• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's Guidance Conversations / Snake's Codec Conversations: Could they return?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a new mechanic was introduced: "Snake's Codec" conversations. This activated when using Solid Snake's taunt whilst playing on the Shadow Moses Island stage. This conversation system involved Solid Snake communicating with his allies from the Meta Gear series (Otacon, Mei Ling, and Colonel Campbell), and these allies would give him information about fighters he's playing against, sometimes including Easter Eggs, history, and trivia about them. In Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, there was an indirect successor to this conversation, named the "Palutena's Guidance". With Palutena's Guidance, it was activated by playing as Pit, and Pit using a taunt on the Palutena's Temple stage. The conversations were between Pit, the Goddess of Light - Palutena (who is playable in the game), Goddess of Nature - Viridi, and special guest for one particular conversation, Chrom (from the Fire Emblem series).

With Ridley confirmed as a playable character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and with the return of Solid Snake, Shadow Moses Island, and Palutena's Temple, could we see a return of the conversation mechanic? Would we get Snake's Codec conversations? Or Palutena's Guidance conversations? Or even both?! Here are examples of possible conversations that I came up with. Bear in mind that these are pretty old (created in 2015):

Snake Codec conversation
Snake: This thing is looking at me funny. I’m sensing a bad aura and a thirst for blood from it.
Otacon: Wait, Snake... Is that... You’re facing Ridley?!
Snake: Is that its name?
Otacon: Snake, you don’t realise just how much trouble you’re in for right now!
Snake: Why’s that?
Otacon: Ridley is a VERY dangerous enemy. He is a veteran in battle, a brilliant tactician, and very intelligent. Between the fire balls, claws, health regeneration, camouflage ability, and the skill to build a robotic version of himself... he’s not someone you should mess with!
Snake: Otacon, I’ve battled against countless unique characters in my career. I think I can handle myself against another one.
Otacon: Normally I would agree with you, but not for this guy. STAY AWAY FROM HIM.
Snake: It’s too late now. I’d rather fight and fall with honour, than flee and end up regretting it.
Otacon: You cannot be serious...

Palutena's Guidance conversation
(Involves Hades)
Pit: This thing looks scary...
Hades: What’s the matter, Pitty? You scared?
Pit: Well, wouldn’t you be if some big purple monster was looking at you with murderous intent?
Hades: Big, purple monster? My boy, you happen to be up against Ridley.
Pit: Ridley? Wait, THAT thing?! Samus mentioned about him before on our last adventure. Something about... killing her parents?!
Hades: Yes, but he’s more than that, Pitty. He’s so evil, that even I’M envious of him, and I’m the Lord of the Underworld! The things he has done... I should be taking notes!
Pit: What is WRONG with you?! He killed Samus’ parents, and her entire colony, in cold blood! She was only a child at the time! He has also killed countless people on other planets! He’s a murderer!
Hades: Exactly! Ridley just knows how to have FUN! Killing those mortals! And he even brags about it to Samus years later, and tortures her! What elegance! What grace! What disturbing brutality! What an inspiration! A true villain right there.
Pit: You disgust me...
Palutena: Don’t pay any attention to him, Pit. Be careful around Ridley. He is very experienced on the battle field. He can grab you, and fire flames from his mouth at you at close range. Or he would scrape you along the wall and floor. Even if you’re lucky enough to survive, he has other ways of attacking, including stabbing you with his tail, and using his sharp claws.
Hades: Yeah, IF you survive that is. Last time I checked, no one but Samus have survived a battle against Ridley... He’s just THAT good!
Pit: Alright! I get it! I’ll be careful around this guy! Sheesh...

(The "last adventure" is referring to the Sub Space Emissary)

So what are your ideas for conversations, if they return?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
personally, i don't think they'll return... especially with both snake and palutena being in, it seems like too much work.

i mean, this is gonna be the BIGGEST roster ever, and doing all that extra work for every single character... an absolute ton of voice acting... i just can't imagine it being done.

maybe i'm being pessimistic, but i'd prefer to expect nothing other than what was shown to us with absolute certainty... don't wanna get hyped up over something that hasn't been confirmed, i learned my lesson after smash 4.

it WOULD be immensely awesome if both the codecs and guidance returned, though... but again, as far as i'm concerned, the game's content is limited to what we've seen so far.

if more is shown, then great... but if not, i won't be disappointed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
personally, i don't think they'll return... especially with both snake and palutena being in, it seems like too much work.

i mean, this is gonna be the BIGGEST roster ever, and doing all that extra work for every single character... an absolute ton of voice acting... i just can't imagine it being done.

maybe i'm being pessimistic, but i'd prefer to expect nothing other than what was shown to us with absolute certainty... don't wanna get hyped up over something that hasn't been confirmed, i learned my lesson after smash 4.

it WOULD be immensely awesome if both the codecs and guidance returned, though... but again, as far as i'm concerned, the game's content is limited to what we've seen so far.

if more is shown, then great... but if not, i won't be disappointed.
Well Pit's VA has recorded at least one new line and Hayter's clips can't really be reused I think so we might get lucky

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Snake: Otacon, what is that thing?

Otacon: That's Ridley. He's Samus' Arch Rival, and Leader of the Space Pirates!

Snake: A Pirate? That!?

Otacton: Yeah. What's the problem?

Snake: Where's his Sword? His Pirate Hat? An Eye Patch? What about a Peg Leg?

Otacon: Not that type of Pirate, Snake!

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think they have a chance of returning, Sakurai wants this to be his swansong (or so it seems), and if he can do it, he's gonna do it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Suppose this thread should be bumped with this for good measure, for anyone outside the social thread who hasn't already seen it to see.

Top Bottom