• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Partners in Crime: Good Secondaries for Wario Players

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Well, I did some looking around at the various resources available here, and the ones that aren't in the range of being a severe necro-post weren't really geared to the topic I was hoping to dicuss when I joined. So, without further intermission:

Who are solid character choices for a secondary for Wario players? Which characters allow for the best coverage of Wario's weaknesses? Bonus points if they play similarly enough to Wario that it wouldn't be much of a stretch for a dedicated Wario to learn.

Personally I recently started learning Wario since I found him quite a bit of fun in addition to being a solid character. I'm also practicing continuously to master the IC as well, but that is for a different thread. I've been considering TL, ZSS, or Marth myself. The community's input would be appreciated.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario's main troubles come from Marth and Dedede, so the character in mind should be able to deal with them adequately.

Toon Link is pretty similar in playstyle and covers those matchups adequately. If you're looking for someone dedicated just to Wario's rough matchups, you could just work on a Marth or Dedede, yourself.

DRN, a local Zero Suit Samus player, says he personally likes the duo of ZSS and Wario. She definitely plays a lot like Wario, too.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Another character that came to mind was Pitt, but I think I'm going to follow up on learning TL for my rough matchups. Thanks for the input.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Rather than relying on a secondary, you could explore Wario's item game! TIRES *drool* ohhh yessssssz! I've found that using the bike and tires effectively and efficiently can really help in some matchups! Marth, MK, D3 and Falco are great examples.

Personally, I have always used surprise characters for secondaries. My Ike has been really good in tournaments against Yoshi and G&W players. Also Bowser is a good secret character to have, he is really underrated and can be deadly if the opponent doesn't know the matchup.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
There are actually quite a few strong choices for the role that come to mind. I want to say I've narrowed down to wanting TL, but that isn't entirely true.

Maybe as I progress with Wario (new to the character, and have very limited time windows to practice) I'll either change up my purpose for, or lose the need for a secondary character for his MUs. But as of now I don't handle the Marth MU well, an I still need some practice with Wario.

Since I'm an ex IC main, I might just keep them in my pocket now until I find someone better for those MU.

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
I pick Peach if i don't pick Wario. Never really cared for having a secondary to play for a bad MU. I thought i did a pretty good D3 when i tried him out not too long ago and he has decent MU with Marth so maybe you would like him.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
Falco is a good secondary especially for DDD or for warios that have problems with marths. In my case... i should learn Falco more, so i can get at better chances against our ZSS' (TaY and quiKsilver)at least than with Wario.

xzx

Smash Lord
I would say ICs are a really good secondery to Wario, since they cover up all bad stages Wario has + the DDD Mu and the Marth Mu. Falco would be good too (but I'm saying that because Glutonny uses him! xD).

I have ICs as my secondery, but I never use them in tournament play since I want to win with Wario only. Just having a solid main makes one better with the main. I don't know why people are so hectic about having a secondery - just cope with the MU with your main, it's better!

So for me, it's Wario time all day! =D

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Just having a solid main makes one better with the main. I don't know why people are so hectic about having a secondery - just cope with the MU with your main, it's better!

So for me, it's Wario time all day! =D
Agreed! :D Wario doesn't have any really TERRIBLE matchups, so many times you will become a stronger player by adapting your Wario and improving your skills to compensate. He has a few bad matchups, but smart play can do wonders!

Bike and tires for life!

Labernash

Smash Lord
I just like playing a lot of characters. I REALLY like Kirby, but he doesn't cover any of Wario's bad MUs. Pit is fun too. Olimar and Luigi too. And Falcon and Puff.

Play what's fun. I tend to play characters because I like their games or the character themselves. Which is why I main Wario! I pick Wario in everything he is in. He just happene to be good in Brawl, so I kept him.

I also play D3 and Marth and Falco, but I'm not very good with them.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
You know, it's so stupid of me, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, I really don't have any MU to worry about with IC in my pocket, now do I? Well, Peach, but I think I can cope with that. I guess it's more I just never "enjoyed" the fight against Marth as either of my characters.

xzx

Smash Lord
Agreed! :D Wario doesn't have any really TERRIBLE matchups, so many times you will become a stronger player by adapting your Wario and improving your skills to compensate. He has a few bad matchups, but smart play can do wonders!

Bike and tires for life!
Yep! =) Also, Wario is so fun that I don't want to use anybody else in a tourney. That's why I main him.

One-Up

Smash Apprentice
i dont need to secondary any other charcter cuz i have a waft...

EDIT: Secondaries are 4 scrubs

Labernash

Smash Lord
Waft is a GREAT secondary! Waft > Meta Knight. The BBR should ban Waft. The most broken character.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
ice climbers seem to be a good secondary, thanks for this hint.
i will try him out ^---^

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I think a good Wario can overcome his worst matchups, is better to practice the matchups with the character you know better (ie wario) than learning another character for a couple of matchups.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
I have Falco and Wolf on standby. Falco handles Olimar (I know Wario isn't that bad against him, but I hate fighting Wally McCamperson without having a positive MU), DeDeDe, and Wario, and Wolf handles IC's and Marth. The reason why I picked these two is because 1. they were actually my previous mains before I discovered the glorious Wario and 2. they can both deal with his most annoying MUs very well.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
OMG!!! ic?? Falco?? ... ill admit toon link isnt bad but why arent you all talking about DK!!

I mean really he has the reach to cover for warios arials and he can PICK UP THE BIKE

HOLY LOL this isnt a teams thread?
Mah bad :O

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Because this isn't a teams thread. This is a thread about who's the best secondary for Wario. The only match ups Donkey covers for Wario is Marth and Peach, both of those match ups are arguably -1 for Donkey though. He loses solidly to our arguably -1 MUs (olimar and ICs) and gets wrecked in our other -2 MUs.

If you mean Diddy then your point about the bike makes no sense :s

Top Bottom