• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People sleeping

theparadox

Smash Rookie
Why do people sleep on this character? Sure he's not as potent as he use to be back in his brawl and melee days but he still a force to be reckon with if he is played correctly. But I just feel like people don't respect him as a character no matter how well the person playing him does and I don't like that. I'm not saying hes the best character in the game but at least respect the tools he have and the potential he is capable of. I'm done ranting, I'm curious to hear what other think about this.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem, he isn't as potent as he was, which is why people have left him alone. Falco requires nearly twice as much work to play on a high level. Pre-patch Falco had way to many problems. Some of which have still haven't been completely fixed. His upsmash at high percent was nearly useless because of how often it used to wiff the second hit. His nair was awful, his up air had sweet spot issues as well. All these small issues put a bad mark on him early on causing people to drop him for a another character that was simply coded better.

On top of that at times his options are pretty limited, he has a pretty weak approach game and he has no major techs that help him very much outside of sh phantasm that is still punishable because it doesn't have hitboxes on the whole second half of the animation. Recovery is still easy to beat with a simple well timed nair reaction from most other characters.

I still play Falco because I love his moveset and I love the character, but he's in need of a few changes if he's going to pick up popularity anytime soon.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
People want gimmicks and easy wins pretty much. Which isn't a terrible thing I get it, if you have a character who has tools and moves to succeed against another character to win why not use them? I love my bird forever but people will use high tiers over mid to low tiers everyday during tournaments cuz they want to win. And who knows maybe in a few more months or years falcos gimmick is discovered lol

BlazingRamen

Smash Rookie
People tend to just see Melee and Brawl Falco, and talk about how good they were. Also, there's the neutral game, which Falco isn't very good at.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Personally i stoped using Falco because he is so slow,its hard to follow up on techs and he has almost no range, his laser is also crap and has not been touched in a couple of patches now, aside from been slow he has no weight to him, true he has poential and can combo a lot, but you have to bee too dam precise for him to work, because he is so slow and laggs quite a bit....as soon as i saw that mewtwo got buffed i droped Falco, i still use him from time to time but until Sakurai lowers the end lag of his blaster and gives him a good kill confirm combo like foxes nair/dair to running upsmash im not gonna be to serious about him.....maybe the kill confirm combo is a bit to much bu at least give him better laser :p

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Most people just think about what he's missing from past games. That's obviously not the only reason but that is the largest one as to why people don't take him seirosuly.

The other is that he has very low representation compared to other characters. There's pretty much only 3 or 4 notable Falco players who people would have heard of and know well enough [going to say this as a precaution: I'm not counting myself at all as I haven't really done anything].

All in all, if you want to prove that he's a threat and stop people from sleeping on him you have to rep him and show it. That's what I'm trying to do [poorly atm D:] anyway.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
I feel like people sleep on Falco so much because he requires so much more work to get the same sort of results.
Between two players of equal skill (that is, equal skill on a completely level playing field), one using Falco and one using another character of equal tier ranking (For the sake of example, we'll say Marth), the one not using Falco would likely win because Marth is easier to play.

However, I don't think this is any reason to sleep on the bird. I still play him mostly because:
A) He's fun,
B) Playing him is a lot like practicing with training weights; my play with my other characters gets better
C) His skill cap and raw combo potential are ****ing massive

That last one is why I don't think its fair to sleep on Falco. A really, really good Falco can take an opponent from 0-40% off of nothing more than a grab at the start of the match. Falco's edge-guarding tools are so effective that few characters could avoid death off of good recovery reads.

This is the danger of sleeping on a character as deep as Falco: unpreparedness. Which usually leads to losing.
Yay us.

EDIT: Props to McDareth for reppin Falco at G3

Last edited:

theparadox

Smash Rookie
This new patch update says otherwise, I definitely think he's pretty good now.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the last really good patch was the when they finally fixed Falco's very awful nair and made it slightly less awful and fixed his up air and made the land lag to the fair better
A laser upgrade and a faster dair would be a godsend.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
Didn't get any of that, but fixing his usmash and giving it invincibility ain't too bad either

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Falco isn't that good. Anyone who has tried maining him at anything above low level play can understand this pretty clearly. Many on this board have proposed buffs such as mobility boosts, faster lasers, and other things, but most of these buffs will never happen because

A) They contradict Falco's design
B) Falco is already good online

It's clear that Nintendo wants Falco to be a slower, more aerial-based antithesis to Fox's fast ground game based rushdown style, and I don't think people on smashboards will convince Nintendo to change that archetype. So I think the most realistic buffs for Falco will be related to giving him strengths that don't contradict this archetype, and don't make him too strong. Immediately, I think of a character with a strong baiting & punishing game with strong grab conversions and grappling potential, similar to Luigi.

All it would really take to make a gameplan like this functional would be to give Falco a functional and rewarding grab. This even makes sense in the context of the developers' dichotomy between Falco and Fox, considering Fox gets virtually nothing off of grabs. If they wanted to go the extra mile, he could lose some endlag on his aerials, receive slightly more hitstun on his lasers, and maybe have slightly better dash speed and acceleration (just not as fast as fox).

Top Bottom