• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People need to give Mewtwo a break

RedCaesar

Smash Cadet
I have seen A LOT of tier lists, and they all say the same thing. That Mewtwo is low tier. I just hate seeing him get such bad reception even though he is better than that. I can name like 2 bad moves he has ( up tilt, down air) and he has just a two main issue that people think are such a big deal. His hurtbox and his weight. Okay these are bigger issues, but I see higher tier characters with bigger problems, but just have one good little thing about them. Characters like Bowser have big hurtboxes, characters like Sephiroth are light and tall, and Most top tiers are light characters. Mewtwo has a very good projectile, two really good kill throws, a command grab, combos, amazing aerials, a cheesy down b, an amazing recovery. He just has a bad disadvantage and people label him as low tier. I mean, he has everything you need in a character and more. He just deserves a little better.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
And even then, up tilt and down air aren't that bad. Up tilt can combo into an up smash at very low percents, and an up air at mid percents. Down air's slow startup takes getting used to, but it's a satisfying spike that doesn't stall-and-fall when used offstage, and a highly situational kill move at around 140 when used onstage.

I think Mewtwo's a hard character to pilot at high and top level. It takes a lot of getting used to him to begin to mitigate his very bad disadvantage. But he's a strong character, as WaDi's results have proven. I wouldn't say he's great, but I agree that low tier is severely selling him short.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo is not a low tier, that's for sure. I infact see him as a high tier, but at the lower spectrum. Mewtwo is very explosive, has strong combos and many other strong features, it's just way too easy to KO him. So even if you have a lead as Mewtwo, it's just way too easy to turn things back around. Being easy to hit due to the huge tail hurt box doesn't help, at all. Mewtwo just needed about the weight of say, Mario, to be truly effective in Ultimate. It also doesn't help that his most effective top player, WaDi, seems to have dropped Mewtwo in favor of Samus... So as long as no top player dedicates themselves to this character, don't expect the public opinion on Mewtwo to change soon.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is not a low tier, that's for sure. I infact see him as a high tier, but at the lower spectrum. Mewtwo is very explosive, has strong combos and many other strong features, it's just way too easy to KO him. So even if you have a lead as Mewtwo, it's just way too easy to turn things back around. Being easy to hit due to the huge tail hurt box doesn't help, at all. Mewtwo just needed about the weight of say, Mario, to be truly effective in Ultimate. It also doesn't help that his most effective top player, WaDi, seems to have dropped Mewtwo in favor of Samus... So as long as no top player dedicates themselves to this character, don't expect the public opinion on Mewtwo to change soon.
Alternatively, I think lessening his tail woes would have also gone a long way. They wouldn't even necessarily have had to make it a full disjoint; some %-based armor would have been a good workaround. I don't think the tail thing is too bad, and he's still pretty good even with it. But in a game with swordies out the wazoo, Wolf, and Min Min, getting hit for throwing out my bair feels bad, man.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
A little bit late to the conversation but here's my 2 cents. Mewtwo has an above average neutral and advantage state but is brought down massively by having a bottom 10 disadvantage state. Mewtwo is cursed with almost all the worst traits to have when in disadvantage and it makes the character far too inconsistent to be considered a viable solo character.

• Retreating on the ground is difficult as while he's fast, turning around extends his hurtbox which results in him getting tagged by stray hits and although his roll covers a decent distance it isn't that fast.
  • Mewtwo is not only tall and light but he's also wide and a slow faller. As an example, he takes the worst aspects of :ultsephiroth:and :ultdk:'s disadvantage and combines them because at least Sephiroth has a thinner hurtbox and at least DK has a lot more weight.
  • People meme about the tail and for good reason. Using a tail attack against any character with a sword or disjoint is just asking for trouble and when your character has so many tail based attacks, a good chunk of your moveset becomes a liability.
  • Teleport recoveries are easy to 2 frame in this game and for some reason ledge cancelling with teleport is a lot harder to do with Mewtwo than the likes of :ultpalutena: and :ultzelda:.

As others have mentioned, giving the tail some armour would make the character so much more consistent and likely a top 20-25 candidate but sadly we weren't so lucky.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The flurry attack does deserve a mention, since its knockback is set so low (8 BKB + 10 KBG) that Kazuya can easily tough it out until past 200% damage. Yes, it is a match-up specific dilemma, but still something to keep in mind, since if it takes that long to make Kazuya flinch, then it's a horrible move to use against Bowser (whom won't flinch until well beyond sudden death levels).

Also, Mewtwo has no excuse for being as light as Kirby. For its size, it could've easily been among the lighter middleweights, especially when you look at someone like Marth.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just learned recently that Mewtwo’s down tilt has the same problem as Ridley’s where the sweetspot is worse in almost every way in that it doesn’t combo into anything or sends very far. It do be like that with the tail sweep d-tilts I guess.

Appreciate the few similarities they have otherwise as one whose occasionally picked Mewtwo back up, and am used to playing someone with a bad disadvantage anyway, but yeah, he’s criminally underrated. Never really had an issue with the up tilt though.

Top Bottom