• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

patch 1.1.6 petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
Hello everyone, im a pikachu main who was very fond of falco on brawl, mainly due to the SHDL (short hop double laser)

SHDL was falco's identity as a unique character in the past game, with this taken away (although some attacks got buffed and others nerfed) falco became a dull character with almost no personality... unlike fox, with a very similar kit having his super fast combo character that can snipe you personality unaffected.... at least falco can uhmmm, jump high?

SHDL was amazing in neutral, required certain amount of skill to pull off, had many combos, worked as a gap closer (horizontal movement falco lacks right now, specially since side b was nerfed too in both speed and insta side b after a jump was virtually lagless) and well, falco being a very vertical character cant exploit his strengths because he has no horizontal momentum to get to the opponent

I certainly dont know falco in this game, i know his recovery is better, he has less lag in a lot of moves, he has a very improved recovery, but he lost his old awesome DAIR, his SHDL, his chaingrab (i personally hate chaingrabs) and his lagless side b... plus, the fact that no1 plays him or places high in tournaments with him doesnt help either

So. The reason this thread was created is to make some type of awareness that nintendo announced patch 1.1.6 earlier today to be released within this week and i would love if the falco community could do some sort of effort along with me to try to make everyone know that falco desperately needs a buff and that SHDL could be a very viable solution to this. It will make falco better, i dont think he will be a top contender again like in last game but he will actually be viable again and a character who had a personality of a very flashy vertical combo game, that makes opponent's approaches harder and approaches with caution to send you up and back down all time would be great to have in smash 4, rather than a character with no special qualities.

Thanks for reading

D

Deleted member 269706

The fact that the patch was announced means that it's probably complete, not sure what you're expecting to happen at this point.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Considering they nerfed Sheik's needles I promise you SHDL is never coming back.

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I won't be surprised if the bird doesn't receive anything, but I hope he does.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This topic would better be left in the general discussion: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/, but I do have some things to say.
Hello everyone, im a pikachu main who was very fond of falco on brawl, mainly due to the SHDL (short hop double laser)

SHDL was falco's identity as a unique character in the past game, with this taken away (although some attacks got buffed and others nerfed) falco became a dull character with almost no personality... unlike fox, with a very similar kit having his super fast combo character that can snipe you personality unaffected.... at least falco can uhmmm, jump high?

SHDL was amazing in neutral, required certain amount of skill to pull off, had many combos, worked as a gap closer (horizontal movement falco lacks right now, specially since side b was nerfed too in both speed and insta side b after a jump was virtually lagless) and well, falco being a very vertical character cant exploit his strengths because he has no horizontal momentum to get to the opponent
First off, auto-canceling was removed for all projectiles in Smash 4 and will likely not return.

Auto-canceling allowed Falco to significantly reduce his recovery with Blaster which allowed him to approach with Blaster by moving forward with an active hitbox, laser, and zone by controlling space with a stream of lasers. Projectiles can do both, but not to a degree Falco does in Melee or Brawl which is at a level where it becomes overbearing for players fighting Falco. Most characters who have a projectile that can do both have traits like high startup, but low recovery such as KoF Leona's Earring Bomb or in Smash, (Toon) Link's Boomerang, a slow-moving projectile like Street Fighter Guile and Nash's Sonic Boom or in Smash, or short-range like Street Fighter Laura's Thunder Clap or in Smash, Luigi's Fireball. Falco's Blaster sort of had the high startup, but low recovery in Melee, but that was nullified when he could auto-cancel it and because aerial Blaster was 10 frames faster on startup. Falco's zoning game and neutral game was among the best if not the best in both Melee and Brawl because his Blaster was so effective and so low committal. Because of how Smash works and because no projectile has ever reached his level except for Fox's Blaster in Smash 64 which was what was given to Falco in Melee, characters and players struggle to find answer outside of perfect shielding his lasers which doesn't help as much when Falco can hop, laser, and land with little recovery allowing him to quickly pick an option or react to his opponent. Asking for SHDL in Smash 4 would help out Falco, but to the anger of players fighting him.

Auto-canceling also did mask the fact Falco's Blaster had high recovery in Brawl as a result of Brawl lowering Melee Blaster's startup, but leaving its total frames alone. Removing that and not doing anything -- they actually increased the recovery by a couple frames for ground Blaster, but 8 frames for aerial Blaster -- to compensate for that meant Falco was left with an extremely committal projectile. Had it gone Melee's route of high startup, but average recovery, Falco's zoning wouldn't have been this bad.

There is another problem regarding Falco's ability to continually fire which actually does affect players, especially lower-level players, but that's another story. Anyway, in my opinion, it would be better to lower Blaster's recovery to at least average and not stupidly high. Falco wouldn't be able to approach with Blaster which shouldn't be a thing, but he should be able to zone and control his space much better rather than being at the mercy of his opponents as he can't really challenge from afar without major risk.

I certainly dont know falco in this game, i know his recovery is better, he has less lag in a lot of moves, he has a very improved recovery, but he lost his old awesome DAIR, his SHDL, his chaingrab (i personally hate chaingrabs) and his lagless side b... plus, the fact that no1 plays him or places high in tournaments with him doesnt help either
Falco's recovery is actually worse in Smash 4 compared to Brawl and even Melee. Falco Phantasm travels slower than in Brawl and compared to Fox's Fox Illusion in Smash 4 and having a hitbox for the first half of its travel means Falco's is more vulnerable since he can hope for someone to clank at the end of it and he knows he can't just hit them like Fox Illusion can. Also, Falco's pose: http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thu...ii_U.jpg/250px-Falco_Falco_Phantasm_Wii_U.jpg, during Falco Phantasm has his wing raised up; this raises his hurtbox up making it easier for characters to clip him even as he lined up to the ledge. He can act out of Falco Phantasm in the air, so he won't enter helpless mode and can combine Falco Phantasm with Fire Bird, but that doesn't change the fact it's less safer compared to in previous games. For Fire Bird, it is a recovery move that launches at frame 44 in a game where recovering is easier and where recovery moves travel its height, but at much lower startups e.g. Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive, Ganondorf's Dark Dive, Mario's Super Jump Punch, and Marth's Dolphin Slash. With edge-hogging out, the average character can quickly Up Special and grab the ledge. Falco can't. Fire Fox which launches at the same frame, travels much further, travels faster as said by an in-game tip: "Fire Bird – Inertia makes this move slower than Fox's Fire Fox. If you use it while moving horizontally in midair, you'll slide along in midair for a moment", can kill, and unlike Fire Bird, its charging hits have hit angles that push opponents into it rather than out. Also, Fire Fox doesn't lock Fox's aerial momentum unlike Fire Bird. The fact Fire Bird hasn't changed from Brawl means Fire Bird still has connection issues, can't kill at all, and travels less than Fire Wolf which launches at frame 23, almost half the time it takes for Fire Bird to launch. For all intents and purposes, Fire Bird, since Brawl and in Smash 4, is a worse version of Fire Fox.

Source for the in-game tip: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_tips_(SSB4-Wii_U)#Falco.

Please refer to this thread for tournament results: http://smashboards.com/threads/falcos-tournament-representation.374263/, and this thread for a list of notable players who play Falco: http://smashboards.com/threads/great-fox-hangar-ace-pilot-list.429118/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom