• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Paper Mario series general discussion!: Celebrating 10 years of TTYD memories!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I loved Paper Mario as a kid. I enjoyed the first two games A LOT, but didn't enjoy SPM unfortunately. I'm not sure why, I think it was just too different.

The first two had an absolutely stunning soundtrack, and I enjoyed the dialogue in those two. Paper Mario 64 in my opinion had some of the best allies in the series, I enjoyed running around and battling with some of the most iconic Mario enemies such as Lakilester / Spike the Lakitu, Kooper the Koopa and Bow the Boo. Although TTYD had a few of these instances as well such as Yoshi, Bobbery, Koops and Goombella, TTYD also had some original entries such as Flurrie and Vivian.

The combat in these games was really quite unique in that it was straightforward for the average player to get through, yet very rewarding if you decided to do your research and battle differently. An example of this is in my most recent play-through of Paper Mario TTYD, where I distributed all of my early stats into BP and a bit of PP and HP to balance things (Badge Points and Power Points) and used a strange hyperactive Badge dependent build. Although I had below average HP near the end of the game, I rarely got hit, pulled massive combos and had a ton of utility and PP while being able to recover respectable amounts of HP / PP after each turn thanks to Badges. There is also a build called Danger Mario that goes to the extreme of leaving Mario with about 5 HP after around Chapter 5 while he gets around 100 attack with Badges in Peril status.

I liked the story in both games a lot, and I really hope that if there's a Paper Mario Wii U that it'll be similar to the first two games, although I'm quite bias there, and I'm sure that SPM is a great game in its own right.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
"Find the thread"

How I didn't see this thread?
"Enter in the thread"

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I've been so busy for [something comming soon] that this reply is really late...sorry :)

Tough, you may ear the details in a few days...worth the wait.

I loved Paper Mario as a kid. I enjoyed the first two games A LOT, but didn't enjoy SPM unfortunately. I'm not sure why, I think it was just too different.

The first two had an absolutely stunning soundtrack, and I enjoyed the dialogue in those two. Paper Mario 64 in my opinion had some of the best allies in the series, I enjoyed running around and battling with some of the most iconic Mario enemies such as Lakilester / Spike the Lakitu, Kooper the Koopa and Bow the Boo. Although TTYD had a few of these instances as well such as Yoshi, Bobbery, Koops and Goombella, TTYD also had some original entries such as Flurrie and Vivian.

The combat in these games was really quite unique in that it was straightforward for the average player to get through, yet very rewarding if you decided to do your research and battle differently. An example of this is in my most recent play-through of Paper Mario TTYD, where I distributed all of my early stats into BP and a bit of PP and HP to balance things (Badge Points and Power Points) and used a strange hyperactive Badge dependent build. Although I had below average HP near the end of the game, I rarely got hit, pulled massive combos and had a ton of utility and PP while being able to recover respectable amounts of HP / PP after each turn thanks to Badges. There is also a build called Danger Mario that goes to the extreme of leaving Mario with about 5 HP after around Chapter 5 while he gets around 100 attack with Badges in Peril status.

I liked the story in both games a lot, and I really hope that if there's a Paper Mario Wii U that it'll be similar to the first two games, although I'm quite bias there, and I'm sure that SPM is a great game in its own right.
Spm is a lot influenced from TTYD and even tough I don't think it reaches the qaulity of it, it's really good and in fact, I honestly think you should play it if you haven't already (especially because you just played TTYD).

But pretty much this. I do think they will go back to first 2 games because of what happened with sticker star and the question on the social media....oh, and also, that leak.

You know the James Anderson leak?

He's really (there's even credits proof) an IS employee that claimed back in September 2013 that he was working on an unnanounced WiiU game but the thing is, he worked on sticker star.

That, I repeated it a lot of times, but I checked the linkedin profile and he changed it!

It now says the experience for each game...he worked a lot more on sticker star.

That really might be good for us :)

But I'm obsessed of TTYD and for the fact, the series. There's a lot of reasons but the biggest one is the everything that surrounds the flow of the game. It's really rare that I played a game that on most of his aspect, tough it was awesome. Really, there's around 150 tracks (even the unused one are good) and most of them are just good to hear.

The battle became great because of its crazy sunshine effect. You really want to battle just for the satisfactions it provides removing the annoyance of farming :)

What I love the most about the text is the humour...there's so much good ones. to alter the text that much and to be that detailed... It must have required a lot of work. And the visuals...so bright and gorgeous. I'm serious you CANNOT load any map in this game and be mad after. It's just so joyfull to look at it.

This even make the battles better!

The characters is mostly with the text especially gombella. She might have the most texts in the entire game, but the hcarcaters gain a lot with their text. For example, the piantas...gosh it's so silly they sound like a mafia or something.

And the font and bubbles with enhanced effects just help this even more.

It's like, those game were made from the start to finsh to just enjoy them. There's even a test message found that it says that the level designer were gamers and get restless when not playing games :lol:

This level of details is rare and we should acknowledge that it happened :)

"Find the thread"

How I didn't see this thread?
"Enter in the thread"
Wow, you're late. I created this after the archiving of the support thread (you can even see it in the second post).

I used to have the link in my sig, but because of that [somethin], it will change...

Because actually, there could be a similar thread with what I'm going to do soon.

I ghate to tease like this, but it's because it's almost ready. I think you'll honestly love it :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
i prefer the original paper mario over TTYD, can someone who sees it the other way explain their reasoning to me plz
Ok, so, it;s really depending on your tastes and the nostalgia factor.

But the weird thing is both pm64 and TTYD are loveable for very similar reasons. That's normal because TTYD is a true sequel of pm64. It simply takes pm64 and enhance it, but TTYD was made in such a way that pretty much most of the concept of pm64 got pushed to their max. It doesn't mean that pm64 is outdated because pm64 also had different worlds than TTYD, different characters, well, most of the context of the game is different than TTYD, but the concepts were enhanced.

I'm actually replaying pm64 and I can tell you that yes I do love this game, but I still love more TTYD because the original has been limited for 2 main reasons:
  • It's kinda expected because it was the first in the series. However, not much was bad in that game. It's really good for a series starts.
  • The n64 had limitations. That is really what I think set appart pm64 and TTYD because it implied a lot. The main problem I had with pm64 is the animations: they seemed like cardboard than paper because there's almost no folding animations. For a theme as foldable as paper in a theme, it just didn't felt that "paper" on me, but at the same time, I understand the limitations of the console.
With the second reasons, that also implied that the thing that made me go crazy on TTYD design being the colors are VERY bright. Pm64 well, even on crt, it felt like it was bright...but could have been better. Again, I'm sure n64 limitations, but it is something that influenced my opinion on the games very importantly. Then you go into several stuff like the font and the text bubble seeming a lot more appealing than the pm64 one (again, I'm sure it was because of the limitations that you can see pixels in the upscaled effect), not having that much satisfaction in battles with the stylish TTYD did that made me happy to go on every battle even pointless one, the music being A LOT more sfx heavy on TTYD thus, made the immersion a bit better for me.

These are really not something I consider "new" compared to pm64, but rather enhancement. These enhancement turned out to be EXACTLY matching my tastes and making the game appealing and just be happier to play it. But the VERY core of TTYD is the same as pm64 and thus, both games are enjoyable the same way so, opinions varies but as a general majority, a very small minority preffered spm (which btw, there's good reasons to) and the majority loved ONE OF the first 2 games. In that group, it's mostly TTYD, but pm64 is very close. I even sometime both games to be merged as they really have the same core aspect. spm kept some aspect and altered others, but it turned out very good with the plot.

This is why there's really not that much explanation other than "your tastes decided it". It's really something that is not objective even if TTYD is an enhancement of pm64, pm64 had different chapters and characters. If you like darker colors more, than it might be because of that. However, be aware that because this is the oldest entries, it also brings a lot of nostalgia.
So, it's pretty much because TTYD was really mind blowing for me in how much they pushed pm64. Some even acknowledge this and still prefer the original because of already explained reasons.

Did I answered your question?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
It's not much, friends, but check this out. . . Perhaps we can be looking forward to something in the near-future? I for one believe that Paper Mario in HD would look magnificent, not to mention there could be some kind of cool implementation with the Gamepad. As always, I'll leave with the obligatory statement of everyone; As long as it plays similar to PM64 and PM:TTYD (or Super Mario RPG for that matter), and not so much SPM or PM:SS, I'll be excited!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
:link:
It's not much, friends, but check this out. . . Perhaps we can be looking forward to something in the near-future? I for one believe that Paper Mario in HD would look magnificent, not to mention there could be some kind of cool implementation with the Gamepad. As always, I'll leave with the obligatory statement of everyone; As long as it plays similar to PM64 and PM:TTYD (or Super Mario RPG for that matter), and not so much SPM or PM:SS, I'll be excited!
I already know and I already did research: I really don't know.

Because the pic looks suspicious and when I did research, it sounded to not hold that much credibility. Also, this was done the day after a fake tweet was done so, anything could happen.

Anyway, even if the info was confirmed, there's no reasons to hype yet. Just to remind you, I've lost so much trust since sticker star that the day I'll believe that they really care about the series future is the day I'll see that they would try to go back to root in any way. Not until I saw it.

Like, I'm still worried about sticker star.

But personally, I think it's a fake. Though, thanks to the guy who did it if it was the case because the internet starts to talk more about the series and sticker star worriness because of it.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It's been a while but I finally bought the original Paper Mario off of Wii Shop. I'll try to give it a go sometime this weekend.

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
I was browsing through the Mario forums when I saw this thread.

So what's everyone's opinion about Paper Jam? Do you think it'll give Nintendo the oppurtunity to give Paper Mario the comeback he deserves and get the chance to get the dream Paper Mario game we all want?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I was browsing through the Mario forums when I saw this thread.

So what's everyone's opinion about Paper Jam? Do you think it'll give Nintendo the oppurtunity to give Paper Mario the comeback he deserves and get the chance to get the dream Paper Mario game we all want?
This thread is so old I didn't even took the time to update it (the demand is just that low...).

Basically, I think it really helps the series. I saw pretty much every footage possible and I noticed a lot of details that basically reveals the whole point. It;s still m&l, but everything paper mario related is "paperised".

For example, m&l animations are mostly gradual glow while paper mario one are very rough and defined shape with very little gradients. It respect the canvas of m&l, it just deviate the artstyle to be more paper mario. The humor has both styles, we see paper mario design in the m&l context (even coins....).

Basically, it gives A LOT of emphasis on paper mario as both a series and a completely different world. He even has his own letter logo being an orange P, there;s not even an M there.....that;s quite the distinction.

Not to mention that they didn't limited themselves as SS only, we can see TTYD stuff such as the paper powers.

In fact, there;s so much potential from plot devices to moves, there;s a lot to be known on the integration of paper mario. Even the camera angle is paper mario and not m&l on the overworld.

To me, it;s a transition to getting back what we kinda missed from SS (and to a VERY large extent, spm). This put a lot of distinction of paper mario showing that nintendo really cares about this series (and they are probably aware of SS, I wouldn't be surprised if they publicly say this).

Btw, I really suggest you use the paper mario support thread (link in my sig) for this because tbh, this thread is really dying, and the support thread is pretty much the most active one about paper mario.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Man, I am bad at keeping gaming promises. I still haven't got around playing Paper Mario 64. I think I will at least boot it up on Friday after I take care of some business. The gameplay footage of the game in action is really cool.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Man, I am bad at keeping gaming promises. I still haven't got around playing Paper Mario 64. I think I will at least boot it up on Friday after I take care of some business. The gameplay footage of the game in action is really cool.
Coincidentally, I am replaying pm64 now :)

(btw, this thread is so dead omg :) ).

I jsut read above (yeah I even forgot these posts) that you bought the wii version.

There's not much wrong with it, but you do have to have some consideration becasue this version,......euh, it;s not bad, but the Wiiu and n64 are much better (they are almost equal, but better to the Wii).

First is feature, the Wii version has no rumble support while the wiiu one has it and the n64.....I still need to buy a rumble pack, maybe in the future.

but the biggest downside and the ONLY one that will make a difference is lags. idk why, maybe the Wii emu is poor, but the wii version features a lot of lags on stuff like pausing the screen. On Wiiu and n64, it's instant, but it takes some seconds on the wii version to open the pause.

......but that;s it :) it;s not going to annoy you or anything, but it's jsut to keep in mind that normally, the pausing isn;t supposed to be this slow.

As for the game, if you can, try to play on CRT, it jsut naturally looks brighter, but please and seriously please, at LEAST don;t use components or hdmi for this game. use either composite or svideo, it just is what the game was designed for anyway and any hd cable will make the game look odd.

But LCD isn;t this bad on composite, it's just......I do notice input lags and it can be annoying for some commands that are......a little tight, but tbh, you could get used to your lag and it won';t be much of a problem.

But yeah, once you enjoy the game, well just be aware,. it is SUPPOSED to be played slowly. The game is designed to be slow paced, jsut savour it :) In fact, you might realise that the prologue and to a lesser extent the ch1 is very slow, but just appreciate it because after ch1 everything feels less slow and it jsut feels consistent after. Ch2 is really when imo the game starts to show his true color.

if you are going for 100% however, be ready for a very fun and long experience, because this game takes a while to 100%, but in a good way, there's lots of stuff to do so don;t feel bad for talking to npc a lot, I actually suggest you do this because some are very useful.

So yeah, enjoy the game, you might realise why the paper mario series has a lot of praise because if you love this game (which tbh there';s a high chance that you would), jsut think that TTYD is exactly that but a lot more polished so it's not even everything :) But waht pm64 has that no other game in the series has is how slow paced it is and I think that's a good thing, I enjoyed earthbound because of that too.

FYI,. I am about to start ch6, but me, I am going for 100% so I spend a lot of time between ch :)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
As for the game, if you can, try to play on CRT, it jsut naturally looks brighter, but please and seriously please, at LEAST don;t use components or hdmi for this game. use either composite or svideo, it just is what the game was designed for anyway and any hd cable will make the game look odd.
I have a CRT in my room where my Wii is hooked up to so I should be fine there. I have no plans to change it.

But yeah, once you enjoy the game, well just be aware,. it is SUPPOSED to be played slowly. The game is designed to be slow paced, jsut savour it :) In fact, you might realise that the prologue and to a lesser extent the ch1 is very slow, but just appreciate it because after ch1 everything feels less slow and it jsut feels consistent after. Ch2 is really when imo the game starts to show his true color.
I generally play my RPGs very slowly in order to soak in the interactions and the story so this is not a problem for me.

Perikong M.TurtleBits

Smash Rookie
NNID
PeriInTheFamily
Paper Mario is one of my favorite series of all time, the first three games mean a lot to me and I can't pick a favorite between them. However Sticker Star was not a good Paper Mario game to me. All the original characters were gone and were replaced by soulless toads. The exploration was also not good and limited by the world map, the plot was bland and it had an awful battle system. Many of this elements are sadly confirmed to be returning in Color Splash... I still want to believe in Paper Mario but... is really any hope left? We can only dream... it also dissapoints me a lot that we didn't get any SPM representation on the Paper Mario stage in Smash. Something like Sammer's Kingdom would have been awesome.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Paper Mario is one of my favorite series of all time, the first three games mean a lot to me and I can't pick a favorite between them. However Sticker Star was not a good Paper Mario game to me. All the original characters were gone and were replaced by soulless toads. The exploration was also not good and limited by the world map, the plot was bland and it had an awful battle system. Many of this elements are sadly confirmed to be returning in Color Splash... I still want to believe in Paper Mario but... is really any hope left? We can only dream... it also dissapoints me a lot that we didn't get any SPM representation on the Paper Mario stage in Smash. Something like Sammer's Kingdom would have been awesome.
imo, no the series is dead to me at 90% likely.

Tbh, UI already accepted it, jsut going to enjoy the first 3 games :)

spm was well represented with trophies btw.

Like i am still goign to love paper mario, but I don;t feel SS and cs are ion the same series. They have a lot of different itnents and worse, they imo don't work. SS wasn't even declared as an rpg but as an action adventure one.

So, yeah, like i don't even want to support him for future smash games because there is no way they will do a moveset based on the first 3 games now.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I would prefer The Thousand-Year Door HD over other Sticker Star a.k.a. Color Splash.
at this point, I would have accepted anything that isn;t SS.

Literally anything. Spm 2.0, TTYD 2.0, pm64 2.0, a new rpg that tries new thing EVEN a new rpg that is flawed but has good ideas, I would even accept that.

But I don't want to see SS ever again. It;s not even rpg and it;s basically not even trying to be one at least spm was trying to be one and ITY MADE SENSE!

Like I am fine if they try new things and fail, what i am not fine is breaking ANY of the series consistency and worse, repeating big flaws. That I am not fine with which is why I am sayign the series is dead to me.

This series is dead to me as well. I loved the first three game, but Sticker Star is my least favorite Mario game of all time, and Color Splash seems to be the same garbage as SS. I feared this when it was mentioned in one of the Iwata Asks interviews that SS's style was going to be new standard for PM series... It's a shame how Miyamoto's meddling on Sticker Star might've ruined the whole franchise...

Top Bottom