• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming obstacles

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Now I'm faced with a difficulty. I used to be a casual player, then started playing more seriously when I'd met some friends who did. I've become many many times better, although I'm still not as good as the ones I play with. The worst problem however, is not the skill gap.

I can play against other players who are better or equal to my friends, and still do better than when I play my friends.

Because the thing is, they've been around when I learned to play the game seriously, especially one of them, and because of this, they know how I play way to well, and this is difficult for me to get past. Even when I add something new to my game, it's still only that one thing, and they adapt to it rather fast. This is especially true for my friend whom I play most often, not only because I play him most often, but he's also a player who lives off reading people.

How do I get people out of my head!?

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I've come across a similar issue with my friends and have found something that works pretty well. Try adhering to a play style (a personality, if you will) for the first little bit of the match and bait your friend into playing a certain way. Once they get comfortable, completely change your play style and try to catch them off guard. In other words, reward them for making certain decisions at first, them punish them brutally for making the same decisions later in the match.

For instance, I typically play a defensive style and try and use bombs and gales in conjunction with arrow cancels to force approaches. Once they have adapted to dodging multiple flying objects and are able to get in, I change to aggressive style and am almost always able to pull off large combos. (One I like to do a lot: spot dodge their attack, down tilt, then full hop (as they undoubtedly air dodge or tech) and pull out a bomb, double jump (as they Usmash), downthrow, then immediately downair with fast fall, catching them in an inescapable 31% combo that usually takes a stock.) At this point I force them to be on the defensive until they start seeing my approaches, at which point I'll switch back to defensive.

It doesn't have to be offensive vs. defensive, either. Try controlling the fight based on location. Stay heavy and fixed in one spot, repelling their attacks with spot dodges/punishes, then bait them onto platforms and shark them, then take them to the edge and dogfight. Whatever you do, get creative and control the fight.

On a different note, since your friend knows your play styles so well, it may be good for you two to try 2vs2 against other people. His/her in depth knowledge of how you play should help them compliment you perfectly in a teams match.

-CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Thank you for answering! I'll definately try to think more about this. It's of course as always easier said than done though.

I'm not generally one for team matchs. But what you're suggesting could be interesting. I might give that a try.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
No problem! And yes, execution is always the hardest part; just remember to be creative and flexible.

If you do try a doubles with your friend be sure to post how it goes!

Top Bottom