• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Could the Switch even run MGS5?
The Xbox 360 can run MGS5. Given what the Switch has already proven to be capable of running, I have no doubts that it could run Ground Zeroes or the Phantom Pain.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why does the 360 have Phantom Pain?
Metal Gear releases stopped being Playstation exclusive after MGS4; Metal Gear Rising, the HD Collection, and the MGS5 games all got Xbox 360 releases. I guess Konami figured it would make them more money to release it on that console.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Metal Gear releases stopped being Playstation exclusive after MGS4; Metal Gear Rising, the HD Collection, and the MGS5 games all got Xbox 360 releases. I guess Konami figured it would make them more money to release it on that console.
Also there really wasn't any real reason for MG to not be on Xbox. The long sequence of Playstation exclusive games probably had more to do with Kojima being very close (arguably too much) to Sony, which also explains why he was immeditely hired by them when he left Konami.

And honestly I would double dip on MGSV on the Switch, or any MGS for that matter.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
With Isabelle officially in Smash as an playable character, we can now have this.:

6C0AA5EE-0C13-4DE9-B770-ED0C16FEF955.jpeg

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Can anyone confirm what happens to the remote missile in Brawl if it reflects? I would test it out myself, but I currently don't have a copy. I'm wondering if Snake doesn't lose control of it, then I'm wondering what happens if Villager/Isabelle pockets it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can anyone confirm what happens to the remote missile in Brawl if it reflects? I would test it out myself, but I currently don't have a copy. I'm wondering if Snake doesn't lose control of it, then I'm wondering what happens if Villager/Isabelle pockets it.
Pretty sure he loses control and it goes straight back in the direction it was reflected from. Ex. If it was reflected while it was coming straight down it would reflect straight up. And yea I think Snake loses control of it. Don't recall for certain but I think that's how it works.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Found some cool and funny Snake x Isabelle fan art.:

BBA4B810-5536-4212-9030-263DFC65AE35.jpeg
44A2137C-478C-463F-872C-534EF49DDC5C.png
7CCBD53D-337E-4251-8658-F5DD98672F36.jpeg
5C2D992E-3363-4DBE-831C-AF786EC7857C.png
A7265080-4559-4260-B733-B7CEC70F9D1A.jpeg
FB53A7B5-1C5B-4FE0-BF2D-93620B6B05D5.jpeg
5008CE5B-889A-4338-9827-E34E121E1CBC.png
C28D45D2-8E0E-43B7-82B5-9C1E291E71BD.png
AFECD925-D113-41C6-BD6A-D7A9215EA0F7.png
0E7DEF82-9B8C-4029-BDFF-475DA86258FF.jpeg
C16C800E-B449-4C6C-A470-CA68C2B8F7F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
My video got deleted due to Viacom bots on YouTube, so I'm reuploading to Twitter and posting here again, apologies.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
And I too would love a collcetion of Metal Gear games (also one for Castlevania please). Particularly on the Switch so that I can play them on the go.
Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection on Switch would be amazing. Put in Metal Gear Solid V: Definitive Experience for good measure. And PLEASE put Metal Gear Solid 1 in the cartridge...

As for Castlevania, I'd put it like this. 3 different cartridges under the same box:

Cartridge 1-Classic Castlevania: Castlevania 1, 2, 3, 4, Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines
Cartridge 2-Metroidvania: Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin, Circle of the Moon
Cartridge 3-Lords of Shadow Collection

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I’m hoping for a HD collection with

Twin Snakes
MGS2:Substance
MGS3:3D
MGS: Peace Walker

I’d love 4 but it would be difficult to port and Konami wouldn’t sell it with the other games if they did. But these 4 would be awesome in a Switch HD Collection.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Sorry if it was posted elsewhere, but is there a Snake Discord I can join? Want to be part of the Snake meta when Ultimate is out.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Para-Medic?

Honestly, it would be nice to see her descent into madness considering what she did to Grey Fox. MGS3 never gave out the impression she'd go THAT insane.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Another Metal Gear project?
It's not over yet! Get your fiddles ready!
Holy mother of God. I was JUST about to post this. That's wack.

But yeah, seriously, the fact that all of this has happened around the same time feels fishy to me. I don't know the likelihood of Kojima coming back to Konami, unless he like creative president or something, because of how he seems to be creating his passion project over there with Sony. I mean the dude has some pull to get Guillermo del Toro, Norman Reedus, AND Mads Mikkelson for a game and have the funding from Sony for that game. He's not ****ing around. IF Metal Gear Survive was a big enough of a disappointment to force them to rehire Kojima as something more than what he was then I will be VERY impressed by Konami's rebound. Here's the thing. While it's mostly been Downes and Hayter going back and forth with Eiding in there every so often the fact that Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the Director of the hopeful MGS movie, is so close to Kojima and is so open about it despite Konami's insistence on trying to rid then of him tells me that there is something going on and that Kojima probably has a hand in it. I REALLY don't know what to think about this. It baffles me.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
TBH I can't see Kojima coming back to Konami not even if they beg him. He is finally capable of doing whatever he wants with his partnership with Sony, which also being a big movie producing studio also helped him get in contact with some high profile western actors, something that he wanted to do since MGS3 when he wanted Kurt Russell as Naked Snake.

The most I could see is something more like a supervising role, but I doubt he would do more than that for a new MGS game since he has stated several times that he wanted to move away from it and do other things, to the point that he wanted to kill Solid Snake in 4.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
So, Snake was featured in the new Smash trailer.:

Poor Snake being obliterated by the laser.:

You can watch the trailer here.:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, Snake was featured in the new Smash trailer.:

Poor Snake being obliterated by the laser.:

You can watch the trailer here.:

I was honestly hoping that the lasers would miss him because of The Box.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Here is an another shot of Snake from the new trailer. He was right between Palutena and Sonic.

F1F87B09-AE36-45EC-BA74-C44E1EA3775D.jpeg

PF9

Smash Lord
I think one of the main reasons we don't have Kiefer Sutherland as Snake in Ultimate is because he is a union actor.

Union actors have traditionally been avoided by Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think one of the main reasons we don't have Kiefer Sutherland as Snake in Ultimate is because he is a union actor.

Union actors have traditionally been avoided by Smash.
It's likely for the best; when it comes to Snake's voice, people tend to think of David Hayter.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Apparently the 3rd party that was most difficult to deal with was Square Enix, not Konami. They wanted him to be DLC again it seems.

And everyone was blaming Konami when Sakurai mentioned negotiations being difficult. HA!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Seriously? They wanted Cloud to be DLC again?

The reason why we thought Konami would be hard to deal with is because.....well look at how they are, especially during the Smash 4 speculation period. Looking back, though, Snake and Simon being in the game is basically free money for them and they don't do basically anything for it.

Square Enix however.....yikes...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Seriously? They wanted Cloud to be DLC again?

The reason why we thought Konami would be hard to deal with is because.....well look at how they are, especially during the Smash 4 speculation period. Looking back, though, Snake and Simon being in the game is basically free money for them and they don't do basically anything for it.

Square Enix however.....yikes...
The issue with the whole Konami thing was that there was no basis for them being difficult with licensing. Yes, they treated Kojima like crap, but that doesn’t mean they would not license anything out. It’s interesting to note that the roster was decided in 2015, at the height of Konami situation, so that didn’t even stop Sakurai.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
So, Palutena’s Guidance is confirmed to back in Ultimate. I wonder what this means for Snake’s Codecs? Many people think they probably not coming back. So, at least we get some interactions with him, Pit, and Palutena, similar to the guidance on Robin where they and Viridi interact with Chrom back in Smash 4?

Nintendo Life had mentioned that they did not return.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/palutenas_guidance_to_return_in_super_smash_bros_ultimate

Viridi sounds a bit different.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Chrom better get his revenge on Viridi. Everything about him in this game is the exact opposite of what Viridi and even Palutena said.

EDIT: Apparently Chrom had restraint to not roast them both on his guidance.

Last edited:
ZeRo's early analysis of Snake in Ultimate:
Personally i think he's mostly stating the obvious like 'Snake is going to be very vulnerable in the air'' but he makes some good points (e.g. the fact that it could be easier to corner opponents cuz they can't just go through Snake like in Brawl). That said, I feel like a lot of people sleep on the fact that Snake is the one who's benefiting the most from the reduced jumpsquat animation (at least on paper), damn he used to have the slowest jumpsquat animation in all of Smash history and it's now thrice as fast (from 9 to 3 frames). An overlooked buff in many analyses imo.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I feel like he's underrating Snake a bit here. Yeah, Snake is vulnerable in the air, it's been like that since Brawl. What makes Snake deadly is that he controls the field and neutral completely on his own terms. However I do feel like that has been nerfed due to the new Down Smash. That isn't to say Snake can't do it at all because he absolutely can; C4 is still incredibly deadly, even moreso now that it doesn't get glued off if stuck to the opponent, RCM is MUCH more useful due to it's significant increase in speed and Grenades are still very powerful and items to watch out for.

While Snake's CQC isn't as strong as in Brawl, his CQC is still incredibly strong and getting up close and personal with him is riskier due to parrying as it enables him a punish with Up Tilt (this move in particular is dangerous due to it's high kill power), a free C4 stick, or a grab. His frame date is still good, if anything it has been improved from Brawl to Ultimate, in particular with his jumpframes (9 to 3, that's three times the reduction in lag, that's awesome for Snake). His nair is more useful due to it being faster and more consistent with it's connections and fair is faster.

Yes, Snake isn't as strong overall as in Brawl (Momentum Cancelling allowed him to outlive basically every character in the game mixed with his super heavyweight status, DACUS allowed near free approaches + more control of the field, his tech chasing was probably the best in the game alongside his broken Up Tilt and Forward Tilt locks), but Snake still looks very strong here.

Top Bottom