• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of shield Zair?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Just curious, is there a way to do a nair, or bair out of shield without letting go of the shield button?

I've been thinking about OoS options with Samus lately too.

I tried doing an OoS instant aerial but as you said only a Zair comes out. Which is kinda awkward for punishing..

I've been told Up B OoS is one of the better punish options but I feel it can be unsafe if it whiffs so I get scared using it unless I NEED someone off me.

Myself, I have a habit of dropping shield and using F tilt, D tilt or neutral jab but not sure if it's just better to just drop shield and move to a better position.

Samus players, what's the consensus on the best OoS plays?

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I've found that Screw Attack OoS only whiffs if you're not close enough to the opponent horizontally. It's one of the fastest OoS options in the entire game and can almost always come out before the opponent's attack endlag is over, or at least before their shield or next attack comes out.
So I only use it when they're right on top of my shield, usually when they tried to cross me up.
Some attacks like Cloud's Cross Slash, or ZSS's plasma ship are too disjointed or push me too far away to hit them with Screw Attack, and then I only use it if I'm on Battlefield so I can quickly land on a platform if I whiff it.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Thats the kicker. Screw attack doesn't have the horizontal range to beat out someone who's good at spacing. Nair could be an answer, Bair could be an answer, but you have to simultaneously let go of shield + jump and then press A. It's a really really awkward input. TBH it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for muscle memory lol. But even then its more precision work for the same reward.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
What I usually end up doing is just tether grabbing out of shield if my opponent is focusing on spacing. It's really slow at frame 15 I think (and other few frames depending on how long it takes for the grapple beam to reach them), but it's good when the opponent thinks they're too well spaced to get punished.
Doesn't work against players that follow up their attacks getting shielded with other quick attacks or spot dodges though, so I mostly just use it for mix ups.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Ehhh, it's not a deal breaker for me tbh. Sammy is still super fun in this game and even if you can't get people off of you as well as some other characters shes very useful as a secondary. It just kinda baffles me because this is a direct callback to Bryan Fury from tekken. He has tools that other characters do but they require more complicated inputs. Difference is that Bryan's soccer kicks are amazing and Sammy's OoS aerials are meh. Lesson learned though, don't get caught in shield and if you do, hope they're in up b range.

Top Bottom