• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yeah it’s good to see some old faces again after a long while. It feels like a homecoming reunion.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Diamond Dogs, I love it!!

I'm kinda worried about Snake in Smash Ultimate. I feel that I'm not going to be able to play him effectively due to me having a weak projectile game. I played a little bit of SSBB and a ton of Project M, but at the time I didn't understand competitive smash like I do now. In Smash 4 I dual mained :ultcloud:/:ultsonic: and I feel that my Snake might suck :crying:

I have some footage on my YouTube channel of my characters in action and I would love to send them to the thread! Is that alright if I do?

I'm going to work very hard at making Snake one of my best characters.
Since Cloud and Sonic aren't really relevant to the thread I'm going to have ask you to not post the individual videos.

However, if you want to sneak a link to your Channel in, I'll just pretend I didn't see it. ;)

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Since Cloud and Sonic aren't really relevant to the thread I'm going to have ask you to not post the individual videos.

However, if you want to sneak a link to your Channel in, I'll just pretend I didn't see it. ;)
Sure thing, boss. The quality of the videos is kinda bad due to me using my phone as a camcorder. If you could watch a few of my videos and give me some feedback I'd deeply appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkylarArwood

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hard to believe we're less than a week away from being able to play as Snake in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Smash Bros. is what got me into Metal Gear in the first place. I was excited because of Snake's inclusion, but that was mainly because of the sheer amount of doors that it opened. However, I recalled that Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was featured in a few of my older issues of Nintendo Power, and after looking through those, I decided to order the game through eBay and give it a shot.

Fast forward to today, and I've got every "main" Metal Gear game (and Rising - not 100% sure if it counts). There's still plenty that I haven't beaten (got a PS3 relatively recently, so I haven't gotten too deep into Metal Gear Solid 4; I haven't played much of the MSX games, and the hide and seek portion at the end of Peace Walker killed all of the game's momentum for me), but the series is generally fantastic, and it quickly leaped to being one of my favourite game series of all time.

It's kind of weird that I've managed to play through the series despite not owning a Playstation console until very recently (MGS1 through the Twin Snakes on the Gamecube; the MSX games, MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker through the HD Collection on the Xbox 360; Metal Gear Rising and both MGSV games on the Xbox 360), but it's been a wild ride and it's given me some of my most memorable moments in gaming.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Metal Gear story time:

The Twin Snakes remains the only Metal Gear game I don't own and ironically it was the first ever Metal Gear game I looked up after Brawl inspired me to do research on it. The first ever Metal Gear game I have ever played and owned was on PSP, Portable Ops Plus (yeah, not even the original one, parents were a little strict on me when it came to game ratings). I didn't fully enjoy it because 1: You didn't play Snake until later, 2: I didn't understand the mission structure, 3: Didn't understand the combat. I put it off almost immediately. The second Metal Gear game I played was Rising from a friend in high school for the 360 and I loved it, but I didn't get to own it until much later. It certainly converted me into a Metal Gear fan.

The third game was Metal Gear Solid 4 and this is where it came on to me that Metal Gear would be one of my favorite video game franchises. I loved essentially every minute of it (except part 1 of Chapter 3): the characters, the visuals, the music, the story, the action, the stakes, it was all amazing and by the end of Chapter 4, it became one of my favorite games of all time and I haven't even gone through Chapter 5 or the ending. Speaking of the ending, this is something I'll never forget. My first PS3 was dying when I got Metal Gear Solid 4 and there were times during the playthrough where it crashed on me. Thankfully, it did not crash during the last moments of the game. After going through the ending, it was 2:00am where I'm at and I was playing it basically the entire night, so I went to bad with some tears shed. When I woke up to see if I could play it again, the PS3 I had was officially dead. I liken it's fate to that of what Otacon said "It's had a hard life, it's time we let it rest".

My collection of Metal Gear stopped for a while until Christmas of 2013 where I got my second PS3 (a PS3 lite....) alongside The Last of Us. A few days after beating the game, I wanted more games for it so I bought myself Metal Gear Rising and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Much later down the road I purchased the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection.....used, so no Metal Gear Solid 1, which I eventually downloaded through PSN alongside Symphony of the Night. Ground Zeroes I got for free on the 360 and Phantom Pain I have permanently borrowed from a friend and lo and behold, I essentially had the entire Metal Gear series, damn near twice. Don't regret it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
So, they reused the codecs from Brawl? However, they can only be used for characters who were in Brawl. Oh well. At least, we got them back.

Anyway, here is the Palutena’s Guidance about Snake.:

Snake?!

The Legendary Mercenary himself.

I never thought I'd get a chance to fight him again!

Snake is fully loaded with explosives
and firearms. Don't get blown up.

I bet if I put some bombs on the end of
my arrows, they'd be more powerful.

Very original, Pit.

You can't attach bombs to Arrows of
Light since they aren't actual arrows.

OK, then let's bust out the cannons!

Leave the bombs and guns to Snake.

You focus on what you do best. Whatever that is.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So, they reused the codecs from Brawl? However, they can only be used for characters who were in Brawl. Oh well. At least, we got them back.

Anyway, here is the Palutena’s Guidance about Snake.:

Snake?!

The Legendary Mercenary himself.

I never thought I'd get a chance to fight him again!

Snake is fully loaded with explosives
and firearms. Don't get blown up.

I bet if I put some bombs on the end of
my arrows, they'd be more powerful.

Very original, Pit.

You can't attach bombs to Arrows of
Light since they aren't actual arrows.

OK, then let's bust out the cannons!

Leave the bombs and guns to Snake.

You focus on what you do best. Whatever that is.
It's a kick in the teeth that Snake didn't get any new codecs. I was really looking forward to hear Snake and his support team share their thoughts on Smash 4/Ultimate Newcomers. It's sad to hear that Takeshi Aono passed away, but he's probably in a much better place.

I wonder if we'll get some new codecs later on down the road like maybe a free update? I doubt it and It's just wishful thinking at this point. Although it's hard to replace the Colonel, I think Kazuhira Miller would be a good fit for the roll. Imagine there's a codec call where Liquid is impersonating Master Miller.

Get ready for some GW level of AI in Ultimate:

[Video has been shut down by Nintendo Ninjas, it was a Snake CPU doing a C4 recovery]

I'm obviously exaggerating but pretty impressive to see an A.I. pull off a C4 recovery like that!

Oh and also, we're so clooooose! The hype is real !

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The AI in this game is looking MUCH more fun to play against then the very defensive air dodge trigger happy Smash 4 AI. I mean.....B reversing grenades and using the C4 bomb recovery. This is a massive improvement.

-Ran

Smash Master
Most of you won't know or remember me, but I'll be trying to help you all break Snake once the game comes out. Long, long time ago, I was a member of the Brawl Back Room, and a Smash Lab member.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
2 more days boys!

Oh, the official Metal Gear Twitter posted this.:

It’s nice to see Sakurai and Kojima together again. It’s been a while.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Now that Ultimate, alongside Snake's return, is just hours away, I would like to ask you all a question:
How do you feel about Snake for future Smash titles? Personally, I belive that Simon and Richter help his chances a lot for returning, because now not involving Konami in future titles wouldn't just mean cutting the Metal Gear content, but the Bomberman AT as well as the HUGE catalogue of Castlevania content, and while you are licensing for them then you might as well get back Snake again.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Now that Ultimate, alongside Snake's return, is just hours away, I would like to ask you all a question:
How do you feel about Snake for future Smash titles? Personally, I belive that Simon and Richter help his chances a lot for returning, because now not involving Konami in future titles wouldn't just mean cutting the Metal Gear content, but the Bomberman AT as well as the HUGE catalogue of Castlevania content, and while you are licensing for them then you might as well get back Snake again.
I think is chances are pretty good. Honestly every future Smash should just be a port of this game with a couple additional elements

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey guys, remember when people used to say "Snake will never come back because Kojima left Konami and Sakurai would never disrespect his friend!"
Well guess who is feeling insulted right now:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, I got the game. And just unlocked Snake. He's ****ing incredible as expected.

On another note. Kim Mai Guest, Paul Eiding, and Christopher Randolph are all listed under voice actors in the credits. Codecs on their way?

Edit: so I was just informed Codecs were recycled from Brawl for those characters. Crazy

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So, I got the game. And just unlocked Snake. He's ****ing incredible as expected.

On another note. Kim Mai Guest, Paul Eiding, and Christopher Randolph are all listed under voice actors in the credits. Codecs on their way?

Edit: so I was just informed Codecs were recycled from Brawl for those characters. Crazy
Don't tell me that comrade, I'm missing just 16 characters from having the full roster and Snake (as well as most of my past mains like Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Olimar...) are among those 16. This bad luck is going to kill me...

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I have the game but unfortunately I can't play it until Christmas...damn...

However I did play the game at a friend's house who got his own copy. We unlocked as far as I can recall: Ness, Zelda, Bowser, Captain Falcon, King K. Rool, Chrom, Ridley, Ike, Lucina, Pit, Inkling, Simon, Richter, Snake, Villager, Young Link, Ice Climbers, Ryu, Ganondorf, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Jigglypuff and Meta Knight.

Getting to play as Snake again was incredibly surreal in the best ways possible. It was fantastic.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't tell me that comrade, I'm missing just 16 characters from having the full roster and Snake (as well as most of my past mains like Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Olimar...) are among those 16. This bad luck is going to kill me...
Meta Knight Unlocks Snake in Classic.

I thought the unlocks were random but I got Simon with Cloud's Classic, Meta Knight with Simon's, and Snake with Meta Knight's and so did my cousin.

Last edited:

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
Old Snake main from Brawl. Just wanted to drop by and note how amazing he is. I'm...shocked at how much he plays like his Brawl self in Ultimate. He feels. great. Can't believe they made Nikita useful. It's actually one of his best moves now. Up Tilt still killing while having mortal range is crazy to me. I figured if Snake ever came back, they'd nerf that move to hell and back. Don't know if I'll main Snake in Ultimate, but I'm for sure adding him as a secondary.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I started by playing World of Light, and I got lucky enough to get Snake early. I then beasted the whole mode with him. I had a BLAST. I love how he plays, mostly because it’s mostly the same. Even stat wise. (Even if I wish they replaced the Granada with a tranq gun ala PM, I never use the thing and when I do it never hits).

A little disappointed we didn’t get new codecs, or any costumes from any other Metal Gear game, but otherwise I’m glad to have my favorite game character back in Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got Snake today, and he feels as great to play as he did in Brawl. I never really used the mine, so I don't mind the change to his down smash. I used him when dipping my toe into online matches and managed to win, which was a nice surprise.

khfan93

Smash Cadet
Hi people. I played Snake casually in Brawl and I just unlocked him today in Ultimate. I want to try to 'git gud' at playing him. Is there a guide for like basic strats I need to learn to play as Snake? I know what all of his moves do and I know a few basic strats (like I can do a C4 recovery sometimes) but I have never taken Smash seriously so I don't really know much else. Sorry if this is not the thread to ask this in!
Edit: To clarify, the last Smash I played before Ultimate was Brawl, which I only played casually.

Last edited:
Hi people. I played Snake casually in Brawl and I just unlocked him today in Ultimate. I want to try to 'git gud' at playing him. Is there a guide for like basic strats I need to learn to play as Snake? I know what all of his moves do and I know a few basic strats (like I can do a C4 recovery sometimes) but I have never taken Smash seriously so I don't really know much else. Sorry if this is not the thread to ask this in!
Edit: To clarify, the last Smash I played before Ultimate was Brawl, which I only played casually.
A thread has been created recently: https://smashboards.com/threads/what-to-learn-as-snake.464963/#post-22823995 if you want to check it out.

I guess you can ask specific questions there about Snake basic strats.

Also you can check out the video archive but it only contains pre release videos from the E3 demo build (i'll update it soon with more recent gameplay).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
One thing I've found while playing through the World Of Light mode is that the AI, for the most part, has no idea what to do against Snake's up smash, the mortar. When in doubt, spamming that seems to get me out of a lot of sticky situations; it helps that one of the bonuses on the Skill Tree makes it so your smash attacks (the mortar included) poison your enemies.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Check the other thread like the guy said, but the biggest thing you need to learn how to do is manipulate grenades. It's not just getting them to explode near people, but leaving them in places that force people to leave their comfort zone on the stage. For example, if you reg toss a grenade on a Battlefield stage from around the middle, it'll land on on of the side platforms. The blast will hit anyone below it, so if they're near the edge they'll need to either move away or shield, which will let you follow up. It's a quick example, but stage control is huge, and once you're comfortable with the grenades it's a lot easier to get people moving the way you want them to.

Outside of that, probably b-reversals. When you're in the air, pulling out a grenade with neutral B then immediately moving the control stick the way opposite of whatever direction you were heading will cause a big momentum shift. Snake generally sucks in the air, and a lot of characters can really punish him when he's above them, but B-reversals will help give you some mobility to safely land back on stage.

If nothing else, those two. Same as in Brawl.

StGabby

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3147-0719-3893
Hey!, im not sure if this is the right place to post this but!!!! i did a combo on snake that im really proud of and wanted to share it lol
There was a problem fetching the tweet

-Ran

Smash Master
I did say I was going to work on some Snake stuff. So, here's the link to where it'll all be posted until I get to the point where I'm ready to make a formal thread about it all. Heavy work in progress.

https://bit.ly/2EwKsR9

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You guys see that a Snake player took the Grand Finals on VGBootCamp yesterday? He had a Nikita play against Pikachu that had me jumping off my couch. Snake is among my favorite game characters ever but I'm ashamed to admit I can't figure him out at all in Ultimate yet so to see such high level play shake the tiers up makes me happy.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
You guys see that a Snake player took the Grand Finals on VGBootCamp yesterday? He had a Nikita play against Pikachu that had me jumping off my couch. Snake is among my favorite game characters ever but I'm ashamed to admit I can't figure him out at all in Ultimate yet so to see such high level play shake the tiers up makes me happy.
MVD is a god. The pressure he maintained with the explosives was insane

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Willing to say that Snake is back at high tier to say the least. Dunno if he's as high as he was in Brawl seeing as Brawl mechanics played heavily into Snake's gameplay but seeing him take one of the bigger grand finals this early on makes me happy.

This Nikita play?

Here's the Grand Finals vs ESAM for those who didn't see it:

There's some cool techniques i've learned watching MVD such as keeping a grenade in hand to break off the opponent's future combo, makes Snake kinda 'immune' to being trapped in long combos as long as he hold a grenade. Very very clever imo and especially effective against a Pikachu player. Also, timing the d-throw just right in order to make it combo into a dropped grenade, magnificient!

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Ally is also back playing Snake. He's amazing. Ally vs Holly was so sick to watch.

Top Bottom