• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's monthly P:M house tournament - March 16th, 2013 - Taylor Mill, Kentucky

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I like Project M and I've got 5 TVs in my house that can be used for small monthly gatherings for Project M, so... why not?

When:
First event date: March 16th, from noon until end

If you know of any other local tournament that I could be hurting by having this small event on the same day, let me know.

Where:
736 Sage Hill Drive
Taylor Mill KY, 41015

Parking:
On the street, not in the driveway. This is in a suburb, so all street parking is free. Do NOT block in other cars or their driveways. Do NOT park at the end of a road (unless you want your car to be hit by another car turning in).

Drive slowly. Children live here, and they do play outside even in the cold weather.

Entry Price:
Venue: $3
Project M Singles: $5
Project M Doubles: $5 per player
Draft Crew Battles: $2 or $5 per player, determined by a vote if there is time
Special events if we feel like it: $1

"Why is there a venue fee if it is at your house?"

People break things and people can cause an inconvenience. Having this venue fee means if someone breaks something I don't necessarily have to pursue legal action to get money to replace the broken item, which is good for everyone.

Plus, we will use this money to provide drinks/snacks and depending on a later discussion with my girlfriend some home cooked food. In warmer months you might get some stuff from off the grill!

Payout:

Singles/Doubles
1) 60%
2) 30%
3) 10%
4) Money back (this is done prior to the % above)

Due to the entry being only $5, I'd like people to get SOME extra money by winning, and splitting it up to 5 places would bring in very little.

Draft Crews:
Winning crew gets all money divided equally.

For reasons of this being in a house, I will need absolutely everyone to pre-register for each event as early as possible. At a certain cutoff I'll have to simply not allow other people to attend; I do not know what that is yet but I'd like to have an idea of how many people are coming.

Don't let this discourage you from discovering you can show up last minute and then calling me or posting in the thread, but just realize I have to set up the house for the tournament event and if it somehow turned out that we got 40 people just stopping by my household would be way, way too full. o_O

To register, simply post in the thread that you are planning on attending on (date of tournament). I'll mark you up in the first post.

Housing:

We do have space for a small number of people to sleep at the house. Please let me know in advance if you need to be staying so we can organize things and bring your own sleeping materials. No one under the age of 19 is permitted to stay the night.

Ruleset:

The purpose of the event is to increase knowledge of Project M and establish a solid understanding of multiple characters and stages.

As such, the rules have been modified for singles! This will not be a standard tournament! I want people to play many games with many characters on many stages so we can increase our knowledge base. If you think a certain stage is broken for a certain character in a certain matchup or any other combination, use it, abuse it, and we'll put a star next to that stage and list it as "banned by (player)" and you'll get some money.

Doubles:
10 or more teams: Standard double elimination bracket.
9 or less teams: Round Robin pools, with the top 2 teams from each pool moving on into a double elimination bracket. 1st in pool A will play 2nd in pool B and vice versa.

4 stock, 8 minute timer. Other standard rules apply (seen in singles).

Singles:

Singles will be an iron man event, pools only. No bracket.

Each player will pick 3 characters privately and put a star/asterisk next to the character they will be using first. This may change between each set, but doesn't have to!

They will then show each other their sheet, pick their characters, and stage strike from the starter stages to pick their first match.

After this first match is completed, the winning player will reduce his own personal stock using Project M's stock control option to the same amount of stock he had at the end of the game (as shown on screen prior to the game ending).

The winning player will then ban one stage and must remain that character with that amount of stock.

The losing player will then pick a new character AND stage.

This will continue until one player has lost all stock.

Special notes:

In the event of a dual-suicide, swallowcide, or any other sort of dual elimination, both characters are simply eliminated and you put a star next to your next remaining character in private as you did for your first character and the set moves on. Please note this does NOT occur if you both fly off the top and one of you dies a split second in front of the other; the victory screen will show who survived in these cases. Only in the case of a swallowcide-esque manuever will you both lose the stock. This is to prevent potential random behavior from the game's victory screen; if we discover there is no random behavior or it can be circumvented, this rule will be removed.

In the event of a sudden death on the LAST character of both players or should the time run out with equal stock on the last character of both players, it will simply be counted as a tie between the two players (neither will earn a set win, 0 stock remaining for both).

Should the time run out, each player will simultaneously lose one stock each until both characters are eliminated or one character is the victor with more stocks.

EXAMPLES FOR SINGLES:
example said:
Overswarm plays Kiest in his pool
Overswarm secretly picks Mario, Peach, and Bowser. He stars Peach.
Kiest secretly picks Wolf, Fox, and Falco. He stars Fox.

They then show their characters to one another and stage strike from the starters and play Peach vs. Fox.

Kiest wins with 2 stock left. Kiest then lowers his personal stock to 2 while leaving the primary stock count to 4.

Overswarm picks Bowser and takes Kiest to a stage of his choosing. Overswarm wins with 3 stock remaining.

Kiest then picks another character and the process repeats itself until Kiest is left with Wolf with 2 stocks and Overswarm has no characters left to pick. Kiest then WINS with TWO STOCK REMAINING, which will be put into the pool sheet as "+2". Overswarm will receive a "0", signifying that he lost the set.
Crews

Draft crews will be decided by 1st and 2nd from singles. Second place in singles will get first pick, then 1st place, so on and so forth.

There will be 4 stocks per player, 8 minute time limit (2 minute per stock). The stock count / time may be lowered by the TO's call based on time and player amount so that it doesn't take forever.

In the interest of sanity, only starter stages will be used in the crew battle and any stage can be used any number of times.

General Rules (for all tournaments)
All Setups must run the most recent version of Project M.

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties result in both characters being eliminated
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), both players will lose those characters.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Overswarm's stupid rule: You cannot counterpick a stage that has been played before in that set, period.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "1331" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Singles | Starters [9 stages]
- Smashville
- (Frozen) Pokemon Stadium 2
- Battlefield
- Dreamland 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island: Brawl
-Metal Cavern

Singles | Counterpick: [11 stages]
- Green Hill Zone
- Dracula's Castle
- Skyworld
- Wario Ware
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Skyloft
- Rumble Falls
- Battleship Halberd
-Norfair
-Jungle
-Castle Siege
Page2:
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Frigate Orpheon
-Port Town Aero Dive
-Delfino Plaza
-Lylat Cruise
-Pictochat
-Jungle Japes

"Excuse me, I can't help but notice I hate (stage name) and it happens to be on your list. You're an idiot for not seeing as I do, what gives?"

I'm not going to pigeonhole Project M. All of the stages there are meant to be there until proven guilty within the confines or Project M. Stages may be added or removed in time.

If you think a stage is broken for reason X or reason Y, show me by doing it in the tournament! If it results in too degenerate gameplay or is such a heavy-handed counter-pick across the board that it is impossible to really deal with for any reasonably matched players, it will be removed post-tournament and you'll win money by coasting through the tournament!

Pool rules:
Pools will be divided and chosen by Overswarm. The number that advances to a new pool is determined by how many entrants show up, so I can't really tell you in advance.

Each pool will play their 3 character iron man set and record a "0" (for no stock remaining) or "+#" for how many stock you have remaining. For example, if you have won your set with a Fox with 2 stock and an unused Jigglypuff, you would write +6.

Advancing is determined by SET WINS (number of non 0 stock remaining), then STOCK REMAINING, then HEAD TO HEAD.

So you could have +8 on all your victories, but if someone else won every set with +1, they'd still be ahead of you. Sets first, stock remaining second. We just care about winning, not how badly!

The tournament will be finished with one final pool, with top 4 getting money.

In the result of a 3-way-tie, set wins then stock remaining from previous pools will be added to determine the victor.

In the result of there being no previous pools or the stock remaining from them not breaking the tie breaker, a one character, 4 stock rematch on a starter stage chosen by stage striking will occur.

If THAT doesn't break the tie, then stock remaining will choose the victor.

If that STILL doesn't break the tie, there is witchcraft afoot and Overswarm will come up with something on the fly.
[/collapse]

Special Notes:
The Kiest pays no venue fee and gets free entry to one event of his choosing if he ever attends for being a midwestern hero and really, really good at Contra.

If you are under 18, you must obtain parental consent. This is a private residence and your parents deserve to know this. If they would like to contact me, send me a PM with a phone number and a time I can call and I will contact them. If I find out you are hiding this from your parents, you will not be allowed to stay at the venue. I know a lot of parents that wouldn't want their kid hanging out in a private residence of a stranger and if your parents fit that description than you are out of luck.

No one will be allowed to drink alcohol on the premises during the tournament if anyone under 21 is present; post-tournament I'm okay with light drinking as long as you don't get crazy and are over 21.

I have a puppy, her name is Lucca. She is a small dog and harmless, but if you are allergic there isn't much we can do but vacuum before you attend. She may bother you while you are playing, in which case I will laugh at you and remind you that there are no puppy johns allowed.

If you'd like to play a board game, card game, or non-Project M video game (whether Melee, Brawl, mario party, whatever) this is more than welcome as long as the maximum number of Project M setups are being used to make the tournament move quickly. Post-tournament I'd like to have at least one set up per 4 people playing Project M for one-and-out friendlies if possible.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Reserved.

If you are interested I need Project M setups.

I currently have only one Wii with Project M, but have 5 TVs we can use. Just need Project M and a Wii for a decent amount of setups for a small event, but more TVs/Project M setups are welcome.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Sadly this is my sister's birthday, so I will not be able to go to this one.

Shoutouts to 4th place money back payouts.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sadly this is my sister's birthday, so I will not be able to go to this one.

Shoutouts to 4th place money back payouts.
Bring your sister?

Also, while this date works for me I am listing it as tentative until I hear from a few people. If it turns out it is everyone's sister's birthday I won't want to host in on that day and may change it. Just let me know.

SoulPech

Smash Master
My sister and I are twins. My birthday is July 19th, but I won't be able to go because it's my sister's birthday.

Seriously though, I do have an interest...maybe get some Cbus ppl coming. can we bring other games?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My sister and I are twins. My birthday is July 19th, but I won't be able to go because it's my sister's birthday.

Seriously though, I do have an interest...maybe get some Cbus ppl coming. can we bring other games?
Other games could be played, but I'd be doing Project M only until the Project M tournament is finished (draft crews would only take one TV for obvious reasons). I'd love to have Cbus en masse.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Other games could be played, but I'd be doing Project M only until the Project M tournament is finished (draft crews would only take one TV for obvious reasons). I'd love to have Cbus en masse.
i was referring to like Mario Party, Mario Kart, or even some Pokemon Puzzle League.

anyways, if we come we would need housing.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i was referring to like Mario Party, Mario Kart, or even some Pokemon Puzzle League.

anyways, if we come we would need housing.
Fine by me. I have Pokemon Puzzle league on my wii and have a large plethora of games, including mario party and like 3 versions of mario kart. You will not be without games here.

While this is a tournament, it's going to be much more like a smashfest / hangout.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Is this :ike: banned?

:phone:
Not at all. I'd love to see someone come in and destroy everyone with Ike though. If we could prove he is too powerful with some consistent tournament and video evidence it would be good for the developers.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Everyone should stop saying "can't make it to this one" and tell me when I should host the next one, because it looks like this one would only be people directly around here + Columbus, assuming Columbus could go. I'm fine with that, but wouldn't hurt to know what dates people CAN make it.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm gonna try to go! Depends on how my dad feels about it lol. Will be certain next week though!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm gonna try to go! Depends on how my dad feels about it lol. Will be certain next week though!

K, just lemme know. I haven't heard back from some of KY / Columbus yet so I'm not sure how many will be available for the whole event. If not enough show up then it can always just be a project M smashfest.

Do you have a Wii/Brawl setup you could bring and an SD card for project M?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
If I bring anything, it'd have to be on a hard drive. Wii disc-reader broke. I could easily get Project M on that hard drive, though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If I bring anything, it'd have to be on a hard drive. Wii disc-reader broke. I could easily get Project M on that hard drive, though.

As long as you have a project M setup, that works for me! :)

I have several CRT TVs and a big ol' LED TV, but only one Wii. My disc drive broke too, but I just took it apart and frankensteined it to get it to work.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well, I'll keep talking to Pech + Columbus. As soon as we can say yay/nay, I'll let you know, OS.
Good! I'll be here regardless, but I'd like to be able to play a lot of project M with a lot of different people.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
sora and i will more than likely be here, but probably just for friendlies. we won't be getting back from our trip until ~3 pm or so on saturday.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Cool to me. The purpose of these is just to encourage project M and get info faster about characters/stages, the more the merrier.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Looks like this first one was too short notice for a lot of people, so I'm just going to be running this one as a smashfest; too many people will only be able to be here for a limited time for it to be worth as a tournament. I'll keep using this thread for updates for the next one, so if anyone has any ideas for a date let me know.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
16th sounds good. Could serve as a nice, casual warmup to Chi's tournament.

I'm going to try to go to Athens on the 9th, so that's a no-go for me.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
May try and make it to the next one, depending on what time of day or the date. Every third Saturday of the month for the next few months, I have to do service for school. Earliest I could show up on the 16th is unfortunately like 2-3 ish :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
March 16th for the next one. Someone let me know ASAP if it is a bad date.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Iron Man, should be fun.

Could you elaborate on the rules for CPing? Does the winner show the character he will use before or after bans? EDIT: Re-read the rules, they state what the order is. Will there be bans for each character switch?

EDIT: Also, could we review OS's Stupid Rule? If I lose on a stage, I might want to CP the stage depending on the character switch.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS stupid rule might change later, but I want to keep it intact for a while.

The idea behind these for now is to get people to try new characters and stages; if it turns out that Metal Cavern and SSE Jungle are hugely polarizing stages I'd rather not have people going back to them in the same set. There's enough stages available to where you should be able to find an advantage of equal strength and, if there isn't, that might be something the PM crew might want to address.

There'll just be one stage ban for the set.

I know the iron man / stage rules don't make for a perfect competitive event but they do allow for more variety, which is mostly what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom