• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panda's Discoveries! (New AT, Auto-RAR, and C-stick Neutrals) UPDATE: NAME DECIDED!

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I tried this myself, and me being a Lucas main, this has proved very useful...
...I tried replacing B with jump...
...i found something else out with B being another jump button. You can do a shorthop aerial (with the exception of up-air) just by sliding your finger from B to A as quick as you can...
Why not just do that with X or Y?

You can charge your B attacks by hitting the b-stick then holding B. Your config completely kills PK freeze, which I would consider a pretty useful move. Just giving you a heads up. =P

infernovia

Smash Ace
Wait, isn't this b sticking thing basically doing that whole if you press b when you are approaching with a hop, you can reverse your direction (without turning around) instantaneously? Or does B sticking give a lot more options as to what you can do?

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Why not just do that with X or Y?
It is because you need to achieve the input with great speed. Most people would not be able to do it with A being attack and x or y being jump, unless you have Z set to attack too. But you seemed to have missed the point.
"The point here is not even close to how convenient it might be, its just that you can press a button in the fashion of a full hop and still be able to shorthop-aerial"

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
this looks very interesting and useful. probably wouldn't be as useful with my characters but i can definitely see how DI'ing an over b with Lucas would be useful. auto-rar definitely looks like something every character can use and would maximize there play, but at the cost of being able to DI aerials is it worth it?

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
"The new AT"

It says use the C-stick, I've done it without remapping my control's at all, whats the benefit of reconfiguring?

Mama

Smash Ace
"The new AT"

It says use the C-stick, I've done it without remapping my control's at all, whats the benefit of reconfiguring?
Its called being frame perfect. I can do it without remapping my controls too. But its better to keep your hands free. Not to mention doing it manually yields a less profound result. On top of that doing RARs with this set up is a lot easier. I don't use it. But I probably will once I start playing Ness or Lucas.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
This works really well with Toon Link and Link's boomerang and arrows.

Great discovery Panda

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
sorry if this sounds noob, but how do you do this with the up and down specials?

i understand side and neutral, but how do you do up and down specials and get the backwards momentum?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
sorry if this sounds noob, but how do you do this with the up and down specials?

i understand side and neutral, but how do you do up and down specials and get the backwards momentum?
Diagonal and smash the stick. It seems it only detects a neutral if I diagonal and press it just a bit.

SilverSix311

Smash Cadet
Ganadorf Owns with this!!

I looked at this thread and decided to try out the technique. It is crazy for Ganondorf!!!! You run and <-Cstick special and then do your FAIR attack and BAM knocks the competition out of your way. Its a good tactic when running away to slam someone in the face. Also works well with Olimars pikman throws to avoid being hit and to rack up damage. Good find guys!! I'm truly greatful!!!

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
sweet mercy this sounds good for certain characters. ZSS has very few uses for quick smashes but a need for good special control. I had a tough time getting used to ZSS but this is something I gotta try now

also someone mentioned charizard's use for this, could lead to easier aerial KOs for him and ZSS

has anyone tried this with samus?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Its called being frame perfect. I can do it without remapping my controls too. But its better to keep your hands free. Not to mention doing it manually yields a less profound result. On top of that doing RARs with this set up is a lot easier. I don't use it. But I probably will once I start playing Ness or Lucas.
I know I saw a post a few days ago detailing how to do this without remapping...anyone have it?

saratos

Smash Apprentice
I have been able to do it with pikachu's vb.. It takes a weird shift of the joystick to do it normally. Pikachu turns around instead of shifting backwards,though.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
It's just weird with Sonic. When I do his side B, he begins to charge it, and then immediately goes into his second jump. With down B, he falls back to earth along a curved path in his ball form. He lands with little lag, though. The auto-RAR, however, seems like a God-send , considering that Sonic's Bair is one of his stronger moves. And Peach? Well, personally, I've found spamming side B a bit easier, along with chaining it into a float. Auto-RAR is the same situation as with Sonic. Good stuff, Panda.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I noticed something interesting. I decided to try this b-sticking with Ike in training, and of course it is amazing(recoil Quick Draw reminds me of Slayer from Guilty Gear, and Auto RAR owns). I then wanted to see if I could make any height difference by making Z attack so that I don't have to move my thumb off the C stick. I couldn't see a difference, so I decided to change the training time to 1/4. I notice that Auto RAR DOESN'T work with Ike at 1/4 speed or 1/2 speed, because he just jumps and doesn't turn around. It will work however for 2/3 speed or higher. Just thought it was strange. I call it Fork's broken b-stick.

Just kidding lol, naming techs after yourself is lame(though Panda-sticking sounded awesome) and it isn't even a tech, it is just a peculiar occurance.
Anyway I want to go play with toon link and lucas. Sounds like b-sticking helps those two the most so I'll end my post there.

Niblet

Smash Cadet
I can get behind the b-sticking. However, I prefer wavebouncing to recoil special. Recoil special sounds very bland. Saying wavebouncing feels better. Not all Techs HAVE to be named technically. I'll continue saying wavebouncing, but will acknowledge the actual name.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is hard to do with Marth.

But he doesn't need B-Sticking to do this trick luckily.

Vook

Smash Rookie
This is very amazing. I'm trying it out and it looks like this will be very useful. This move works very well with toon links RAR. With this you can do it some much easier.

Great

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I may have to experiment with this.

I've used z for neutral aerials for a while, but I've always been fond of using the c stick for aerials because of how I wouldn't accidentally fast fall to my death.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Interesting finds Panda.

btw, did you decide on a main? After listening to SMYN for a while, I'm just a bit curious.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Few things I'd like to comment on.

Losing C-stick smashing isn't so much of a big deal to me as losing C-stick areals. Characters with sweet spot air attacks (Captain Falcon, Zelda, etc) have a much easier time connecting the attacks if they're in complete control of their DI. Meaning that the option is there to DI away from an opponent while sticking them with a forward-air. Also, you can use up-air attacks quicker after jumping with the C-stick (several of which are quick enough to laglessly short-hop down-fall) ... another loss if it's assigned to special attacks.

The inconsistency with neutral attacks means that for other characters, it just doesn't make sense. Pikachu, for instance. B-sticking his specials just isn't worth it, not to mention his back-air is nothing special. It'd awesome pushing yourself back with his neutral-B, but it's too bad that you can't count on it.

I know I'll be keeping two separate control schemes from now on.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I have my main in the icon below my name. Yes, I main random. God tier FTW

And if people don't like the name "recoil special" how about just using "bouncing"? Wavebouncing is not only misleading, but an absolutely ridiculous name for the AT.

Mizar

Smash Ace
He panda, good to see that im not the only one that doesnt decide his main in 2 weeks lol.

Anyway, I would go for ''recoil special'' which can also be ''Coil Spec'' or something like that.
Shortening it like that may add some ''coolness'' for the people that care for what a technique is being called.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
Wavebouncing originated from 019 (zero nineteen) on YouTube finding out that you can get shoved back slightly when using the C-stick for special attacks.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
I think that a guy already discovered that AT with marth. He tough it could be just a mindgame move.

Example: Rush backwards , shorthop , B , then in the few first frames of the atack, smash oposite direction , marth will cancel all backwards momentun and will move in the oposite direction while stabing.

GofG

Smash Champion
I'm intrigued as to why you are against the name "Wavebounce". It accurately describes what is happening. We can't call it b-sticking because there are ways of accomplishing it without changing your c-stick to specials. Also, its easy to include a "WB" in long acronyms, i.e., SHPKFWB, which is the pillar upon which Lucas bases his game. SHPKFB-STICK doesn't work as well.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Wavebounce just sounds ridiculous, and ultimately comes across as people clinging to wavedashing for whatever reason. Personally, when I see a b-sticked aerial, the last two things I think of are waves and bouncing respectively. It's like DI induced by your move rather than a reaction to getting hit more than anything...

Sanguimancer

Smash Apprentice
I figured it out, i set jump to L so its easier.
What exactly was the problem, I'm having the same issue. Whenever I press the C-Stick in the opposite direction i just turn around and do my special. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong.

Also, the auto-rar is really nice and as a Lucas main these two techniques seem really great.

Edit* Oh, I just got it, the c-stick and jump have to be pressed at the same time. That didn't really come across in the original post, you should probably clarify that part.

Wavebouncing is a horrible name, please don't use it.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Guess I add this here as well. This my guide on b sticking/wavebounce with ZSS. But I do explain how to do the b sticking without setting your c stick to special and how to do it with c stick. I believe the true experts will do this technique without changing the c stick an nail it to perfection.(i.e. keeping the c stick to smash as well as wavebouncing/b sticking)

Particularly Side B b sticking is not too hard without setting c stick to special. UP B b sticking without setting c stick to special is tough but it is explained in my guide.

I've seen harder techniques then this in other games yet the experts still nail it to perfection.(Check out the Japanese experts on various other games including this game)
I think this technique is most useful on ZSS and Lucas. I explained the usefulness of it for her in my guide.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154740&page=2

As always, thx again SamuraiPanda for discovery.

Top Bottom