• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of all the ATs, who got the worst fan backlash?

Who received the most backlash?

• Waluigi

Votes: 84 60.0%
  • Isaac

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • Shadow

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Skull Kid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bomberman

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Shovel Knight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ashley

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Knuckles

• Zero

• Krystal

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Spring-Man

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Black Knight

• Other (Specify)

• Lyn

• Takamaru

• Total voters

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Waluigi is definitely the easy answer in this one though I saw some backlash with Isaac and Shadow back with the November 1st Direct. At least the band-aid was ripped off early for Waluigi as opposed to Isaac late in the game.

Waluigi's AT status reveal back in E3 was clearing the only glaring blemish in the opening Ultimate direct. Waluigi's is pretty much the only rejected character to be noticed by one of the country's biggest newspapers and I don't recall any other character to get that kind of notice, Not even Ridley got noticed by major media though I could be wrong on that regard. Ridley had the biggest backlash in Smash 4 after his stage hazard reveal so late in the speculation period and of course it added gas to the fire for detractors to mock all of us Ridley fans saying he's too big and he'll never be playable. And of course being the butt of every joke and whatnot. I was so glad that was put to rest after Ridley's confirmation.

For me, I get so irritated reading comments on YouTube with people saying over and over, "Meme character meme character". I mean holy crap can those people give it up?? They got nothing better to do than trash us Waluigi fans by regurgitating the same bull**** again and again. It feels like most of the Smash community is against us because they fell for the misinformation regarding the two brats sending that stuff to Sakurai. Reggie has stated that he and Nintendo are noticing the demand for Waluigi and the passion for the character. Personally, I believe that the Waluigi haters are among the most toxic in the Smash community with their constant mocking and treating Waluigi fans like ****. Waluigi is becoming a name that people can't ignore anymore. He's getting to being among the top characters not in Smash. Yes the Waluigi reveal did sting, but I got over it since I got other things in life going on. I'm just tired of the unnecessary Waluigi hate.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Wish people wouldn't be so quick to shoot down Isaac fans regarding their "hate" for Sakurai. Yes, they were furious when they saw the AT during the Direct, but so did the Ridley and K. Rool fans when they saw the boss and the mii costume back in the Smash 4 era. Yes, it's absolutely okay to lose your cool and have a bit of a meltdown when your dreams are unceremoniously getting crushed after months of anticipation and a long week of Grinch pressure. But it's not like they hated Sakurai forever, they all settled down rather quickly and took the time to reflect on this whole ordeal. Don't go shaming us for something we did nearly 3 months ago please, it just comes off as a misplaced grudge against us.

As one of the rare Isaac fans who would have loved his AT to return from the start, as soon as that Direct ended I made sure not to go to the Isaac thread for WEEKS because I didn't want to witness the chaos. Having to deal with that kind of toxicity would have been overkill considering how shattered I was from the Grinch leak being fake. Still, I firmly believed that the outrage was legitimate and thus couldn't blame them (nor any other fanbases for that matter) for their disappointment.

Top Bottom