• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Any tips for dealing with fast projectile pressure as Snake? Or a rush-down character like Inkling?

Last edited:

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Really want to learn how to control the neutral better with grenades... MVD and Ally does this wonderfully. They hold the grenade, shield drop them when opponent gets close and land a grab. Sometimes they approach with their back so the grenade hitbox is closer to the opponent. Very cool.

If someone could breakdown this pressure scheme for me i would be very grateful... thanks in advance

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Snake has some very long legs for a male character, but he doesn't look bad at all.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for dealing with fast projectile pressure as Snake? Or a rush-down character like Inkling?
Really want to learn how to control the neutral better with grenades... MVD and Ally does this wonderfully. They hold the grenade, shield drop them when opponent gets close and land a grab. Sometimes they approach with their back so the grenade hitbox is closer to the opponent. Very cool.

If someone could breakdown this pressure scheme for me i would be very grateful... thanks in advance
Gonna try to answer two questions with one answer, so here it goes.
This is what I remember from the Brawl days, as well as what I've noticed by playing Ultimate Snake— It's important to understand Snake himself as a type of projectile that is meant to interact and counteract against the opponent and the stage. Right from the beginning of the match, you have to start placing and spacing all of your projectiles so when you see an opening in your opponent's defense (it doesn't matter if that opening is intentional or not), you attempt to maximize on the slight chance that they just can't catch up to your mobility as a "projectile" capable of attacking back.Likewise, one of the more difficult matchups for me as a Snake player is against DDD, where his side B (kind of like Inkling's projectiles) really push against Snake's usual spacing maneuvers. So far, the closest solution I've discovered is to try to strategically place grenades/mines/nikita/U-Smash as a defense to confuse or worry the opponent's spacing. Especially with Inkling's side B, leaving a grenade right before you get grounded will most likely save you from being punished severely. Back in my Brawl days, a somewhat ranked Snake player in SoCal told me that playing as Snake means you use the explosive arsenal against your opponent 50% of the time, then you are trying to compensate against the backfire the other 50% of the time. Example: You place a grenade that accidentally explodes you and your opponent up in the air (that's the first 50%), then you try to compensate for that error by punishing with an adept U-Air as they are attempting to DI and survive (the other 50%).

Let me know if I actually make sense or not, lol (and even if you disagree, please). This is just what I remember from Brawl and how I see Snake as a character.

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
Gonna try to answer two questions with one answer, so here it goes.
This is what I remember from the Brawl days, as well as what I've noticed by playing Ultimate Snake— It's important to understand Snake himself as a type of projectile that is meant to interact and counteract against the opponent and the stage. Right from the beginning of the match, you have to start placing and spacing all of your projectiles so when you see an opening in your opponent's defense (it doesn't matter if that opening is intentional or not), you attempt to maximize on the slight chance that they just can't catch up to your mobility as a "projectile" capable of attacking back.Likewise, one of the more difficult matchups for me as a Snake player is against DDD, where his side B (kind of like Inkling's projectiles) really push against Snake's usual spacing maneuvers. So far, the closest solution I've discovered is to try to strategically place grenades/mines/nikita/U-Smash as a defense to confuse or worry the opponent's spacing. Especially with Inkling's side B, leaving a grenade right before you get grounded will most likely save you from being punished severely. Back in my Brawl days, a somewhat ranked Snake player in SoCal told me that playing as Snake means you use the explosive arsenal against your opponent 50% of the time, then you are trying to compensate against the backfire the other 50% of the time. Example: You place a grenade that accidentally explodes you and your opponent up in the air (that's the first 50%), then you try to compensate for that error by punishing with an adept U-Air as they are attempting to DI and survive (the other 50%).

Let me know if I actually make sense or not, lol (and even if you disagree, please). This is just what I remember from Brawl and how I see Snake as a character.
Thanks for the reply! You made total sense. I remember that Jtails mentioned in his recent Snake guide that he's a type of character that you cannot be afraid to trade. He is heavy and his game benefits on those kamikaze grenade schemes and such.
I played for almost two hours yesterday with a highly skilled friend. He's been playing smash non stop for the last couple years and the skill gap between us drastically increased. He is currently maining Dark Samus which is a projectile kind of character. For the first hour, i was completely destroid. But then i learned to control the pace with the grenades. I outnumbered him with my tools and when we got close to each other on the middle of the stage i secured my position with a grenade in hand and opted for those kamikaze trades. Eventually, he started to feel insecure with the approach, and i started to feel more free to impose my game against him. Started landing some grabs, short hop dairs to punish blcoked attack and stuff. Nikita was terrorizing him too... but i feel that my grenade game and the rythim i applied after playing a bunch of matches really made a difference.

In the end, it all comes down to play the game and get experience with the character.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply! You made total sense. I remember that Jtails mentioned in his recent Snake guide that he's a type of character that you cannot be afraid to trade. He is heavy and his game benefits on those kamikaze grenade schemes and such.
I played for almost two hours yesterday with a highly skilled friend. He's been playing smash non stop for the last couple years and the skill gap between us drastically increased. He is currently maining Dark Samus which is a projectile kind of character. For the first hour, i was completely destroid. But then i learned to control the pace with the grenades. I outnumbered him with my tools and when we got close to each other on the middle of the stage i secured my position with a grenade in hand and opted for those kamikaze trades. Eventually, he started to feel insecure with the approach, and i started to feel more free to impose my game against him. Started landing some grabs, short hop dairs to punish blcoked attack and stuff. Nikita was terrorizing him too... but i feel that my grenade game and the rythim i applied after playing a bunch of matches really made a difference.

In the end, it all comes down to play the game and get experience with the character.

I'm glad this helps! I also feel like it's important to know that Snake's crouch is excellent forr avoiding most projectiles, and the fact that he can crawl towards his opponent as they flounder around adds another level of pressure. That being said, if you have c stick as tilt, you can pretty much just up tilt out of crouch at any time. It's also important to mention that his grenades often bounce against most projectiles, turning them into a type of mini blockade shield. Someone should get to the lab and see what the grenades bounce off.

Victor Coelho

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
1138-9017-8903
I'm glad this helps! I also feel like it's important to know that Snake's crouch is excellent forr avoiding most projectiles, and the fact that he can crawl towards his opponent as they flounder around adds another level of pressure. That being said, if you have c stick as tilt, you can pretty much just up tilt out of crouch at any time. It's also important to mention that his grenades often bounce against most projectiles, turning them into a type of mini blockade shield. Someone should get to the lab and see what the grenades bounce off.
Oh yeah the grenades act as mini shields. Many many times yesterday i avoided fully charged shots from Dark Samus using the lovely grenades lol

I've updated the Video Archive to include all the recent footage i've found so far. If you happen to find any other interesting match(es) just send me the :ultlink:(s) via private messaging or just post them on my profile page, i'll do another update around January 10th after Smash Conference United (i assume there'll be some Snake players participating, pretty sure MVD and Ally will participate at the very least).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Happy New Year, Diamond Dogs!

Nice Snake vs Snake set (MVD vs Vinny G.) at Smash Conference United:

Highlights: Boom! There! Now! Boom! There (boom)! Boom! There and boom! Bibip ...... boom! AAAAAAaaaaaar....

:p

EDIT: The Video Archive has been updated with a total of 58 new videos, a lot of footage of MVD and Ally in action. Thanks to Perversion for the assistance.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Any reason why there’s still no word on a Snake amiibo? I think all other returning vets have one up for pre order but I can’t find anything on Snake. Hell even ones for the Belmonts too aren’t available.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Any reason why there’s still no word on a Snake amiibo? I think all other returning vets have one up for pre order but I can’t find anything on Snake. Hell even ones for the Belmonts too aren’t available.
There are quite a few amiibo still to be shown, like Dark Samus, Chrom, Pokèmon Trainer and Incineroar besides the Konami dudes, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I think we will see them at a later date in 2019.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Good News, you are in luck.:

FD7362FC-903F-4A9E-8CF6-04A0094B00EC.jpeg

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Only one change for Snake in patch 2.0

Uptilt sweetspot window has been increased. i.e. he got one buff.

The grenade pressure by MVD in these matches is just insane, that poor DK player looks so confused:

The second match is less one sided but still, pretty impressive stage control overall.

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Snake Amiibo due to be released around this year.:

This is how his box looked like.:

amiibo-boxes-1.jpg

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Didn’t think I should make a thread for this. But hello, I wanna join the reptile club and play Snake. Loved playing him against my friend.

Any tips? I usually play DDD, Wii Fit and K Rool

Didn’t think I should make a thread for this. But hello, I wanna join the reptile club and play Snake. Loved playing him against my friend.

Any tips? I usually play DDD, Wii Fit and K Rool
I recommend checking these threads:

- What to learn as Snake? (full of good tips for beginners)
- Snake MU Thread (info and discussions on the different matchups)
- Video Archive (watching footage could help you understand how to play Snake efficiently)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I waited 5 ****ing years for a Snake Amiibo and lo and behold it's right around the corner with a bonus of Simon Belmont too!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Once I get my hands on that Snake amiibo, my collection will be complete. I repeat. My collection will be complete!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Once I get my hands on that Snake amiibo, my collection will be complete. I repeat. My collection will be complete!
Really now? In terms of just what you want to get? Hope big is your collection?

ivean999

Smash Rookie
As someone who spent a lot of time watching my older brother play through the MGS series, I've always wanted Ult. Snake to be reworked. Nothing against his current moveset, but I feel like some of the more fantastic elements of MGS could be implemented. The octocamo as some kind of intangibility move comes to mind. This is a world with cyborg ninjas, immortal vampires, and giant mechs. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As someone who spent a lot of time watching my older brother play through the MGS series, I've always wanted Ult. Snake to be reworked. Nothing against his current moveset, but I feel like some of the more fantastic elements of MGS could be implemented. The octocamo as some kind of intangibility move comes to mind. This is a world with cyborg ninjas, immortal vampires, and giant mechs. Any other thoughts?
My main thing I missed was the lack of characters represented from the series. The characters are by far the best part. Psycho Mantis, the B&B corps, Liquid and his many incarnations of Ocelot, etc. I feel like this game did a damn good job of that with Spirits but I could've used more.

Another thing is, I wish the many Snake's would've been represented as Alternate Costumes. Big Boss, Old Snake, and The Boss specifically.

ivean999

Smash Rookie
My main thing I missed was the lack of characters represented from the series. The characters are by far the best part. Psycho Mantis, the B&B corps, Liquid and his many incarnations of Ocelot, etc. I feel like this game did a damn good job of that with Spirits but I could've used more.

Another thing is, I wish the many Snake's would've been represented as Alternate Costumes. Big Boss, Old Snake, and The Boss specifically.
They did add Paz as a spirit. He makes you start with a Bob-Omb

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just to let you guys know, I was able to start an art conglomerate on a few character forums, one of them being a Snake, so if you want to post your favorite art of Snake go into that thread and let loose.

Punishing Ganoncide with a forward air spike... who would have thought of such an interesting and cheesy option? (spoiler: Nairo)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Happy April Fools fellow PATR10TS!!!!

LA-LI-LU-LE-LO!!!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Apparently Sakurai’s book says that Snake topped the Ballot. Not sure if it means number 1 or anything(I personally think he was), but it’s just a testament to our efforts during Smash 4.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've just tried the VR Smash mode, and I'm happy to say that Shadow Moses Island is among the playable stages in that mode.
And I'm not going to lie, I felt kinda emotional in seeing Shadow Moses with those eyes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'm going to finish Metal Gear Solid 5 and play through Metal Gear Solid 4 to kill time before E3 next week.

For Metal Gear Solid 5, I have a question - is chapter two worth doing? My biggest problem with Peace Walker, by far, is how the endgame slowed to a crawl with harder versions of regular missions mixed with with Zadornov's Hide-And-Seek Challenge, where you needed to scour the entire map to find a guy who keeps breaking out of prison. I couldn't even finish the game because of that, and if the post-Skull Face stuff for Metal Gear Solid V is like that, then I might just consider the end of chapter one to be the end of the game.

Top Bottom