• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Perfect Pivot Advice?

Knightmare369

Smash Rookie
I have almost every SSB4 advanced thechnique down except Perfect Pivots. Every time I try to do a PP I kind of do a skid and that gray smoke comes up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong so if someone could help that'd be nice.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You're holding the second direction for too long. If you hold it for more than a frame, you start a dash, and you'll do an on-spot dash instead of a PP.
Everyone finds their own little "sweetspot' way of doing it. I'm not very consistent with pivots, but I found myself being more consistent while being gentle rather than trying to do it on a rush. So I just run backwards and gently, but quickly, move my stick about halfway to the other side, then I let go.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I have almost every SSB4 advanced thechnique down except Perfect Pivots. Every time I try to do a PP I kind of do a skid and that gray smoke comes up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong so if someone could help that'd be nice.
try it on 1/4 speed. It helps me cause you have 4 frames to react instead of 1. Then move to 1/2, then 2/3, and then on full speed. This is all on training mode mind you. Then practice on cpu's, for glory, and then you can go tournament (If you prefer that)

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Trying on lower speeds helps... very little. At best you'll learn the concept of it, but the entire way it is done changes depending on the speed, and it's best to learn it at full speed from the beginning because of it.
Just familiarize yourself with the PP motion, and soon enough you'll get it down without having to resort to having lower speeds vaguely helping you.

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
When I perfect pivot I do it like this it:GCUL::GCN::GCDR: minimizes the distance I have to more my analog stick. which makes it easier.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
For very long, I swore for Tap Jump, but after I turned it off, really, it only seemed to help me. Any sort of quick movement regarding the stick becomes much easier, since it's so easy to accidentally input a jump with Tap Jump on. If you stop using Tap Jump and find yourself having trouble Full Hopping or Short Hopping, you can always set a button you don't use to jump and train jumping with that one.
I couldn't even dream of Pivoting back when I used Tap Jump.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
For very long, I swore for Tap Jump, but after I turned it off, really, it only seemed to help me. Any sort of quick movement regarding the stick becomes much easier, since it's so easy to accidentally input a jump with Tap Jump on. If you stop using Tap Jump and find yourself having trouble Full Hopping or Short Hopping, you can always set a button you don't use to jump and train jumping with that one.
I couldn't even dream of Pivoting back when I used Tap Jump.
Did you ever use tap jump as your primary jump?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Did you ever use tap jump as your primary jump?
Yes - for 9 years. I didn't even figure out you could disable it until late 2015, and I only stopped using it some 4 months ago, and I don't miss it frankly.

Top Bottom