• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach matchup

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Alright lets get this **** started. I've been playing around with this matchup a little after watching zoma vs shippu. Basically i think the main problems in this matchup are float and turnips. Downsmash shouldnt be much of a problem since mewtwo is so slippery shielding will push you out of it and let you punish OoS with a DJC fair -> uptilt at low %'s, a dair -> anything at mid to high %s, or a disable. Charging SB is crucial in this matchup as it gives you many opportunities to punish peach while shes airborne. Charging SB should be fairly easy as turnip pulls give you plenty of time to react and you can charge cancel and teleport around platforms.
Float can be troublesome but you have a few answers to it. If shes floating real close to the ground you can keep her out with dtilts. If her feet are leveled with your face thats probably the most troublesome float height. You can punish it with a charged SB or wall her out with fading SH AC bairs. Keep in mind you have to throw them in front of peach, not at her because she can nair before your bair come hitbox is out. If shes higher up you can hit with upairs or bairs. If you can get her on a platform poke her with mewtwo stuff. You can also do a fading disable if shes under a platform so you can knock her down on it but thats really situational, although if you do it while shes in the air and she DJ to escape you might get a grab or SB punish.
Moreover, turnips can be shielded(shield DI in) and caught by jumping OoS and pushing Z. Remember not to analog jump too much towards peach, just jump enough to catch the turnip. You can also catch them with A on the ground as mewtwo's item grab range is pretty good. Turnip drop is 1 frame and can potentially lead into a fair or nair since you can do the aerial the frame after the z input.
As for followups, mewtwo has few options, but some interesting ones. Like in most matchups dtilt will lead into anything if the opponent has bad DI. Apart from that you have DJC fair -> followup at low %s, Rising fullhop fair ->aerial at low to mid %s( like 0-40% or something) and dair -> aerial at high%s. Its hard to get these except off a dsmash or dash attack punish.
Grabs are hard to get but a back throw is a great opportunity to get a SB off and obviously upthrow will kill at high %s although getting them on a platform before upthrowing them will help you score earlier kills. Dthrow can be a DI trap at higher %s. If you dthrow them while in the middle of a stage with platforms they can either choose to DI up and eat an aerial or DI away and fall on the platform which can give you a followup (time to try that prof disable reset boys). So dthrow in the middle of the stage if upthrow wont kill or backthrow if youre at the sides of the stage.
Neutral might not be as bad as you think so long as you can deal with turnips. For one you can force her into the air with dtilts. If they stay grounded you can actually make use of your dashdance effectively in this matchup to fish for a grab or bait a dash attack to get a shield grab. If you wanna get fancy you can do some pivot shenanigans too. Peach is too slow to punish teleport too so make full use of the mobility advantage you have over her. In general i think PS is the best stage for this matchup. Platforms to teleport to, space to run, low ceiling, what else could you want? Besides that i think id stick with Battlefield and Yoshis.

Plenty of things i didnt mention but start discussing anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Oh, there's probably no reason to hard shield instead of light shield in this matchup. Only exception would be dash attack. Random thought I had.
I'd imagine hard shield would be better for punishing stuff on hit rather than escaping. Besides that I've got nothing, though. As far as I can see there's not much point to hard shield with M2 at all.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Actually when you get shield pressured by spacies sometimes hard shield can get you a shieldgrab just because youre really slippery and spacie pressure doesnt have a lot of base KB. Also if peach jabs too close after a FC fair(like most peaches do) you can get a shield grab if you shield DI'ed the Fair in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Just looked into it. If they do it perfectly they get a 4 frame advantage which is 1 frame too late for mewtwo to buffer roll. Might as well just lightshield anything from float. I think while peach is grounded its ok to hard shield so you can catch turnips off your shield faster and punish dsmash. Im pretty sure dsmash sends you too far when you light shield. When you hard shield you get knocked out of range by the second hit even if you shield DI in so i think it best to angle your shield in and down against dsmash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
This got me thinking about how good PS would be in this MU. Do you know if your tail gets hit by dsmash when you uptilt or djc upair peach from under a platform? If not then i think PS makes the MU pretty even or if anything slightly in mewtwos favor. Itd let you charge SB on platforms while being able to chargecancel shielddrop or teleport away from peaches incredibly slow approaches. I guess the real threat is if peach decides to look for a stitch, especially with that new knitting tech. Then again you can always catch turnips.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I was watching this set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK9sfN2xUE and i noticed Taj does side b many times and Taj manages to shield the punish. I thought something was off and then i noticed Peach seems to be really far away from mewtwo during confusion compared to falcon and the spacies.
Is this Armada drifting away or is peach actually farther away than the other characters in the confusion animation? Or maybe Peaches lack of range coupled with average reaction time stops armada from punishing this in time. I dont have a setup so if someone could look into this thatd be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Taj played like an idiot in that set. He could have had a fully charged SB every time he killed peach but he decided to upsmash to taunt instead. I also dont agree with shooting baby SBs in this MU when slowly charging it benefits you much more.
Besides PS what other stage do you think benefits mewtwo?

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Taj played like an idiot in that set. He could have had a fully charged SB every time he killed peach but he decided to upsmash to taunt instead. I also dont agree with shooting baby SBs in this MU when slowly charging it benefits you much more.
Besides PS what other stage do you think benefits mewtwo?
I always imagined Dream Land is a pretty good pick. Not sure if it's just because my playstyle relies so much on gimping so much right now to make up for my horrible everything else. Bair is a legend.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Idk i might have to disagree with DL in this MU. The space is nice but the early killing potential isnt there. Plus it makes it hard to throw peach offstage and rack up damage with bair since the stage itself is too big. Id say aside from PS either battlefield or FD are your best choices. Idk about FD though i think platforms make it safer to charge SB or shark her after launching her in the air. Peach doesnt really gain anything from platforms aside from a recovery option which mewtwo can easily cover.
Also we should keep in mind that pummeling is important in this MU since a grab wont guarantee followups.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Idk i might have to disagree with DL in this MU. The space is nice but the early killing potential isnt there. Plus it makes it hard to throw peach offstage and rack up damage with bair since the stage itself is too big. Id say aside from PS either battlefield or FD are your best choices. Idk about FD though i think platforms make it safer to charge SB or shark her after launching her in the air. Peach doesnt really gain anything from platforms aside from a recovery option which mewtwo can easily cover.
Also we should keep in mind that pummeling is important in this MU since a grab wont guarantee followups.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and thought this was the Metagame threaed so I was speaking in general and even then primarily against spacies. In regards to Peach specifically battlefield is usually my stage of choice. I don't particularly like FD mostly because of the platforms.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Use max spacing when you can. Notice the usage of utilt and upward tilted ftilt to shut down Peach's float at times. Approach Peach's float carefully though. Wavedashing into it may be reacted, and Peach may just close in and ruin your spacing. All of Peach's moves beat Peach's. Combos on Peach involve bair and uair and low percents, and they're very situational.

You want to run away and wear down Peach until you can get an uthrow or fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8hUBnh8Ufw

Light shield worked in my favor, but using hard shield with inward shield DI into shieldgrab against jabs is good, although you need to read / react to whether Peach will do 1 or 2 slaps. You can sometimes shield away and whiff punish Peach with disable on her jabs and ftilt like in the video (and like in my other video against Ganon), but a good Peach will adapt.

Shield-dropping allows you to get some counter attacks and combo setups that you couldn't get otherwise, like what I did in 5:02.

Also, know your uthrow numbers. I don't know them, and that makes me a scrub.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I think Taj didn't his charge Shadowball because he likes taunting with upsmash after each kill. He was pleasing the crowd. Small shadowballs are ineffective at keeping Peach out since at short-hop height, Mewtwo will tend to shoot close to the floor given the amount of startup they have. Fully charged shadowballs in the other hand, cover the right range and hit hard, so they're always preferable.

Besides charging after kills, you won't really get time to charge a shadowball because Peach is always threatening space.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Taj didn't charge his Shadow Ball cause he likes using the mini Shadow Balls to control peach's float height and to open up potential approaches. He probably also didn't want to deal with the full charge pushback especially since he'd short hop his SBs a lot.

I'm not too large a fan of mini shadow balls myself but taj is crazy good at using them in like every matchup.
Against the fastfallers baby shadowballs are good since it forces them to either shield, jump, or go through a whole SHFFL sequence which is more than enough time for mewtwo to gain back some stage control or punish if they SHFFL towards you. The problem in this MU is that peach can swat the baby SB while closing space and has the option to space another aerial or FC it while youre still stuck in endlag. I really think charging it is much better since you can roll away or bait with chargecancel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom