• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN are we assuming the z drop hit as well, so z drop, down throw, into up smash?
No, Run -> Dthrow -> Usmash.

I have the cherry on my hand and I am fishing zdrops until I see that my enemy does a mistake or try to punish me. I use the A-Landing AT to improve my movement with the item on my hands

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Hey, not sure of this known or not. But jc up b is a good alternative for those who dislike tap jump. It fixes that awkward thing where you have to stop dashing and then up b.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Not sure if anyone uses this, but:
FF U-air -> Bell -> side B is a KO confirm is you extend your jump with the bell. Jump first after the Uair, then hold the bell to extend your jump before finally throwing it.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
For sinji's vid. z drop ledge jump, does about the same thing. You just ff and then charge an up smash.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Made a quick edit to add in Super Z-Drop and Hydrant Cancel. Might change the combos section more later

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
So, quick question. Fruit, hydrant, and trampoline with the occasional melee will make short work of the majority of the cast because with our crazy amount of setups and tools, we can exploit most character weaknesses. What should we be trying to do when we come across a character, like diddy kong for example, who has no real weaknesses, or mario or shiek?

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Also, is there a way to guarantee that the fruit will always hit the hydrant when z dropped? The inconsistency really throws off my game sometimes and has cost me a win more a few times.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
So personally, when trying to find info or relate back to a post months ago. Going through 90+ pages is a little flustering. Rather than searching through all these discussions would it be better to add on stuff to the first page? Similiar to how the megaman boards have done?

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I was looking for advice on how to do the z-drop to footstool key dribble infinite. I was having trouble finding videos or guides on how to do it and was also wondering how likely would to opportunity to use it mid match come up.

My main issue is knowing the order of the buttons. It seems to start with jump > z-drop> footstool > catch, and from here forward, i can't seem to get it going. Does it not work with all bonus fruit and can only pac man do it. The rhythm seems to change. Thanks

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Also, is there a way to guarantee that the fruit will always hit the hydrant when z dropped? The inconsistency really throws off my game sometimes and has cost me a win more a few times.
You have to hit the side of the hydrant. Basically have to Z-drop near the edge of it so it doesn't hit the "platform" part.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Yo. So I don't know if this has been discussed yet. But launching the hydrant while getting pushed by the water is one of the best options he has. It's also extremely simple. Bair, pause a second and then_____. Up smash while the hydrant pushes you will allows you to be just a bit slower than the flying hydrant. You can throw them into it, up b them into it, or tilt them into it. From jab, we gain a hydrant wall as usual with the benefit of being pushed backwards from the water, allowing us a free fruit charge

Huge

Smash Apprentice
I've been labbing for a bit, and it looks like we can use Phantom Fruit to bypass Fair's really annoying AC window. I usually fastfall with Nair after a Fair because of Nair's lower landing lag, but fastfalling with Phantom Fruit allows you to land laglessly and follow up the Fair with jab, ftilt, etc. The timing is a bit tricky, but it looks like this has some potential. Any input here?

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Is side b a good option to catch landings fair away? I've been using that and hydrant pushed f smash, also, not that it isn't probably well known but we can actually gimp with our projectiles,
I've started to combine our attacks with footstools for those who have a poor vertical recovery. Basically, it's still a WIP but for example, hydrant hit will confirm footstool, a z dropped apple will confirm footstool because it launches them straight up, there's a bunch of other ones that are just theories atm, but I digress.
My next is maximizing a footstool on stage, do you guys have any setups for foostool? The only ones I can find is D thrown fruit, which wastes the fruit and the occasional fair/uair to footstool.
Also I have a question for Huge Huge , sorry, you said not to double post XD.
So what height are you fairing from? I'm not able to pull out fruit at all unless it's like the top of their head. Also I found while accidentally doing this you can combo most fruits from mid percents ish. So fair, (charging fruit cancels any lag)throw fruit on the ground.

Last edited:

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Is side b a good option to catch landings fair away? I've been using that and hydrant pushed f smash, also, not that it isn't probably well known but we can actually gimp with our projectiles,
I've started to combine our attacks with footstools for those who have a poor vertical recovery. Basically, it's still a WIP but for example, hydrant hit will confirm footstool, a z dropped apple will confirm footstool because it launches them straight up, there's a bunch of other ones that are just theories atm, but I digress.
My next is maximizing a footstool on stage, do you guys have any setups for foostool? The only ones I can find is D thrown fruit, which wastes the fruit and the occasional fair/uair to footstool.
Also I have a question for Huge Huge , sorry, you said not to double post XD.
So what height are you fairing from? I'm not able to pull out fruit at all unless it's like the top of their head. Also I found while accidentally doing this you can combo most fruits from mid percents ish. So fair, (charging fruit cancels any lag)throw fruit on the ground.
Also third finding(that's also probably been discovered, you can gimp with hydrant water very easily, if you know the opponent has to recover a certain way cloud has to go directly under the stage, ike does too, pit liks to get super low so you can't edge guard him. Basically you can set down the hydrant when they are exactly two seconds from recovering, the first water gush comes out in 2 seconds. So you steal the ledge or uair them into it, and then from there the water will push them off stage. Also just for anyone curious, trampoline lasts 5 seconds ish, and hydrant lasts about 6. The gushes come out on 2 and 4

Damn, I double posted anyways. I've failed you all.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
My next is maximizing a footstool on stage, do you guys have any setups for foostool? The only ones I can find is D thrown fruit, which wastes the fruit and the occasional fair/uair to footstool..
You can do fair --> footstool --> hydrant --> walk of hydrant with uair (you have to follow which way they are sent flying) at low %'s.

If you have a bell in hand you can do footstool --> throw bell down jabreset --> fastfall f-smash. One trick I've seen Abadango do but have not (yet) been able to replicate in tournament is throw bell with b --> fair to grab bell --> footstool out of the fair --> throw bell down to jab reset --> fastfall f-smash.

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
hey guys. I finally mastered the double galaga combo. But I couldn't find a way to reliably set it up. It only works between 35- 50% and requires pretty strict spacing. Other than roll reads, and tech punishes, are there any options?

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
hey guys. I finally mastered the double galaga combo. But I couldn't find a way to reliably set it up. It only works between 35- 50% and requires pretty strict spacing. Other than roll reads, and tech punishes, are there any options?
Not really, unfortunately. If your opponent misses the tech, the spacing on down throw works sometimes, or you can try to predict their tech option and punish accordingly.

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
When I try to z drop catch, I keep getting inconsistent results, I'm pressing grab to shield . Instead of the airdodge, sometimes I'm getting nair, or nothing at all... any clue why?

Last edited:

Norkas

Smash Rookie
When I try to z drop catch, I keep getting inconsistent results, I'm pressing grab to shield . Instead of the airdodge, sometimes I'm getting nair, or nothing at all... any clue why?
I don't know the exact timing of the inputs you are doing, but I might have an idea of what is throwing you off.
Everytime you are holding down the shield button, both grounded and in the air, your buttons set to attack and grab will do the exact same moves. Try holding shield in the air and press grab and your input will start an aerial. If you press attack while holding a fruit in hand and hold down shield, your attack input will do throw or z-drop depending on your left stick. It took me quite a while to realize, that attack and grab pretty much become the same input, which has some properties of both grab and attack, when holding shield.
With this you can probably figure out the differences in your timing, resulting in those inconsistent results. I hope this helped.

MrShowBoat

Smash Rookie
Hey guys

Not sure if this tech has been documented. The general idea is using the water to push you to catch your opponent off guard, catch fruits, pressure etc. Of course it is quite situational when you can use it, combined with fruits it can maybe open up some options.

Watch the video in mute if you are sick of the Dreamland theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRGWEinRqnI

Last edited:

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
it has, there are multiple techniques about it in here. If you want to save yourself some lab time read some of the posts in here. Its great that you figured this out own though, way to be creative!

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
Quick question, how can the opponent avoid the down throw tech chase setup? Is there a percent that it works on everyone? Also down throw tech chasing like ganon is lol

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
///////////////////////////

Last edited:

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
How do you actually hit people with bell? The only way I've figured out to confirm it is off z drop down throw and using it to catch landings because it doesn't matter if you dodge it or not when it comes start down.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Opal_

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this thread is dead bc nobody's been talking. Gonna assume it's still going ._.
ANYWAYS

Ive been doing the short hop fruit cancel technique mentioned prior and have to to the conclusion that it can only be done once every cycle.

IE: After doing one SH fair FF FC, doing another one right after will not result in a FC, but a cherry throw. But sometimes when I just try to fruit cancel without doing anything else I can do it more than once, but its inconsistent. I guess my question is can you FC more than once before having to throw another fruit? Or am I doing it wrong?

Also first timer here long time lurker.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this thread is dead bc nobody's been talking. Gonna assume it's still going ._.
ANYWAYS

Ive been doing the short hop fruit cancel technique mentioned prior and have to to the conclusion that it can only be done once every cycle.

IE: After doing one SH fair FF FC, doing another one right after will not result in a FC, but a cherry throw. But sometimes when I just try to fruit cancel without doing anything else I can do it more than once, but its inconsistent. I guess my question is can you FC more than once before having to throw another fruit? Or am I doing it wrong?

Also first timer here long time lurker.
Hold B instead of tapping it.

Opal_

Smash Rookie
^ Thanks, Zage! I feel kinda stupid cuz I thought it'd be harder. . .

I have something to contribute now

When ur opponent is just at around mid-percent range, one kill option you have is what is shown in this bad-quality video I've made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrouaExlWhE&feature=youtu.be

Bascially, if ur opponent likes to approach whenever you place down a hydrant, you can punish this by doing a runoff grab. Immediately down throw so the water can push you and the opponent together. Then as soon as the animation is over you should be right below your opponent with an up smash.

If done correctly this WILL be a combo starting from the down throw all the way through to the Up Smash.

Opal_

Smash Rookie
Okay if anyone is still here (haha...) I have another thing.

https://youtu.be/htDIO3ZJI18

When grabbed and thrown at the right time after the water gushes out of the hydrant, f throw combos into key.
I haven't seen any examples of this so I made a video.

-Till next time

Top Bottom