• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Stage Analysis/Discussion (Open Discussion)

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
So I think Dreamland will be a great stage for us. The breeze blowing plus the hydrant water can send our opponents sliding away and create even faster approaches. plus we can kill slightly faster.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I'm still averse to platform stages, I struggle against characters who have better mobility than me when on Dreamland.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Some people have talked about legalizing Wuhu Island (arguing that it's a more fair moving stage than Halberd/Delfino). IMO this is the best transforming stage for Pacman, and one of the best stages for him in general.

The stage has a LOT of transformations, 14 to Delfino's 9, so I'm not going to cover individual advantages of each stage, but I think that this stage benefits Pacman in the same way it benefits Wii Fit Trainer.

To make a long story short, the stage is BIG. About 20% longer than FD, most of Wuhu Island's set pieces give Pacman an opportunity to set up fruit and Hydrant traps.

Of course the size might also be a reason for players to not pick this stage. The width and the repeated transformations give Pacman plenty of room to move, and like Duck Hunt, do leave the ability to go for a timeout up in the air.

I personally don't like stall play, so I'm going to spend some time investigating offensive options for Pacman on this stage and report back.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
Some people have talked about legalizing Wuhu Island (arguing that it's a more fair moving stage than Halberd/Delfino). IMO this is the best transforming stage for Pacman, and one of the best stages for him in general.

The stage has a LOT of transformations, 14 to Delfino's 9, so I'm not going to cover individual advantages of each stage, but I think that this stage benefits Pacman in the same way it benefits Wii Fit Trainer.

To make a long story short, the stage is BIG. About 20% longer than FD, most of Wuhu Island's set pieces give Pacman an opportunity to set up fruit and Hydrant traps.

Of course the size might also be a reason for players to not pick this stage. The width and the repeated transformations give Pacman plenty of room to move, and like Duck Hunt, do leave the ability to go for a timeout up in the air.

I personally don't like stall play, so I'm going to spend some time investigating offensive options for Pacman on this stage and report back.
Would really like to hear this. Enjoyed Wuhu for the free fruits in hand and the good time to set up.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Watching @ Zage Zage play Zero at Smash Con made me like Delfino and way before that, a key that I had in hand that I threw upward into Rosalina killed her at like 60. It was crazy

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I think Delfino and Town & City are good stages vs Shiek. FD is our best but they always ban it so lol.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Always ban lylat cruise. No room for a Pac-brotha/Pac-sista to stretch his/her stage control :p
I'm also going to ban it against Kirby. After playing Mike Kirby on that stage, I realized I couldn't do anything lol.

BSP

Smash Legend
Lylat, Delfino, and Halberd are my instant bands 98% of the time. I'm getting better with BF though.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I've tested Pokemon Stadium 2 in my state. It won't be legal because my scene hates the idea of change, but the stage's jank helps Pac-Man

Hydrant does not move on the conveyor belt.
The Rocks help Pac-Man bounce keys and oranges to catch them.
During the Wind Transition, Up-B can kill around 110 if you can get your opponent in air.
Ice is meh.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like Lylat/Battlefield, they really don't give you that much room to setup, and the platforms can really be a nuisance. Although I'm starting to come around to liking Dreamland. The wind can make getting around hydrant/trampolines a pain.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Lylat, Delfino, and Halberd are my instant bands 98% of the time. I'm getting better with BF though.
I actually like Halbred against characters that can't keep up with Camping Pacman. The stages changes just enough for Pacman t exert a funky kinda stage control with hydrants and platforms. In some transformation your fruit is a bit camouflaged as well.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
When a player wins game one and bans FD and Duck Hunt, and uses a character with great upwards kill power, what stage should we take them to?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
When a player wins game one and bans FD and Duck Hunt, and uses a character with great upwards kill power, what stage should we take them to?
It depends entirely on the character imo. Great upward mobility cannot be the sole factor you take into consideration when deciding your counterpick.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Can we talk about strategies to use on battlefield? Whenever I get taken there I end up doing really poorly. IK a lot of this stems from my over dependence on being in the air, but I'm having trouble adapting a more ground based game.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Can we talk about strategies to use on battlefield? Whenever I get taken there I end up doing really poorly. IK a lot of this stems from my over dependence on being in the air, but I'm having trouble adapting a more ground based game.
Are you using fruits other than the key and orange? When I just started I had a hard time with battlefield but now I really like it.

verbatim

Smash Ace
I use pretty much everything but the Melon and Bell. Melon's a situational thing and I'm not yet comfortable landing kill setups with the Bell, which i need to work on but don't think is specifically contributing to me having trouble on BF.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I use pretty much everything but the Melon and Bell. Melon's a situational thing and I'm not yet comfortable landing kill setups with the Bell, which i need to work on but don't think is specifically contributing to me having trouble on BF.
Every fruit is situational lol. It's the way you use it that makes it great. Melon can be used for insurmountable ledge traps, trampoline traps, DITCIT approaches and many more.

You just need a little creativity to see that everything has a use.

verbatim

Smash Ace
While messing around on FG I may have stumbled onto an interesting counterpick for tournaments that allow you to choose omega stages if you pick FD.

When you place a trampoline underneath the inward arches on omega Bridge of Eldin Pacman's up b will let him recover on the second bounce because of its weird momentum properties, but opponents that don't have up b's that hug the wall will bash their head on the ceiling, in the Diddy's case losing his jump, and then hit the red trampoline putting them in special fall.

That this happened twice in one match was insane. (if you go through it in slow motion you can see that he special falls in the second death too)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Does anyone play on the 3ds? By far my best stage on it is Prism Tower, at my last tournament I got counter picked to Delfino Plaza and I did extremely well there, I'm wonder if the two stages may be somewhat similar. I used to ban the stage a lot but I'm more open to it now, does anyone like to counter pick there? What do you make of the stage for Pacman?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Town and City is God's gift to Pacman!

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I'm trainning lylat because everyone on Spain used to ban FD and lylat has a lot of this to offer to pac-man mains. Every hydrant and fruit bounces really weird

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
I went to a tournament today that had Norfair legal. That's a weird stage for Pac-Man. Apple and bell are good there and the lava insta-launches the hydrant. This will hit Pac-Man if he drops it too low. What do you all think of this stage?

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
I'm trainning lylat because everyone on Spain used to ban FD and lylat has a lot of this to offer to pac-man mains. Every hydrant and fruit bounces really weird
with the way the stage tilt's you can actually get some fruit extremely easy like melon, galaxian and key

verbatim

Smash Ace
IDK, whenever someone picks Lylat I immediately switch off to Ganon matchup regardless, I feel like it's such an inclosed space that Pacman doesn't get any time to get his setup's going. That being said it might be worth considering for ease of getting z-droppable fruit + Pacman's recovery isn't destroyed by the ledge the way others are.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
IDK, whenever someone picks Lylat I immediately switch off to Ganon matchup regardless, I feel like it's such an inclosed space that Pacman doesn't get any time to get his setup's going. That being said it might be worth considering for ease of getting z-droppable fruit + Pacman's recovery isn't destroyed by the ledge the way others are.
pac works best from a keepaway game but he has some tools for close quarters, and we need to develop that more since people's number 1 priority is to get in on pac. i think with the fact the stage ads very unique traps and you can charge fruit offstage (cause no one's gonna gimp PAC-MAN honestly) its very possible if you grind it out.

N64's Our Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thetavictor
3DS FC
4296-3524-1920
Has Halberd been mentioned at all yet? If not, I'd love to direct you all to this AMAZING set I watched with Abadango playing on it. It really shows how interesting of a stage it can be.

The key-thing at the beginning is weird. I'm not sure how he got that - but the rest of the match, Abadango used ramps VERY effectively. He used Apple as some kind of weird jankbox. It worked out very well and the match is interesting to watch as a result.

I think Halberd might be an okay stage for Pac-Man. Granted, fruit like Bell got stuck in the lasers, but it's not that awful.

I'd study this stage a bit. It could be the best transformation for Pac-Man, or at least among the best. Halberd's an okay stage for anyone in general.

Well, except my friend who holds a personal vendetta against the stage, but let's not get personal here.
Abadango used the wall in the gap between the rising platform to grab the key. Abadango has really good spacing, it is always fun watching someone with good spacing play. Also that last kill was amazing.

verbatim

Smash Ace
What about the stage makes it good for Pac? Honestly I can't tell
Personal opinion:

- Low blast zones make for earlier killing off the top w/ Bell --> Up-Smash, Apple, and Key kills.
- Platforms give space to dance above opponents, while being high enough to not mess up Galaxian combo's.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
We didn't get any buffs this time but Sakurai gave us another stage option. A great one at that. I think Clock Tower is even better then our illustrious FD.

When we Z drop the key with the hydrant on the clock in the middle, it can stop on one end of the Clock then fly backwards. It can also bounce to the other side platforms that spawn beside the stage. If the stage spawns a platform under it. we can zdrop the key and the hydrant and send it flying upwards towards the platform beside the original stage. It's a living breathing stage hazard with Pac-Man. Plus we have multiple places to charge fruit.

If they ban FD, we play Clock Tower/Vise Versa.

We now have another great stage under our belt besides FD.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
We didn't get any buffs this time but Sakurai gave us another stage option. A great one at that. I think Clock Tower is even better then our illustrious FD.

When we Z drop the key with the hydrant on the clock in the middle, it can stop on one end of the Clock then fly backwards. It can also bounce to the other side platforms that spawn beside the stage. If the stage spawns a platform under it. we can zdrop the key and the hydrant and send it flying upwards towards the platform beside the original stage. It's a living breathing stage hazard with Pac-Man. Plus we have multiple places to charge fruit.

If they ban FD, we play Clock Tower/Vise Versa.

We now have another great stage under our belt besides FD.
I personally think DH is a good stage for Pac as well depending on the matchup.

Top Bottom