• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panda Global Launches Ultimate Gamecube Adapter Kickstarter

pg_adapter.jpg

After several early teasers, Panda Global has launched a Kickstarter campaign for the Ultimate Gamecube Adapter, a Gamecube controller adapter for the Nintendo Switch developed in collaboration with GearHawk Studio. Designed specifically for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the adapter plugs in directly to the Switch's USB-C port and has a built-in stand for the console, giving players the option to use it even on the go.

Unlike most third-party docks, the adapter does not run the risk of bricking the Switch, at least according to GearHawk Studios. According to their official website, the adapter does not require an external power source, instead drawing power from the Switch itself. The adapter can be used as a USB pass-through for a charging cable, acting as if the Switch were directly connected to a charging cable. The adapter also features a built-in USB port for connecting a USB controller or an ethernet adapter, the latter of which will come packaged with the device.

The Kickstarter page also outlines some details about production for the device - currently, GearHawk is using 3D-printed enclosures and is assembling circuit boards by hand for prototypes, though the final product will be mass-produced by a third-party manufacturer.

The campaign began on January 16th, 2019 will run until mid-February. The initial fundraising goal of $55,000 has already been surpassed, though there is currently a stretch goal to raise funds to produce a model with an adjustable viewing angle.

Scribe

Comments

Can’t you already use the preexisting GameCube adapter for the switch? What is the point of this?
You can dock the Switch directly on top of this thing. Otherwise, if you want to use GC controllers in tabletop mode, you need to daisy-chain a bunch of dongles together. For instance, I bring my Switch to work often, and my setup is Switch --> Charging Stand --> USB A-to-C Adapter --> USB Hub --> GC Adapter --> GC Controllers. This device collapses 4 accessories into 1. That being said, I probably won't pick this up since I already need to carry around a bag for all the controllers, so it wouldn't be much of a space saver for me.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that this could brick my console. I'm sticking to official licensed products. I have to stick to my Pro Controllers when I play On the go, just for practicality.

Very cool product I will probably end up buying one. However if you guys are looking for a easy to use GameCube adapter for on the go I'd recommend the 8-Bit Do Bluetooth adapter. It only allows one controller and is powered by batteries that aren't included. It has no input lag any worse than a pro controller to my knowledge and has a good life on just two batteries. Plus it's only 20 dollars and allows new or old generation GameCube controllers. #notsponsered

Last edited:
I ended up spending $49.99 Canadian for this:
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Nintend...t=&hvlocphy=9012105&hvtargid=pla-569210988653

Stand that allows up to 4 USB ports so you can plug both rumble and standard usb from the gcn controller adapter into it as well as charge the switch and up to two pro controllers or usb ethernet connector if you'd like to. It works great with as far as I can tell no input lag, but the downfall in my opinion was the price. This adapter looks a lot more optimal (and affordable) though and I like how it still has usb slots available.

HUh, who wants to play with that small screen. Just buy an adapter for gamecube and connect it via usb and play on tv.
"giving players the option to use it even on the go."

HUh, this is designed for players who mostly use the console in portable mode, there are people who can't or simply don't want to use the console on tv

This is freaking brilliant! I’m always lamenting the fact that I can’t play smash in any room outside the living room cuz that’s where the dock is hooked up (and playing smash on the joycons is the most miserable experience on planet earth)

It seems people still aren't understanding the point of the switch . . . I for example play mostly on the tv, but when I visit family or friends I like to be able to set my switch up tabletop mode and play two-player. One friend asked me "why don't you just bring your dock?" which imo defeats the purposes of the switch's mobility AND you don't always have access to a television. Sure someone else might say well why don't I just use my pro controllers or a wireless gcn controller but the original gcn controllers with no input lag just feels right to my friends and I.

It seems people still aren't understanding the point of the switch . . . I for example play mostly on the tv, but when I visit family or friends I like to be able to set my switch up tabletop mode and play two-player. One friend asked me "why don't you just bring your dock?" which imo defeats the purposes of the switch's mobility AND you don't always have access to a television. Sure someone else might say well why don't I just use my pro controllers or a wireless gcn controller but the original gcn controllers with no input lag just feels right to my friends and I.
I don’t actually like the GameCube controller so.... not for me I guess.

I don’t actually like the GameCube controller so.... not for me I guess.
Lol! I know what you mean. I still have the adapter, though, because everyone I know prefers GC controllers. I personally use a DualShock 4, but my favorite controller for Smash was always the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Whelp to each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . . . There is technically no wrong way to play and almost every controller is compatible; my main point is that there is a purpose to these type of devices and many people (including everybody I know above the age of 13) are committed to the gcn controller. So yes - these types of devices would be rendered useless to a group of people whom prefer not to use gcn controllers.

Lol! I know what you mean. I still have the adapter, though, because everyone I know prefers GC controllers. I personally use a DualShock 4, but my favorite controller for Smash was always the Wii Classic Controller Pro.
I learned to play Smash on the 3DS and Wii U gamepad. If it’s got that layout I’m good!

Top Bottom