• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hello everyone! It's been quite a while since Smash Bros. speculation has come to our attention. With the newest installment in the series being announced for Nintendo Switch, it's time to revitalize character inclusion discussions. As such, I'm here to gather support for everyone's favorite paper-thin plumber, Paper Mario!

This thread's purpose will be to serve as a gathering spot for anyone who would like to see our Paper Pal make it into the next Smash game as a playable character. Feel free to converse with others about Paper Mario's potential appearance and any other topics related to the series' representation in Smash. Just remember to keep conversations civil.

I also created a Discord server for supporters to join if you'd like to chat more casually with others about whatever you please. Click the link here to join. --> https://discord.gg/93kYmY5 I'll be adding a rules channel among other topic specific channels soon, but for now just keep things civil.

If you'd like to contact me, the best way to do so is through Twitter via @MegaMarioMan9.

If you'd like to join the list of supporters, be sure to comment in this thread, indicating your support for Paper Mario. I'll update the list in this post frequently.

That's all for now! To get things started, let's talk about how you think Paper Mario would function in Smash Bros. Would he use his partners or items in his moveset? Would he take most of his design from the newer entries in the Paper Mario series? How likely is it that he'll make it into the game? I'd like to see some activity, so comment below on your thoughts! Thanks for reading, I'll talk to you all soon.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm reserving this second post for any future things I may need it for. Thanks!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
We believe in you Paper Mario.

That's my way of saying I'm still with him.

Paper Mario is cool, and i've wanted him since I played TTYD wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when.

I support

. . .I really need to buy Color Splash though
:061:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Regardless of my opinion of the series as it stands nowadays, I will always support Paper Mario joining Smash's roster. There's a lot of raw potential for the character and I'd love to see it implemented some day.

I'm going to try my hand at a moveset at some point, with an emphasis on the Copy mechanic from Paper Jam, since I believe that would translate perfectly into Smash Bros.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yes, I'm in. Though I'd be super wary. I really don't want a Paper Mario that is at all Sticker Star or Color Splash based (Though Color Splash was still a great game). A Paper Mario whose special moves involved him flitting out the partner characters from the first two games is definitely the best way

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah I still want it to happen, but with each passing mediocore Paper Mario game I get anxious he'll get a moveset that I don't want him to have...

D

Deleted member

I still view Paper Mario as a viable candidate for a 7th Mario character (or 8th if you count :4drmario:).

There's so many ideas to make him an original moveset it's not funny, without mentioning stages and music tracks too.

Also, unlike some people, I don't think the mixed reception from the latest entries mean much about his chances.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I still view Paper Mario as a viable candidate for a 7th Mario character (or 8th if you count :4drmario:).

There's so many ideas to make him an original moveset it's not funny, without mentioning stages and music tracks too.

Also, unlike some people, I don't think the mixed reception from the latest entries mean much about his chances.
This is not what people are arguing about.

They are arguing about whether they WANT a moveset mostly based around the 2 lattest games.

The games DOES help to get in, the problem is people like me don't want to push for him anymore because in the event he gets in, he wouldn't be the same as I supported before, in fact, all the reasons I wanted him before would be gone.

Like honestly, it's pretty understandable rn.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Realistically, I think if we did get a Paper Mario in Smash, the best route would be to accept that Sticker Star and Color Splash do exist, but to also let Paper Mario be an amalgamation of all his games rather than just the old ones or recent ones.

Let's be honest, a moveset involving pulling partners out of nowhere that haven't been seen in his series for well over a decade isn't going to properly represent him as a character (he's fighter made of Paper and a hammer user, not a summoner like Rosalina or Olimar). Likewise, Nintendo executives certainly won't like the approach with partners either considering it would be completely disregarding SS and CS's relevance to the series nowadays (which is painful to say but no less true for it).

If we have to get SS and CS content regardless, I'd rather do it in a way that distributes the series across the board. For example, out of concept alone:

Neutral Special - Hammer Throw (Paper Mario 64/TTYD)
Side Special - Koopa Shell (Paper Mario 64/TTYD/Sticker Star/Color Splash)
Up Special - Spring Jump (TTYD/Super Paper Mario)
Down Special - Copy Block (Paper Jam)
Final Smash - Fan (Sticker Star/Color Splash)

(You gotta imagine Koopa Shell functioning just like the Koopa partners in the first two games, by the way.)

Point being, just looking at specials alone, it's definitely possible to make a moveset that feels organic to Paper Mario and represents his games across the spectrum. No paint gimmicks, no partners. Just pure, action-command goodness.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Realistically, I think if we did get a Paper Mario in Smash, the best route would be to accept that Sticker Star and Color Splash do exist, but to also let Paper Mario be an amalgamation of all his games rather than just the old ones or recent ones.

Let's be honest, a moveset involving pulling partners out of nowhere that haven't been seen in his series for well over a decade isn't going to properly represent him as a character (he's fighter made of Paper and a hammer user, not a summoner like Rosalina or Olimar). Likewise, Nintendo executives certainly won't like the approach with partners either considering it would be completely disregarding SS and CS's relevance to the series nowadays (which is painful to say but no less true for it).

If we have to get SS and CS content regardless, I'd rather do it in a way that distributes the series across the board. For example, out of concept alone:

Neutral Special - Hammer Throw (Paper Mario 64/TTYD)
Side Special - Koopa Shell (Paper Mario 64/TTYD/Sticker Star/Color Splash)
Up Special - Spring Jump (TTYD/Super Paper Mario)
Down Special - Copy Block (Paper Jam)
Final Smash - Fan (Sticker Star/Color Splash)

(You gotta imagine Koopa Shell functioning just like the Koopa partners in the first two games, by the way.)

Point being, just looking at specials alone, it's definitely possible to make a moveset that feels organic to Paper Mario and represents his games across the spectrum. No paint gimmicks, no partners. Just pure, action-command goodness.
This.

I dislike the recent games, but I can't let that hold back my desire for Paper Mario in Smash.

So I'm all for him if this is the only way.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
In regard to everyone's comments about Paper Mario's moveset, I'd have to agree and say that having a moveset designed around partners is sort of unrealistic at this point. At the very least, it's very likely that elements of the first 3 games will be implemented in his moveset. I like God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin 's idea of using essentially Koops/Kooper's ability disguised as a generic Koopa shell. It's a good way to reference the partner abilities through a more simplified moveset. And of course, no matter what happens he'll always have his hammer present in his moveset. I hope that they'd take the unique hammer badges from 64 and TTYD, namely Hammer Throw and Quake Hammer, because they'd add more diversity to his moveset. It would be lame if they just gave him a generic forward swing, upward swing, etc. The best we can hope for is for them to take the best elements from each game and make something unique out of his moveset.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
It's been a while since I've been on smashboards but the first thing I'll do upon returning is support my boy, Paper Mario!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I will support him till the end!

*Music that represents a light at the end of the dark, cold tunnel*

But please, not a sticker/paint card moveset! PLEASE!

I really prefer using some badges moveset! Like Fire Drive from TTYD

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Even now, I still love the idea of him being playable in a Smash game. He'll pretty much always have my support. There's always hope! :)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Great news! We have a celebrity endorsement from NintendoCapriSun, who just started his let's play of Paper Mario.
Now this I need to see.

Too bad I've got Breath of the Wild to play.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Still haven't played any of the game's, but I'm familiar enough with TTYD and SPM via playthroughs by chugga and lucahjin to know that I really want Paper Mario to make it in someday. I support Daisy and Waluigi as well, so there's a bit of conflicting interests going on there, but among the 3, I feel like Paper Mario does have the best shot.

On top of that, whose to say we don't get multiple Mario characters? We got 3 in Melee and 3 again in Smash 4 after all (Yes I'm counting Doc twice here. He debuted in Melee, but was cut afterward, so we technically got another 3 in Smash 4. It just so happens that one of them was a returning veteran). Though they could also go the Brawl route and add none when the next Smash comes around...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm not even joking the other day I had a dream that Paper Mario and Paper Bowser were in Smash XDDDD.
So maybe Paper Mario will be in.

But alas I don't support any Mario characters soz but good luck.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hello, long time Flavio fans, and welcome back to the Flavio support thread! It's been a long time coming, and it's finally time to unveil my special present to you all. I have created a set of alternate costumes for our favorite character in the entire Mario series,
FLAVIO

As you can see, I took some creative liberties with his alternate colors, and I based him off of other characters within the Paper Mario series. The first new alt I created was based on Paper Mario himself. Since I can't really see him making it into the game as his own character, I thought it would be best to implement him into Flavio's alternate costumes. Bobbery and Cortez I figured were very important characters in the chapter Flavio made an appearance in TTYD, so it would be nice to base some of his alts on them. Grodus and Princess Peach are integral characters to Paper Mario TTYD's story, so they were also very fit for this role. It took some time to design the Chuckola Cola alt for Flavio, but I think the result looks fantastic and very original! As for the last skin, I figured it would be appropriate to include an edgy skin now that at least half the cast of SSB4 has one as well.

One last thing I wanted to mention is that Nintendo revealed on their Twitter account that a brand new game is in the works. Are you ready for how much hype you're about to have injected into your bloodstream?

That's right, the next game in the Paper Flavio series is finally coming: Paper Flavio 5: Flavio and Flavio alone. I really like how they included Flavio's name in the title not once, not twice, but THREE times! It really accentuates his importance. I can't wait to see the changes they've included to the formula, this time they'll get it right for sure!

Let me know how much you guys support Flavio in the comments, I hope to see more activity here now that this game has been announced. See you all soon!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Flavio is the best bean husband.

Sorry Fawful and Peasely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just about think Nintendo has abandoned all of the stuff that made Paper Mario good, then they include that one segment on the 3DS stage. Why must you torment me so?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Can I still support Paper Mario? Of course I will, his games were an important part of my childhood!

I like him so much, I made a mockup of what his SSB4 character UI would have looked like.

PaperMario-character-ui.png

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I absolutely adore the Mario RPG games (well, most of them... ...) and I think Paper Mario would definitely be the best shot at representing them. So go ahead and throw me on that supporter list!

And, while I know Sticker Star is not that well received (and deservedly so, though I'm more neutral on the game than most, there are some things about it I do genuinely like), I do think his moveset could use a solid mixture of stickers, badges, and partners. I could easily see stickers like the Slaphammer being used for his down-smash, the hammer throw badge being his up-smash, maybe the zap tap badge as a sort of interesting take on a counter, and his various partners for his specials. (Another thought I've had is if he had a move like Mr. G&W's Judge, where he randomly uses a certain hammer, whether it's a pitiful dusty hammer, a baahammer, or the almighty Ultra Hammer. It would fit since y'know, they'd both be the flat characters!)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As Nintendo's flagship series, quite frankly no amount of Mario representatives is too many.

I've only played Paper Mario 64. However, after playing the game, I immediately saw how Paper Mario would be unique. That said, if we do get a new Mario character, Paper Mario's whom I'm rooting for. I think his moveset should be less about magick and party members, and more about paper transformations. Obviously, his neutral special would be the hammer.

In mine opinion, the fact that we got a Paper Mario stage for Smash 3DS says something. Ergo, if Paper Mario: Colour Splash gets ported to the Switch (which I hope), I'd say his chances are pretty high.

Last edited:

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
As Nintendo's flagship series, quite frankly no amount of Mario representatives is too many.

I've only played Paper Mario 64. However, after playing the game, I immediately saw how Paper Mario would be unique. That said, if we do get a new Mario character, Paper Mario's whom I'm rooting for. I think his moveset should be less about magick and party members, and more about paper transformations. Obviously, his neutral special would be the hammer.

In mine opinion, the fact that we got a Paper Mario stage for Smash 3DS says something. Ergo, if Paper Mario: Colour Splash gets ported to the Switch (which I hope), I'd say his chances are pretty high.
I don't know, I mean, his partners were a huge part of the first two games, or three if you count the Pixls in Super Paper Mario. He also doesn't have all that many paper transformations- mainly turning into an airplane, tube, and boat. I would say the best stuff to focus on would be his variety of hammer and jumping moves, and then his partners for his specials. I guess similar to Link and how his sword is his main focus for his standard moves, while his items are the main focus of his special moves.

oh paper mario fans i think you would love this
i have no idea why my mind told me to make a 3D model of Mimi from super paper mario this day but i ended up doing it and its 80% done.
Ahh, how cute!

Anyway, I've uh, spent some decent amount of time working on how I'd want to see his moveset work... because I'm a big old nerd :cry: Do people still like reading those? Cuz I'm almost done with this one and I think it's a good culmination of everything Paper Mario does.

Edit: Currently a bit incomplete, lacking details on stuff like idle animations, victories, taunts, custom moves, etc. but pretty much all of the necessities are there! So well, here you go.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
This thread's been getting a good deal of traffic this past week, and I'm glad to see it! I think now would be a good time to remind everybody that I made a Discord server for everyone to chat freely in. I urge everyone to join; it's easy to make an account and it's a great way to talk with other fans. So, you can find it here if you're interested. https://discord.gg/93kYmY5

In recent news, I've got a treat to show everyone. Someone made a mod for the original Paper Mario for the N64 that makes the game more difficult for experienced players, titled Paper Mario: Pro Mode!

I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, but it looks extremely promising and I'm excited to delve into it soon. Now that I have that out of the way, a couple replies.

oh paper mario fans i think you would love this
i have no idea why my mind told me to make a 3D model of Mimi from super paper mario this day but i ended up doing it and its 80% done.
This looks very nice! It's pretty accurate to the original character and I'm interested to see how the fully completed version looks. Just a quick question for you, would you like to be added to the supporters list? I can do that real quick if you're interested. Regardless, thanks for the art!

Anyway, I've uh, spent some decent amount of time working on how I'd want to see his moveset work... because I'm a big old nerd :cry: Do people still like reading those? Cuz I'm almost done with this one and I think it's a good culmination of everything Paper Mario does.

Edit: Currently a bit incomplete, lacking details on stuff like idle animations, victories, taunts, custom moves, etc. but pretty much all of the necessities are there! So well, here you go.
Ooh, I really like some of the ideas you have in here. While I feel like it puts maybe a liiiittle too much focus on Sticker Star for the moveset, I can't say it's an unrealistic outcome if he were to become a character. :p There's a few moves in particular that stand out to me and that I quite like the idea of. I usually default to a Power Smash for the f-smash, but the spin hammer feels like it would be more unique, especially if it were multi-hit like you suggested. Your up-air idea where he swims upward like his animation in Paper Jam is ingenious, as it could easily work as a recovery move or a useful dodge-then-counterattack move. I just like the idea of seeing him doing that mid-battle, would be a silly addition to his moveset. Finally, your Vivian down-special idea is interesting as well. Not quite sure what uses it could have, perhaps it would be better if it dealt damage as you reappeared in whichever direction you tapped. Thank you for the moveset though, it was nice having one to read after so long!

So yeah, I'm happy to see some more incoming supporters. I do hope that we get the chance to see Paper Mario make it into the fray someday, but for now, have a good one everybody. Hope to see some of you in the Discord server. ;)

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Ooh, I really like some of the ideas you have in here. While I feel like it puts maybe a liiiittle too much focus on Sticker Star for the moveset, I can't say it's an unrealistic outcome if he were to become a character. :p There's a few moves in particular that stand out to me and that I quite like the idea of. I usually default to a Power Smash for the f-smash, but the spin hammer feels like it would be more unique, especially if it were multi-hit like you suggested. Your up-air idea where he swims upward like his animation in Paper Jam is ingenious, as it could easily work as a recovery move or a useful dodge-then-counterattack move. I just like the idea of seeing him doing that mid-battle, would be a silly addition to his moveset. Finally, your Vivian down-special idea is interesting as well. Not quite sure what uses it could have, perhaps it would be better if it dealt damage as you reappeared in whichever direction you tapped. Thank you for the moveset though, it was nice having one to read after so long!

So yeah, I'm happy to see some more incoming supporters. I do hope that we get the chance to see Paper Mario make it into the fray someday, but for now, have a good one everybody. Hope to see some of you in the Discord server. ;)
Yeah, Sticker Star isn't really that good of a game... but I think some of the ideas they had going for it were really neat- I actually like the sticker system for the most part. And a lot of the stickers do really neat things, so I figured even if they're from a bad game, as long as they work really well for the character and their moveset, there shouldn't be any issue there. Especially since I don't think the stickers themselves were the problem with the game, it was more the lack of story and personality to the game. Anyway, admittedly I wished I'd used Pixls a lot more, but I couldn't really find room for them and I wanted the specials to be exclusively partners from the first two games. I had considered using Barry, Carrie, and Fleep at one point. Anyway, as for Vivian's special, I sort of viewed it as a reverse Dimensional Cape- acting as a counter that lets you retreat in a direction afterward, with its weakness being that it can't be used in the air. I can probably rewrite it to be more clear. ;)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would focus solely on his first two games.

Down B to switch out partners. Total of three. This changes his other B moves.

His crawl could be a rolled tube of paper. His neutral aerial could turn him into a plane for a descending glide. A press of "A" turns him back into Paper Mario.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd've put plane as neutral B, since it's almost a projectile. Side B would be a vaguely Ice Climbers style hammer spin, which could be charged to become the version where he twists up for extra power. Up B would be something that results in him falling over in mid air and allows him to float like a sheet of paper just like in his prison escape in Paper Mario 64.

Down B I'm less certain on but it could easily be the rolled up paper and work like a more controllable Rollout if people really wanted. Rolling up for crouch and crawl would seem more sensible but detract from the "all specials are paper" thing I have going on.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This looks very nice! It's pretty accurate to the original character and I'm interested to see how the fully completed version looks. Just a quick question for you, would you like to be added to the supporters list? I can do that real quick if you're interested. Regardless, thanks for the art!
well i DO want a Paper Mario rep however i prefer other characters from that series over Paper Mario to be in smash
also done modeling Mimi

few more renders

Mimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimi

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Made a couple updates to my moveset- replaced his Jab with his standard hammer move with his copies in Paper Jam, and changed his Down Tilt to be him pulling up Bowser Tape off the floor. I added in some more pixls for his animations- Carrie appears for his second jump as a reason why he can do a second jump, and Slim appears whenever he goes sideways to do a shield dodge, and also just added in more animations in general, including taunts.

Again, I know that people generally tend to favor stuff from the first two PM games (and I don't blame them, those really are the two masterpieces of the series), but my issue is that it felt difficult to just use stuff from the first two games and not have to BS some stuff, in the same manner that uh, the team kind of had to get a bit, uh... creative... with Pac-Man's moves. I am opposed to Sticker Star's bad storytelling, structure, and just generally uncreative environments, but I'm not going to omit stuff from it when there are stickers that let him do some pretty neat stuff.

I would focus solely on his first two games.

Down B to switch out partners. Total of three. This changes his other B moves.

His crawl could be a rolled tube of paper. His neutral aerial could turn him into a plane for a descending glide. A press of "A" turns him back into Paper Mario.
Okay, so the idea of switching out partners is really cool and totally fits in with the source material! But its seem kind of convoluted, like it would just be too much to keep up with? (not to mention all the work that'd have to go into it, whew) What I like about Smash is that characters are generally kept simplified- easy to learn, difficult to master usually- and I feel like this would go against that philosophy. Plus if custom moves are gonna continue being a thing, oh lordie.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I feel like he would make a good addition to the roster, however, in terms of Mario characters, I think other characters have more priority over him. Still supporting though for sure!

Also, I'd like to think his moveset would be based on all games rather than just newer ones or older ones.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Okay, so the idea of switching out partners is really cool and totally fits in with the source material! But its seem kind of convoluted, like it would just be too much to keep up with? (not to mention all the work that'd have to go into it, whew) What I like about Smash is that characters are generally kept simplified- easy to learn, difficult to master usually- and I feel like this would go against that philosophy. Plus if custom moves are gonna continue being a thing, oh lordie.
Simplified: Down B rotates between three characters. Gombella, Koops, Admiral Bobbery for example.

This changes the B special and one Smash move.

That leaves side and up specials for paper transformations like the Paper Airplane and perhaps spring.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Guys, remember: badge moves are a big part of the first two Paper Mario games. I think His final Smash should be a Charged Power Bounce :secretkpop:

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I support. I totally forgot about this character. Paper Mario is my next want for a newcomer of the same franchise.

Honestly the next logical rep. I don't get it.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Those renders are amazing. I'd love to play Mimi or have her as a boss. Anything from the first three games is welcome. I support Paper Mario and Mimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimi!
well i DO want a Paper Mario rep however i prefer other characters from that series over Paper Mario to be in smash
also done modeling Mimi

few more renders

Mimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimimi

Top Bottom