• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's strange new render change

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In Smash 4, the CERO censorship, (documented by Source Gaming at https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/18/cero-and-palutenas-censorship/) was designed to limit the exposure of Palutena's skin on her right leg. The censorship raised the length of Palutena's stocking and lowered her skirt to completely cover her leg. However, in SSBU, it appears that this no longer is in effect, as Palutena's render now clearly shows her upper thigh of her right leg exposed.

I noticed this first when I saw the thumbnail image of the Thunder Cloud Temple [OG] and Destroyed Skyworld [Old Remix] from Crunchii Music Extentions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xySHU38R26w&list=PLV9ZrDQVqbTVVlm73iVqprXLLR4c0l97v&index=60 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdhFLadr3A&list=PLV9ZrDQVqbTVVlm73iVqprXLLR4c0l97v&index=61)

I thought this was interesting, since originally Sakurai had expressed his frustration toward the censorship, saying it was overreactive and unnecessary. Now it appears that Sakurai and the team were able to bring back her original render and still maintain an E 10+ rating.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
She is supposed to be a goddess but she shows her ass and pole dances. Classy. I wonder if she will get moves that involve her undressing herself like Bayonetta has.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Hopefully they didn't cause any trouble for him this time, it's such a dumb idea that short shorts are too provocative for children. If anything, children would just find it funny to pause the screen and look up her skirt. To which they wouldn't have even found anything anyway...

She is supposed to be a goddess but she shows her *** and pole dances. Classy. I wonder if she will get moves that involve her undressing herself like Bayonetta has.
if this was a joke: jokes are supposed to be funny

if it's not a joke: go work for CERO where showing 3 inches of thigh is considered "showing her ***"

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
It still looks censored to me. This is how Palutena was originally designed (well, post-NES Palutena, anyway):

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...naBrawl.png/revision/latest?cb=20120627193953

This design carried over to Kid Icarus Uprising:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...prising.png/revision/latest?cb=20140610210106

And here she is in Smash Wii U (prior to censoring in the JPN version):

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/4/4b/Palutena_SSB4.png

In all cases, her dress slit goes all the way up to her hip, and that large red jewel. The censored version of SSB4 Palutena, and Smash Ultimate Palutena, have the upper part of her dress sewn together above her leg, like so:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net..._render.png/revision/latest?cb=20180612191618

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
She is supposed to be a goddess but she shows her *** and pole dances. Classy. I wonder if she will get moves that involve her undressing herself like Bayonetta has.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Let's be honest no one mains Palutena for her moveset, it's all about the looks

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t main her at all...though I play her for the personality and looks...and also the customs that will be gone

Augi

Smash Cadet
Can confirm. I'm maining Palutena strictly because she's top tier waifu.

And I WILL be good with my waifu!

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I legitimately play her gor the K Rool matchup, may also try her against Belmonts. Her K Rool match-up is extremely good in my experience, just as good as the Star Fox characters have it against him, but easier to play overall.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I legitimately play her gor the K Rool matchup, may also try her against Belmonts. Her K Rool match-up is extremely good in my experience, just as good as the Star Fox characters have it against him, but easier to play overall.
What's your strategy against K Rool with her?
I can space OK with her tilts, reflect the Crown while he can't reflect EF or AR back at me, but her dash attack intangibility still loses to his dash's super armor, and can't really find any kill confirms since he's the 2nd heaviest and Palutena doesn't hit hard enough.
I seem to have better luck with Zelda who has more KO options but is slower.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
What's your strategy against K Rool with her?
I can space OK with her tilts, reflect the Crown while he can't reflect EF or AR back at me, but her dash attack intangibility still loses to his dash's super armor, and can't really find any kill confirms since he's the 2nd heaviest and Palutena doesn't hit hard enough.
I seem to have better luck with Zelda who has more KO options but is slower.
Zelda also works very well against him, yeah. Multihit moves in general seem to be the key to cheese him out. With Palutena, believe it or not, I just try to win neutral until he dies to an up-air of all things. Usually works out im my favor. His insane recovery is susceptible to autoreticle offstage, though. If you can throw off his aim even once or twice with autoreticle, he'll usually be forced to miss the ledge, which is generally a free kill. On stages with platforms, he had a big enough hurtbox that even Palutena's up tilt can shark hik from below, so he should basically always be above you, or about a third to one half of the stage away from you thanks to tilts and specials. It's a pretty sweet gig, really.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Zelda also works very well against him, yeah. Multihit moves in general seem to be the key to cheese him out. With Palutena, believe it or not, I just try to win neutral until he dies to an up-air of all things. Usually works out im my favor. His insane recovery is susceptible to autoreticle offstage, though. If you can throw off his aim even once or twice with autoreticle, he'll usually be forced to miss the ledge, which is generally a free kill. On stages with platforms, he had a big enough hurtbox that even Palutena's up tilt can shark hik from below, so he should basically always be above you, or about a third to one half of the stage away from you thanks to tilts and specials. It's a pretty sweet gig, really.
She also works well against projectile spammers like all 3 Links and the Belmonts. I saw ZeRo playing her and that's when I started to play her. Easily one of my favorite characters to play in this game. Also who cares about her censorship? CERO will just have to get over it and move on.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
She also works well against projectile spammers like all 3 Links and the Belmonts. I saw ZeRo playing her and that's when I started to play her. Easily one of my favorite characters to play in this game. Also who cares about her censorship? CERO will just have to get over it and move on.
I didn't know Zero was playing her, that's pretty dope, dude. Yeah in general, she's been my go-to zone breaker, along with Wolf/Fox/Falco depending on my perceived match-ups. Very fun to use

Top Bottom