• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parry Glitch

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Post Videos/Gfycats here so we can complain to PMDT for not fixing it.

p.s. this example in particular is old, but im mega salty about something else that happened right now

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
"Yoshi has the best shield in the game" - Non Yoshi mains.

This gamebreaking glitch is not yet fully understood but the general problem has been identified as a brawl quirk with invincibility. In Melee, if you are hit by a hitbox when you are invincible, you "deactivate" the hitbox, and cannot be hit by it again. However, in Brawl (and by extension Project M) if you are hit by a hitbox while invincible and lose invincibility while that hitbox is still active, you will get hit.

Yoshi has a much different shield than the rest of the cast. Unlike the regular bubble shield, Yoshi has an egg that encases his entire body (which also means he cannot be shield poked) however, Yoshi also has a 6 second shielding animation during which he is invincible. This shielding animation is the secret to parrying in Melee... and the secret to parry glitch in PM. For some reason, when Yoshi is hit during his shielding animation by certain moves, he loses his invincibility and either goes into shield, or sometimes just gets hit by the move, as seen by the Gfycat in the OP. This glitch also affects powershielding normal attacks and projectiles.

This behavior is NOT intentional and has existed since Yoshi's release in 3.0. PMDT has yet to fix this glitch, though I believe it is because they are too focused on fixing the invincibility issue to reinstate parrying when they can attack this particular problem directly. Personally, I think the 6 frame shielding animation should be removed entirely (which would also remove grab parrying) and if that is too much of a buff, I would be satisfied with downgrading Yoshi's shield to a regular bubble shield. As it stands now this glitch has caused me too much frustration and decided too many games.

Note: I am not attempting to "parry" in the gfycat above. I'm simply shielding and holding shield. Where other characters may have powershielded the Lucario nair, Yoshi died for it.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I think at this point, I'd want him to have just the normal shield properties like everyone else. Because of the glitch, Yoshi can't do anything during those first 6 frames. So even if we were to powershield, you can't do anything until you past the 6 frames he's going into shield.

theOVEN

Smash Cadet
I think I got a couple parry glitches in a weekly recently, I'll look into it

EDIT: it's 100% still glitched though for sure

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Honestly, I'd be really sad if they made Yoshi's shield a normal bubble. It would make many things easier and less stupidly dangerous, but it's really nice to parry grabs. Plus, not being able to be shieldpoked (with some weird exceptions) is awesome.
I hope they just figure out a way to make it work properly.

Top Bottom