• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pentakill 3! 7/12/14 Poinciana, FL

//JaZz\\

Smash Journeyman
Well from the last one 12pm noon was when everything starts but ima be early at KDB's which is the TO host at 9am. He's house is just around the corner from venue. I will be training there

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Guess I'll just hang out around Poinciana till 12... See what's new... Get up around 9:30, pack up the equipment, have breakfast at the publix maybe, if its still open.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, Wispy, you'll probably run into me and Din if you go even remotely near the venue early.
I don't know if Din might be up to the idea of going over to KDB's place.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Prolly. I'll prolly be at the venue at 11:30, like to arrive early to places.

On a side note, if anyone needs a doubles partner for PM, I'm a great last option! Now I SD 35% of the time!

No but I feel I can hold my own, if anyone needs a partner. I'm not the best but I don't give up. Probably would go Squirtle for dubz, Charizard's hitboxes are too big.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
PM doubles, huh? I might consider it. It sounds fun.

On a similar note, I'm still looking for a partner for brawl doubles.
I'd offer to join ya but I'm pretty bad at Brawl, or rather, out of practice... Be better off finding someone more active in it.

UmmBees

Smash Apprentice
I just found out about this today and plan on coming tomorrow from Fort Myers, I'm bringing a PM setup too. Just to make sure it's still on right?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm in the McD's nearby already, having breakfast.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Today was a load of fun and hype, guys. Thanks for helping me get my head back in the game!:4pacman:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Today was a load of fun and hype, guys. Thanks for helping me get my head back in the game!:4pacman:
I second the sentiment. Great practice, shout out to Bees for the funniest G&W dittos, and to everyone for all the tips and practice.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
All right guys, it's time for the usual posts that occur after these hype tournaments at Pentakill; Shoutouts~!

Shout outs to Kyon for an amazing Peach. I've seen it before but playing against it was pretty awesome.

Shouts outs Zach777 for a close set. You almost had me, there!

Shout outs to Ryo for showing off that Ike and a solid Roy in PM.

Shout outs to Domo for a great sonic in PM and fun sets.

Shout outs to KDB for not playing friendlies with me playing hosting the event and doing his TO stuff.

Shout outs to Din for helping me do so well in the Toon Link match up and being one of my main sparring partners.

Shout outs to P.I.E for PM sets and hosting. Always good playing smash with you, man!

Shout outs to Jazz for learning Melee/PM fundamentals in so little time! Good stuff in brawl as always. Wish I could have played friendlies.

Shout outs to Ixis for the solid Wario as always. We barely ever get singles friendlies in!

This was overall great turn out. Already getting hype for the next one! See you guys next time!

Last edited:

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
All right guys, it's time for the usual posts that occur after these hype tournaments at Pentakill; Shoutouts~!

Shout outs to Kyon for an amazing Peach. I've seen it before but playing against it was pretty awesome.

Shouts outs Zach777 for a close set. You almost had me, there!

Shout outs to Ryo for showing off that Ike and a solid Roy in PM.

Shout outs to Domo for a great sonic in PM and fun sets.

Shout outs to KDB for not playing friendlies with me playing for hosting the event and doing his TO stuff.

Shout outs to Din for helping me do so well in the Toon Link match up and being one of my main sparring partners.

Shout outs to P.I.E for PM sets and hosting. Always good playing smash with you, man!

Shout outs to Jazz for learning Melee/PM fundamentals in so little time! Good stuff in brawl as always. Wish I could have played friendlies.

Shout outs to Ixis for the solid Wario as always. We barely ever get singles friendlies in!

This was overall great turn out. Already getting hype for the next one! See you guys next time!

shout outs to ookami for being free in pm >.> lol sorry my bad dude I was just chilling today the only thing i entered was brawl doubles dont worry I'll expose you in pm at game academy XD

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Shout outs to Bees, Wispy, and Anvil for a lot of fun in friendlies as well as Dolo for making it clear to me I need to learn the MK matchup. Seems like Fox works better than I would've thought.

P.S. I saw that we were recording and streaming matches. Are they/will they be on YouTube soon?

UmmBees

Smash Apprentice
Shout outs to Bees, Wispy, and Anvil for a lot of fun in friendlies as well as Dolo for making it clear to me I need to learn the MK matchup. Seems like Fox works better than I would've thought.

P.S. I saw that we were recording and streaming matches. Are they/will they be on YouTube soon?
Thanks for the friendlies man, and the person that recorded the matches near the TO desk as uploaded some already to his channel which is Momentum Shift

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Well I guess it's my turn to give my condolences. First off, thanks to KDB and P.I.E. (and whoever else that played the part) for the tournaments and venue. The event would not have existed without the effort from you guys. Also, to Okami for having a great fox and exposing my Sonic in tournament not once, but twice. Also, thanks to KDB (KirbyDaBest) for being a really calm and humble guy amongst the chaos that comes along with running multiple tournaments. Thanks to Jeck, Pidove, KDB, and Ryo for holding down the mic during the stream at different times.Thanks to Din for supplying me with an additional headset to use during the tournament, as well as some useful intel on streaming in the future.

And...while we're on the topic of streaming, I have to apologize for the number of technical difficulties that were prevalent during this tournament. Audio for the second mic was awful as a result of the plugin that I was using for it, which ultimately ruined the audio quality for the entire tournament. Also, because I didn't have a good enough internet connection, my computer struggled to keep webcams turned on, video quality was blurry (lowered settings as a result of poor internet) and scene transitions were incredibly sluggish. All of these issues are issues that I usually do not have to deal with and are tellings that I need to do a lot more homework on streaming and that I need better equipment.

As aforementioned, the stream matches can be watched on http://www.twitch.tv/gatorgaming/profile/pastBroadcasts Unfortunately, there were a TON of technical difficulties, so a lot of footage may not meet your standards, but if you did play on stream, your matches will most likely be there.

Shoutouts to Gainesville placing top 3 in every tournament. Shoutouts to Pidove and Dolo for getting a money match on stream. Was hoping to get a Gainesville v. Poinciana crew battle in there as well, but there wasn't enough time for it. Shoot, there wasn't even enough time to finish the Project M Singles Grand Finals, which, in turn, leads to what I have to say next...suggestions.

For your next Pentakill, or event or whatever, I recommend not running 4 tournaments, ESPECIALLY if two of them are Brawl tournaments. Brawl tournaments take a shocking amount of time. As a part of Gator Gaming, we have Major LAN events three times a year, and honestly, Brawl takes up SO much time that we usually have to stop broadcasting it, otherwise it will ruin our other scueduled tournaments. 8 hours (which is how long you guys had the venue) is not long enough for Brawl Doubles, Brawl Singles, Project M Doubles, and Project M Singles. That's a twelve hour event that you guys planned. If I had known that we only had the venue till 8, I would have recommended that we cut 2 of the tournaments. The only reason why we were able to run 3 of the 4 tournaments was because we didn't have as great a turnout as we expected. Also, for next time, try to have a place for people to go just before the event starts. When we showed up about 40 minutes early, we weren't allowed in the venue and we weren't allowing in KDB's house, which were the established locations for the event. As a result, we were kinda stuck bouncing around with no place to go and that was right after a 2 and a half hour drive. I know you guys didn't mean for that to happen, but it's something that will keep traveling participants coming back, which is hospitality.

Pros:
-Tournament name is awesome (Pentakill 3). It has a nice ring to it and the fact that it is the third one makes it sound as if this tourney is extra legit
-There was no shortage of equipment
-There were a lot of setups
-Plenty of tables
-Venue had a bathroom that was very close to the event
-There was a refrigerator and food at the event, albeit expensive (might want to lower the prices a bit)
-For the most part, people showed for their matches

Cons
-Internet was awful for streaming
-Venue wasn't reserved for long enough for the number of tournaments held
-Not the best turnout, but sometimes that can't be helped
-Venue staff were a little ridiculous, they wouldn't let us setup early AND I heard that someone was going to call the police on us and I heard this around 7:30pm which was still within our scheduled venue time...I mean, we're gamers...why call the police?

I'd say you guys should choose a different venue for this sort of thing. I can honestly say that the venue was the reason for a lot of the issues at the event in my opinion. Otherwise, good job and I really hope this continues. Wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing with you guys again if these issues are fixed next time.

PS: I apologize for such a long post, and I really hope that you guys take what I have said as constructive criticism. Believe me when I tell you this, this tournament has a good chance at becoming big. It has some serious good points that a lot of tournaments struggle with (i.e. lame tournament titles, not enough setups, not enough TVs, angry TOs, restrooms and food are far away from the tournament etc.)

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
AND I heard that someone was going to call the police on us and I heard this around 7:30pm which was still within our scheduled venue time...I mean, we're gamers...why call the police?
Just like to state that the thing with the where police were mentioned actually occurred at the first Pentakill tournament that was hosted, not this particular one.
Good stuff, man! I hope to see Gatorgaming helping out with streaming again next time!

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
For the most part, I agree with what Domo-dono said.

Except for.

1. PM couldn't finish because we had to do a bracket reset because Gainseville had to keep fighting each other in bracket. PIE, to remedy this you either have to tell them they have to deal or seed the bracket so that does not happen.

2. I know why Brawl takes longer and I see Domo-dono's point about the four events, but you could start making everything start sooner. Like, both doubles start at 12:40 and both singles start at 1:30. Also, Brawl should be favored with setups because it takes longer. I felt like PM had more set-ups which was alright given the fact it had more entrants than Brawl, but if both games get the same number of entrants , Brawl should be favored.

Also, I love the venue that we have been using.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Anyone got results for PM? 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are fine, if anything.
1st. Ryo-Guikido
2nd. Ricky
3rd. Jeck95

Kirbydabest would have the rest of the results for PM. He was the TO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom