• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach and Controller Configurations

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Hey everyone,

I've heard quite a bit of talk about changing controller buttons when using Peach. However, I've never actually used it.

What do you guys recommend?
Ive heard changing the Spare Jump Button, Shield Buttons, and even attack buttons around in the mix, but I can never get a clear picture of the benefits of each.

Pls explain ;___;

My own personal questions:
Would changing controller configurations make D-Tilt + Uair Pulldown + D-Tilt much easier? I'm never able to pull it off. :/
Ive heard changing an L or R button to "attack" makes hitting nairs a lot easier..... how is that? How is L or R different than just using "A"?

TownOfCrown

Smash Rookie
I map jump to R so that I can float and still have easy access to all the buttons and c-stick. I've never tried attack on a trigger, but I do recommend jump on one.

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
I've been playing for more than 10 years now and I've always played default controls including tap jump.

MiniM

Smash Rookie
Tap jump always off IMO. Makes Paisy's air game a lot better/more consistent. Less room for input mistakes in general as well.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
So like TownOfCrown already noted i'd generally always go for the jump shoulderbutton because that way you can jump, use the c-stick for aerials and simultaneously tilt your L-stick into the direction you want to move. Makes your aerialgame much more fluent IMO. Also worth noting that reverse backairs are easier to pull of that way, for me at least

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
I've personally never had an issue with default controls. Didn't know people used anything else lol. For me, Jumping/Floating with X and then either using A or the C Stick for aerials has worked like a charm.

Last edited:

clandest1ne

Smash Rookie
Its fairly common sense to map jump to a trigger as peach (likely right trigger if you are right handed, as you will have more control over short hops being that jumpsquat frames have been reduced in ultimate) because it lets you manipulate your jumping and leave your thumb to attack using either the attack buttons or the cstick. Its just a matter of using the resources you have (your fingers/thumbs) in the most logical and beneficial way. There is no reason to force your single thumb to control your jumping, A attacking, Specials AND Cstick at the same time especially with a character that requires so much control over her jumping. Turning tap jump off gives further control over potential erroneous jumps while also making it easier to up-tilt. When switching over, de-map jump from x and y temporarily so that your only choice is the trigger and you will build the muscle memory up much quicker. Personally, i map jump to right trigger, grab on left trigger, put both bumpers on shield, tap jump off.

And as somebody who has been practicing DTilt > UAir spike lately i can say that you will find it easier just due to letting your fingers/thumb focus on what they need to do instead of trying to make your thumb do it all. Infact, you will find -alot- of things with peach easier and just find that you have far more control in general after mapping those couple of things differently.

Last edited:

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
Eh, I guess all that's fine. I've personally never had any issues playing her at a high level with default controls. It's just kinda interesting to see these types of remappings. And to add onto that, I've never 'forced' myself to use A and X. But to be fair, I have big fingers, so using my thumb to hit both has never been an issue for me.

Last edited:

ColinKasper

Smash Rookie
NNID
HardcoreHero
Switch FC
SW-7839-9040-1316
I've always used tap jump with Peach just fine however recently adapted to playing with tap jump off. Tip - Tapping down with the control stick while jumping with y or x at the same time has Peach or Daisy auto-float against the ground for any aerial at your disposal. Not a bad idea to get used to button jumps and turning tap jump off completely helped me do that.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
I am currently back on the Pro Controller using R2 Jump/B button attack and Y button for special

Tilt stick (though I dont use it much) R1 for Grab and left triggers for Shield

So yeah no major diversion from defaults but having trigger to jump really helps me with aerial accuracy, short hops and floats, and of course avoiding messing up a jump with tap jump (which I still leave on)

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
Currently my control settings are:
L/R: Shield
ZL: Grab
ZR: Jump
Y: Jump
X: Shield
C-Stick: Attack
B: Specials
A: Attack

I set up my ZR for Jump so I can perform stack cancels easier and considering Peach/Daisy is very technical- having that set up is easier on my hands. Also, have the jump button set up to my index finger makes it easier for me not only to Float Cancel (FC) but allows me to use my thumb freely versus having to quickly move it from Y > C-Stick (or A).

You can use tiger claw position for your controller but I’ve found this to be comfortable for me.

As for other settings:
Rumble off (i just don’t like it honestly)
Smash attack with A+B is on (never use it though)
Tap jump off
Sensitivity: Normal! I’ve shifted between Normal and High and the only difference I feel is when trying to walk normal versus dashing. On high I found myself dashing in some cases when I barely tilted the stick to one side. Normal seems to just fit me better so it may be a matter of just experimenting and finding your comfort zone there.

Last edited:

DevilTrigger

Smash Rookie
I've been playing for more than 10 years now and I've always played default controls including tap jump.
YES!

However...

I prefer the QFR so my setup is:
L: Special
R: Grab
ZL: Sheild
ZR: Jump
Y: Shield
X: Jump
C-Stick: Tilt Attack
B: Specials
A: Attack

I just recently changed ZR to jump for the sake off testing JCFF, but eh.. The major re-map I'm concerned w/ is having set my special to L. Baiting w/ Toad is too clutch. I feel like a lot of people don't expect Toad mid float. Having special just set to B makes that option awkward.

Top Bottom