• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who defend the approach of the ballot don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
First, I voted for Ridley.

Second, I will be leaving sources throughout this post to prove my points.

I am addressing the issue throughout the internet from people who say "who cares if Sora beat Bayonetta? We got both in the end". This topic will explain the massive problems with people defending this, emphasise Sakurai's role in the plot and hopefully get some fans to wake up and realise that just because he works hard on the game does not mean he should receive zero blame in the matter for the toxicity of the fanbase. It is like people use the "Sakurai works hard" line as a scapegoat.

When DLC beyond Mewtwo was announced fans threw their votes in to tell Nintendo and Sakurai how they feel. The fact the veterans were saved for Ultimate all but confirms Sakurai knew they would win. Naturally the first Nintendo related newcomers predicted were K.Rool and Ridley, Ridley had already been directly commented on. Splatoon was the hot new IP that sold incredibly despite the fact that Wii U had long failed, you can argue the ballot opening before it's release hindered Inkling's chances, but the hype was clearly there. So when Sakurai announced Bayonetta (a character from a franchise known to have failed and which was bombarded with hate due to the sequel being Nintendo exclusive) won the ballot eyebrows were raised by a group of people.

But whenever these people came forward and addressed the elephant in the room they were told "its because your character was not that popular". Really? Are you seriously telling me my favourite video game character, a character Sakurai had to comment on, had been beaten by Bayonetta??????? NO WAY!!!!!! Then Ultimate happened, and the lie was finally exposed. The chances are they ended up with more returning characters than Sakurai originally anticipated and since they were so close to finishing the roster his plan was to port the Wii U game to the then codenamed Nintendo NX and finish the job.

Reggie at the time claimed he was not aware of instances they were turned down and everybody cooprated but Sakurai acknowledged Sora, Banjo and Snake beat Bayonetta so either this was PR BS or Reggie is very out of the loop. Given he would have a big say when talking to western third parties I think he knew but who can tell? It is worth noting that Banjo has never been stated to have been rejected so his negotiations were probably ongoing but given Sakurai's comment, at least one more was. This brings us to the current elephant in the room. Yeah, Sora, Banjo and Snake beat Bayonetta and still got in, but what if there are others we still don't know about? Crash is a big name, where is he? Rayman perhaps?

Given Sakurai was already talking to Platinum before DLC I think Bayonetta was supposed to be DLC and nothing more. I just cannot believe for one minute she placed high at all. And yes, I fully believe Ridley beat her. Why should I believe anything Sakurai says? He's admitted the veterans and several third parties beat her (the names we suspected to). I realise he works hard, the game proves that. The fact the series is so popular and is now being plagiarised by every company looking to jump on the bandwagon proves how much he was onto something with this game. But that does not excuse lying. Sakurai lied to our faces and he absolutely needs to be held accountable for this. We KNEW Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, K.Rool and Ridley would place high but those who called it out were condescended by people who took Sakurai at his word. Defending Sakurai's lie is not cool and just proves you simply do not learn lessons. If you were being lied to by a friend or partner and they were using you as a shield to protect them from the trouble they bring on, would you continue defending them even though they slander your name?

The fans need to come together and accept the possibility the ballot had absolutely nothing to do with Bayonetta's inclusion. Even if Inkling didn't have voters willing to wait and see if they like Splatoon, it's massive success over Bayonetta 2 proves they probably beat her. Yes Sakurai deserves all the credit for inventing what has become a huge series with a strongly vocal and passionate fanbase as well as basically inventing a sub genre. But he also deserves all the criticism for having us believe that the veterans, K.Rool and Ridley weren't that popular. We know Rex and Waluigi will win a new ballot tomorrow but if Chop from GTA V was to get in its because we underestimated their popularity eh? No. Just no. Its because he is lying.

I am sorry this went on so long, and I congratulate and thank anybody who actually took the time to read over my points. I am sorry for taking up your time like this but apologists need to realise 90% of the time they are going to lose, and if they actually criticise what was morally wrong, they might actually get the result that they want.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crash is a big name, where is he?
If you were around to vote for Ridley, you should've known Crash becoming a huge speculation trend was an Ultimate thing. There might've been some supporters back then, but he really needed the Switch port of the N. Sane Trilogy and the DLC's focus on third-parties to become huge among Smash fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom