• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming social anxiety...

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Alright, I have social anxiety (the degree is unkwown), and would like to know tips and ways of overcoming this.

I mean, I have friends from when before I had this, but it is near impossible to make new friends, and especially get a girlfriend. It also compromises my chance of getting good jobs, as I am too afraid to have interviews, etc.

I have a job, and want to quit, but I cannot, as I do not know how to approach my boss. Functioning in social situaitons is VERY hard for me, when it is simply a normal situation for most others.

So, in general, what are some good ways of overcoming this?

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Get off the internet an go talk to someone in your real world about this, I dont know why you would come to a games forum looking for serious advice about something like this.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I'd like to get your input. It's quite simple. I have talked to people irl about this.

I was also wondering if anyone has gone through something similar.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Social anxiety? That's a fancy word for shy.

I am pretty shy myself (well not really, I just don't like talking to people randomly) but most of the time, people come up to me and talk to me. So I usually get friends because they came up to me.

I would say, just become somebody that is approachable. Don't single yourself out and turn into somebody nobody wants to have anything to do with. Or gather up your balls and break the ice with somebody.

Also, holding people at gun point and forcing them to befriend you works pretty well.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Okay well look I dont have this at all but it seems like it could be that you just lack confidence in yourself, making friends is not that hard just strike up a casual conversation(w/ like people at work or school not random people in the street lol) this could lead to a girlfriend to just dont be weird keep it calm, cool an collected.

You want to quit your job, ok then quit. I dunno you could just go over why you dont feel you want to continue working there an tell it to your boss just go over it at home or ask someone to help you out w/ presenting your reason the right way.

dunno if that helps but yeah its all I got :/

Giggidax

Smash Ace
toecutter i know wat ur goin thru, i myself have problems similar to urs. like being in a social environment with a group of people (especially if u dont know them) feels very weird, and u kinda wish u werent there. instead ud wanna be alone somewhere more comfortable. but at the same time u wanna be social and make friends and talk to people.

man it sux i know how u feel, ive found myself wanting to make new friends but ive only had a couple conversations with them and then from here on out i jus clam up and cant think of wat to say or do. i keep thinking that it shouldnt be so complicated all i wanna do is socialize but wat would i talk about? i get nervous. its very weird, responde back i wanna know if this kind of experience is wat ur talking about

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Ok thanks. Also, Kenny, a lot of people say it's just "shyness", I really don't think so.

It's actually a medical term, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety

I fit most of those things. =/

EDIT:

Yeah, Giggi, I know what you mean. I want to be social, etc. But then when faced with the situation, it's the last place I want to be...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Oh, and your boss. Tell him straight-up that you want to quit. He can't do anything to you. If he is one of those 1 in a million bosses that will kick your a** for quitting, bring a bat with you before you tell him. Then hit him in the nuts with it. He'll understand where you're coming from and will probably see you off with a smile. Or he may lay down for a while. Don't worry, this is a normal response.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
if u wanna quit ur job than just go up to ur boss, and say I QUIT! wat is he gonna do? cry or scold u for it? tell him for watever reason it is that u wanna quit and leave it at that. hes not gonna say like "omfg if u quit i call the police on joo wtf!" but really wats bothering u about telling ur boss u wanna quit

EDIT::

omg toecutter i guess its official me and u have social anxiety lol. but man do u remember wat it was like before u had it like back in the day. im just wondering why cant i be not nervous when talking to new people. thats something ive been trying to figure out for awhile lol its confusing

Peeze

Smash Master
Also, holding people at gun point and forcing them to
befriend you works pretty well.
Not if your a minority, then they just taze you.

Here's a good tip if your shy: Plan out possible conversations. Practice something to say and some possible things that they'll say back to you, and your response in turn. Yeah it sounds dorky, but it works trust me.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Or you could just be "yourself." Try to hold your head higher and tell yourself that it doesn't really matter if you slip a bit while talking to your boss.

I've seen some of your posts and I know that you have a sense of humor; use it to your advantage. Crack a few jokes every now and then to lighten up the atmosphere.

I hope that helps.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
hey toecutter i was just listening to music and i thought of some advice for u that i learned from experience.

try not to let the social anxiety bother u too much becuase if that happens then basically, social anxiety leads to depression. and u will end up not wanting to live due to social anxiety and then ur train of thought will be all centered towards ur social anxiety. its really mentally hazardous to have social anxiety. but jus remember that u definitely can kick SAD and its definitely not permanent.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
...ask yourself "Why the hell do I care?"

You care way too much about how people see you. You don't want to look ********, or look too crazy. You want to remain as neutral as possible. You don't want people to know you as "That guy who ______". Just completely neutral.

...maybe I'm wrong, but that usually sums it up.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think I have this problem, I normally have trouble talking to new people because of it. It's pretty hard to express yourself when you have this because you're worried about what people will say when you express yourself.

People say I show almost no emotion in certain scenarios, like when I tell a joke or say/hear something slightly disturbing that should normally freak someone out.

I guess I only show emotion when I'm in a 'safe zone' [which would be around good friends, certain family members].

P.S. I have a slight stutter [I don't know where the **** it came from :angry:] so that doesn't help matters, as a matter of fact, that's the main part of the problem [even though the stuttering is not that bad].

Matt

Banned via Administration
Sometimes I stutter or trail off or combine words or significantly lower my volume in social settings, and I don't even realize it until after the fact. Yeah, fear of embarrassment, maybe. Or fear of no one caring or understanding what I'm saying, most likely.

It's very difficult to overcome. I have to make a conscious effort to enunciate clearly when I'm in a social setting that I know I don't fit into. Strangely, I tend to be MORE confident around people I don't know, because to me there's nothing at stake.

Also, love thyself. And remember what others love about you. My deadpan wry humor usually connects with people--unless they're too ******** to know what a joke is.

Okay, my humor connects with very very few people.

Um.

Don't take advice from me.

cF=)

Smash Lord
There's no shy people in Mattland anyway...

On topic, I myself have experienced this for quite some years after entering high school. At first, it sucks to not be able to speak to anybody because sometimes it just doesn't connect. Just try to seek groups which as the same interests as you do, and your anxiety will lower because people will understand and have fun discussing with you... that's how I've beated my anxiety.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
Sometimes I stutter or trail off or combine words or significantly lower my volume in social settings, and I don't even realize it until after the fact. Yeah, fear of embarrassment, maybe. Or fear of no one caring or understanding what I'm saying, most likely.

It's very difficult to overcome. I have to make a conscious effort to enunciate clearly when I'm in a social setting that I know I don't fit into. Strangely, I tend to be MORE confident around people I don't know, because to me there's nothing at stake.

Also, love thyself. And remember what others love about you. My deadpan wry humor usually connects with people--unless they're too ******** to know what a joke is.

Okay, my humor connects with very very few people.

Um.

Don't take advice from me.
Same exact thing with me. :( Probably not to that degree, but I do have trouble talking sometimes, and very few people get my sense of humor (in school at least). In the smash community, it connects with more people, fortunately.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, remember this saying:

He who laughs first thinks fastest.

I laugh a lot so I guess I think faster and get more jokes. I also see stuff coming [like someone wants to fight or pull a prank] a helluva a lot faster than people do.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
well i had this, but i got over it.
to get over shyness, just be more friendly (duh~) it doesnt matter if you be friendly to someone you dont know, cause you dont know them yet lol.

get used to saying hi (waving hi) to any ramdom person on the street, laughing at something with another person you dont know (ironically common in ny) and see where it goes. friends make friends from the wierdest places. just dont make the wrong ones.
so, good luck.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
My stupid friend is trying to hook me up with this girl I don't know and she's not attractive to me [he's attracted to her physically but I don't see anything to be attracted to] which just complicates everything.

Now she thinks I like her [I swear I'm gonna get my friend for this] so I'll have to break the bad news to her >.<

P.S. this is related to my SA.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Get Matt-naked and run across the street. That should do it.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
My stupid friend is trying to hook me up with this girl I don't know and she's not attractive to me [he's attracted to her physically but I don't see anything to be attracted to] which just complicates everything.

Now she thinks I want butsecks with her so I'll have to break the bad news to her >.<

P.S. this is related to my SA.
You post is fix'd.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol, that sounds like something my friends would want to do with her, but not me, I think they need glasses.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
...ask yourself "Why the hell do I care?"

You care way too much about how people see you. You don't want to look ********, or look too crazy. You want to remain as neutral as possible. You don't want people to know you as "That guy who ______". Just completely neutral.

...maybe I'm wrong, but that usually sums it up.
(See above)

Also I'VE GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA........
Embrace it. So what if you're wierd? You're Toecutter. That's what makes you you, that's how you role and whatnot

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I talk during class, but I'm quite during lunch.

I talk during the night, but I'm quite right before or after school.

I still don't know why. It makes it odd, because some people I only see during lunch think that I never talk, ever, and people who I have classes with sometimes think I never shut up. I wonder what'll happen when they meet each other.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
I talk during class, but I'm quite during lunch.

I talk during the night, but I'm quite right before or after school.

I still don't know why. It makes it odd, because some people I only see during lunch think that I never talk, ever, and people who I have classes with sometimes think I never shut up. I wonder what'll happen when they meet each other.
im the total opposite, but it really depends on who im with. if im with friends that i known for awhile then ill talk to them cuz like i know them and i feel like it wont matter if i say something stupid that doesnt make sense.

in class im quiet, mostly because none of my long known friends are in there. i talk in lunch because my friends are there. but if they wernt then id be pretty quiet trying to say little things here and there jus to help myself look social.
from experience i found myself to loosen up around people after ive been around them for about 3 years. lol i found this out while i was back in middle school. up untill 8th grade i was quiet and then i opened up like i was the most talkative guy in school. but its back to being shy and quiet now that im in 10th. hopefully next year ill see the result as i did in middle school lawl

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
It makes it odd, because some people I only see during lunch think that I never talk, ever, and people who I have classes with sometimes think I never shut up. I wonder what'll happen when they meet each other.
Yeah, same with me. Except the idiots who see me being quiet, convinced everyone else I am so. Even when I am being loud, they laugh, etc, but soon go back to thinking I'm quiet. :confused:

Spirithawk

Smash Apprentice
Do something you don't normally do that will connect you with other people, instead of doing things you normally do. Like playing video games. Instead, join a sports team. If you suck, do rec sports if your school has them. Or do a play. Join a club. This is especially easy if you're in college.

Ah, crap, I sound like a cheesy psychologist.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I have the same issue, except it's probably worse in my case than yours. . .I have mild depression/obsessive compulsive disorder, and on top of the whole antisocial/lack of self-esteem thing, mild paranoia tends to settle in once in a while. Yeah, I got problems.

First off, you want to figure out where your antisocial behavior stems from. Mine comes from the fact that I'm absolutely TERRIFIED that people will just reject me if I make some kind of social related mistake (i.e. stutter, mix up words, say the wrong thing, whatever). I don't know if you have the same issue, but usually knowing what the problem is helps.

Next, spend more time with people who share similar interests with you, and HANG ON TO THAT SLIM LINK LIKE GRIM DEATH. For myself, I used to NEVER talk with people, ever. . .I'd respond with monosyllabic grunts. After I started Smashing competitively and seeking people out for better competition, I found that I could relate to these people (sort of), and strike up a decent conversation with them (sort of; it tended to be Smash-related, of course).

In time, I realized 2 things: first that having a common interest with these guys made social communication much easier, and secondly (and most important) they weren't as judgmental and prone to rejecting others as I feared they would be. In fact, I realized that the fears I had in my mind were completely blown out of proportion.

Eventually, I picked up more interests (namely Photoshopping, guitar, and working out at the gym), and that helped me to relate to a lot more people. Conversations that were once limited to those specific interests eventually expanded, so that communication--and eventually friendship--became possible. Heck, one of my best friends is somone I met only a year ago, but we became friends mostly because I bugged him about Photoshop stuff and guitar. :laugh:

That's what happened to me. And I'm not completely cured, but I'm a hell of a lot more social than what I was before. So basically, in a nutshell:

1) Be proactive about seeking out other people, no matter how terrifying it may be.

2) Antisocial behavior usually stems from fear of rejection. . .if that's the case with you, realize that the fear in your mind is exaggerated and unrealistic.

3) Choose an area of interest, and seek other people out with similar interests--it'll give you the social experience you need and the interaction will build your confidence.

4) Start getting involved in more things so you can relate to more people in different areas--art, music, sports, anime/manga, videogames, whatever; you'll meet and interact with more people.

5) At this point, you should be a lot better off than you were at step 1). You should now find a girl and get laid.

Okay, I was joking about the last part of 5). But you get the point. Hopefully all that should help you a little. I know that it sort of worked for me. The problems are still there, of course. . .but working through the above stuff should get you on the right track.

Plus, a tip: if you want to keep a conversation going, just repeat the last thing that a person said in the form of a question. Example:

Talkative Person: So yeah, I saw 300 yesterday, and the visuals were awesome.
Toecutter: The visuals were awesome?
Talkative Person: Yep. It's all CG stuff, and they made these really weird brown/blue tones. It looks just like the grapic novel.
Toecutter: The graphic novel?
Talkative Person: Yeah. 300 is actually based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller. He's the guy responsible for the Batman graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns.

. . .like so. Obviously, you can't use this trick too often, because people will start to notice. But it'll help you out of some tight spots. ;)

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Do something you don't normally do that will connect you with other people, instead of doing things you normally do. Like playing video games. Instead, join a sports team. If you suck, do rec sports if your school has them. Or do a play. Join a club. This is especially easy if you're in college.
1. I HARDLY play Videogames anymore.
2. I was in clubs, did nothing to help.

Also, to above guy, I knew 300 was a graphic novel, geez. :mad:

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I advise you never to overdo something to the point where it's basically your whole relationship with someone. Because you WILL run out of stuff to discuss on that subject. Please dont talk about cars so much, only to find you have nothing else in common. Then, whenever you pass by in the hallway, there's a tense moment.

This happened to me with some underclassman. We had our little joke we did when we walked by each other. Eventually, both of us got bored of it. I hate seeing her walking alone down the hall when I am alone too. It's just awkard.

Speaking of 300. I walked into the middle of a noisy room and asked in a loud voice, "Who saw 300?" Instant conversation starter. Unless your school is filled with Persians.

Top Bottom