• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
So I was looking at Luigi’s page on the Smash website, and I found this...

Could this actually be poking fun at Snake’s nerfed butt?

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Nintendo of Europe released a gameplay video of Snake vs King K. Rool.

I was wondering, did Snake always said "There! " when he blow up the C4? Because if that isn't the case that means David recorded new lines for Ultimate, which would mean that the Codec Conversation might be back!

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

I was wondering, did Snake always said "There! " when he blow up the C4? Because if that isn't the case that means David recorded new lines for Ultimate, which would mean that the Codec Conversation might be back!
I think it's an unused archived voice clip that featured in Project M unfortunately.

Edit:

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

I'm pretty sure they'll be bringing back the codecs. And that was a pretty cool gameplay video; finally got to see more from both of those characters, though I was hoping to see a new Snake victory pose, but oh well. On a related note, did the announcer just say "King K. Rool" at the end, without the "wins" thing? That's kinda weird.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm pretty sure they'll be bringing back the codecs. And that was a pretty cool gameplay video; finally got to see more from both of those characters, though I was hoping to see a new Snake victory pose, but oh well. On a related note, did the announcer just say "King K. Rool" at the end, without the "wins" thing? That's kinda weird.
We have actually seen all of Snake's Victory poses thanks to E3 (at least off screen).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmiuSYw7JAg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvjItn2fkaE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9ISMUcO3s

They all look very cool, to be honest.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Pretty sure in Brawl, Snake would say "Now!" when he blew up the C4. Kind of sad that they changed that. "There!" isn't as good.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Last edited:

tveye

Smash Journeyman
I'm so happy Snake is back. I remember when he was first shown in Brawl it made me want to play every game in the MGS series...which I did! All but Ground Zeroes, that is.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm so happy Snake is back. I remember when he was first shown in Brawl it made me want to play every game in the MGS series...which I did! All but Ground Zeroes, that is.
You skipped out on Ground Zeroes? Any particular reason?

tveye

Smash Journeyman
When it first came out I thought it was just a demo for Phantom Pain. I bought and played through Phantom Pain already (which meant reading all the supplementary data in game about Ground Zeroes) so I didn't feel like it was necessary. I'll probably pick it up one of these days.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When it first came out I thought it was just a demo for Phantom Pain. I bought and played through Phantom Pain already (which meant reading all the supplementary data in game about Ground Zeroes) so I didn't feel like it was necessary. I'll probably pick it up one of these days.
It's really not a necessary game to play if you got the whole gist through The Phantom Pain...

but it is more Metal Gear Solid so... it's worth it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I know this will be a controversial opinion, but I preferred Ground Zeroes to The Phantom Pain. It just felt more like a Metal Gear game, with the infiltration inside an enemy facility, with guards patrolling the area, rather than huge and mostly empty deserts. I also liked a lot more its approach to open world, where the first time you play they give you a generic location to reach, but because of how Camp Zero is structured there really isn't a clear path to follow, while in most of TPP I always felt that there was a path between point A to point B, with no particular shortcuts or alternate route, especially when going from an enemy base to the other.
I also found Ground Zeroes story to be better paced (which isn't really that hard considering how short it is, but still), with the way you get to know the next objective.

And Here's to You is an amazing song to end it. I place the credits of Ground Zeroes only below the original's with The Best Has Yet To Come, but really ghat song is amazing.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Pretty sure in Brawl, Snake would say "Now!" when he blew up the C4. Kind of sad that they changed that. "There!" isn't as good.
I agree because placing it determines the place while blowing it up determines the time of explosion. So saying "now" is much more fitting when he is blowing it up. "There" would be more fitting while placing it.

Also I came here to say I hate Snake's change to Dsmash. Is the anyone here who prefers the new on over the old one? The old one was more like a special move, was unique, and made Snake less straightforward. But his new Dsmash is just a generic double kick that hits on both sides. His new Dsmash is really boring.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I agree because placing it determines the place while blowing it up determines the time of explosion. So saying "now" is much more fitting when he is blowing it up. "There" would be more fitting while placing it.

Also I came here to say I hate Snake's change to Dsmash. Is the anyone here who prefers the new on over the old one? The old one was more like a special move, was unique, and made Snake less straightforward. But his new Dsmash is just a generic double kick that hits on both sides. His new Dsmash is really boring.
While I agree that the old Mine was very unique, having a quick option as a Smash attack isn't a bad thing for Snake, since he suffered being to close to his opponent due to his moves taking a while to start. The new Down Smash should help him keep distance from the enemy.

1FC0

Smash Lord
While I agree that the old Mine was very unique, having a quick option as a Smash attack isn't a bad thing for Snake, since he suffered being to close to his opponent due to his moves taking a while to start. The new Down Smash should help him keep distance from the enemy.
Characters are supposed to have weaknesses. Until I know how good Snake is I do not know whether I want him buffed or not. Playing wth the next SSBB MK is not always fun either.

What I do know is that I personally prefer the more strategic mine over the straightforward double kick. But maybe that is just because I tend to dislike straightforward characters.

ssbKingKoopa

Smash Rookie
Characters are supposed to have weaknesses. Until I know how good Snake is I do not know whether I want him buffed or not. Playing wth the next SSBB MK is not always fun either.

What I do know is that I personally prefer the more strategic mine over the straightforward double kick. But maybe that is just because I tend to dislike straightforward characters.
I did really like the mine because it made snake even more different than the other characters. But ill admit that the mine was really hard to set up in the middle of a match.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The problem with the mine wasn’t really the set up it was more that you could easily get rid of it by just running up and power shielding. If you were any good at the game you could easily avoid those mines and the only way you’d fall victim to them was if you were directly thrown into them by an attack. Snake still, easily, has the trap moveset in the game with being able to throw grenades and place c4 all around the stage and now he can finally follow up on those with his Nikita. He’s incredibly versatile in this game and his new down smash gives him a good anti pressure attack. Even if it isn’t as flashy as the mine, it’s more useful.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
What would you guys think of Raiden as an echo of Snake? He Would probably be based off of his MGS2 appearance.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I know this will be a controversial opinion, but I preferred Ground Zeroes to The Phantom Pain. It just felt more like a Metal Gear game, with the infiltration inside an enemy facility, with guards patrolling the area, rather than huge and mostly empty deserts. I also liked a lot more its approach to open world, where the first time you play they give you a generic location to reach, but because of how Camp Zero is structured there really isn't a clear path to follow, while in most of TPP I always felt that there was a path between point A to point B, with no particular shortcuts or alternate route, especially when going from an enemy base to the other.
I also found Ground Zeroes story to be better paced (which isn't really that hard considering how short it is, but still), with the way you get to know the next objective.

And Here's to You is an amazing song to end it. I place the credits of Ground Zeroes only below the original's with The Best Has Yet To Come, but really ghat song is amazing.
I completely agree with you. This is especially apparent when the only things of consequence that happen in Phantom Pain are directly linked to the events of Ground Zeroes. If Phantom Pain had a structure similar to Ground Zeroes with a focus on story missions and events rather than repeatedly sending you out on inconsequential missions, it could have been up there with the best of Metal Gear.

What would you guys think of Raiden as an echo of Snake? He Would probably be based off of his MGS2 appearance.
I personally think that MGS2 Raiden is easily the best option for a Snake echo and would make the most sense given Snake's moveset in Smash. He's my second most wanted echo right now behind Masked Man.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I just noticed that we might have seen the Omega Version of Shadow Moses Island in the Simon/Richter reveal trailer. IDK if it has been posted here before so here it is.
Screenshot_20180829-163632.png

Sadly no battle on top of REX...a wasted opportunity.

Sadly no battle on top of REX...a wasted opportunity.
If there's a 'boss rush' mode in Ultimate we might have a battle against REX, that would be great.

The problem with the mine wasn’t really the set up it was more that you could easily get rid of it by just running up and power shielding. If you were any good at the game you could easily avoid those mines and the only way you’d fall victim to them was if you were directly thrown into them by an attack. Snake still, easily, has the trap moveset in the game with being able to throw grenades and place c4 all around the stage and now he can finally follow up on those with his Nikita. He’s incredibly versatile in this game and his new down smash gives him a good anti pressure attack. Even if it isn’t as flashy as the mine, it’s more useful.
This is gonna be a big game changer imo:
  • C4 now sticks to opponents much more reliably than in Brawl. (smashwiki)
C4 gives a good 'combo/killmove' option now (i might be too optimistic on this), but i think it'll be possible to go from Uptilt or Upsmash to detonate the sticky C4 while the enemy is in mid air for the kill. I've not seen it done in a match yet so it remains to be tested i guess but the possibility alone is exciting. I'll try to find the video where i've seen this but i'm sure you can stick the C4 even if the opponent is shielding which is another interesting detail for set up. HYPE!

You are correct but... he says both actually:
  • C4 now has Snake say "There!" when detonating in the air, on ground he will still say "Now!". (smashwiki)
It would be cool but if i had to choose i'd pick Big Boss :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I just played Ground Zeroes a few weeks back after The Phantom Pain. I mean, it helped set up the story to Ground Zeroes, but because it was still a tech demo, it didn't have a lot of substance to it. Plus, right off the bat, you knew it was going to end badly for Big Boss and company with Skull Face and XOF Trojan Horsing their base.

Now, there were things I had issues with regarding Phantom Pain, but I thought it was a great usage of the new engine and it helped "complete" the entire storyline of the franchise, with Snake Eater and Peace Walker setting up the beginning of the story and Guns of the Patriots ending everything. Which leads me to this unfortunate question... has any of you tried Survive? Even as a rental?

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Here's a dumb joke video I did about the struggles of being a Snake main/MGS fan during the Smash 4 years, which I hope you guys enjoy.

(If the video gets taken down, then that means Viacom's bot is being dumb, and this vid is meant to be a light-hearted joke so pls don't take it too seriously.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiQPQb1ImQ

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Decided to draw an picture of Snake feeding Lucario some chocolate.:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Why not make Big Boss an echo?

You would just have to make a new render and an announcer call and some alts. Not even any new voice clips. Easiest echo IMO.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Why not make Big Boss an echo?

You would just have to make a new render and an announcer call and some alts. Not even any new voice clips. Easiest echo IMO.
Big Boss would be AMAZING! Though obviously getting both is the dream (however unlikely).

My hope is that the upcoming direct will announce a mgs5 port to switch, and then follow up with a Big Boss reveal.

Top Bottom