• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overwatch director offered a character for Smash

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
According to this news:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...ays-nintendo-can-have-any-character-for-smash

Jeff Kaplan, director of Overwatch, offered the Smash team any character they want to choose from Overwatch to put it in Smash Ultimate.
He even recommended Tracer, because she is their mascot, and shared thoughts about Doomfist too.

What do you guys think about it?

Personally, Overwatch is my favorite shooter of recent times, and I would love to have one of the heroes of the game in Smash.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Phil Spencer said "Yes" about:ultbanjokazooie:

#Tracerconfirmed4Smash. She's our 5th DLC fighter. Wrap it all up folks the debate is finally over.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d rather have a WoW character if we got anything from blizzard.

Yeah I know that is kinda hard to do considering the Warcraft series as a whole hasn’t appeared on a Nintendo system before to my knowledge, but I still feel that WoW is more justified being the game that not only brought blizzard from being that pc developer that only hardcore pc gamers really knew about, to the juggernaut that managed to bring pc mmorpgs to the mainstream.

That or the lost vikings, who could have a unique playstyle kinda like pkmn trainer where it’s 3 characters in one. And they HAVE appeared on a Nintendo system before, as they were on the snes back when blizzard was an early developer (whose original name I cannot recall atm and am too lazy to lookup...). AND they’d be another retro character(s) as well, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The fact that the Overwatch guys are saying they're up for Smash means that none of the already-planned characters are Overwatch characters.

If they said "no, there's no way an Overwatch character would be in the game, tee hee!" then you'd have suspicion.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally fine with an Overwatch rep as long as it's one of the separate DLC and not part of the Fighters Pass. Thay way I can avoid buying it.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not sure how much this really means since, what developer wouldn't let Nintendo have whoever they wanted for Smash? Seriously, who would go, "Nah, I don't want my characters in this free publicity game." Do you know how many indie devs have talked about a character in Smash? Of course they'd want in.

Arthur97

Smash Master
You heard it bois! Tracer is coming to Smash!
Please be sarcastic. Pretty much any dev if asked about Smash would say "Yeah, that'd be great, but it's up to Nintendo." Even Kojima I think asked for Snake to be used in 4 (didn't work that time). Wanting their character in Smash and them being in Smash are two different things.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The fact that he's letting us know this means he's probably not under NDA....implying there isn't an Overwatch character currently planned.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Please be sarcastic. Pretty much any dev if asked about Smash would say "Yeah, that'd be great, but it's up to Nintendo." Even Kojima I think asked for Snake to be used in 4 (didn't work that time). Wanting their character in Smash and them being in Smash are two different things.
I'll leave it to your imagination.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how much this really means since, what developer wouldn't let Nintendo have whoever they wanted for Smash? Seriously, who would go, "Nah, I don't want my characters in this free publicity game." Do you know how many indie devs have talked about a character in Smash? Of course they'd want in.
I think Master Chief would be the most likely to be that character. Halo is such a specifically Microsoft franchise, and Master Chief such an iconic character to the series, that I think they'd be more reluctant to loan him to Nintendo than Banjo. Or even if they were willing, they might demand a higher license fee than Nintendo is willing to pay. And someone like Master Chief doesn't really need additional exposure from Smash, so there isn't much benefit to giving him to the game.

I'm not saying Master Chief is impossible, just that I think he would be one of the hardest to negotiate for.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think Master Chief would be the most likely to be that character. Halo is such a specifically Microsoft franchise, and Master Chief such an iconic character to the series, that I think they'd be more reluctant to loan him to Nintendo than Banjo. Or even if they were willing, they might demand a higher license fee than Nintendo is willing to pay. And someone like Master Chief doesn't really need additional exposure from Smash, so there isn't much benefit to giving him to the game.

I'm not saying Master Chief is impossible, just that I think he would be one of the hardest to negotiate for.
Pretty much everyone can benefit from Smash. Very few are over that bar if any. Mario doesn't really need the extra exposure for one. However, the Microsoft argument may not hold much water soon. I kind of expect them to bow out of the console race before too long.

Though, Smash is a great deal for third parties (probably too good of one) you get fees and publicity while doing minimal work. They get to let Nintendo pay the bills and reap the benefits.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much everyone can benefit from Smash. Very few are over that bar if any. Mario doesn't really need the extra exposure for one. However, the Microsoft argument may not hold much water soon. I kind of expect them to bow out of the console race before too long.

Though, Smash is a great deal for third parties (probably too good of one) you get fees and publicity while doing minimal work. They get to let Nintendo pay the bills and reap the benefits.
Mario has the opposite situation. Nintendo owns Mario, so not having Mario in their crossover mascot fighter would be the stupidest thing ever. They don't need anyone's permission to put him in, he's free. Smash's initial success rode on the fame of the characters in the roster. I am certain that it would be nowhere near as famous as it is now if it just had generic OCs instead of being a crossover.

However much the developer or creator of a character wants them to be in Smash, Nintendo would still have to negotiate with the bean counters that actually own the character. And bean counters aren't just going to roll over and beg when Smash comes knocking.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mario has the opposite situation. Nintendo owns Mario, so not having Mario in their crossover mascot fighter would be the stupidest thing ever. They don't need anyone's permission to put him in, he's free. Smash's initial success rode on the fame of the characters in the roster. I am certain that it would be nowhere near as famous as it is now if it just had generic OCs instead of being a crossover.

However much the developer or creator of a character wants them to be in Smash, Nintendo would still have to negotiate with the bean counters that actually own the character. And bean counters aren't just going to roll over and beg when Smash comes knocking.
Because every fighter is downhill after Mario (kind of like how I feel third parties are downhill after Sonic).

I imagine most would though. Not giving the go ahead would be plain stupid.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Not sure how much this really means since, what developer wouldn't let Nintendo have whoever they wanted for Smash? Seriously, who would go, "Nah, I don't want my characters in this free publicity game."
SQUARE seems to have come awfully close.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Considering they only recently said this and all of the dlc characters were planned from day 1, an overwatch rep is probably not gonna be in fighters pass 1.

Also, considering how much Sora loves their swordfighters (:ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulthero::ultike::ultjoker::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobinf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:), I wouldn't be surprised if Genji ended up being the rep.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Overwatch characters are at all possible, I'd like to say:

Thanks, but no thanks.

They may be iconic now, but Smash needs characters who have stood the test of time first and foremost. Overwatch's characters are pups.

Maybe if they outlast the eighth generation of consoles, they could work. Being at least one generation old is a good enough benchmark in my book.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
If Overwatch characters are at all possible, I'd like to say:

Thanks, but no thanks.

They may be iconic now, but Smash needs characters who have stood the test of time first and foremost. Overwatch's characters are pups.

Maybe if they outlast the eighth generation of consoles, they could work. Being at least one generation old is a good enough benchmark in my book.
I honestly agree. While Overwatch was definitely a big game at launch, it already hasn't stood the test of time and has about 3% of the original playbase atm. Then again, they've put characters into the game before their own games had even released (:ultcorrinf::ulthero:).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I honestly agree. While Overwatch was definitely a big game at launch, it already hasn't stood the test of time and has about 3% of the original playbase atm. Then again, they've put characters into the game before their own games had even released (:ultcorrinf::ulthero:).
:ulthero: doesn't work for your argument because DQ11 came out on the 3DS and PS4 less than a year before Ultimate was even announced. And if you wanna get technical, :ultcorrinf:'s game came out in Japan before they were announced for Smash 4 as DLC.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
To be fair, no one in the West knew much, if anything at all, about Fates when Corrin was announced for Smash (That's not even including how they changed/censored parts of the game from the Japanese to English versions). Corrin had already been decided to be in before their game released, meaning neither the West nor the East fanbases had any input into whether or not the character should have been in (and as it turned out, Fates wasn't that hot). If you live in the West and see a character from a game you know little about added to Smash to advertise for said game, that's probably pretty salt inducing (especially considering how many were under the impression the Smash Ballot applied to Smash 4 and not a future release).

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
this doesn't confirm any overwatch character, it only confirms that if Nintendo/Sakurai wants a Overwatch character to be in the game then they can do so!

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I agree as well. When I saw the title of this thread, I was already like ..... really?

I'd find such a character to be very out of place on the roster, and kind of immersion-breaking.

Smash started as a roster of Nindendo characters. Over time, a couple third-party characters have been added as well, but even they aren't too much of a stretch. After all, Sonic is also a gaming legend, despite not technically being a Nintendo character.

All the characters, however, still do have something in common with one another. While a few characters may have appeared on competitor's products rather than Nintendo's, all of them are characters that have significance to the console gaming market. To start taking PC gaming characters that are currently popular (another, such as Steve from Minecraft I've seen thrown around) and putting them up against Mario and Sonic, it just seems wrong to me, and incredibly breaking of the immersion and style of the game and its roster.

I'd be kind of, to put it bluntly, disgusted seeing Tracer running around in Smash. It's not the place for Overwatch characters to be. What would be next? Nathan Drake and Lara Croft? It just isn't the place.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd be kind of, to put it bluntly, disgusted seeing Tracer running around in Smash. It's not the place for Overwatch characters to be. What would be next? Nathan Drake and Lara Croft? It just isn't the place.
I'd disagree on Lara. She's had six games on Nintendo consols dating back to the Gameboy Color. That's more Nintendo history than a lot of characters people support.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I'd disagree on Lara. She's had six games on Nintendo consols dating back to the Gameboy Color. That's more Nintendo history than a lot of characters people support.
Oh I actually didn't know that. Bad example, then. It still feels odd to me to have strictly PC characters considered for Smash.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Oh I actually didn't know that. Bad example, then. It still feels odd to me to have strictly PC characters considered for Smash.
But Blizzard is supporting the Switch pretty well, with Diablo 3 and now Overwatch. These games are awesome, and I really like the idea of have more recent characters in Smash. Smash needs to please the new generation of gamers too, the old ones already have too much characters they like there from old games.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But Blizzard is supporting the Switch pretty well, with Diablo 3 and now Overwatch. These games are awesome, and I really like the idea of have more recent characters in Smash. Smash needs to please the new generation of gamers too, the old ones already have too much characters they like there from old games.
We did just get :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultjoker:, four characters from fairly recent games. It's not like older characters have been vastly overshadowing new ones.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, sounds like a no after recent events. Its easier for Nintendo to say No and stay neutral.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Can anyone summarize this Blizzard thing that happened for me? I haven't heard anything.
Blizzard banned a Chinese Hearthstone player and renounced his tournament win after he came out in support of the Hong Kong protesters. They have sense received a lot of backlash and accusations of putting Chinese money over freedom of speech, similar to accusations made toward Apple and the NBA.

Then the CEO of Blizzard said some BS to try and justify their actions. Last I heard they're going to unban the player and recognize his tournament win but people still hate the company for causing this fiasco.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
"Liberate Hong Kong, the revolution of our times"

YEAH No....no overwatch in smash please not during this huge contraversy of Free Hong Kong & China controlling & censoring games outside of china

lets keep smash political free (shhhh not you joker)

Top Bottom