• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parrying Handcam

deeseejay

Smash Cadet
I'm having a LOT of issues with parrying and I'm really trying to get to grips with inputs/speed/timing required to get it down.

I've had a look around, but does anyone have any handcam footage of what the inputs look like? Or would they be kind enough to record some? :bee:

Any other general advice on parrying on how to incorporate into your game/practice it would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Sashimi

Smash Ace
It's just L or R and then jump. You have to jump within 5 frames of pressing the shield button, and you have to press L or R fully (the button should click) in one frame. If you take longer than one frame, you will not get the proper parry. You should trigger trick if you don't, since this makes it easy to get the 1-frame full press of L/R. Just hold down your parrying button fully when plugging in your controller.

As far as using it in real matches, consider some of the following:
- first, make sure you can jump out of parry. Turn off the music and go into training mode. Press shield, then jump. If you hear the shield sound and you got the jump, you're doing it right.
- get the tech skill down 100% first. Go into training mode and parry red shells, or practise against level 9 Ganon, or have someone shoot Falco lasers at you. First practise just jumping out of the parry, then practise follow-ups. The all-purpose one is DJC Nair, so start with that and learn others later.
- think of the parry and its follow-up as one technique. You should be prepared to attack before you start the parry, because you don't have time to confirm that you got the parry.
- once you have the tech skill, find a player who also has tech skill but does the same things over and over. The easiest character to practise against is Falco because noob Falcos will spam lasers and early Dairs. Practise against someone who does this until you are comfortable with parrying obvious attacks. Be careful not to get into the habit of always crouch parrying, because good players will wreck you for that.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Saltsizzle Saltsizzle You have to use the other trigger or Z to light shield. Don't bother parrying before every jump. It will slow you down without much reward.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
So on aMSa's parrying video, link: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQe3Xkb4u0 ), in the description he mentions modifying your controller. Is that legal and do a lot of people do it? (I don't have too much trouble parrying but I'm not sure if this makes that big of a difference). In all of aMSa's matches however, i see him light shield so, that could either be him using a different button to parry and a different one to light shield or, he doesn't have a modified controller in the first place. I wanna hear your opinions on it

Also I read your post above PerhapsMan and I tried parrying red shells and I couldn't do it, while normally I have no issue parrying attacks? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
aMSa is talking about trigger tricking, and it's legal in tournament.

If you crouch parry all the time you're probably relying on the larger frame window that crouch parrying has against lingering hitboxes. This doesn't help against red shells. I'm guessing you're just not used to the regular frame window.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
Oh :facepalm: well back to practicing so what about the controller modifying thingy?

Also should i stop practicing with crouch parrying and only use it in games? Or practice both?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Trigger tricking is explained in almost every thread on the Yoshi boards, including this one. You should use it even if you don't think you need to, because it makes a huge difference.

Crouch parrying is useful for what it does, but you don't need to do it, and relying on it will severely limit how you can use parrying. When you're crouching, you're not moving, and you can't crouch parry out of any kind of endlag. I recommend you don't practise it, but against high aerials that have lingering hitboxes (ex. an early falco Dair) you should still use it.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to practice parrying but all I have at school with me is the dolphin emulator, which doesn't register the trigger trick when you plug in a controller while holding a trigger. Is there a workaround? Maybe with the 20XX mod?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
On dolphin you can just configure your controller to ignore the analog input on one of your triggers. Leave the entry for that input blank and it's just like trigger tricking. Practising it on an emulator won't be as effective though, since you'll have to adjust your timing when you go back to a real gamecube.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why I never thought of that! I know the timing will be a little different, but I figure it's best to at least practice it somehow to try and figure out the application.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
Yea i ordered a triwing screw driver to get open my controller i tried a flat head but i couldn't get it, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. Worst case scenario is friday until then i'll just mess around with fox and falco and play them. Parrying is a lot harder standing (most likely because you have to get heavy shield faster) trigger tricking will fix that right?

Last edited:

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
Yea i ordered a triwing screw driver to get open my controller i tried a flat head but i couldn't get it, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. Worst case scenario is friday until then i'll just mess around with fox and falco and play them. Parrying is a lot harder standing (most likely because you have to get heavy shield faster) trigger tricking will fix that right?
You can go into game and try trigger tricking right now. Like PerhapsMan said, just hold in the R or L buttons while plugging in your controller while the game is running. What are you using a screwdriver for?

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
for when i play on a real console where I can't trick the controls like on the computer.

on my goodness i just trigger tricked my controller in 20XX (not in really life so it won't work on Wiis of GCs yet) I can parry red shells standing so much easier now

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
for when i play on a real console where I can't trick the controls like on the computer.

on my goodness i just trigger tricked my controller in 20XX (not in really life so it won't work on Wiis of GCs yet) I can parry red shells standing so much easier now
The trigger tricking actually works on the GC & Wii (20xx) i use a training regiment almost every day.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
With trigger tricking your controller in real life is it just removing the spring?
Na. Trigger tricking is literally tricking the pad buttons. Holding X+Y+start on the character select screen then holding one of the shield buttons disable the light shield making it easier to regular shield thus making it a bit easier for Yoshi to parry.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
XD I really hope that's sarcasm cuz i removed the spring already and it works fine. (I watched a video that confused me about somethings. (Basically i had the volume on low not to disturb my family and I couldn't hear what the guy was saying, but he was making the L/R buttons smoother not trigger tricking them. and I was thinking that tricker tricking was just removing the spring and what he was doing didn't seem right. Then I played it at higher volume and realized it was for a whole other thing.)

Are your Trigger tricked buttons also shorter and don't rise up like it use to cuz mine is like that.
Sorry about all the questions I'm really nervous because this is the first time I've modified a controller

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
XD I really hope that's sarcasm cuz i removed the spring already and it works fine. (I watched a video that confused me about somethings. (Basically i had the volume on low not to disturb my family and I couldn't hear what the guy was saying, but he was making the L/R buttons smoother not trigger tricking them. and I was thinking that tricker tricking was just removing the spring and what he was doing didn't seem right. Then I played it at higher volume and realized it was for a whole other thing.)

Are your Trigger tricked buttons also shorter and don't rise up like it use to cuz mine is like that.
Sorry about all the questions I'm really nervous because this is the first time I've modified a controller
O it's fine. The thing with me is i never went into my gamecube controller to modify anything. it's really not sarcasm either. I never took apart my gamecube controller to trigger trick my controller.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
I can't seem to get the glitch to work can you explain it in more detail?

Because funny story but i had to put the spring back in cuz the shield button got stuck

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I can't seem to get the glitch to work can you explain it in more detail?

Because funny story but i had to put the spring back in cuz the shield button got stuck
Sure. You can trigger trick your controller in two ways.

1. When plugging in your controller hold the L or R shoulder pad button and your light shield will become disabled for the button you held on to. for example if you hold the R button when you plug your controller in you won't be able to Light shield with it but it'll make Parrying a lot easier with the R shoulder pad.
2. While your controller is plugged in Hold X+Y+Start then the L or R shoulder pad button and whichever one you pressed the Light shield will be disabled (be sure you check on a actual level to make sure you cannot Light shield with the button that you've selected)

Top Bottom