• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
Hi Snake board I have a question.

So apparently we can't run through shielding opponent is it the same with tech rolls ?

Cause if we can't that means the opponent only have two options after D-throw if Snake is shielding and one of them is gonna get punished.

I know we can't re-grab but that could be a guaranted C4 or better pressure game if that's the case.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It depends on the situation when Snake pins them in a corner with Down Throw.

Either the opponent rolls to the other side, in which Snake can easily lead with an Utilt or C4 stick, they tech it or they just stay in the same spot. Doesn't change the fact that Snake has the advantage in every scenario. Utilt and C4 are extremely easy to use in these scenarios as they lead to kills (Utilt, C4 splosion) or a C4 stick, which while it gets the opponent escaping room, they will forever have to worry about the C4 wether Snake detonates it or not because it will eventually go off.

Zoneyboi

Smash Rookie
So is the C4 project m now? I haven't seen it fall off or be transferred to Snake in the gameplay I've watched, though most don't try to stick.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
So, Palutena’s Guidance is confirmed to back in Ultimate. I wonder what this means for Snake’s Codecs? Many people think they probably not coming back. So, at least we get some interactions with him, Pit, and Palutena, similar to the guidance on Robin where they and Viridi interact with Chrom back in Smash 4?

Nintendo Life had mentioned that they did not return.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/palutenas_guidance_to_return_in_super_smash_bros_ultimate

Viridi sounds a bit different.
Did someone upload Snake's guidance? Maybe there's a nod to codecs.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So dataminers have started working on Ultimate, and about Metal Gear music
All the songs from Brawl are back (YES CALLING TO THE NIGHT AND LOVE THEME) with the sole exception of the original version of Solid Snake's Theme from MG2, which instead got a brand new remix.
So besides the songs from Brawl we have 3 new songs:
The new Snake Eater remix teased on the site:

The before mentioned Theme of Solid Snake remix

And the third and last new song is simply called "Peace Walker", but I couldn't find it yet to know if it is a remix, a medley or the main theme from that game.
EDIT: Apparently it is the version of the main theme from MGSV

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm disappointed that there's no Metal Gear Rising music, but it's still good to see Metal Gear getting some new content instead of just importing stuff from Brawl plus the remix of Snake Eater.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
So, datamining confirmed the Codecs are indeed back. However, ONLY the Brawl ones.

What do you guys think?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, datamining confirmed the Codecs are indeed back. However, ONLY the Brawl ones.

What do you guys think?
It's a shame that there's no new ones, but it's better than none at all.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

What do you guys think?
It's better than nothing I guess, but I hope they might be waiting the DLC characters in order to make new ones.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It’s great that they brought back most of the music from Brawl along with a few new ones.

As for the Codecs, it’s a shame there’s no new ones but it is something I guess.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I'm underwhelmed and disappointed at the lack of ambition shown with the Metal Gear stuff. It's better than nothing and the new MG2 theme remix is good but I was hoping for at least more ported tracks.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So about Snake's Palutena's Guidance...

It's incredibly generic. They just talk about his explosives and that's it. It's really dumb. You'd think they'd at least have Otacon or Snake himself interject. Especially when you consider the fact that the Guidances are codec rip offs. Hell, they're inferior. I really hate how we got new guidances but not Codecs. The Guidances are mostly cringy or lame, with a few gems here and there.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So about Snake's Palutena's Guidance...

It's incredibly generic. They just talk about his explosives and that's it. It's really dumb. You'd think they'd at least have Otacon or Snake himself interject. Especially when you consider the fact that the Guidances are codec rip offs. Hell, they're inferior. I really hate how we got new guidances but not Codecs. The Guidances are mostly cringy or lame, with a few gems here and there.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Palutena's Guidance myself. Not only the make less sense (Pit, unlike Snake, is a Nintendo character, why would he need extra intel on other Nintendo characters?) but their joke are mostly "Pit says something stupid, Palutena says the reasonable things, Viridi is just a jerk". Heck the Mega Man one is just them shouting the names of his moves, the most boring and lame idea I've ever seen.
I get that since there were Guidances for 58 characters out of the 74 in Ultimate, while Codecs were only for 37 characters, and that Roy Campbell was retired after the passing of his Japanese VA, completing the line up of Huidances was a lot easier, but still I would have liked to see more effort in the writing.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Odd to see that they have new Palutena's guidence for every character but not new codecs. They probably could replace Roy with Raiden.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Correct. C4 has been buffed in the regards that it doesn't fall off as easily (mainly that it no longer falls off after being hit with a high KB move).

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
It took me a while to see it drop without specifically testing for it. Had to place it then walk away for like 30 seconds. Just hitting enemy around won't do it.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Since the game is going to be out in just under 10 days I will be hitting up the competitive analysis thread: Snake's Virtual Reality Training Center, in the future. If I can get in touch with PapaJ PapaJ I hope I can rearrange some of the thread to better incorporate the data. If not I'll update my findings in that thread.

When all is said and done I hope we can get some solid frames data and combos out of that thread. Also! You should totally head over to our brother forum for Simon/Richter if you're interested. I plan on doing the same kind of analysis on those 2 as well.

So, this is it Diamond Dogs! For me it is 1 AM on November the 28th which means we are about 9 Days away from finally getting to play as our Legendary Soldier again. After 10 years no less!

Let's do a countdown for old time's sake. And remember how far we've come since Brawl! Feel free to share any and all Metal Gear or Smash memories you have in the lead up, my friends!

9 DAYS LEFT

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
One thing that was great about this speculation cycle was that every Nintendo Direct, we didn’t have to cross our fingers hoping for a Snake reveal like we did during Smash 4. We just knew off the bat. And that was great.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ecstatic.

That's my one word to describe my reaction to Snake's reveal at E3. When I saw the number appearing next to each fighters' names, I had a feeling that would happen. Afterwards, I wondered how the naysayers responded to that knowing he made his triumphant return.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The moment everyone was returning pretty much meant everything afterwards would be gravy to me. IC and Snake were the characters who's absence I felt missing the most in 4, and I was hoping dlc for that game would correct that, but alas. So yeah, safe to say I am super happy with what we did get. It's been 5 years since I last played Brawl, so I've been eager to try out Snake once again.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Snake basically sold Ultimate's idea: Everyone is here!

Seeing him back made me incredibly happy. Smash Bros was the medium that introduced me to Metal Gear and it was bummed that he didn't come back in Smash 4. But now he's back and he'll be tied for my most used character alongside Link and maybe Chrom.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Just for fun I went through all of Snake's codec conversations in Brawl to find out which ones are/may be newly outdated in Ultimate:

Bowser (said to be slow by both Snake and Campbell, which really isn't the case anymore.)
Diddy Kong? (Mentions how Peanut Popgun's ammo sometimes leave behind the edible fruit. This wasn't the case in for, dunno about Ultimate.)
Jigglypuff ("Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl".)
Olimar? (Mei Ling specifically mentions Olimar, but what if a player is using an Alph alt?)
Sheik (Mentions Zelda transforming into Sheik, but they are separate characters in Ultimate.)
Sonic ("Do you have any idea how excited people are that he's here in Brawl?")
Toon Link (Very nitpicky, but Mei Ling mentions how all Links are known for wearing green clothes. This was subverted by BotW Link, who's iconic colour is blue, even if he has his own version of the green tunic.)
Zero Suit Samus (Mentions Samus taking her clothes off. Like Zelda and Sheik, Samus and ZSS are separate characters in Ultimate.)

Link's codec is a special case. Originally it mentions him wielding a clawshot, which is no longer the case in Ultimate. However, this part of the conversation has apparently been cut, so everything in it still stands.

As you can see, there's surprisingly few cases where the characters are spouting outdated information. As much as I would've liked to see new codecs, I'm happy that we at least got the old ones back.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Just for fun I went through all of Snake's codec conversations in Brawl to find out which ones are/may be newly outdated in Ultimate:

Bowser (said to be slow by both Snake and Campbell, which really isn't the case anymore.)
Diddy Kong? (Mentions how Peanut Popgun's ammo sometimes leave behind the edible fruit. This wasn't the case in for, dunno about Ultimate.)
Jigglypuff ("Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl".)
Olimar? (Mei Ling specifically mentions Olimar, but what if a player is using an Alph alt?)
Sheik (Mentions Zelda transforming into Sheik, but they are separate characters in Ultimate.)
Sonic ("Do you have any idea how excited people are that he's here in Brawl?")
Toon Link (Very nitpicky, but Mei Ling mentions how all Links are known for wearing green clothes. This was subverted by BotW Link, who's iconic colour is blue, even if he has his own version of the green tunic.)
Zero Suit Samus (Mentions Samus taking her clothes off. Like Zelda and Sheik, Samus and ZSS are separate characters in Ultimate.)

Link's codec is a special case. Originally it mentions him wielding a clawshot, which is no longer the case in Ultimate. However, this part of the conversation has apparently been cut, so everything in it still stands.

As you can see, there's surprisingly few cases where the characters are spouting outdated information. As much as I would've liked to see new codecs, I'm happy that we at least got the old ones back.
Also, is Bowser the heaviest fighter in the game with King K. Rool being present? It would make that portion of the codec outdated as well. In fact, even if he is the heaviest fighter, it ain't "by far" anymore because of King K. Rool, so it still is outdated. XD

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Bowser still seems to be the heaviest, outweighing K. Rool by 2 units. In Brawl he outweighed the 2nd heaviest fighter, DK, by 4 units, so yes, it isn't as "by far" as before.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
Also, is Bowser the heaviest fighter in the game with King K. Rool being present? It would make that portion of the codec outdated as well. In fact, even if he is the heaviest fighter, it ain't "by far" anymore because of King K. Rool, so it still is outdated. XD

Someone from Bowser board said that Bowser gained 5 unit of weight since Smash 4 (135 now) and is heavier than K Rool by 2 or was it 3 ?

So yes, Bowser is still the heaviest character in the game, King K being second.

EDIT : Whoosh, I got ninja'd.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
This my first time back on Smashboards in years! I was a major supporter of Snake back in the Smash 4 days. I would argue with anyone who said that Snake wasn't going to be in the game. I was really young and immature then, but now I'm much more mature now than my 2014 counterpart. Some of you may remember me although that's unlikely because it's been over four years since I've been on Smashboards. I'm so thrilled that we got the legendary mercenary back in a Smash Brothers game. I thought Smash 4 was a great game and had many great character additions, but every time I turn on the game I feel like something missing and you know what that something is. When I seen Shadow Moses Island and then Snake's stealth camouflage disengages to reveal himself I instantly started screaming to the top of my lungs and was very emotional. Solid Snake means a lot to me and I'm sure he means a lot to you guys as well. I'm looking forwards to playing against you Snake mains and I hope you guys can look forward to playing against me as well!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This my first time back on Smashboards in years! I was a major supporter of Snake back in the Smash 4 days. I would argue with anyone who said that Snake wasn't going to be in the game. I was really young and immature then, but now I'm much more mature now than my 2014 counterpart. Some of you may remember me although that's unlikely because it's been over four years since I've been on Smashboards. I'm so thrilled that we got the legendary mercenary back in a Smash Brothers game. I thought Smash 4 was a great game and had many great character additions, but every time I turn on the game I feel like something missing and you know what that something is. When I seen Shadow Moses Island and then Snake's stealth camouflage disengages to reveal himself I instantly started screaming to the top of my lungs and was very emotional. Solid Snake means a lot to me and I'm sure he means a lot to you guys as well. I'm looking forwards to playing against you Snake mains and I hope you guys can look forward to playing against me as well!
I remember you fondly Skyfox. Always good to see an old friend and supporter back on the boards after some time. And what a time to come back. HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss is back as well. cmbsfm cmbsfm , Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , LIQUID12A LIQUID12A . And so many more. We made a damn good team. Enough to get Snake "back by popular demand". I made some amazing friends here, including you, back then and even more friends recently between 2016 and now. And it's finally come to fruition. What a time to come back, indeed, Skyfox.

7 Days

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, so I hope I'm not super late in commenting here but I have a few things I wanna say.

Back when the Snake thread was really going strong I was so excited to see support for Snake and Metal Gear making a return. While we didn't get what we wanted right away, the fact that it has all paid off is such a sweet victory.

Sure, I made the Twitter account for Snake support (@Snake4Smash4). I'm not even sure how effective it really was in the end, but the fact that Sakurai introduced Snake with "Back by popular demand" almost immediately made me emotional.

There I was, a 25 year old man at work trying to stay as composed as possible, seeing the base of Shadow Moses show up right after Cloud. I knew right away what was coming, and it took all of my energy to not shed a few tears.

Honestly, I still can't believe it. We did it...as a community, we basically got our main man back in Smash. Not even kidding, this is probably one of the coolest accomplishments that have made me feel like I was really a part of something, and it's all to do with my favorite series in gaming, with my most missed veteran. But like I said, it wasn't just me, and it never was. It was all of us, with a whole bunch of effort and love for the game!

We did it bros. Be proud, and remember...A WEEK AWAY. ONE WEEK!!!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'm glad to be back with you all again and I think I'm going to be a lot more active on Smashboards from now on. I definitely want to be here to help push our Outer Heaven even further. By the way did we have a cool name for our group? I think we did it was either FOXHOUND or The Sons of Big Boss ? :laugh:

I think I was the youngest member in the group as well. I was so young and naive, most people would've just laughed me out of the thread, but you guys didn't you guys actually gave me chance and I truly am thankful for each and everyone here!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm glad to be back with you all again and I think I'm going to be a lot more active on Smashboards from now on. I definitely want to be here to help push our Outer Heaven even further. By the way did we have a cool name for our group? I think we did it was either FOXHOUND or The Sons of Big Boss ? :laugh:

I think I was the youngest member in the group as well. I was so young and naive, most people would've just laughed me out of the thread, but you guys didn't you guys actually gave me chance and I truly am thankful for each and everyone here!
Last time it was The Sons of Big Boss. That seemed a little too long for my taste. So this time around I went with our second choice for last time. This time around:

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Last time it was The Sons of Big Boss. That seemed a little too long for my taste. So this time around I went with our second choice for last time. This time around:
Diamond Dogs, I love it!!

I'm kinda worried about Snake in Smash Ultimate. I feel that I'm not going to be able to play him effectively due to me having a weak projectile game. I played a little bit of SSBB and a ton of Project M, but at the time I didn't understand competitive smash like I do now. In Smash 4 I dual mained :ultcloud:/:ultsonic: and I feel that my Snake might suck :crying:

I have some footage on my YouTube channel of my characters in action and I would love to send them to the thread! Is that alright if I do?

I'm going to work very hard at making Snake one of my best characters.

Top Bottom