• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This game seems like its own thing as opposed to SS an CS.

I'm willing to give it a shot.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Action Adventure, so it's taking a different gameplay style similar to Super Paper Mario where it's 2D platforming rather than an RPG.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Action Adventure, so it's taking a different gameplay style similar to Super Paper Mario where it's 2D platforming rather than an RPG.
It's probably a mix of both I don't know. I think the old RPG mechanics system is back so we are back in business folks.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It says Action RPG on the UK Eshop apparently so might be a mix of all three.
The best possible outcome is that it's taking the few good parts of SS and the best parts of CS and mixing that with the ol Paper Mario formula.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Paper Mario being allies with Bowser, Jr. and the rest of the Koopa Troop is promising. Peach being possessed and trying to assimilate Mario early on caught my interest. Bowser looks like he's going to be treated like a joke again and I like that; he's small, vulnerable, and useless without Mario, I really want to see where this goes.
The battle system is promising. The new ring system in battles looks like it brings back decision-making (aka the whole point of turn-based combat.) If there's an incentive to do well in battle, or heck just an incentive to start fights at all, this could end up being a perfect evolution of the classic PM combat.

Unfortunately, I'm not looking forward to the exploration aspects, and I don't think there was ever going to be chance I would have. The designs look nice, they don't look like typical grasslands, deserts, forest, etc, but that's just what they look like on the outside. Recent games have focused a lot on spectacle more than substance, with the areas themselves feeling like an afterthought; they're just a frame built to be filled with context-sensitive set-pieces. Interacting with the world almost exclusively meant activating an “epic/action-packed” cutscene, getting some NPC to throw a meme at you, then moving on to the next stage. Older games had regions specifically crafted more like a traditional RPG... obviously, because that's what they were! lol. I've got a feeling there's going to be a lot of forgettable areas in this one. Also, there's the puzzles. Personally this was one area where Mario & Luigi has always been unquestionably better; overworld puzzles relied on making the player use their party's abilities to progress through a level, with the party learning more as they got further in the game. When the entire game's levels are designed around a situational, single-function mechanic like the 1000 Arms ability, there's just not as many opportunities for some good puzzles. If it ends up having multiple uses, maaaybe it will be decent, but I don't have faith in them getting genuinely creative with this one.

I'm almost excited for this one. I just need some reassurance that it's not going to have the exact same problems that made SS and CS so bad.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I think the battle system and how much they include the story/tag-along partners is what's going to make or break it for me. I have no problem with the series going in a different direction (I love SPM) as long as it keeps the heart of the series at its core.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This new game looks promising. Am gonna give it a shot.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I just hope there is no overworld map like in Sticker Star or in Color Splash, I hated these...
My hopes for Paper Mario in Smash are big again, he definitely deserves to be in Smash, alongside with dozens of great Paper Mario tracks.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've always been of the opinion that different from the 64/TTYD model doesn't necessarily mean bad, I greatly enjoyed Super Paper Mario and actually think it blended the platformer and RPG elements better than most people give it credit for.

The more significant problem with SS & CS wasn't that they were different from the earlier titles, it was because they felt like they lacked depth, felt more homogeneous, and disincentivized players from battling. If Origami King can address those elements, it can be just as good as SPM was; a contrasting Paper Mario game that nonetheless lends itself to being replayed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've always been of the opinion that different from the 64/TTYD model doesn't necessarily mean bad, I greatly enjoyed Super Paper Mario and actually think it blended the platformer and RPG elements better than most people give it credit for.

The more significant problem with SS & CS wasn't that they were different from the earlier titles, it was because they felt like they lacked depth, felt more homogeneous, and disincentivized players from battling. If Origami King can address those elements, it can be just as good as SPM was; a contrasting Paper Mario game that nonetheless lends itself to being replayed.
Part of that was likely due to Tanabe taking Miyamoto's suggestions too much to heart. The guy likes simple things, but there is such a thing as too simple.

At least the plot changes things up from "yo, Bowser's the final boss" so far, I'll wait until we get a general consensus on the game's quality before determining if I should commit into it.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Well guys, its happening. That leaked paper mario is true, and it looks pretty good. I dont see partners, but the ganeplay doesnt seem to use any sticker or gimmick stuff, and the story seems darker, and comedy is there.

Edit: screenshots seem to hint at partners coming back

Gonna say this here: This game looks like more of the bad game we've gotten thus far. No story. No characters. An over reliance on the Paper gimmick. And yes, the battles look just as bad as before. Color Splash's problem wasn't the fact you had consumable items. It was that it was piss easy and there was no scarcity. You got paint, coins and card so easily that there wasn't a reason to participate in the gameplay. Until they show actual leveling up in this game, I'm going to assume the battles are equally as pointless. If they are going to try and make an Action Adventure game, then get rid of the boring turn based combat.

Origami King looks like a title you play once, put down and never think about again. Well, at best. More likely it will be boring nothingness with McGuffins and pointless combat. It's clear Nintendo has no faith in this title. They barely showed any of the gameplay and details are scarcer for a game that releases in 2 months. There was no reason they couldn't have put this in the mini Direct but something tells me they are trying to shove this one under the rug. I'd say just save your money.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gonna say this here: This game looks like more of the bad game we've gotten thus far. No story. No characters. An over reliance on the Paper gimmick. And yes, the battles look just as bad as before. Color Splash's problem wasn't the fact you had consumable items. It was that it was piss easy and there was no scarcity. You got paint, coins and card so easily that there wasn't a reason to participate in the gameplay. Until they show actual leveling up in this game, I'm going to assume the battles are equally as pointless. If they are going to try and make an Action Adventure game, then get rid of the boring turn based combat.

Origami King looks like a title you play once, put down and never think about again. Well, at best. More likely it will be boring nothingness with McGuffins and pointless combat. It's clear Nintendo has no faith in this title. They barely showed any of the gameplay and details are scarcer for a game that releases in 2 months. There was no reason they couldn't have put this in the mini Direct but something tells me they are trying to shove this one under the rug. I'd say just save your money.
If they had no faith in a title or series, then they would just not make any new titles. Regardless of one's opinion, others did genuinely enjoy their time with Color Splash, notably Andre (I think) from Gamexplain, despite also hating Sticker Star, so clearly some evolution is happening to these titles beyond surface level and nostalgia vitriol.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If they had no faith in a title or series, then they would just not make any new titles. Regardless of one's opinion, others did genuinely enjoy their time with Color Splash, notably Andre (I think) from Gamexplain, despite also hating Sticker Star, so clearly some evolution is happening to these titles beyond surface level and nostalgia vitriol.
Before this game came out, no one was begging for a sequel to Color Splash. People were excited as rumors were suggesting it was a return to 64/TTYD. No one said "Ahhh man, but I want more Color Splash." This is all you really need to know about the public perspective of Paper Mario.

Even still, improvements on a bad formula is still a bad game. Sure it's better than Sticker Star, but being better is relative. It doesn't match the quality of other games in the series or the other Mario RPG. It's hard to actual point to Color Splash and see anything it did well. At best, they'll point to little quips the characters make from time to time to justify the game not being a pile of human excrement. They will point to the artstyle. But these things are surface level and rarely do they meet the quality of other games available. And it begs this question: why should people be interested in Nintendo trying to make work the bad style rather than replicate the good style.

To the point of no faith, remember that marketing and production isn't always the same. This game may have been green lit on the idea that "This time it will work." It's also a Mario title so it has potential to sell well. It's clear marketing is looking at this game and thinking "this is a disaster" so they are trying to get it out before anyone takes a long hard look at it. Seeing as how they announced Club House Games in the Direct and not Origami King, despite coming out a month later, is saying something.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hey everyone, apologies for the delayed response on everything that's happened. Was a bit busy yesterday, and my inactivity on SB kinda stalled me from checking here as well, but this is definitely the kind of announcement to bring me back into the action to stay. I do think this is a good result in the end since I've been able to put together a more developed opinion than I would have were I to post a knee-jerk reaction to everything the moment I saw it.

So, new Paper Mario game eh? Looks like we're back on the map boyz. In all seriousness, there's a lot to talk about in the coming... 2 months leading up to the game's release, and how it will affect us as character supporters. To start, I'll share my own opinion on what we've seen so far. Since I don't know what all has been posted in this thread since I've only just checked in (I'll go back and read everything people have posted soon), I'll post any relevant links and images to what I'm talking about, under spoiler tags to save space.

For my overall opinion on everything, it could be summed up as cautious optimism. My first viewing of the trailer had me concerned, to say the least, thinking it would basically just be "Color Splash but better" like Color Splash was to Sticker Star. However, after all the info I've taken in since then, I've developed further thoughts on everything, overall more positive than my initial viewing.

To start, let's talk about the story. It's too soon to tell for sure if it'll be more engaging than the last 2 games, but it at least seems to be a step up with Bowser in a supporting role, rather than the main antagonist. There's some slightly darker undertones in the intro of the trailer, but again, we're gonna have to wait to know for sure how good the story is.

As for the visuals, seems about on par with Color Splash, continuing the trend of the overdone paper aesthetic. Not terrible, but I prefer the whole paper shtick to not be up in your face at all times. I've accepted it at this point, though it would be nice if they toned the craft stuff down a little. Since the origami stuff ties into the plot though I guess it can't be helped. On that topic, the origami visuals are neat at least.

And for the big one, gameplay. Since we don't have a lot to go off of in that department, a lot of this comes down to close observations and expectations. To start, let's tackle the big return of PARTNERS. While we don't know to what extent these partners will have a role in the game, it's been confirmed you will gain "allies" the likes of Bowser and the Toads. Now's a good opportunity to link the official site for the game, where this info among other things is all detailed, I recommend you check it out. https://papermario.nintendo.com/ Along with folded-up Bowser and Toad(s), the visual at the top suggests that the other enemy characters behind Mario are also potential allies, with a Bob-omb and Bowser Jr. being more or less highlighted within the trailer.

I'm still divided on this entire idea, since the allies seemingly look to have the basic enemy designs and I'm still uncertain if they classify as permanent party members or if they are just temporary allies for story progression purposes. It's definitely a step in the right direction, especially since it seems each ally will have at least some sort of introduction and/or substantial dialogue with some sort of personality, but the generic designs sort of diminishes their inclusion for me. I've heard speculation that it may be possible that you can potentially customize your allies with outfits, maybe providing them with stat boosts a la an armor system, or that your allies may progressively develop a deeper personality throughout the course of the game and gain unique outfits to match. However, these are purely speculative and it's equally possible that you will encounter a number of the same enemy type for temporary story progression, meaning at different times in the story you might have access to a generic Toad and the Toad in an explorer's outfit as shown in the trailer. It's just too early to tell for sure how allies are handled until they give us more information.

A short aside, since I'm not sure where else to put this, but it seems like the world is no longer divided up into individual levels and is instead more open world. I don't know how interconnected the individual chapters will be, but hopefully the format will be better than the last 2 games.

On the battle system, stickers/cards and Things seem to be entirely gone, and thank goodness for that. There's still a lot we're in the dark about when it comes to the battle system, so I'll keep my mouth shut about my opinions until we know more. There's no confirmation that an EXP system exists to incentivize battling, but I've seen screenshots that show the HP bar increases in increments of 10, so it's at least possible that it increases through leveling rather than HP increase pickups throughout the story, but we can't know for certain yet. There is also a new mechanic to the fights, where you can rotate segments of the circular arena to line up enemies to attack them all at once. I don't know how involved the battle system will be, but I can imagine some possibilities for strategy with this system. So, while it may be different from what we're used to, there's still potential for it to be good. Gotta wait and see. Here's a short clip of the system in action if you haven't seen it yet.
Also, your allies are able to participate in battle to some extent based on these screenshots. Unsure how it all ties in, but I can imagine the Bob-omb partner being able to explode and damage all enemies in the ring closest to the center, as one example.
partner icons.png

toad partner.png

Finally, let's talk briefly about where this puts us as supporters for Smash. There's an opportunity here. The timing is perfect. It's entirely possible Paper Mario has been considered for the 2nd fighters pass. With Byleth and an ARMS character being added, we're in a great position to finally make it in with this new game announcement. Keep up the support everyone, I'll be right there with you. Fingers crossed.
:bobomb:

I think this brings me to the end of everything I wanted to talk about, thanks for sticking through this with me lol. I really, really want to like this game, so hopefully the game delivers on the expectations it's set for us. It may not be precisely the return to form we all wanted, but hopefully we finally get a good game out of this. Time will tell, time will tell. To end I'll share a cool easter egg in the game, so don't click if you don't want it spoiled and stuff.
Pics of all the different designs for Peach across the series. I especially enjoy the 64 one.
easter egg.jpg

Oh yeah, also a quick reminder to everyone that I have a Discord server open for character support and general discussion. Everyone's welcome, so consider checking it out! Definitely lots to talk about in the coming months. Hope to see you there! https://discord.com/invite/93kYmY5

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey everyone, apologies for the delayed response on everything that's happened. Was a bit busy yesterday, and my inactivity on SB kinda stalled me from checking here as well, but this is definitely the kind of announcement to bring me back into the action to stay. I do think this is a good result in the end since I've been able to put together a more developed opinion than I would have were I to post a knee-jerk reaction to everything the moment I saw it.

So, new Paper Mario game eh? Looks like we're back on the map boyz. In all seriousness, there's a lot to talk about in the coming... 2 months leading up to the game's release, and how it will affect us as character supporters. To start, I'll share my own opinion on what we've seen so far. Since I don't know what all has been posted in this thread since I've only just checked in (I'll go back and read everything people have posted soon), I'll post any relevant links and images to what I'm talking about, under spoiler tags to save space.

For my overall opinion on everything, it could be summed up as cautious optimism. My first viewing of the trailer had me concerned, to say the least, thinking it would basically just be "Color Splash but better" like Color Splash was to Sticker Star. However, after all the info I've taken in since then, I've developed further thoughts on everything, overall more positive than my initial viewing.

To start, let's talk about the story. It's too soon to tell for sure if it'll be more engaging than the last 2 games, but it at least seems to be a step up with Bowser in a supporting role, rather than the main antagonist. There's some slightly darker undertones in the intro of the trailer, but again, we're gonna have to wait to know for sure how good the story is.

As for the visuals, seems about on par with Color Splash, continuing the trend of the overdone paper aesthetic. Not terrible, but I prefer the whole paper shtick to not be up in your face at all times. I've accepted it at this point, though it would be nice if they toned the craft stuff down a little. Since the origami stuff ties into the plot though I guess it can't be helped. On that topic, the origami visuals are neat at least.

And for the big one, gameplay. Since we don't have a lot to go off of in that department, a lot of this comes down to close observations and expectations. To start, let's tackle the big return of PARTNERS. While we don't know to what extent these partners will have a role in the game, it's been confirmed you will gain "allies" the likes of Bowser and the Toads. Now's a good opportunity to link the official site for the game, where this info among other things is all detailed, I recommend you check it out. https://papermario.nintendo.com/ Along with folded-up Bowser and Toad(s), the visual at the top suggests that the other enemy characters behind Mario are also potential allies, with a Bob-omb and Bowser Jr. being more or less highlighted within the trailer.

I'm still divided on this entire idea, since the allies seemingly look to have the basic enemy designs and I'm still uncertain if they classify as permanent party members or if they are just temporary allies for story progression purposes. It's definitely a step in the right direction, especially since it seems each ally will have at least some sort of introduction and/or substantial dialogue with some sort of personality, but the generic designs sort of diminishes their inclusion for me. I've heard speculation that it may be possible that you can potentially customize your allies with outfits, maybe providing them with stat boosts a la an armor system, or that your allies may progressively develop a deeper personality throughout the course of the game and gain unique outfits to match. However, these are purely speculative and it's equally possible that you will encounter a number of the same enemy type for temporary story progression, meaning at different times in the story you might have access to a generic Toad and the Toad in an explorer's outfit as shown in the trailer. It's just too early to tell for sure how allies are handled until they give us more information.

A short aside, since I'm not sure where else to put this, but it seems like the world is no longer divided up into individual levels and is instead more open world. I don't know how interconnected the individual chapters will be, but hopefully the format will be better than the last 2 games.

On the battle system, stickers/cards and Things seem to be entirely gone, and thank goodness for that. There's still a lot we're in the dark about when it comes to the battle system, so I'll keep my mouth shut about my opinions until we know more. There's no confirmation that an EXP system exists to incentivize battling, but I've seen screenshots that show the HP bar increases in increments of 10, so it's at least possible that it increases through leveling rather than HP increase pickups throughout the story, but we can't know for certain yet. There is also a new mechanic to the fights, where you can rotate segments of the circular arena to line up enemies to attack them all at once. I don't know how involved the battle system will be, but I can imagine some possibilities for strategy with this system. So, while it may be different from what we're used to, there's still potential for it to be good. Gotta wait and see. Here's a short clip of the system in action if you haven't seen it yet.
Also, your allies are able to participate in battle to some extent based on these screenshots. Unsure how it all ties in, but I can imagine the Bob-omb partner being able to explode and damage all enemies in the ring closest to the center, as one example.

Finally, let's talk briefly about where this puts us as supporters for Smash. There's an opportunity here. The timing is perfect. It's entirely possible Paper Mario has been considered for the 2nd fighters pass. With Byleth and an ARMS character being added, we're in a great position to finally make it in with this new game announcement. Keep up the support everyone, I'll be right there with you. Fingers crossed.
:bobomb:

I think this brings me to the end of everything I wanted to talk about, thanks for sticking through this with me lol. I really, really want to like this game, so hopefully the game delivers on the expectations it's set for us. It may not be precisely the return to form we all wanted, but hopefully we finally get a good game out of this. Time will tell, time will tell. To end I'll share a cool easter egg in the game, so don't click if you don't want it spoiled and stuff.
Pics of all the different designs for Peach across the series. I especially enjoy the 64 one.
View attachment 271877

Oh yeah, also a quick reminder to everyone that I have a Discord server open for character support and general discussion. Everyone's welcome, so consider checking it out! Definitely lots to talk about in the coming months. Hope to see you there! https://discord.com/invite/93kYmY5
Some other things to note about the battle system:

You only have a limited amount of time and moves to rotate the rings with, and while you can use coins to get more of the former, the latter means there will be times where you just can't get the optimal line-up and have to work with what you have, especially if enemies have tricks of their own to mess with this, such as by just moving around, possibly hindering or altering the ring movement or maybe even some enemy types that get stronger if lined up, posing some risk-reward in getting extra damage for doing so. The angry veins above their heads most likely indicate which attacks are imminent, letting you prioritize targets to minimize damage taken.

The amount of coins Mario has is also abnormally high, especially considering the scenes are most likely very early in the game. Even in Color Splash, you only really got such high amounts from the optional Roshambo temples. I wonder if that implies pricey "equipment" can be bought. And although there are holes dotting the landscape, the trailer never shows anything being done with them like the colorless spots before, and considering the relative rarity of ? blocks, if the fights were really still purely inventory-based, how could you maintain a steady supply moving through the level? There are however, an interesting amount of wooden chests.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Some other things to note about the battle system:

You only have a limited amount of time and moves to rotate the rings with, and while you can use coins to get more of the former, the latter means there will be times where you just can't get the optimal line-up and have to work with what you have, especially if enemies have tricks of their own to mess with this, such as by just moving around, possibly hindering or altering the ring movement or maybe even some enemy types that get stronger if lined up, posing some risk-reward in getting extra damage for doing so. The angry veins above their heads most likely indicate which attacks are imminent, letting you prioritize targets to minimize damage taken.

The amount of coins Mario has is also abnormally high, especially considering the scenes are most likely very early in the game. Even in Color Splash, you only really got such high amounts from the optional Roshambo temples. I wonder if that implies pricey "equipment" can be bought. And although there are holes dotting the landscape, the trailer never shows anything being done with them like the colorless spots before, and considering the relative rarity of ? blocks, if the fights were really still purely inventory-based, how could you maintain a steady supply moving through the level? There are however, an interesting amount of wooden chests.
Do you know if any of those risk-reward enemy mechanics are confirmed or is it all just speculation? Regardless I really love the idea, I think that would ensure that the battle system would have strategic merit if true. I just really want them to get the battle system right this time, haha.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you know if any of those risk-reward enemy mechanics are confirmed or is it all just speculation? Regardless I really love the idea, I think that would ensure that the battle system would have strategic merit if true. I just really want them to get the battle system right this time, haha.
They're speculating but the speculation really shows the potential of the ring idea.

Heck imagine this.

You're late game, and an enemy encounter with tons of hard enemies happens. You can line some combinations of them up, but its impossible to line all of them up. You're then forced to prioritize certain enemies adding even more strategy to the mix.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It's pretty unlikely but I'd love a demo to get a feel for the battle system.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It's pretty unlikely but I'd love a demo to get a feel for the battle system.
Good news: All the leakers said that Paper Mario would return to its roots.
Bad news: Nintendo has the genre listed as Action/Adventure.

xzx

Smash Lord
Why couldn't they just make the game like the first two Paper Mario games... At least this bolsters Paper Mario's chances of being a fighter in Ultimate.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I've honestly seen far too many people already say this game will have trash combat when we've seen, what, 10 seconds of it?

I can understand the Color Splash backlash since we had already played Sticker Star which more or less used the same system, but the fact I've seen ton of people dismiss this game based on minuscule gameplay is rather concerning.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've honestly seen far too many people already say this game will have trash combat when we've seen, what, 10 seconds of it?

I can understand the Color Splash backlash since we had already played Sticker Star which more or less used the same system, but the fact I've seen ton of people dismiss this game based on minuscule gameplay is rather concerning.
I'm willing to bet that Origami King will be more like TTYD than people are assuming.

I dunno. I got a good feeling about this one, and I didn't for Color Splash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something that I think is contributing to the skepticism about Origami King is what Nintendo's chosen to highlight. If you're fan who's utmost concerned about the value of battle systems, potential use of partners, and the possibility of variance via badges/equipment, then you see a trailer and press release which seems to focus on the visual set pieces or paper elements? Well the natural tendency for some is a cynical suspicion about how depth is actually there and a question of why the most critical elements (to them) weren't featured.

I'm not saying its entirely justified or that people don't need to exercise some patience in waiting to see what else will be shown off. However given the contrasting priorities of what's considered most important in Paper Mario to Nintendo vs what's most vital to certain fans in the last few games, I do recognize how the trailer could feed into an instinctual expectation to some that its another PM game focusing on the wrong elements.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Like I said before, I think there is room for both Paper Mario and Geno to join Smash in the same game. There really isn't competition here since Mario is such a gigantic franchise and can get away with 4 newcomers since Melee got away with 3 Mario newcomers.
Just saw this and while it would be fine to get two unique characters from the same series if they were more spaced out, with the fighters pass having limited slots, it does seem unlikely that they'd throw in two mario characters. It first happened in melee which was when they lacked a lot of the major characters and that was a vanilla release. Only times it's happened since then is with clones which are obvious exceptions and Pokemon which is an obvious exception too but either way these were all for the base roster when resources aren't as sparce. I guess we could get both but I would by no means expect it unless we get a wave 3 which is also unlikely.

I personally thought Geno had a better shot but after the new game announcement I think Paper Mario has the edge. Paper Mario could actually promote something and while promotion isn't everything, it does give him the edge in that regard and while he doesn't have the same popularity as Geno has, he at least has some to speak of. Then there is moveset potential which Paper Mario undoubtedly has the edge in too. If something changes I'll happily change my stance but I think I'm on the right track atm. On that more I better give my obligatory note of support

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They're speculating but the speculation really shows the potential of the ring idea.

Heck imagine this.

You're late game, and an enemy encounter with tons of hard enemies happens. You can line some combinations of them up, but its impossible to line all of them up. You're then forced to prioritize certain enemies adding even more strategy to the mix.
Add in spiny or flying enemies and trying not to mix the two in rows so as to not waste damage potential with one of your attack methods. The ring single-handedly addresses the issue Color Splash had where it was too easy to over or underestimate how much power was needed to take out an enemy and end up using the wrong move on the wrong enemy as a result.

A scorned fan can do anything to misattribute blame (such as believing full-paper aesthetics are responsible for losing other things they like) or pretend the actual good qualities (like the music) of the games they don't like are actually bad, if only by association.

Something that I think is contributing to the skepticism about Origami King is what Nintendo's chosen to highlight. If you're fan who's utmost concerned about the value of battle systems, potential use of partners, and the possibility of variance via badges/equipment, then you see a trailer and press release which seems to focus on the visual set pieces or paper elements? Well the natural tendency for some is a cynical suspicion about how depth is actually there and a question of why the most critical elements (to them) weren't featured.

I'm not saying its entirely justified or that people don't need to exercise some patience in waiting to see what else will be shown off. However given the contrasting priorities of what's considered most important in Paper Mario to Nintendo vs what's most vital to certain fans in the last few games, I do recognize how the trailer could feed into an instinctual expectation to some that its another PM game focusing on the wrong elements.
When has a reveal trailer for a game, let alone an RPG of any sort (Origami King probably gets the Action-Adventure label for having more action set-pieces than past games, and the timer in battles for rotating doesn't hurt either), ever gone into detail for their gameplay, unless there is little story to speak of? This video shows there is a whole lot more going on than at first glance, stuff that would probably kill the flow of the trailer if they stopped to explain:

Of particular note is the menu on the left, separated between Gear and Items. So can we stop worrying this is Color Splash 2.0 now?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
When has a reveal trailer for a game, let alone an RPG of any sort (Origami King probably gets the Action-Adventure label for having more action set-pieces than past games, and the timer in battles for rotating doesn't hurt either), ever gone into detail for their gameplay, unless there is little story to speak of? This video shows there is a whole lot more going on than at first glance, stuff that would probably kill the flow of the trailer if they stopped to explain:

Of particular note is the menu on the left, separated between Gear and Items. So can we stop worrying this is Color Splash 2.0 now?
I'm not saying you're entirely wrong here, I'm just saying any news or reveals right now that doesn't have a heavy focus on combat and/or partners is going to be a bit side eyed by some since that's where most people's worries are. There could very well be another mini-direct on it a month from now will ease most fears and we get a detailed insight into a very in depth game that's a genuine a move away from Color Splash. Until that comes though, you're gonna see a lot of people defaulting to skepticism. I disagree with anyone who views OK with completely pessimism, but I don't blame anyone who isn't embracing it with open arms either.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Been a while since I last visited this thread, but I wanted to show my support once again. I hope Sakurai adds Paper Mario and proves to everyone that he's not just "Mario #3".

With that said, I'm glad we're getting a new Paper Mario game, and I hope it's ends up being significantly better than the previous two entries.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Surprised I never posted in this thread before. I support Paper Mario for Smash (or any other 1st party character at this point). I'm excited for Origami King looks to be a fun new title in the Switch's library IMO. No idc that its not PM64 or TTYD again (as much as I love those titles). All I hope is that its not as boring and dull as Sticker Star was. Never played Color Splash or Paper Jam. I also think Super Paper Mario is incredibly underrated. I loved that game as a kid.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Surprised I never posted in this thread before. I support Paper Mario for Smash (or any other 1st party character at this point). I'm excited for Origami King looks to be a fun new title in the Switch's library IMO. No idc that its not PM64 or TTYD again (as much as I love those titles). All I hope is that its not as boring and dull as Sticker Star was. Never played Color Splash or Paper Jam. I also think Super Paper Mario is incredibly underrated. I loved that game as a kid.
I use to not like Super Mario Paper because it was the game that got rid of the RPG battle mechanic system from the series. But as I got older, I've came to appreciate the game more for what it is and honestly the story and characters are just as good as 64 and TTYD's. Super Paper Mario like you said is underrated.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
It's either a character reveal or a spirit event at this point. I still have the feeling though that Paper Mario will be the next DLC character.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hello everyone !
While I'm mostly a die hard Geno fan , I always just wanted any kind of Mario RPG character in Smash , and I pretty much love Paper Mario and Fawful just as much.
I pretty much played every RPG except Sticker Star , so I decided to finally give in and try to do a moveset and fighter pack ! I'm more of a competitive player , so I tend to explain the purpose of each move most of the time. I really wanted to make Paper Mario an ode to all his games , so I seriously hope that my moveset didn't ended up getting messy due to that...
So without further waiting , here is the Moveset and Fighter Pack !
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htMeC46wT0DCL5x_8IKLUU93WomMqWF_w2SYXsB_g8c/edit
Paper Mario Fighter Pack Loliko.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hello everyone !
While I'm mostly a die hard Geno fan , I always just wanted any kind of Mario RPG character in Smash , and I pretty much love Paper Mario and Fawful just as much.
I pretty much played every RPG except Sticker Star , so I decided to finally give in and try to do a moveset and fighter pack ! I'm more of a competitive player , so I tend to explain the purpose of each move most of the time. I really wanted to make Paper Mario an ode to all his games , so I seriously hope that my moveset didn't ended up getting messy due to that...
So without further waiting , here is the Moveset and Fighter Pack !
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1htMeC46wT0DCL5x_8IKLUU93WomMqWF_w2SYXsB_g8c/edit
View attachment 271989
That moveset is pretty awesome, but 1 tiny thing. Right now if Kirby sucks up Paper mario the skill is useless. Anyway to give Kirby some sort of action with it?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
That moveset is pretty awesome, but 1 tiny thing. Right now if Kirby sucks up Paper mario the skill is useless. Anyway to give Kirby some sort of action with it?
Well it would work like Olimar's copy abilitie :
You select a partner , and they directly do their attack.
Otherwise , thanks a lot !
This looks really promising, well done!!
Barry really has to be his Neutral-Air, in general I'd love to see Pixls in his moveset.
Thank you !
And yeah , the Pixls have a lot of potential for moveset making. Maybe an official moveset would use Carrie as the dash ?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I actively dont want Paper Mario in Smash now cause Im 90% sure the moveset wont have enough or any representation of the first two games and instead entirely be "paper" focused crap from SS and CS.

Top Bottom