• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pat's House! (San Diego, CA) 11/14-15/09 CA, WA, AZ, NY, Canada, Mexico + MORE!

Charoo

Smash Champion
NCT PRESENTS: PAT'S HOUSE
IT'S MAYLAY BAYBEE
San Diego, CA
November 14-15, 2009

I. WHAT IS A NCT Tournament?
You should already know.
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4207
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7885017#post7885017

II. WHEN/WHERE?
November 14 & 15, 2009
Doors will open daily at 10:00 AM. Events will start at 11:00 AM.

Address:
UCSD
Sixth College Lodge
University of California, San Diego,
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92093

Direction:

Going South

* Take the 5 South
* Exit La Jolla Village Drive
* Right onto La Jolla Village Drive
* Right onto Villa La Jolla Drive
* Right onto Gilman Drive
* Left into Parking Lot 406

Going North

* Take the 5 Nouth
* Exit La Jolla Village Drive
* Left onto La Jolla Village Drive
* Right onto Villa La Jolla Drive
* Right onto Gilman Drive
* Left into Parking Lot 406

Food near venue:
Espresso Roma (coffee shop)
Jamba Juice
Panda Express
Round Table Pizza
Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill
Shogun (Japanese food)
Subway
Tacone (sandwiches, wraps, salads)
a 24-hour Burger King
Bombay Coast (Indian food)
Santorini Greek Island Food (Greek food)
Tapioca Express
Sunshine Market (convenience store)

III. The Background Story
Pat asked for his own tournament at Mango Juice. Stuff happens and Neal and I agree to it eventually. So now we're hosting it. The legendary Pat's House is going to be amazing.

THIS IS A TOURNAMENT FOR PAT AKA NOBLE AKA SERAPH. IT'S CALL PAT'S HOUSE AFTER ALL

IV. MONEY ISSUES

Entry fees:
Venu fee: $5 (must be paid by anyone entering the venue; will be charged the day of the tournament)
Singles: $15
Teams: $20 per team ($10 per person)
WHEN YOU PAY, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARTNER!

Payouts:
Doubles:

1st - 58% of pot
2nd - 28% of pot
3rd - 9% of pot
4th - 5% of pot

Singles:
1st - 56% of pot
2nd - 26% of pot
3rd - 8% of pot
4th - 5% of pot
5th - 3% of pot
6th - 2% of pot

These are subject to adjustment, possibly extending payouts to 8th place if attendance is high enough.

Spectators

Anyone who spectates will have to pay a $5 in place of the venue fee. And they should not expect the right to play friendlies anytime during the day. You may play friendlies during the morning and evening, but never when the tournament is actually going on. That's a right that you earn by entering the tournament.

Not trying to rip anyone off or anything, but the staff are putting a ton of effort towards running this event, and showing up but not entering puts a strain on our resources without contributing anything to the tournament itself (whereas a player contributes competition, atmosphere, etc.). It's kinda like crashing a party you weren't invited to.

Please encourage your spectating friends to respect me and the entrants who paid by not playing friendlies during the tournament.

V. EVENTS
Singles: one rounds of pools, followed by a bracket of undetermined size. First round will likely be 16 pools of 8 people, top 2/3/4 advancing; Exact numbers will be posted when we have a clear idea of how many people are coming.
Doubles: one round of pools into a bracket. Number of pools and number of advancing teams will be determined when an attendee count is finalized.
Top 16 8v8 crews: A standard 8 v 8 crew between the top 16 placing at Pat's House.

VI. SCHEDULE
Saturday:
10:00AM - Doors open and checkin starts. Yes, I'm getting up ~9 for you people >_<.
11:00AM - Registration closes, doubles pools start.
2:00PM - doubles pools end, singles pools start.
6:00PM - singles pools end, Bonfire at La Jolla Shores.

Sunday:
10:00AM - Doors open.
11:00AM - doubles bracket starts.
3:00PM - singles bracket starts
? - singles bracket ends, 8 v 8 crew!

VII. RULES

General (apply to all events unless otherwise noted):

* Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
*One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
*You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player. (Modified Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* Wobbling is not banned.
* There will be no ties in any tournament. Anyone refusing to play any Match (including the finals) will be disqualified and forfeit all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.
* Collusion of any kind with your competitors is considered cheating. If the Tournament Director determines that any competitor is colluding to manipulate the results or intentionally under performing, the collaborating players may be immediately disqualified. This determination is to be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Director. Anyone disqualified in this manner forfeits all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.
* Chibo's Video for the Masses Rule - By entering the tournament you agree to have any tournament matches be recorded if possible, and be uploaded without the need for consent by the players in the match. The only time a match can be requested not to be uploaded is with extraordinary occurrences such as a power outage during the match. Failure to abide by this rule can result in a DQ for a tournament match.
* Azen's Late Arrival Rule - If you want to enter after registration closes, you will have to pay $2 more for venue fee ($7 total). NO EXCEPTION!

Pools:

* Pool matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* 8 minute time limit.
* All General rules apply to pool matches, including Advanced Slob Picks, Dave's Stupid Rule, Double Blind picks, and stage banning.
* Your ranking within your pool will be determined by the number of sets you win. Individual games won will not be considered, except:
o In the case of a tie, the tied players will be ranked in the following order:
+ Number of individual games won.
+ Number of individual games lost (fewer games gives a higher rank).
+ Head-to-head records.
Please note that beating the player you're tied with in the pool is the last criteria considered. Do not complain if someone you beat advances and you do not.
* To summarize: you are playing a full, bracket-style set for each of your pool matches, and will be ranked primarily on the number of sets you win.

Brackets:

* Bracket matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* 8 minute time limit.
* Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.

Stages:

*Neutrals 1v1:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

*Neutrals 2v2:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

*Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

*Counterpicks 2v2:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Misc:

* The Mages' DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a bracket match and it goes as follows:
o 2 Minutes Late – Warning
o 4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
o 6 Minutes Late – Loss of set
This will be enforced judiciously.
* Each player has 10 minutes to report to their pool after it has been called. Each pool will have a printed order to run matches; anyone who is not present for their match when it comes up in order will forfeit that match (if it has been 10 minutes since the pool started). This will also be strictly enforced. We will do the best we can to give estimates on when pools will start, but it is 100% your responsibility to make sure you're at your pool when it starts!
* In the event an invalid rule setting is discovered: only the current game of the set will be replayed. If the setting is discovered between games, the last game will be replayed. Under no circumstances will an entire set be re-done because of a wrong rule setting. This goes for team attack, damage ratio, random stage, counterpick, and time limit settings.

VIII. TRAVEL INFORMATION
There are three airports you can use for Pat's House:

* San Diego International Airport (SAN): the closest airport to the venue, about 21 miles. It's off of Interstate 5, which is a major freeway in the Los Angeles area and a popular way for local players to get to the venue. There's a good chance someone will be able to pick you up from the airport on the way to the tournament. There's also a good number of Smashers who live in the area and might be able to offer housing.
* John Wayne Airport (SNA): about an hour away, so I wouldn't fly here unless you've already worked out a ride. Again, there's a lot of smashers who live in the area, so you might be able to find housing from someone if you fly here.
* Los Angeles International (LAX): kinda far, probably 90 minutes from the tournament. However, there is a train route that can take you to within 4 miles of the tournament.

IX. RAFFLE
The staff will be providing several small prizes to raffle off during the tournament. Everyone who attends will be given a raffle ticket for the following acts:

* Entering an event (1 for singles, 1 for doubles)
* Bringing a TV (1 ticket each)
* Bringing a GameCube (1 ticket each)
* Bringing an extension cord/power strip (1 ticket total)
* Correctly answering a random Smash-related trivia question when asked by Champ (example: name all the stages banned for singles; 1 ticket)
* Housing an out-of-region player (all non-SoCal players, at my discretion) for Friday or Sunday night (3 tickets)
* Travelling from out of region (based loosely on travel distance; up to 3 tickets)
* Buying the Raffle Ticket. $1 per ticket

You will decide which prizes to put your tickets towards:

* Starbucks gift card ($10?)
* iTunes gift card ($10?)
* Super Champ Combo t-shirt signed by staff + winners
* Hug from HugS (females only?)
* Taped 3 vs 1 match with the top 3 finishers (ex: you vs M2K + PC + Chu)
* keychains?
* More?

X. HOUSING
Unfortunately you can not sleep at the venue. So, you have to find housing yourself. There are many San Diego smashers to ask so talk to them. If you need finding housing then just aim or pm me, and I will help you myself.

XII. EQUIPMENT
PLEASE HELP WITH EQUIPMENT! We will need many TVs and GameCubes to make this tournament a success. Please post if you can supply ANYTHING to help run the tournament better! I want at least 16 set-ups!

XIII. Contact Info
AIM: Xuerarit
Phone: (562) 552 - 4903

THERE WILL BE A TWITTER PAGE AND LIVE STREAM FOR THE TOURNAMENT!

HYPE!

Charoo

Smash Champion
I would really appreciate it if someone can sticky this. We are already expecting at least 100+ players and OOS to attend

Charoo

Smash Champion
Mew2King is now going to attend this!!!

This tournament have Mango, Jman,, Zhu, M2K + more!!!

You guys can't miss it!

Charoo

Smash Champion
updated with venue pic that we might use. We already have one though, but we're trying to move on to that

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i'm interested in going to this

and if i go i should be able to bring forward with me if he wants to come but i'll have to confirm it with him first

Charoo

Smash Champion
get this thread sticky or lock this thread and transfer the thread to this place instead.

$29.00 ONE WAY FROM SAN JOSE, CA TO LONG BEACH, CA!!!

http://www.jetblueairways.com/cgi-bi...sjclgb20090727

Thursday Nov. 12, 2009
$29.00

Monday Nov. 16, 2009
$29.00

Going Out
Airfare / Adult ( details) $ 26.98 USD
Taxes / Adult ( details) $ 12.62 USD
Subtotal / $ 39.60 USD
X 1 Adult $ 39.60 USD

Coming Back
Airfare / Adult ( details) $ 26.98 USD
Taxes / Adult ( details) $ 12.62 USD
Subtotal / $ 39.60 USD
X 1 Adult $ 39.60 USD

Total Cost of Flight $ 79.20 USD

I'm working on a plan right now to possibly get a giant van or multiple cars that will take people from LA area to San Diego since I know not that many flight goes to San Diego. This is the cheapest deal I found so far though.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Hotel/Motel info?
Airport pickup info?
That might help get some guaranteed people to come from OOS
I'm sure alot of people wanna buy tickets asap.

Although, November is pretty far away :)

Charoo

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243476

Hey everyone! I need your guys help. So it seems like a lot of players from oos and Norcal are planning to fly to this tournament. So, I am making this thread so that people can post that they need or that they can provide housing/transportation. I'll then be able to help everyone accordingly.

Here's the information you need to put

Name:
Provide or Need Housing:
Provide or Need: Transportation:
how many people can you accommodate:
Date/Time of Arrival and where:
Date/Time of Departure and where:
Contact (AIM, Cell Phone recommended, etc.):

Even if you can only pick up people and not house them, post it here and I'll be able to guide you to where to drop them off. There will be people who can house them, but not be able to drive.

Housing Provided:

Havok in San Diego
Can house a lot of people at his house if needed. Is a TO and regular host tournament in SD area.

MidWest House in Long Beach
Will probably only be available on Thursday 11/12 and Sunday 11/15. People will be transport from the Midwest house to Havok's house during the tourney days.

Tranporstation provided:

Hall in San Diego
He's very nice and have agree to help me out yay! He'll be able to drive people from Havok's house to the venue and vice versa. He'll also be able to pick up people at the airport too. People who are staying at Havok's house will get first priority

Jmex in Compton
Jmex gets off work at around 7pm right next to LAX. He's a good friend of mine nad have agree to help me pick up smashers that are coming in from the LAX airport and take them to the midwest house or wherever they are planning to stay. The midwest house people get first priority of course. I don't care if your flight will arrive at 3pm or something, he will only pick people up at 7pm. Just wait for it him to arrive and everything will be ok. He'll also be dropping off smashers at the LAX airport in the morning around 8am too.

If you would like to house/give ride to people then please post here! It will really really help a lot of people and make more OOS people attend this tournament.

Hotel information:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1298129

Worker's page
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c...dsearch&availCheckCaching=n&_requestid=381508
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c...c=DCE-_-FF-_-20090304-_-EM161920&PID=1225267&
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c...mc=DCE-_-FF-_-20090226-_-AM15256&PID=1225267&

I have use this before for my road trip across USA last summer. Pretty much, you are using a worker's discount to make the hotel cheaper. It's approximately 60 bucks a day using this. I'll try to find more deal for you guys though. Just follow the the instruction and you'll be fine. Also, click on rate on the search by menu at the end so it'll rank from cheapest to highest price.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess everyone would rather go to a tournament that goes past 3am and doesn't seed second round of pools.

Charoo

Smash Champion
THIS TOURNAMENT IS GOING TO BE HUGE!!! Right now we are guarantee at least 128 people!!!

We have people coming all over North America!

Norcal is coming including DBR and SS!
Arizona is coming with Forward and AXE
East Coast players such as Jman DJ Nintendo and Alukard are confirmed!
Canada is coming such as Blunted Object
Even Mexico is attending like Eddy Mexico (Luigi player who did very well at Genesis)

This tournament will break the record in attendance that Mango Juice holds for melee only tourney since brawl came out! Yes, Mango Juice was bigger than ROM and this tournament will be even bigger than both! Guess what, I also hosted that tournament!

The melee community is socal is always growing and exciting! We welcome all OOS to attend!

Lastly, we are challenging ANYONE to fight SOCAL!

SOCAL VS THE WORLD BABY!!! Bring it

oh yeah, did I mention free bonfire?

p.s. if a mod can sticky this I'll be very happy. This is a west coast major and will msot likely be the biggest one this year

strawhats

Smash Master
Is M2K still going to this?

Mango will most likely win anyway so..eh, but ill be watching that livestream in case lucky beats mango. LOL sooo close the last time

Lucky may be able to figh with m2k/armada now.

The-Guy

Smash Cadet
**** I want to go so badly. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but please host another tourney soon. I can bring a gamecube and TV :D

Top Bottom