• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What move do you use to kill when Bell lands?
Or do you use the stun to combo?
I kill with Usmash if the opponent is closer to the middle of the screen, and fsmash if they are closer to the ledge.
But I also consider the character's fall speed and air speed to see how quickly they would die vertically or horizontally.
I only use the stun to combo, if the opponent is in the air

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I think I ran into silentspectre from melee. Green Falcon all the way. Unless he doesn't play smash 4, in which case it was a great imposter.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of pac man in teams, it seems like he could be very effective. I guess you can use bell to stun opponents for your teammate to hit like zss down smash.

Do you think trampoline can work as a recovery aid for your teammate. If your teammate is Little Mac and you left a trampoline off the stage could be useful in helping them recover or does it put both of you in a bad position.

What uses can hydrant have?

I'm not talking about the 2pac stall thing that will be banned.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I just fought nairo on stream again. Last time I won one set, but lost two. This time I lost both lol. He said I have a really solid pacman, and that he has never seen a pac-man who grabs so much, but is actually really acurate with them.
This is big people. Our grab may not be as bad as people say. You just got to use it to grab people from afar, or catching rolls and spot dodges.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I am beyond convinced that Pac Man's grab is awful, but that's probably because I think grabs are amazing in general since shield is so strong in this game. I cant resist throwing it out :(

Once I get Fsmashed/Knee'd/Dsmashed/falcon punched/hammered/Usmashed enough, maybe I'll stop using it so much.

On a different note, if you're going to do the hydrant + trampoline edge guard, have a bell or orange ready to punish the waiting at the ledge option.

It's hard to do quickly and safely online, but I think shielding other projectiles with our side B pellet can become a thing and make pac man even harder to camp. I ran into a good Samus online and did this whenever he started spamming missiles. He stopped pretty quickly.

As of late, I'm getting worse with my key aim because I'm using all of the other fruits more now. They all have uses, it's craz
Alright, here's the vid. Have fun! :4sonic:

I would imagine we could abuse this easily with F and D smash, Melon, and maybe Side B

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah that works well with hydrant and bell. I haven't really messed with other options though.

On a side note, pacman has a billion setups and traps, but I'm curious as to how you guys navigate the neutral game, especially against characters with more range on their normals.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah that works well with hydrant and bell. I haven't really messed with other options though.

On a side note, pacman has a billion setups and traps, but I'm curious as to how you guys navigate the neutral game, especially against characters with more range on their normals.
Keepaway with fruit and when they're close, either Hydrant, DTilt or the awesome escape button Trampoline is.

That's what I do.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I navigate the nuetral using diversions and mid range zoning. I keep the opponent away with fruit that ruin their approach, and also use the fruit to go in. Like throwing a melon or galaxian to get them to sheild, and then pop it with a trampoline or go for a grab. If they get hit by the fruit, that's when I begin comboing and putting the pressure on. Dtilt,ftilt, and trampoline are amazing for inching in on aggresive opponents due to their awesome range, and the trampoline is amazing for getting aggresive opponents away off of you.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I navigate the nuetral using diversions and mid range zoning. I keep the opponent away with fruit that ruin their approach, and also use the fruit to go in. Like throwing a melon or galaxian to get them to sheild, and then pop it with a trampoline or go for a grab. If they get hit by the fruit, that's when I begin combining and putting the pressure on. Dtilt,ftilt, and trampoline are amazing for inching in on aggresive opponents due to their awesome range, and the trampoline is amazing for getting aggresive opponents away off of you.
This is what I wanted to say, but better.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Yesterday , something strange happened us with the bonus fruit:

I think it started when a Link's bomb exploded on my hands. Is it known? It seems it's only visual effect

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
What move do you use to kill when Bell lands?
Or do you use the stun to combo?
What Pacman9 said, and I'm also trying to get better at confirming bell hits -> Side B traced into where they're going to fly. It's hard to do, but it pays off. Side B is a very strong move when it's fully charged.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And it's salt post time!

I'm getting really frustrated with trying to make this character work in singles. In doubles he's a beast, but in singles I can't seem to make him work. Every time I've pulled him out on Anther's ladder to date he has lost and I find myself trying to make comebacks with Megaman...

I don't understand. Is it me or is this just another character who just specializes in team play? If it is just me, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong sooner rather than later, because this is getting really annoying and making me want to just shelve him from singles completely.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Go offstage if you ever get the chance to try to edgeguard ness, continually fair and abuse the fact that you have a recovery and he doesnt (if at all possible jump into the thunder to absorb it) also remember to keep hydrant near the edge so hes not allowed at all to recover from a horizontal angle.

edit: continually fair while edgeguarding- I don't mean as your main damage dealer*

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
And it's salt post time!

I'm getting really frustrated with trying to make this character work in singles. In doubles he's a beast, but in singles I can't seem to make him work. Every time I've pulled him out on Anther's ladder to date he has lost and I find myself trying to make comebacks with Megaman...

I don't understand. Is it me or is this just another character who just specializes in team play? If it is just me, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong sooner rather than later, because this is getting really annoying and making me want to just shelve him from singles completely.
I felt this way too for a bit. On the Nintendojo ladder, I tried using Pac-Man and got bopped my first two games. I went Mario and won 8 in a row. I think Pac Man a bad online character like Brawl Falco was.

He gets messed up more than other characters by even the tiniest delay. He doesn't have any quick, low risk, high reward normals like most other characters do that he can abuse wifi lag with, and he doesn't have the luxury of being able to grab whenever he wants. This is huge. That 6 frame delay can mean a lot whenever a missed grab means you're getting Fsmashed.

If you're charging BF, and you get hit out of it because of some delay, you've lost all charge progress and possibly your BF if the opponent catches it. You also have to cancel charges preemptively if you're worried about lag eating inputs, leading to you getting hit mid charge.

Trying to Side B projectiles on reaction is a nightmare online. For example, when I try to side B Mario/Luigi/Doc's fireballs on reaction on wifi, the side B comes out too late and if I don't miss entirely, I then have to physically delay my input from what I'm seeing in order to eat the pellet and get back to whatever I'm doing without losing too much time.

Offline, I can do it without missing a beat, to the point that any fireball that isn't aggressively followed is basically a free healing for me. Seriously, online takes years to side B stuff properly compared to offline.

Random lag spikes can make the difference between you launching the hydrant and hitting them, or the hydrant getting launched at you and you take 25% from it and their attack, getting put in a bad spot, and having your hydrant on cooldown.

At this point, any time I feel like "gosh, this character feels so bad sometimes" and I'm online, I just ignore it because the difference between online and off is astronomical IMO. Being able to side B some projectiles on reaction changes some MU ratios, and Pac Man is designed to struggle when he makes a mistake and opponents get in. When lag fuels those mistakes, it's no surprise you feel frustrated. Online, I think Mario beats Pac-Man slightly because you can't Side B his fireballs properly, which leads to having to deal with them and his ridiculous frame data. Offline, when he can't fireball you, it's a different ball game.

I also stand by the fact that I refuse to believe that Namco would leave their own character without options to deal with everything in this game.

Side B the Lloyd rockets and pk fire. You can also gimp ness by side B'ing his pk Thunder.
LOL.

Just won my first game 2-0

Next up is one of Melbournes best Smash 4 players…

She uses Villager and Ness, any tips/hints for me before I get destroyed?
For Ness, in addition to what has been said:

Strike Battlefield and ban battlefield unless you've got secondaries that use it better than Ness does.

Be careful about planting hydrants in neutral because one PK fire will send it tumbling. That being said, lay trampolines so that Ness is forced to telegraph his approach (you eliminate his dash grab option when you do this) and charge up to oranges, Melons (which I think go through PK fire...I know they go through Robin's arc fire), and higher fruits for when the situation calls.

Side B the PK fire like Pacman9 said for a free heal. Ness shouts "PK!!" before he does it, and if you've got a trampoline between you two, that's all you have to worry about as far as immediate threats go. If you camp Ness and he tries to PK thunder, Side B that too, or have keys ready to punish him for it.

I had videos of the Ness MU from a tournament from a while back, but they got corrupted :( If you abuse trampoline and hydrant, Ness can't catch you all that well. Edgeguard him hard, and remember you can use Fruit, Hydrant, and yourself to body block his PK thunder 2 to cut the distance. Just make sure you can take if you do the latter most though.

For Villager:

Personally, I would camp villager hard and launch/throw hydrants and fruits his way in such a way that he can't pocket my BF. I would place a hydrant, stand behind it, and charge up to keys because they cut through anything Villager can throw out quickly and they're the hardest to pocket. If he Loid rockets your hydrant, one of your Ftilts will launch it right after. I think two long range slingshot rocks will damage the hydrant enough for your Ftilt to launch it.

If Villager tries to camp you with Side B, use your Side B to heal off of it.

Don't challenge Villager's uair and dair. The turnips are basically swords.

When you've got Villager offstage, jump offstage and harass him as much as you can.

Haven't had any offline villager experience, but I don't imagine it being too hard.

EDIT: Just thought about something. If we use our On Fire Hydrant Custom, we can heal ourselves off of our Fire with Side B.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's a good point.

The lag is usually good enough that I don't really notice it too much, but then again when I watch replays of my online vs offline games it feels like my online ones are always in slow motion.

Input delay does suck really hard for Pacman though.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So it seems that we have become the underdogs XD. That's alright, no one understands our character anyway. They're too focused on having a conventional flow-chart "game plan" to see that we thrive on being spontaneous and creative with our tools. We aren't a camping character, or a rush down character, or a spacing character. We play a character of sheer adaptability and versatility.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So it seems that we have become the underdogs XD. That's alright, no one understands our character anyway. They're too focused on having a conventional flow-chart "game plan" to see that we thrive on being spontaneous and creative with our tools. We aren't a camping character, or a rush down character, or a spacing character. We play a character of sheer adaptability and versatility.
People that think we throw our Fruit to camp or for pure damage make me laugh.

The same people think that Hydrant or Pac in general is a one-trick pony.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The Pac is looking great!

Surely Pac-Man won't be a rare Amiibo, right? I'm worried that I won't be able to get him or Ness...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, while we do have a lot of stupid setups (It's what I love about this character), he does have some issues that prevent him from getting to the top (Linear Recovery, setups can backfire, has to make time to setup although his good normals kind of negate that, TERRIBLE grab animation).

IDK, he feels like a mid tier to me; maybe around the higher end of mid, but he lacks some of the consistent BS that a lot of other characters have.

_____

Speaking of setups, I am starting to REALLY like the apple. The stuff you can do with that is stupid. I just need a more reliable way to get it in my hands.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well, while we do have a lot of stupid setups (It's what I love about this character), he does have some issues that prevent him from getting to the top (Linear Recovery, setups can backfire, has to make time to setup although his good normals kind of negate that, TERRIBLE grab animation).

IDK, he feels like a mid tier to me; maybe around the higher end of mid, but he lacks some of the consistent BS that a lot of other characters have.

_____

Speaking of setups, I am starting to REALLY like the apple. The stuff you can do with that is stupid. I just need a more reliable way to get it in my hands.
Linear recovery? You do know that we can go under the stage right?
Also, we really should expand our view before we say his setups can backfire. We still haven't utilized the superb dire hydrant, or the dangerous meteor trampoline (widest meteor smash hitbox in the game and can bury opponents that get up from the ledge)

He seems like a future mid high tier, but I predict him staying in mid for the early meta. There is just so much to still discover.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Personally I think people are overstating how easy it is to catch Pac-Man if/when he runs away, but maybe it's just me.

He's never going to hit top tier because of grab issues, but I'm still not putting him lower than high.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Linear recovery? You do know that we can go under the stage right?
Also, we really should expand our view before we say his setups can backfire. We still haven't utilized the superb dire hydrant, or the dangerous meteor trampoline (widest meteor smash hitbox in the game and can bury opponents that get up from the ledge)

He seems like a future mid high tier, but I predict him staying in mid for the early meta. There is just so much to still discover.
I honestly don't think customs are ever going to be widely accepted as tournament standards, so I'm not going to count those in my discussions at all; customs could in fact change everything I am saying, IDK.

I didn't know we could go under the stage, but while great distance wise, our recovery is still extremely linear. Every recovery move we have announces exactly where it is going and is vulnerable to interception.

By "Setups can backfire" I mean that a slightly mistimed attack can spell the difference between an unblockable setup or getting hit by your own hydrant. Getting caught while trying to set up fruit gushed setups can also happen, as can someone catching a fruit and just holding onto it.
They're not common occurrences if you play the character well, but they still can happen.

I do agree that he will probably reach high-mid though. He is a really good character, but he doesn't seem to have the consistency on his BS that the top tiers have.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I honestly don't think customs are ever going to be widely accepted as tournament standards, so I'm not going to count those in my discussions at all; customs could in fact change everything I am saying, IDK.

I didn't know we could go under the stage, but while great distance wise, our recovery is still extremely linear. Every recovery move we have announces exactly where it is going and is vulnerable to interception.

By "Setups can backfire" I mean that a slightly mistimed attack can spell the difference between an unblockable setup or getting hit by your own hydrant. Getting caught while trying to set up fruit gushed setups can also happen, as can someone catching a fruit and just holding onto it.
They're not common occurrences if you play the character well, but they still can happen.

I do agree that he will probably reach high-mid though. He is a really good character, but he doesn't seem to have the consistency on his BS that the top tiers have.
I actually meant the middle of high tier lol. Like A- or B+ But I do agree with you for the most part. But even then, what pac-man lacks in consistency and flow-chart methods, he makes up for in versatility and thriving from the player using his tools creatively. Using them correctly makes it a lot harder for them to be used against you, especially if you keep mixing it up.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Pac-Man strengths and weaknesses breakdown:

+Has two anti-juggle tools in 3 frame nair and hydrant
+Excellent but somewhat gimpable recovery
+Has nice flowing air to ground and ground to air combos
+Dash attack has no cooldown
+Down throw can lead into tech chase grab chains
+Back-throw can kill decently early on lighter characters
+One of the most versatile projectiles in the game in Bonus Fruit
+Bonus Fruit and PP have their own hurtboxes which hinders
+Offstage game is insane and Pac has so many stage spike options
+Disjointed Smash Attacks are also very powerful
+Hydrant and Trampoline allow some of the most interesting mobility hindered options in the game
+Solid jab and tilts
+Moveset offers one of the most versatile characters in the game
+Bonus Fruit can be picked up and Z-dropped, giving more out of shield options

-Dair isnt really very effective
-Rosalina bodies us horribly with one move
-Can often really struggle to land a kill move against a defensive opponent due to the fairly high predictability of kill moves
-Grab makes no sense and so is both hard to land and massively punishable on whiff
-Mid-range shield pressure is hard to deal with due to poor grab and low range nair
-Side b is extremely laggy
-Trampoline can be gimped fairly easily by characters with good recoveries
-Traps can be harder to set up against more mobile characters
-Hydrant can be hit back at us for 13%
-Pac lacks safe and non-choreographed approach options without fruit
-Pac lacks mobility with a fairly low air and fall speed and not brilliant dash speed either
-Lacks range in basically all of his normals
-Smash attacks extremely punishable on whiff
-Floaty and so dies earlier off the top
-Fthrow and Uthrow are basically useless

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'd encourage everyone to take a look at @Locke 06's multiple posts on Pac-Man in the Competitive Character Discussion as well. They break down his weaknesses in a pretty easy to understand way.
And one dimensionally. He talks about his weaknesses as a camper, but he isn't a camper...
He doesn't know pacman that well at all yet.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
That's cool.

But its still a good read and very useful because the majority of what was said is spot on believe it or not. Sans BF being useless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom