• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paging Dr. Bidou… Is Dr. Bidou available?

FireJuun

Juggles Fire
I'm curious if anyone else has been looking at the Bidou control scheme with Dr. Mario. While this control scheme certainly isn't for everyone, I've noticed it can be a nice buffer to some of the weaknesses in Dr. Mario’s kit. Notably:

Pros (in Bidou):
  • Turnaround Bairs, SHFF Bairs are easier to perform. RAR SH Bairs can be input more quickly
  • Fast falls can be input without any loss in horizontal momentum
  • TRC’s footstool combo is much easier to perfect. Especially the jab lock variation that uses sprint -> turnaround F-tilt -> F-tilt.
  • You can mixup PP tilts and PP smashes to get a bit more reach
  • You can instant dash attack at the ledge as a ledgeguard mixup

Pros (out of Bidou):
  • Max height tornado requires ½ of the inputs vs usual (R stick down -> up -> down -> up -> down) and is now incredibly easy to master
  • SH Wavebounce cape is a nice mixup that gives unexpected backwards momentum when approaching (SH -> L stick forward -> R stick back)
  • You can also Wavebounce cape off the ledge (no SH) and immediately up special to get back. (still in testing...)
  • Up special gives max height if you are pressing up with no side inputs. I find this is easier with R stick up

Cons:
  • Different control scheme
  • SH -> instant Uair requires timing to input (not hard to perfect) vs attack stick. Other Uairs are unaffected
  • Retreating aerials are slightly harder
  • While R stick can be used for aerials, this requires frame perfect inputs. I can't get these effectively enough to trust in game

Anyways, for those with the mind for it, I strongly recommend testing out Bidou with the doc. Since I focus must strongly on my aerials (R + L buttons), my control scheme is as follows:

R - jump
RZ - special
L - attack
LZ - shield

X - grab
Tap jump / rumble / AB smash off
(other inputs unchanged)

Top Bottom