• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
What should Paper Mario's Final Smash be? The Star/Peach Beam, Supernova, or that thing from Color Splash where he drops Bowser's castle on you?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I was thinking one of the big Stickers from Sticker Star (don't remember the official name, I only played it once years ago) since I feel SS would have the least rep in his general moveset. Maybe the Lucky Cat sticker coming down and pummeling everyone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Teenager me was beyond shocked at some of the things SPM did lmao
TTYD was pretty dark too with:
- Shadow Queen destroying Rogueport 1000 years pior to the events of the game.

- Hooktail eating/killing those who challenged him including Koops' father.

- Kolorado's father remains being in Hooktail's Castle along with a bunch of other dead bodies.

- TEC referencing to Peach that the treasure behind the Thousand Year Door is a ancient demon.

- Grubba sucking the life out of Glitz Pit warriors and than hiding them in a secret room upstairs.

- Bobbery's wife getting sick and dying at home while he is out at sea.

- Shadow Queen literally killing Grodus on screen only for us to find out in the credits he is still alive but he only has a head.

There is probably more, but I can't remember what else.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really hope Paper Mario is the promotion pick lol. That and a new good PM game would be a dream.
Paper Mario would be nice. It's possible for us to get both Paper Mario and Geno because there really isn't any competition between the two honestly. Competition between characters or the opinion that only one can get in is a stupid fan rule.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Paper Mario would be nice. It's possible for us to get both Paper Mario and Geno because there really isn't any competition between the two honestly. Competition between characters or the opinion that only one can get in is a stupid fan rule.
Well there is competition between every character since there are a limited number of slots but I digress. Paper Mario definitely should have been in since Smash 4, it’s sad to see has popularity has wayned a bit (thanks Nintendo) because he used to be fairly high on the wanted list by Nintendo fans, nowadays I’m not so sure but with the inclusion of Byleth and potentially a new old school PM game there is shot.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I don't think Paper Mario's popularity has waned at all. People still love the original and Thousand-Year Door. Hell, they may be more popular than ever. The series is definitely going through a Banjo-Kazooie moment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think Paper Mario's popularity has waned at all. People still love the original and Thousand-Year Door. Hell, they may be more popular than ever. The series is definitely going through a Banjo-Kazooie moment.
Yeah, but Sticker Star and Color Splash still suck though. I feel like Intelligent Systems will never go back to the 64/TTYD RPG mechanics. :(

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Yeah, but Sticker Star and Color Splash still suck though. I feel like Intelligent Systems will never go back to the 64/TTYD RPG mechanics. :(
Color Splash is underrated. It's probably the funniest Nintendo game ever. And remember, there's that very persistent rumor that says an old-school Paper Mario and 2D Metroid are coming this year!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With the high chances of Sping Man getting promoted right now and a rumored Paper Mario game coming to the Switch, Paper Mario could be a likely contender now. Let's hope he get's chosen along with Geno. It would be great for us all if we could get both Paper Mario and Geno in.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now hope is a thing again.

It just needs all the ingredients

1. A Combat System that isn't stupid and fustrating
2. A witty script
3. A semi-original plot (Maybe don't have Peach kidnapped this time)
4. Original characters
5. Vocal Bowser
6. Partners who do more than act as Navi from Wind Waker
7. Badges or a new equivelent
8. The cooking mechanic.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If Paper Mario Switch is the game we've been asking for since TTYD, or at least the one we've been asking for since Super, then we're going to have a great time.

But now I have a concept: what if we combine Super Paper Mario's multiple playable characters with the partner system of previous games, in an RPG like setting?

Hear me out: Mario can jump and do Hammer attacks, as can Luigi, who has a stronger jump and weaker Hammer. Peach, instead of having a non-jump attack, can use her Parasol to become invincible for a turn at the expense of a 5 turn recharge. Bowser has flame breath, which has an extremely hard action command to time, but has long range and hits multiple targets.

We could even extend this to future characters like Donkey Kong, Wario, or even all new playable characters. To put the first two into perspective, Donkey Kong could punch an enemy to deal colossal amounts of damage, or trip and hurt himself for 5 HP if you mess up the command. Wario could be the game's thief, either using his iconic shoulder dash attack or grabbing his foes and shaking them dry of any loot, like extra coins, items or even badges.

They could even be used as a replacement/alternative/addition to partners/upgrades as a way of gating progression and adding new explorable areas, either as part of the main progression or for optional side challenges taking advantage of the platforming aspect. Use Peach's parasol to glide over to locations, ride updrafts. Luigi's higher jump gets him to places Mario can't reach. Bowser can light things on fire, giving him the ability to create light or set fuses. And from those extra playable characters, Donkey Kong could break certain walls or climb up and swing from vines and things like vines, while Wario can break other walls and always knows a way to open those really tough treasure chests. To make up for his lack of utility, perhaps Mario could be slightly faster than all of them, making it so that sustained travel as Mario is superior to travel as any of the others.

If you couldn't tell by the mention of Donkey Kong and Wario, I really want the Mario spinoffs to go back to/start including and referencing the casts and settings of those games. And not just at face value. Imagine this:

Mario has to achieve his ultimate goal insert ultimate goal here by recruiting other characters to lead the party, he and his merry crew won't cut it this time. What will you do? Will you rescue Luigi from King Boo, with the help of Daisy? Will you rescue Bowser Jr. from, say, an angry mob of Piantas as an offering to trade Bowser for Princess Peach, and recruit them both? King K. Rool is almost about to take over DK Island and eliminate the kongs! Donkey Kong could be a powerful ally. Wario is... perfectly fine. He just won't help unless you pay him an exorbitant amount of coins (like, 1 over the cap), or you help him out first directly on a quest for treasure, hidden somewhere in Diamond City. I'm actually kinda stuck on how to incorporate Yoshi or other characters into this but you get the picture. It could even be open ended up to a point: let's say after Chapter 1, you're free to do any of the following missions in any order as all of them are chapters. It could then build up to a final set of chapters where you use everybody to work together and do the thing Mario wants to do.

Of course, you'd have to balance this out with partners. I think it makes a good case for replacing required upgrades (and leaving the upgrades for battle only works out too), but you'd have to be pretty specific with what kinds of partners you have. For example, nobody here is a tattler and Goombas do tattles. Koopa boomerang stays too. But, with Donkey Kong and Wario around, a Bob-omb partner isn't exactly necessary. How about a Bullet Bill partner who isn't that helpful for battle (well, you can hit anybody, but you always take damage in return so.), but offers a fast travel service outside of it, cutting down on the backtracking that plagues TTYD for some fans in the modern age? And let's not just limit ourselves to Mario enemies here. You could have a Klobber partner that allows you to hide in a barrel, serving as a shield in battle and our answer to Lady Bow/Vivian outside of it. A Crazee Dayzee (who've made many past appearances in Paper Mario, one even being a partner for Luigi already) could sing to soothe enemies in battle or to put on a show outside of it, maybe also serving as a distraction so you can slip by enemies without being spotted.

Sorry that I kinda got carried away, but I think there's real potential here.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I really don't want to get my hopes up. I remember back in 2015-2016 all these rumors popped up about a Wii U Paper Mario and I got so excited... until it ended up being Sticker Star 2.

In the end I actually did like Color Splash on its own merits but it still def wasn't what I wanted. Still yearning for something like TTYD.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Here's hoping Paper Mario is the Mario RPG rep, due to the rumored remaster.

Paper Mario was the first video game I ever witnessed (don't remember which one, though, I was like 4), so it would be cool to see Paper Mario get in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What should Paper Mario's Final Smash be? The Star/Peach Beam, Supernova, or that thing from Color Splash where he drops Bowser's castle on you?
THE GOAT!

Staarih

Smash Master
In the end I actually did like Color Splash on its own merits but it still def wasn't what I wanted. Still yearning for something like TTYD.
I feel like Color Splash was a step towards the right direction (especially after Sticker Star). so I'm hopeful for the supposed Switch Paper Mario. At least the series still get entries even with the negative/mixed reactions towards the few latest ones. They have a chance to make Paper Mario shine again so here's hoping for the best.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Paper Mario Switch is the game we've been asking for since TTYD, or at least the one we've been asking for since Super, then we're going to have a great time.

But now I have a concept: what if we combine Super Paper Mario's multiple playable characters with the partner system of previous games, in an RPG like setting?

Hear me out: Mario can jump and do Hammer attacks, as can Luigi, who has a stronger jump and weaker Hammer. Peach, instead of having a non-jump attack, can use her Parasol to become invincible for a turn at the expense of a 5 turn recharge. Bowser has flame breath, which has an extremely hard action command to time, but has long range and hits multiple targets.

We could even extend this to future characters like Donkey Kong, Wario, or even all new playable characters. To put the first two into perspective, Donkey Kong could punch an enemy to deal colossal amounts of damage, or trip and hurt himself for 5 HP if you mess up the command. Wario could be the game's thief, either using his iconic shoulder dash attack or grabbing his foes and shaking them dry of any loot, like extra coins, items or even badges.

They could even be used as a replacement/alternative/addition to partners/upgrades as a way of gating progression and adding new explorable areas, either as part of the main progression or for optional side challenges taking advantage of the platforming aspect. Use Peach's parasol to glide over to locations, ride updrafts. Luigi's higher jump gets him to places Mario can't reach. Bowser can light things on fire, giving him the ability to create light or set fuses. And from those extra playable characters, Donkey Kong could break certain walls or climb up and swing from vines and things like vines, while Wario can break other walls and always knows a way to open those really tough treasure chests. To make up for his lack of utility, perhaps Mario could be slightly faster than all of them, making it so that sustained travel as Mario is superior to travel as any of the others.

If you couldn't tell by the mention of Donkey Kong and Wario, I really want the Mario spinoffs to go back to/start including and referencing the casts and settings of those games. And not just at face value. Imagine this:

Mario has to achieve his ultimate goal insert ultimate goal here by recruiting other characters to lead the party, he and his merry crew won't cut it this time. What will you do? Will you rescue Luigi from King Boo, with the help of Daisy? Will you rescue Bowser Jr. from, say, an angry mob of Piantas as an offering to trade Bowser for Princess Peach, and recruit them both? King K. Rool is almost about to take over DK Island and eliminate the kongs! Donkey Kong could be a powerful ally. Wario is... perfectly fine. He just won't help unless you pay him an exorbitant amount of coins (like, 1 over the cap), or you help him out first directly on a quest for treasure, hidden somewhere in Diamond City. I'm actually kinda stuck on how to incorporate Yoshi or other characters into this but you get the picture. It could even be open ended up to a point: let's say after Chapter 1, you're free to do any of the following missions in any order as all of them are chapters. It could then build up to a final set of chapters where you use everybody to work together and do the thing Mario wants to do.

Of course, you'd have to balance this out with partners. I think it makes a good case for replacing required upgrades (and leaving the upgrades for battle only works out too), but you'd have to be pretty specific with what kinds of partners you have. For example, nobody here is a tattler and Goombas do tattles. Koopa boomerang stays too. But, with Donkey Kong and Wario around, a Bob-omb partner isn't exactly necessary. How about a Bullet Bill partner who isn't that helpful for battle (well, you can hit anybody, but you always take damage in return so.), but offers a fast travel service outside of it, cutting down on the backtracking that plagues TTYD for some fans in the modern age? And let's not just limit ourselves to Mario enemies here. You could have a Klobber partner that allows you to hide in a barrel, serving as a shield in battle and our answer to Lady Bow/Vivian outside of it. A Crazee Dayzee (who've made many past appearances in Paper Mario, one even being a partner for Luigi already) could sing to soothe enemies in battle or to put on a show outside of it, maybe also serving as a distraction so you can slip by enemies without being spotted.

Sorry that I kinda got carried away, but I think there's real potential here.
The idea of characters like Donkey Kong and Wario joining your party is amazing. I love your idea of DK climbing up vines and Wario breaking walls in the overworld. I especially love your idea of incorporating the DKC and Wario universes in the game as levels and K. Rool trying to destroy the Kongs in DK Isle.

Imagine for Wario's level it's Diamond City and Captain Syrup takes over with her genie. Thought Wario was greedy? Well Captain Syrup is out for everyone's money like she is Diamond City's queen. She kicks Wario's *** out of Diamond City at some point and that's when Wario later on asks Mario for help and joins his party to take back Diamond City from Captain Syrup. Captain Syrup is also working with Rudy the Clown and Black Jewel to round up and control the citizens of Diamond City and Wario's friends.

Now I can also imagine a Subcon level with Wart and the 8-Bits as well as a Sarasaland level with Daisy and Tatanga.

Oh man the possibilties are endless here. I really want this to happen now. A Paper Mario game with this conspect and with the RPG mechanics of the first two games might turn out to be my favorite game of all time.

D

Deleted member

You know this got me thinking, would Paper Mario be a 3D model but look 2D like Game & Watch or would the developers draw him as a sprite?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The idea of characters like Donkey Kong and Wario joining your party is amazing. I love your idea of DK climbing up vines and Wario breaking walls in the overworld. I especially love your idea of incorporating the DKC and Wario universes in the game as levels and K. Rool trying to destroy the Kongs in DK Isle.

Imagine for Wario's level it's Diamond City and Captain Syrup takes over with her genie. Thought Wario was greedy? Well Captain Syrup is out for everyone's money like she is Diamond City's queen. She kicks Wario's *** out of Diamond City at some point and that's when Wario later on asks Mario for help and joins his party to take back Diamond City from Captain Syrup. Captain Syrup is also working with Rudy the Clown and Black Jewel to round up and control the citizens of Diamond City and Wario's friends.

Now I can also imagine a Subcon level with Wart and the 8-Bits as well as a Sarasaland level with Daisy and Tatanga.

Oh man the possibilties are endless here. I really want this to happen now. A Paper Mario game with this conspect and with the RPG mechanics of the first two games might turn out to be my favorite game of all time.
What about a pirate/ocean level with The Shake King and Kingfin (Giant skeleton shark) as bosses?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know this got me thinking, would Paper Mario be a 3D model but look 2D like Game & Watch or would the developers draw him as a sprite?
To this day I can't understand why they made G&W a 3D model, so they'd probably do the same for Paper Mario. Although, if he does stuff like bend, or twirl, they'll probably make him a 3D model of a flat cutout and then work with that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What about a pirate/ocean level with The Shake King and Kingfin (Giant skeleton shark) as bosses?
That would be awesome.

To this day I can't understand why they made G&W a 3D model, so they'd probably do the same for Paper Mario. Although, if he does stuff like bend, or twirl, they'll probably make him a 3D model of a flat cutout and then work with that.
They probably made a 3D model for Game & Watch so he could properly work as a fighter if that makes any sense. It's a 3D side scrolling fighting game after all and you can't just throw a 2D sprite in there like you're developing it in a NES or SNES game it has to have a 3D model.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That would be awesome.

They probably made a 3D model for Game & Watch so he could properly work as a fighter if that makes any sense. It's a 3D side scrolling fighting game after all and you can't just throw a 2D sprite in there like you're developing it in a NES or SNES game it has to have a 3D model.
Well, yes and no, they can just have a flat 3D model with a sprite on, think the food item and the Special Flag. G&W is modeled in 3D and then squished into one plane, for whatever reason.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hey, I can't believe I'm going to post here after nearly 1.5 years of inactivity (mainly cause ssb speculation...got kinda boring and a general...dislike of the site), but this is VERY worth it.

Last January, I played an indie game called Bug Fables on steam which aims to be a paper mario inspired RPG game (mainly the first 2)....but with bugs!

Storepage on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082710/Bug_Fables_The_Everlasting_Sapling/

To say I liked the game is a crime because I didn't liked it, I ****ING LOVED IT, to an insane amount, 325 hours so far, loved more than TTYD which I spent 1500+ hours on. For SB veterans who used to know me, I hope I got your attention because....holy crap, it's my new favorite game of all time, TTYD is now second.

Now, I'll try to make this short because my goal is to spread awareness of the game and I feel this thread is a good place as...I never really forgot my time here, but if you want the full version, feel free to read this 21k words review I made on it (spoiler free for 2 sections, the third one is the spoiler section clearly marked with a huge disclaimer) https://aldelaro5.wordpress.com/202...erknown-masterpiece-with-paper-mario-flavors/

TTYD has 3 things that makes it timeless: the aesthetic (including the appeal of the battle system), the writing and the ost. Since I assume most of you played the game already, this isn't a surprise, I mean it's litterally why the game is so amazing today.

There's however some flaws ttyd has that have NOT aged well. The 3 main ones I will name are the lack of a difficulty scaling system (you get easy and that's IT), the huge presence of backtracking (especially ch4 and ch7) as well as with the exception of the pit, every optional just...sucks (do you remember the recipes, the paper minigames or even worse, the troubles?). About the difficulty scaling part, this one was imo the worst one because it made me less enjoy the game over time, even before I played bug fables.

I am bringing this up because what Bug Fables offers is just insanity for JUST 20 USD. The aesthetic is just a notch below TTYD, but it's so ridiculously close, it's not a big deal. The writting however is AMAZING, as in, it rivalises spm which I considered better than ttyd (to note, the writting is more focus on character development/charm rather than humor). The ost is AT LEAST on par with TTYD, but I am leaning to say I like it MORE. But the best thing this game does is what it did with the TTYD flaws I mentioned.

It's as if they took the flaws of TTYD and made these the best parts of this class of games. I am serious; difficulty scaling? this game gives you a hard mode "badge" (they are called medals here) RIGHT AT THE FREAKING START and it's not a thing in games where you commit to it for the rest of time, it's a FREE TOGGLE, imagine a badge that cost 0 BP! Oh and it ACTUALLY makes the game harder here, no double dip shadiness going on. Backtracking? the game is designed so well it never happens, but they also went the extra miles and put a central hub which you can eventually quick travel to and it allows you to go ANWHERE, it's MIIIILLLLES better than the sewers from TTYD.

As for optionals, I can't spoil here, but what I can say is they are not only INCREDEBLY better than TTYD (you get better sidequests with interesting rewards which you can take multiple at once), but for 20 USD, you will be shocked at how much you are paying for what you get. My first 100% playtrough was a good 69 (nice) hours and I since beat it 4 OTHER times 100% because no spoiler, this game has something to make it INSANELY replayable.

I cannot praise this game enough and the reason I am posting this is because if this is the first time you heard of this game, that's why: it's SEVERLY underknown. I am also posting it here because I assume many of you are paper mario fans and there's no questions: you WILL love this game. I would specifically recommend it if you feel like me with how Nintendo has been handling the series because before you ask, YES it fills the gaping hole Nintendo has left.

If PC isn't your suit though, we recently got a date for consoles such as the switch: it comes out on May 28 so I HIGHLY recommend you check it out (25 usd though cause...reasons) :)

Posting it here as I am sure it's going to interest a few people and hopefully me praising this game will make some people check it :)

zferolie

Smash Hero

Well guys, its happening. That leaked paper mario is true, and it looks pretty good. I dont see partners, but the ganeplay doesnt seem to use any sticker or gimmick stuff, and the story seems darker, and comedy is there.

Edit: screenshots seem to hint at partners coming back

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Looks absolutely amazing! Great to see Paper Mario still going strong, getting those games on every console. The world looks beautiful and the writing seems to remain as golden as ever.

I personally liked Color Splash so I'm not opposed to anything like it, but this looks to be yet another new take on the formula, be that good or bad. At least there looks to be some attack commands, but the battles seem to still have some weird, circle strategy to them. Some pretty generic-looking characters as well, but anyway, I'm beyond hype!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hey everyone. I've not played the Paper Mario games, but I heard there was an announcement for a new game in the series. I hope it's a good one, and maybe even could suggest relevance and thus... a place in Smash? I dunno, but I hope y'all get the new Paper Mario you deserve :)

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It would be crazy if Paper Mario ends up being fighter pass 7. This would be the best possible time for him to join Smash, strike while the iron is hot.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Mark me down as cautiously optimistic. Looks like we have 'story partners' who come with us for parts of the story instead of the old system, but if they're implemented well I don't mind! Battle system also featuring the ol' Jump and Hammer commands looks promising.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
My God we might actually be getting the true successor to Thousand Year Door we have been begging for years for.
I don't know about that. I think this game is going to be doing its own thing rather than be a follow up to CS or TTYD. I do think it will borrow from both but I still think it won't necessarily be like those 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about that. I think this game is going to be doing its own thing rather than be a follow up to CS or TTYD. I do think it will borrow from both but I still think it won't necessarily be like those 2.
As long as it has a good story and the old RPG battle mechanics that is all that matters to me.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Looks like it is really his time!!! Woohoo!
Finally we will have a third Mario to balance out all the Links.

But this one being the most unique of all.

I'm PUMPED! He is ready for battle!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said before, I think there is room for both Paper Mario and Geno to join Smash in the same game. There really isn't competition here since Mario is such a gigantic franchise and can get away with 4 newcomers since Melee got away with 3 Mario newcomers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom