• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People are worried about Project M dying, what do you think?

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
Edit- Moderator note:
PLEASE USE THIS THREAD SOLELY TO DISCUSS IF PROJECT M IS ON A DECLINE/DYING. ANYTHING ELSE WILL RESULT IN WARNINGS/INFRACTIONS.

Now that SmashU is out and is going to major smash tourneys, it has taken a lot of hype from Project M. So much that people are saying its going to die or they are moving on to Smash4. My thoughts? maybe for a entirely ''new'' tech like something that is going to have about the same amount of use of L cancel and wavedashing or new characters?. If new characters were are added, that is going to increase Project M's fanbase a lot. Even more casuals would check it out and play it. But they a new tech would seem interesting. Maybe a shield burst. For example, characters that can't escape shield pressure as easily as others and for the whole cast in all. A shield burst would be useful for this situation. How exactly would it work? I think it should be limited and have to press R or L +B to make your burst to push away your enemy and give them like 10%. This is to keep those high pressure characters like Lucas away for a moment. This is just an idea of tech that might seem interesting to people or gain more peoples attention. Not more attention than the New Characters though. If we could get at least 2 more characters, that would be a bombshell on the internet. Regular people who search the most simple things like ''Smash Bros'' would find the head line ''Project M adds X,Y,And,Z!'' because Sites like Kotaku and Sliconera and Ign would be showing it off. it would be all over the internet. It happens all the time. This would be a major savior for it, BUT WE DON'T KNOW IF THE TEAM ARE ADDING ANY NEW CHARACTERS! Curses. I think it the Team showed off even WIP(Work in Progress) character stuff, it would attract more players. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
R/L+A is the grab command, buddy.

Zoa

Smash Ace
PM isn't dying. It's still getting plenty of tournament representation. The problem with this line of thinking isn't sound. It's generally based on APEX and CEO. PM isn't at APEX because of Nintendo's sponsorship. CEO isn't hosting PM because the director (position title correct?) has clarified that it would be difficult to host three different Smash games. Personally I think Smash 4 will die.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Now that SmashU is out and is going to major smash tourneys, it has taken a lot of hype from Project M. So much that people are saying its going to die or they are moving on to Smash4.
In other words, people that will move onto the next game simply because it's new rather than the quality of the game itself. P:M is not for those people. The only thing dying from Smash 4's release is Brawl for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
In other words, people that will move onto the next game simply because it's new rather than the quality of the game itself. P:M is not for those people. The only thing dying from Smash 4's release is Brawl.
Brawl has been died for a long time.(yes i know i put died. It seems funny to me)

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i'll admit the shield burst idea sounds interesting. not necessary at all, but interesting.

quite a few characters could befenit from having atleast some sort of way of dealing with shield pressure from characters faster than them.

obviously it would need to be balanced. Like it should only be possible to activate during shieldstun while getting hit, meaning it would require some sort of precision. Also right after use, your shield would need to renegerate from the smallest shield size before breakage, leaving you almosy defenseless with the risk of having your shield broken.

the knockback from the shield burst should be small , but enough to set opponent into tumble ...setting up a tech read.

i wouldn't mind seeing this tested atleast

Oh and no, Project M is nowhere near dying.

Last edited:

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
i'll admit the shield burst idea sounds interesting. not necessary at all, but interesting.

quite a few characters could befenit from having atleast some sort of way of dealing with shield pressure from characters faster than them.

obviously it would need to be balanced. Like it should only be possible to activate during shieldstun while getting hit, meaning it would require some sort of precision. Also right after use, your shield would need to renegerate from the smallest shield size before breakage, leaving you almosy defenseless with the risk of having your shield broken.

the knockback from the shield burst should be small , but enough to set opponent into tumble ...setting up a tech read.

i wouldn't mind seeing this tested atleast

Oh and no, Project M is nowhere near dying.

Im happy to see there is at least some interest in my idea. I just think its a little unfair for big people like bowser to always be shielding because of pressure demons. This could be a game changer for the Big guys.

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
I don't think that the game is going to die any time soon. If PM was at Apex this year it would have been huge but I think that we should still look at Nintendo's interest as a good thing. There will still be majors that host PM besides just Apex.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I can agree that it feels like less people are playing PM right now. That's partly because of smash 4, but mostly because of 3.5

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
As long as Melee is still a thing, Project M will simply refuse to die. Unfortunately, the lack of true majors to showcase it do hurt the scene a lot, since most players are focusing on the things that will appear in the majors.

Anyway, CEO's argument of events running 3 Smashes is pretty much inviable for many tournaments, especially considering that Smash brackets tend to take too long. Smash 4 is too different to compete with PM and Melee, but either PM or Melee might wind up fighting for tournaments.

I agree that some new characters could breathe some fresh air into the game, but Shield Burst?
Nah, as much as I like Blazblue and Guilty Gear, Bursts would never fit well in Smash, let alone PM.

Still, new characters would be a very important addition to PM.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Don't **** with mechanics. Unless it's just something character-specific, I could maybe see it on Yoshi to give his unusual shield a selling point. But don't put it on the whole cast and change the whole game.

I recently posted this on reddit, I'll repost it here:
I've been thinking with everything going on lately, maybe the PMDT should try and fast-track an early release for 3.6 as a minor update just to rejuvenate interest and remind people that PM is still relevant and Smash 4 isn't replacing it. If everyone-is-Ice-Climbers mode is ready yet, that'd be really big to help set it apart for everyone who misses ICs in SSB4. Maybe add some costumes for Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Roy too, market it with the exclusive characters you won't find in 4. If there's a new stage or two ready to go, great, throw 'em in. Any new quality of life improvements they can add, add them. Wii U Gamecube Adapter support, maybe? One small feature I'd like to see is using the alternate stage loader to access the classic versions of the N64 remakes - I know the PMDT didn't want to use the alternate stage loader due to issues with random select and My Music, but if we're just talking about textures of the same stages that should be fine, right? Also a button code for 24/7 K.K. Slider on Smashville would really make me happy.

Now, I know there's the issue of rebalancing too often, and I'd stay away from any major changes there. Right now nothing stands out as needing nerfs, though there are a few characters that could use small buffs and people tend not to complain about buffs. I don't think anyone will have a problem with buffing Olimar just a little bit. and Puff pls

Just get something together, anything, and call it 3.6 for the sake of drumming up hype again.
As for new characters, we know they're on the way but I highly doubt they're ready for release. But perhaps instead of a release they could just put out a reveal trailer for them, that'd get plenty of attention too. Anything they can show, show it, now is the best time to grab people's eyeballs again before interest keeps waning any further.

Or how about just revealing 47 already?

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Don't **** with mechanics. Unless it's just something character-specific, I could maybe see it on Yoshi to give his unusual shield a selling point. But don't put it on the whole cast and change the whole game.

I recently posted this on reddit, I'll repost it here:

As for new characters, we know they're on the way but I highly doubt they're ready for release. But perhaps instead of a release they could just put out a reveal trailer for them, that'd get plenty of attention too. Anything they can show, show it, now is the best time to grab people's eyeballs again before interest keeps waning any further.

Or how about just revealing 47 already?
New characters on the way? Is there any legit confirmation on that?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
In other words, people that will move onto the next game simply because it's new rather than the quality of the game itself. P:M is not for those people. The only thing dying from Smash 4's release is Brawl.
I'm someone who believes that Smash 4 is perfectly competent and even I know P:M isn't going anywhere. And with the way Wii games work on the Wii U eShop, I think P:M might even get a resurgence once Brawl is put up for digital sale.

P:M is to Smash 4 as Street Fighter Alpha is to Street Fighter II. Separate from the main line, loved for its own style of play while the other is loved for its style of play. And if I'm right about the eShop thing, I'll have direct icons to both right next to each other on my console's menu. Just like I do SFA2 and SFII.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Even if they did put Brawl up, which I doubt, they'd definitely patch the Stage Builder exploit first. It's running from the Wii U menu in Wii U mode, so leaving the exploit in would give us a vector to get in there instead of just the vWii sandbox. No way will they allow that. And we're not gonna be able to take our existing exploits inside the vWii sandbox to break into Wii U Brawl.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
People will play PM for the same reasons they play Melee and more. The problem is the lack of representation of PM in major tournaments. That kind of thing makes people rusty and slowly kills the competitive scene.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Even if they did put Brawl up, which I doubt, they'd definitely patch the Stage Builder exploit first. It's running from the Wii U menu in Wii U mode, so leaving the exploit in would give us a vector to get in there instead of just the vWii sandbox. No way will they allow that. And we're not gonna be able to take our existing exploits inside the vWii sandbox to break into Wii U Brawl.
Wrong. Wii games temporarily redirect the console to Wii Mode; that's why there's no Galaxy 2 Miiverse community.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
There's absolutely nothing you could add to PM that's going to bring back players that want to play the newest Smash Brothers competitively.

What was the competitive split before? Melee/Brawl/PM? It's probably just going to be Melee/Sm4sh/PM now. And PM has the advantage of the only game, out of the three, that's actively being balanced to perfect it's competitive gameplay.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Still patchable since it's a re-release.
Not necessarily. Patch one thing, and something else is affected. This campaign relies on the games working exactly as they would on disk, so they might not take the risk of potentially changing something else in Brawl by mistake with a quick fix for that glitch.

And it's not like they can just disable the stage builder or the ability to save to SD card. Most of the people who would want to buy Brawl would not do without it sitting down.

tl;dr: It's possible, but not without a gigantic risk.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The only people saying it's going to die are the ones who want it to die. If you don't want it to die, don't even treat it as a possibility and carry on as normal.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The only people saying it's going to die are the ones who want it to die. If you don't want it to die, don't even treat it as a possibility and carry on as normal.
I think if you don't want it to die then the best course of action is to go hard supporting it, not "carrying on as normal." I don't think it'll die but complacency would certainly not be the power play here.

MLGF

Smash Lord
We need a major with PM as the focus really, hear that's going on so hey good stuff.

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
It is dying. Not a lot of people liked 3.5. So it is actually dying, if they don't do something remarkable soon. More people like Sm4sh over PM now.

SunJester

Smash Ace
PM is much better off this year than we were in 2013. 2014 was just a huge year for us, we had massive attendance in every single big smash event. The end of 2014 was rough due to the double whammy of Apex, and their subsequent suppression of PM at almost all apex series tournaments, and the release of Sm4sh.

PM still has a huge following at locals, and attracts a large amount of new players all the time. People like the balance, the variety and the aesthetic changes. Plus with 3.5, PM has seen its best release so far in terms of balance.

We just need to focus on hyping up tournaments, (tomorrow is Flex Zone, featuring Prof Pro, Rolex, Emu killer, FS crew etc) and the upcoming LTC3 which should be considered the premier PM national. (if you ask me, anyone who's anyone in PM should go there to prove their abilities). Hopefully we'll get into Big House again, I wouldn't be counting on zenith this time.

This scene isn't dying but if enough people misdiagnose it, it will be seen as dead and ignored. This has been a rough couple of months but its nothing we can't bounce back from, just go hard promoting tournaments right now, I think the locals are as strong (if not stronger) than ever before, so right now we just need the national/international exposure from tournaments and streams to kick some life back into PM.

If you're a big player in the community please tweet out tournaments, and host streams for PM, even if its just you screwing around with your friends in your room. Being there and being around for new players to talk to really builds a sense of community.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
so right now we just need the national/international exposure from tournaments and streams to kick some life back into PM.
Unfortunately Apex is going around strongarming other majors now too. Paragon is running a PM bracket right now but they were forced to keep it offstream so nobody can watch. Seems to me like things are just getting worse from here, it's spreading.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
By who?
If people wanna play hardball, so be it.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There's places that can continue on without being affected too much, but I know for sure that the scene's effectively dead where I'm at now. If I had any time to do something about it, I'd love to but that's not something I can afford to do. As far as I can tell, Paragon is PM's swan song for Florida (at least CFL).

abcool

Smash Ace
I really dislike it when people complain about 3.5 balance. It is the best version of Project M I have ever played. I hated 3.02. I never watched it on stream and that one time I did I saw Emukiller beating M2K and Armada and other top players then ADMITTING he sucks and its the character.

I also saw M2K recover from the bottom of Green hill zone with Up+B (As Mario) just to come back on another player who should have clearly won.

I was a Melee purist until Project M 3.5 came out and I have introduced it to my scene and pushed for it to grow the scene, just because of its balance patches. You wonder why Melee players called Project M "easy mode" before? Its because the game catered to gimmicky play over actual skill, but now that 3.5 is out and you actually have to know more about the game and everything is reduced to hard skill instead of dumb gimmicks; some terrible players complain?! Wow... Now I see why dudes were so harsh.

Top Bottom