• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looks like everyone wants a piece of the Paper Mario pie, whether it's through art and/or gameplay.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...zzle-platformer_inspired_by_super_paper_mario

Also, the website has a couple of new details, mainly Luigi being missing, and a new character known as Captain T. Ode.

https://papermario.nintendo.com/story
Apparently the European version of the site explains Luigi is actually looking for some keys to Peach's castle. Also, I feel the need to point this old bit of trivia:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...i_king_pamphlet_is_an_advertising_masterclass

Advertising for the game is officially in aggressive mode now. Given that, it's likely that we won't see the rumored Direct until after the game releases.

Also, it's confirmed that Kamek will help in battle!

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1280876090911682561

Linked, because of a dirty word.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
GameXplain's early impressions are in

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I do love the origami aesthetics of the game, and it seems like a well put together game, but the confirmation that there's no EXP and the news that you don't even control your partners has dulled my excitement for Origami King. Still considering getting it, but I'm definitely going to be keeping a close eye out for reviewers' opinions of it.

On a similar topic, I recently played Sticker Star again (haven't played it in years, and didn't get very far at all) and I was shocked at how genuinely unfun it was. I could only play it for an hour or so before putting it down. The sticker mechanic was just plain bad. Every battle made me feel like I was wasting my resources, and I always felt like I had to micromanage the number of different types of stickers so that I didn't run out of any particular type. As a player who hates wasting items in battles, the stickers were just about the worst battle system possible for me. I couldn't do a single battle without feeling like I'd wasted items. Not only did I avoid battles, but I actively felt like I had done something wrong by entering a battle. Even though Origami King's battle system doesn't seem perfect, the fact that you'll always have access to a basic Jump and Hammer command, as well as the fact that the breakable items can be used multiple times, makes me think that battles won't feel as actively wasteful.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It does seem like two steps forward one step back, but I do appreciate how the boss battles will feel challenging enough at least.

We haven't had an entry that managed to be both fun and innovative since Super Paper Mario, so hopefully lightning will strike twice here.

Also, partners showing up for a quick attack feels like something that would fit right in a Smash moveset.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...i_king_pamphlet_is_an_advertising_masterclass

Advertising for the game is officially in aggressive mode now. Given that, it's likely that we won't see the rumored Direct until after the game releases.

Also, it's confirmed that Kamek will help in battle!

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1280876090911682561

Linked, because of a dirty word.
Really did my boy dirty here. The one opportunity they had to give Mario a freaking sick mage partner who buffs and heals and dishes out elemental damage, and they shove him in as an extra attack at the end of a turn... that you don't even control.

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
I only learned recently that Color Splash only sold 186k copies, and I can't stop laughing about it. And it's not like every game on the Wii U sold that badly; the best ones sold remarkably well (MK8, Smash, Splatoon, etc.)

We also went from having two Mario RPG series (needlessly, according to Nintendo) to none. I recognize the few little half-steps that Origami King is making to inch closer to the original games in the series, but they're still obviously content doing their own thing and it's personally not for me. It's not what I enjoyed from the first two games (I started Super Paper Mario a while ago but lost interest--meanwhile I'm currently replaying TTYD and loving it--also replayed the original Paper Mario last year and loved it). So all I can hope is that bad Origami King sales combined with Nintendo's realization that there is no Mario RPG series anymore convinces them to have Intelligent Systems actually return to RPG roots for Paper Mario.....the next time.

The other complaint I have that pretty much no one talks about is that I don't actually like the way everything is so obviously made out of paper. I hear people say that Color Splash and Origami King have 'perfected' the paper art style and even that TTYD should be remastered to look just like that. I couldn't disagree more: it's not that I don't enjoy a game with a different aesthetic--for example I loved Yoshi's Woolly World--but to me, especially in the first Paper Mario, the paper aesthetic was subtle enough that I still felt like the game's characters, world and story took place in the Mushroom Kingdom that we already knew. For example, in Super Mario 64 you could only explore outside the castle, but not beyond. In Paper Mario, you could finally see what was beyond that castle! There was a Toad Town and then beyond that various other interesting locales. People still use the Paper Mario map when trying to figure out what the geography of the Mushroom Kingdom is like (although it's probably a fruitless endeavor unfortunately). And then in TTYD, although it takes place elsewhere, it was a continuation of the story and still felt like all of it could exist in the mainline Mario universe. As if, for example, it would be possible for Mario to catch up with Goombella or visit the Boggly Woods in the next 3D Mario game. The paper stuff just felt like an aesthetic since we were playing the game through a storybook. Did anyone doubt that Yoshi's Story didn't really happen because of its storybook artstyle? Or Yoshi's Island for that matter due to it's colored pencil aesthetic?
But then along come Sticker Star and Color Splash and Origami King and the developers want to make abundantly clear that this world is a paper world, and you're not Mario, you're paper Mario, so none of this is real and it's probably all just the creation of some kid brought to life by his imagination (like the horribly immersion-breaking event in the LEGO Movie). See? You fight colored pencils and tape and there are stickers and stuff so obviously this is not taking place in the Mario universe. And in that case, if the game is telling me this isn't really Mario and none of the characters or locations are real, then.....I don't care. Why should I form any attachment? Someone may come along and crumple up the entire game and it'll be gone.
When I first saw footage of Origami King I was skeptical but willing to give it a chance--right up until the moment they revealed the 'Thing' bosses. Then I knew they had completely missed the point, again, of what was special about Paper Mario originally. So I will be skipping this entry.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I only learned recently that Color Splash only sold 186k copies, and I can't stop laughing about it. And it's not like every game on the Wii U sold that badly; the best ones sold remarkably well (MK8, Smash, Splatoon, etc.)

We also went from having two Mario RPG series (needlessly, according to Nintendo) to none. I recognize the few little half-steps that Origami King is making to inch closer to the original games in the series, but they're still obviously content doing their own thing and it's personally not for me. It's not what I enjoyed from the first two games (I started Super Paper Mario a while ago but lost interest--meanwhile I'm currently replaying TTYD and loving it--also replayed the original Paper Mario last year and loved it). So all I can hope is that bad Origami King sales combined with Nintendo's realization that there is no Mario RPG series anymore convinces them to have Intelligent Systems actually return to RPG roots for Paper Mario.....the next time.

The other complaint I have that pretty much no one talks about is that I don't actually like the way everything is so obviously made out of paper. I hear people say that Color Splash and Origami King have 'perfected' the paper art style and even that TTYD should be remastered to look just like that. I couldn't disagree more: it's not that I don't enjoy a game with a different aesthetic--for example I loved Yoshi's Woolly World--but to me, especially in the first Paper Mario, the paper aesthetic was subtle enough that I still felt like the game's characters, world and story took place in the Mushroom Kingdom that we already knew. For example, in Super Mario 64 you could only explore outside the castle, but not beyond. In Paper Mario, you could finally see what was beyond that castle! There was a Toad Town and then beyond that various other interesting locales. People still use the Paper Mario map when trying to figure out what the geography of the Mushroom Kingdom is like (although it's probably a fruitless endeavor unfortunately). And then in TTYD, although it takes place elsewhere, it was a continuation of the story and still felt like all of it could exist in the mainline Mario universe. As if, for example, it would be possible for Mario to catch up with Goombella or visit the Boggly Woods in the next 3D Mario game. The paper stuff just felt like an aesthetic since we were playing the game through a storybook. Did anyone doubt that Yoshi's Story didn't really happen because of its storybook artstyle? Or Yoshi's Island for that matter due to it's colored pencil aesthetic?
But then along come Sticker Star and Color Splash and Origami King and the developers want to make abundantly clear that this world is a paper world, and you're not Mario, you're paper Mario, so none of this is real and it's probably all just the creation of some kid brought to life by his imagination (like the horribly immersion-breaking event in the LEGO Movie). See? You fight colored pencils and tape and there are stickers and stuff so obviously this is not taking place in the Mario universe. And in that case, if the game is telling me this isn't really Mario and none of the characters or locations are real, then.....I don't care. Why should I form any attachment? Someone may come along and crumple up the entire game and it'll be gone.
When I first saw footage of Origami King I was skeptical but willing to give it a chance--right up until the moment they revealed the 'Thing' bosses. Then I knew they had completely missed the point, again, of what was special about Paper Mario originally. So I will be skipping this entry.
Paper Mario, TTYD and Super all start with a storybook. It's not exactly a stretch nor is it new that none of the events take place in the main one. You can just pretend the newer ones are recounting real stories in a stylized way, if you desperately need some "plausibility" in a fictional universe.

It is highly unlikely this game will sell badly, and unless every reviewer happens to be rabid fans of the old games the game probably won't get bad scores either. Too many fresh faces on the Switch will get into the series with this title and will have no preexisting bias to hold this game towards. Ironically, the game does give Breath Of The Wild vibes, but not for the "open-world" buzzword, but rather being a game about the journey and not the destination or objective. Battling won't directly make you stronger, but it will give you resources to make life easier (monster parts/confetti), and that's enough for me.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably unpopular opinion, but I probably prefer the original to TTYD.

However, yes, I can understand the complaints people have with the direction the series has gone, but they can also come across as really, really whiny. Especially if they won't even give the new game a chance. Like, Color Splash is a fine game, yes, held back by it's battle system, but if you let go of the expectations that it has to be like the first two, it becomes a fine game in its own way. If anything, at least they seem to be increasing in quality after Sticker Star unlike the decline I kind of felt the Mario & Luigi series kept suffering up to it's end.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Your complaints about the art style don't seem to be as uncommon as you think. I frequently see people complaining about how overdone the paper aspect is, and wishing that they would go back to putting the emphasis on Mario rather than Paper. For me, personally, I'm not exactly sure how I feel. If I had to choose, I would probably pick to go back to the less in-your-face paper aesthetic, but I love the design of all of the origami enemies so much that I don't really mind this game's style.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Your complaints about the art style don't seem to be as uncommon as you think. I frequently see people complaining about how overdone the paper aspect is, and wishing that they would go back to putting the emphasis on Mario rather than Paper. For me, personally, I'm not exactly sure how I feel. If I had to choose, I would probably pick to go back to the less in-your-face paper aesthetic, but I love the design of all of the origami enemies so much that I don't really mind this game's style.
Thing is, it feels like the complaints oftentimes don't have much to do with the quality of the style itself, but just the paradigm shift it represents, and that's when they're not also trying to downplay everything else that is actually good about the newer games to make them look like they have as few redeeming qualities as possible.

The irony of course being that the trend of doubling down on the paper aesthetic actually started with the beloved TTYD.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I will say, it was a bit offputting when they talked about the open world as if it was the first game to do so when it's actually the third.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
The paper aesthetic is the one thing I like about Origami King so far, but I also feel like if they're going to go this far with the artstyle, they should at least implement an actual variety of ways to interact with the world than what they've done so far. The only reason I think they're keeping that so simple is probably cause it'd be a sensory overload for the target audience they're going for.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's a significant difference in focus on paper themes between TTYD (& Super) and the Post Sticker Star games. It's not even remotely comparable.
TTYD still has way more paper themes going on than the original did. Who is to say they would not have continued pushing that to where we are now, even if they didn't change the gameplay? And more importantly, would most people actually be making a big deal out of it in that scenario?

Super is the oddball in that it's less about paper and more Flash/computer art tools.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
TTYD still has way more paper themes going on than the original did.
But the difference in focus on Paper themes between TTYD and 64 is tiny between the difference in focus between TTYD and SS onward. A couple of abilities focusing on Paper vs the entire game shoving the theme in your face every five seconds, like I said before, is not comparable.

Who is to say they would not have continued pushing that to where we are now, even if they didn't change the gameplay? And more importantly, would most people actually be making a big deal out of it in that scenario?
Sure, if they kept the gameplay system people loved and gave us story and characters that are on par with the original three while doing the paper theme (which might be expressly more difficult), people wouldn't mind as much. But they didn't. And that's why people have become bitter.

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
Huge heads-up: apparently Origami King has been leaked online already, so be super careful out there with spoilers.

Also, I'm curious... I've heard that the recent Paper Mario games had a comparatively better reception in Japan, but how do Japanese players feel about the older ones? Are they as intense about it as in the west? Depending on how loud they are, it could make a difference in how long it takes for those games to get proper rereleases or even remade.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Huge heads-up: apparently Origami King has been leaked online already, so be super careful out there with spoilers.

Also, I'm curious... I've heard that the recent Paper Mario games had a comparatively better reception in Japan, but how do Japanese players feel about the older ones? Are they as intense about it as in the west? Depending on how loud they are, it could make a difference in how long it takes for those games to get proper rereleases or even remade.
A lot of them liked the older games as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Welp, looks like Paper Mario's anti-leak security is still paper-thin, the entire game got leaked on the net. That dataminer is a dead man walking.

I'm mostly seeing comments about the final boss theme of all things. Someone said it feels like it came right out of Three Houses.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
On one hand, Origami King.

On the other, it finally got me to buy Bug Fables which is pretty good so far, and two LPers I like watching (NicoB and WoolieVS) are playing through TTYD, so I can't complain too badly.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
On the other, it finally got me to buy Bug Fables which is pretty good so far, and two LPers I like watching (NicoB and WoolieVS) are playing through TTYD, so I can't complain too badly.
Was wondering if someone would bring up NicoB on this thread after he revealed TTYD as his next LP today. Between him and Woolie, I am glad the game is getting some good blind content, and I can't wait for both to continually see the elements that make the game so beloved.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm a little worried that if we get Paper Mario in Smash, he'll be based exclusively on Origami King. TOK seems like a good game and on principle, I don't mind them focusing on it, but Mario's abilities in it are relatively limited. All he really does (from what we know) is jump, hammer, throw confetti, and use the Thousand Fold Arms. There's certainly moves that can be made out of that (confetti Up Smash, tether Up Special), but I worry that an entire moveset based just around these would feel a little bland. I could definitely see them trying to represent all of the newer games, though, in which case he could use mini versions of the Things or attacks based on different Stickers. I could definitely see Things like the Fire Extinguisher or the Squirt Gun being used in his moveset, and looking through the list of stickers, there's actually a surprising number that could possibly be used (Tail, POW Block, Shell, Leaf, Snowball, Spike Ball, Barrel, Wrench, Bone, Boomerang, Bomb, Throwing Star). That could make him a sort of 'item fighter' like Villager, where most of his attacks pull out various items with different functions. Not sure if that's the best option, since it has the possibility of taking away from Paper Mario's core abilities, but it's definitely an option.

Considering how much effort they're putting into the DLC characters, I would love to see Paper Mario have a gimmick where his B or Down B brings in a random partner (probably from among a selection of the more popular/notable ones like Vivian, Goombella, and Bobby) who would temporarily follow him around and give him access to an additional move. Alternatively, perhaps they could automatically use an attack after Mario uses a Smash attack or Special Move, replicating the gameplay of Paper Mario games where the partner gets a turn to attack after Mario. Heck, Mario could maybe even have a partner permanently following him and fighting with him, and switching your partner would switch up your moveset. In the first two games (to my knowledge), you almost never fight without a partner, so giving Paper Mario a partner all the time would actually be pretty accurate to the gameplay of them. These partner ideas are all incredibly unlikely, especially considering Origami King still doesn't have that much emphasis on partners, but I think it would be a great way of making his moveset feel exciting and fresh while also representing the gameplay of his games (just like Sakurai strove to do with Min Min and the other DLC fighters). It would add a new, interesting moveset to the cast that stands out from any other fighter, and it would keep Paper Mario from being seen as "just another Mario".

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
You may need to give up any notion of having partners in his moveset. Partners as they used to be seem to more or less be a thing of the past, and even then, they've only truly been in two games of what is now a five game series. Less than half, or exactly half as TOK only has them in a rather limited capacity. That said, it doesn't mean that the other games can't help make up his moveset. The spin from the original would make a great dash attack, quake hammer would be great as a down smash, tornado jump could make an appearance, hammer throw, and the Ultra jump would be pretty much the go to for an up special. They could even use the roll for his, well, roll. Course, the new ones should be present as well. I think the spinning animation would be pretty decent for charging a forward smash hammer swing (maybe with a shockwave if charged more?) and the drill jump could make for some sort of down special the guard animation would work well for when he's shielding. And, of course, those new arms would be perfect for his grab. Honestly, super is probably the hardest one to reference with something that is definitively from super. For a FS, I would go with Star Beam personally along with a neat little attribute that it removes status effects from anyone it hits (a lot of the first game's moves carried over, but that is unique to 64), but it might also be the fan.

There is no technical reason it has to be one or the other, but partners being a major aspect would skew it most definitely in one direction. And, even then you didn't balance it between the first two as you didn't pick a single one from the first game, and...Bobby is likely the least memorable of the Bob-Omb partners. Ask yourself if you really want to represent the series, or just TTYD. Like it or not, partners just aren't that important anymore to the point that, yes, you fight more alone than with them as they aren't even always present in the new one and if they are, they might not do anything.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
You may need to give up any notion of having partners in his moveset. Partners as they used to be seem to more or less be a thing of the past, and even then, they've only truly been in two games of what is now a five game series. Less than half, or exactly half as TOK only has them in a rather limited capacity. That said, it doesn't mean that the other games can't help make up his moveset. The spin from the original would make a great dash attack, quake hammer would be great as a down smash, tornado jump could make an appearance, hammer throw, and the Ultra jump would be pretty much the go to for an up special. They could even use the roll for his, well, roll. Course, the new ones should be present as well. I think the spinning animation would be pretty decent for charging a forward smash hammer swing (maybe with a shockwave if charged more?) and the drill jump could make for some sort of down special the guard animation would work well for when he's shielding. And, of course, those new arms would be perfect for his grab. Honestly, super is probably the hardest one to reference with something that is definitively from super. For a FS, I would go with Star Beam personally along with a neat little attribute that it removes status effects from anyone it hits (a lot of the first game's moves carried over, but that is unique to 64), but it might also be the fan.

There is no technical reason it has to be one or the other, but partners being a major aspect would skew it most definitely in one direction. And, even then you didn't balance it between the first two as you didn't pick a single one from the first game, and...Bobby is likely the least memorable of the Bob-Omb partners. Ask yourself if you really want to represent the series, or just TTYD. Like it or not, partners just aren't that important anymore to the point that, yes, you fight more alone than with them as they aren't even always present in the new one and if they are, they might not do anything.
Don't worry, I'm completely aware that incorporating partners into his moveset is extremely unlikely, and I acknowledged that in my post. It was just an idea that I think could be cool. I like your move suggestions, and that's why I'm hoping that his moveset wouldn't be exclusively taken from Origami King.

The partners I listed were never supposed to be some comprehensive list of all of the partners that should be represented. I just listed a couple of the popular partners that I remembered off the top of my head as examples, and since the TTYD ones seem to be more talked about than the 64 ones and I'm more familiar with them, my brain jumped to those first. I figured it was a given that if partners were actually included, they would include partners from 64 as well. I don't have a notable bias towards TTYD; in fact, I've never even played it (though I have watched a playthrough of it). My personal bias would actually skew the moveset far more towards Super Paper Mario than any of the other games (though as you mentioned, it is pretty hard to represent Super directly). As for why I included Bobby, he's not incredibly well received (as of right now), but they would obviously want to include a partner from Origami King, and Bobby has been pushed far more heavily than the other partners. Of the Origami King partners, he's the most notable.

You're completely right that partners are far less important to the series now than they used to be, but it seems to me that the fanbase seems to overall really love partners, and they're still a substantial enough part of the series that it wouldn't be weird to include them. I saw a ton of people thrilled about the addition of partners in Origami King, and I honestly can't remember seeing a single person complain about having them (though I did see lots of complaints about how the partners were implemented). I think most Paper Mario fans would be happy with partners being represented in his moveset.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, the fanbase loves them, but they seem to have trouble looking past the second installment, and perhaps in extreme cases, even acknowledging that TTYD is flawed. Like I said, I prefer 64. People are more than welcome to dislike the new direction, but the fact is that's what the series is now, and a return to form seems unlikely.

Besides, it doesn't actually do all that much to affect PM's moveset himself as for most of that stuff, he still has to do something, so it's less giving him stuff that isn't jumps and hammer, but rather giving him a Luma. Which still leaves something of an issue with full movesets. I've given this a decent amount of though. Stuff like the spin hammer for a nair, fire brand for a side special, maybe hammer throw for an aerial or two. It could be done though. Up smash could be...kind of the spin jump from 64. Maybe even make his spot dodge the flip from Super. You just have to dig deep and look for it. Like, maybe the spin jump is actually his up tilt and his up smash is the spike hat from Color Splash. Jab/forward tilt might be one of the moves I struggle with the most as one would likely be a simple hammer swing, but I don't know what the other would be. Or maybe it progresses with normal swing, battle swing, and then color hammer for the actual smash attack. Or maybe use the raccoon tail as he's started to do. Might could be a nice down tilt.

Honestly, I can work out most of a potential moveset, but parts still are problematic I admit. Though, the Smash team could likely fill those in easier than I. Also, maybe I'm forgetting some moves that could be used.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
It seems Paper Mario Origami King is another disappointment *Sign*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, something fascinates and baffles me about Tanabe's priorities. He took a simple suggestion so seriously that the entire series fell into an identity crisis, constantly changing mechanics up because of it, even though there would have been no problems taking the New Super Mario Bros. route and refine what's already there. It's almost like if Final Fantasy followed Akitoshi Kawazu's design philosophy after II on Famicom, and never looked back.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Disappointment is subjective. It looks like, at least for the time being, the old style is dead. Not that TTYD was perfect.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, something fascinates and baffles me about Tanabe's priorities. He took a simple suggestion so seriously that the entire series fell into an identity crisis, constantly changing mechanics up because of it, even though there would have been no problems taking the New Super Mario Bros. route and refine what's already there. It's almost like if Final Fantasy followed Akitoshi Kawazu's design philosophy after II on Famicom, and never looked back.
Why don't you just ask the Mario & Luigi series that took the NSMB approach (in more ways than one by the end) to see how that approach worked out in the long run? Eventually you hit a point where you simply can't progress any more without making "alienating" changes, fine for some genres like fighting games, but RPGs will live and die by their stories if gameplay stagnates, and Mario has it worse than most as I'll describe shortly.

Maybe Paper Mario has to experiment so much because Super peaked the serial story escalation too fast (how do you top the destruction of the multiverse?). Mario in general also does not have the luxury of being able to use an entirely new setting and cast with every entry; no matter how far you go from the Mushroom Kingdom, you'll always be anchored by standbys Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi etc.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Honestly, it probably shouldn't have been much of a surprise that Alpha Dream went under. Especially since in the past few years they just spent their time remaking old entries. The BIS one which doesn't even seem to be all that great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, it probably shouldn't have been much of a surprise that Alpha Dream went under. Especially since in the past few years they just spent their time remaking old entries. The BIS one which doesn't even seem to be all that great.
From what I understand, that company was completely burnt-out from churning out high-budget M&L after high-budget M&L. Companies do need to be given the chance to vary the titles they make to get a bit of breathing room.

At least Intelligent Systems has Fire Emblem to fall back on, AD basically had no series beyond M&L for their last few years.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
From what I understand, that company was completely burnt-out from churning out high-budget M&L after high-budget M&L. Companies do need to be given the chance to vary the titles they make to get a bit of breathing room.

At least Intelligent Systems has Fire Emblem to fall back on, AD basically had no series beyond M&L for their last few years.
Technically, IS is probably falling back on Paper Mario. Even then, I don't think the Fire Emblem and Paper Mario teams have too much overlap.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Disappointment is subjective. It looks like, at least for the time being, the old style is dead. Not that TTYD was perfect.
On the other hand, were people saying this about "explorer" 3D Mario during the transition to "linear" 3D Mario until Odyssey?

Top Bottom