• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.16 Discussion - "The Witch Hunt is over"

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
So yesterday Salem was able to win Collision XIV with his Bayonetta and his showings are leading me to believe that he is the best Bayonetta at this point in time due to the mastery he has on her follow-ups. Here are two incredible vids showcasing what Bayo can still do, proving she is still viable enough to solo win a tournament:

Salem vs Tweek

Salem vs Zero

I think this puts to rest all the people claiming htat she is not viable to win a tournament lol ;)
He might be the best bayo, but I wouldn't say because of the "mastery he has on her followups". If I had to pick the king of followups, that'd probly be Pink Fresh. That said, Salem is by far the most patient bayo I've ever seen, and has both the quickest reaction time and the strongest willpower to not overextend.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
That one commentator in the game versus ZeR0 saying that Bayonetta's fastest grounded move is her "frame 7 ftilt" killed me on the inside

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
To me, the one player with the best followups and combos was 9B, he usually used Uair in neutral to start combos for example; his level of optimization was fantastic.
Too bad he dropped her as soon as the patch happened.
:196:

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
To me, the one player with the best followups and combos was 9B, he usually used Uair in neutral to start combos for example; his level of optimization was fantastic.
Too bad he dropped her as soon as the patch happened.
:196:
I can't believed that worked. Uair in the neutral? Who would fall for that? That said, he has since picked her back up, but I haven't heard of him placing anywhere recently.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Uair has decent range and frame data. Same reason to get hit with it as fair/nair, just a much scarier outcome awaits.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Uair has decent range and frame data. Same reason to get hit with it as fair/nair, just a much scarier outcome awaits.
Spacing with it is so hard, but considering it's our best aerial combo tool and kill confirms into bair, I'm willing to give it a shot.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Never thought I would come back, but Salem made me believer again.
Thanks to him I believe Bayonetta is still a Top 10 character. Everything I said is pretty much a big exaggeration, happy to main Bayonetta again!

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Never thought I would come back, but Salem made me believer again.
Thanks to him I believe Bayonetta is still a Top 10 character. Everything I said is pretty much a big exaggeration, happy to main Bayonetta again!
Took ya long enough!

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
Looking back at this, I can say Bayo is a much better Marth. Not so much playstyle or combos or anything like that, but because of the way they both recovered from nerfs. Marth, in the early part of Sm4sh, was considered one of the worst characters, simply because he didn't have the combos he used to from Brawl. Same with Bayo. After the nerf, she was thought to be low tier, because she didn't have the combos she used to. (Screw the 0-to-death though.) And then players soon learned the other combos she had, and that her original combos were still viable, just not as viable as they once were. And so she rises to Top Tier once more. (While Marth is still Top mid tier I cri.)

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Yeah, the uair and bair string were a lot better than I thought (though I still struggle to do it, anyone has tips?) and while Dive Kick was completely destroy, her combos are still fairly reliable.

And one thing 1.1.6 did that I love is the Witch Twist 1 buff. In 1.1.5 WTw 1 at 80% only combo into an ABK, but now it can combo into a lot more options, making WTw1 to Fair1 to WTw2 to Fair123 so good for horizontal kills.

I am glad Marth is so much better now too. He is one of the most unique and interesting characters in the game.

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the uair and bair string were a lot better than I thought (though I still struggle to do it, anyone has tips?) and while Dive Kick was completely destroy, her combos are still fairly reliable.

And one thing 1.1.6 did that I love is the Witch Twist 1 buff. In 1.1.5 WTw 1 at 80% only combo into an ABK, but now it can combo into a lot more options, making WTw1 to Fair1 to WTw2 to Fair123 so good for horizontal kills.

I am glad Marth is so much better now too. He is one of the most unique and interesting characters in the game.
If you're talking about bair uair from dtilt the easiest way is to start holding in for the pivot as soon as the dtilt animation ends, that's the best visual cue I can muster. From anything else it's just a matter of getting the timing down, knowing when the lag is done and holding away at the correct time. Becomes second nature once you're used to it.

Top Bottom