• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Outplayed by great Lucario, tell me what I'm doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Recorded match below. This was our second match; the first he 2-0'd me, and that was the first time that's ever happened online. I clearly got outplayed, any tips/suggestions? Obviously don't Quick Draw into his shield so much, that's just a bad habit from playing online where 99% of the time I wait out their shield and punish them when they drop it.

Thanks for any and all comments :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I would say play more defensively, and wait out Lucario's attacks until he draws near, Don't be afraid to try in lure him into a counter especially at higher percents, where Lucario is at its most dangerous. Besides the QD thing you addressed try mixing up your moves as you started becoming predictable. I would use your tilts a little more often like Side and Down as they were buffed a little, and I didn't see this Lucario above you that much for Up tilt to be useful., though.

Kevbot34

Smash Rookie
I'd say use more aerials. His are faster, but your fair has amazing range. There were a few times I saw you use nair when a fair might have been better placed. Also, don't be scared to fight off stage a bit! You're heavier than him, and with the new ledge grabbing, you won't lose to grab it.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Thanks, that actually helped a lot! I've been getting tons of surprise hits with dtilt; the buffed speed surprises everyone. \

I'd say use more aerials. His are faster, but your fair has amazing range. There were a few times I saw you use nair when a fair might have been better placed. Also, don't be scared to fight off stage a bit! You're heavier than him, and with the new ledge grabbing, you won't lose to grab it.
Is it just me, or does fair's range seem nerfed compared to Brawl? But alright, fighting offstage - you mean well-placed fairs, dairs, etc. Anything more specific?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Fair range was nerfed, but it's faster (above him at least). Lucario's aerials were nerfed in range even more, and some attacks with aura are half range of what they appear to be. Outside of a few moves, Ike generally outranges Lucario comparatively easier than Brawl.

Kevbot34

Smash Rookie
No, not anything really specific, just to try and follow in the air after him more. With kill moves lacking this game, and edge guarding removed, battles are going to be decided by aerials near the end of stages, I think. At least from the few pro streams and tournaments. I've watched they have been. That said, you played well. Just watched it again and it was a pretty intense game, haha

Last edited:

Pebbicle

Smash Cadet
Goodness, I play a lot with Lucario but I absolutely despise when people spam Aura Sphere. Not only does it become predictable after a while, but sometimes it even works in their favor, which is frustrating as it doesn't require any skill.

Another thing I dislike is when people shield your attack only to grab you afterwards. I know this is part of the game, but since I often play very aggressively I often get punished for my playstyle which I really can't change :p

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Recorded match below. This was our second match; the first he 2-0'd me, and that was the first time that's ever happened online. I clearly got outplayed, any tips/suggestions? Obviously don't Quick Draw into his shield so much, that's just a bad habit from playing online where 99% of the time I wait out their shield and punish them when they drop it.

Thanks for any and all comments :)
As a frequent QD user myself, I'll go ahead and focus on that part.

It's really best when used to punish landings when the opponent is too far away. The way you were using it was more of a mindgame kind of style where you needed them to drop the shield, but you never actually waited for the shield drop. If you're going to commit to QD like that, commit to it; you can hold it out forever. Then you can see how your opponent reacts to situations like that (Shield, spot dodge, jump, rolls, attack, most of which will be punishible through your QD.)

Aside from that, you looked a little too reliant on the Jab, Jab 2, Jab 3 combo. There were quite a few times where a D-tilt would have been the better choice.

Also needs more B-Air, that move is still one of Ike's best imo.

Hope this post helps your Ike :)

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Great advice from all.

snip

Aside from that, you looked a little too reliant on the Jab, Jab 2, Jab 3 combo. There were quite a few times where a D-tilt would have been the better choice.

Also needs more B-Air, that move is still one of Ike's best imo.
Watching the match again and then some other high-level Ike play; you're completely right on the d-tilt. It's a great move I need to train myself to use over mindless Jab mashing.

With B-airs, do any good situational applications come to mind? Using B-airs as an approach, as a spacing tool...etc? I do know everytime I've tried it as a punish falling down onto them, I get punished, so that's not a good one.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Great advice from all.

Watching the match again and then some other high-level Ike play; you're completely right on the d-tilt. It's a great move I need to train myself to use over mindless Jab mashing.

With B-airs, do any good situational applications come to mind? Using B-airs as an approach, as a spacing tool...etc? I do know everytime I've tried it as a punish falling down onto them, I get punished, so that's not a good one.
I've been mostly using it when I'm the one getting chased, or just as a mixup. I guess there aren't too many situations that really scream "USE B-AIR", but you'll just have to keep your eyes open for it.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
I think you could also stand to sprinkle a counter here and there. Sometimes I saw the Lucario being really aggressive, especially with Extremespeed. You could throw out a counter just to force him back to being defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom