• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

xzx

Smash Lord
Paper Mario's chances at being in FP2...

Pros: Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary, which may give us a trilogy of the first three games, or remasters or simply re-releases. This in turn could make Paper Mario get in Smash. If no such games, then simply ending the fighter's pass 2 with Paper Mario since the anniversary will be concluded.

Cons: Origami King release would be a great time to release Paper Mario but it didn't happen. Origami King spirit event could also be a disconfirmation, as if Paper Mario were in the fighter's pass then they would save them 'til Paper Mario got released as DLC spirits.

Tinfoil hat: When introducing a new character, Sakurai feels it is important to focus on the character's roots. But since the Paper Mario franchise has greatly strayed away from its roots (and Nintendo/Miyamoto kinda "hates" those games...), Nintendo/Miyamoto would want Sakurai to focus on the later games, which Sakurai can't do since it's against his philosophy like the cultured man he is. So they basically said to him: "either our wish or no Paper Mario" and Sakurai has said no to that since Smash 4...

My take: Honestly the only ray of hope I have left for Paper Mario joining Smash is if Nintendo has plans to release one (or more) of the first three Paper Mario games in any shapes or forms. (This would also mean that we would get more spirits from those games, debunking the Origami King spirit event "disconfirmation".) But my string of hope is that they could simply be saving him for last to conclude the Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary. Either one of those two scenarios seem plausible but this is only wishful thinking at best. (I personally don't think he will be a character but it ain't over until it is over if y'all know what I'm sayin'...)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Bug Fables limited physical run and special collector's editions announced.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well, shucks, we didn't make it.

But I intend to not let Paper Mario go down without a fight in the next time. Perhaps it isn't meant to be, but we're definitely going to have our day some day!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

I've made a thread for the Mario RPG series if any of you guys are still interested in sticking around and discussing the Paper Mario and other Mario RPG series as a whole.

Feel free to check it out!

Top Bottom