• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Hour has Arrived, Rejoice Pit Mains!

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Finally. Down Tilt. Uair. Orbitals. Up Smash. Everything that I considered most essential to buff has been buffed. This is the dawn of a new era of Pit. I plan to make a thread later analyzing these buffs but for now I celebrate. Thank you balance team you really popped off on this patch!

Firox

Smash Master
Any feedback on the new dtilt? Has anyone confirmed if we have improved combo potential with Fair or Nair?

EDIT: Dtilt is god-tier now. Pit has a new kill confirm with Dtilt->Up air at 120-145ish%. He can also combo Dtilt into Nair or Up Smash at low to mid percent.

Last edited:

Phyras

Smash Rookie
Upair buff might be the real thing for the whole pit playstyle as it becomes a consistent juggle tool
It's doesn't send as much horizontally:
- Hardly influenced by LSI anymore => More reliable kill option (also improved by the knockback buff)
- Doesn't send your opponent at the other side of the stage => More reliable juggle option

Its new framedata make it easier to press your advantage:
- Easier to follow an UpTilt/DownTilt/DownThrow
- Ex 12 frames did felt like you were always throwing the move long before it connected
- More threatening as you're given more time to react to an Airdodge

Firox

Smash Master
Alright no more excuses the character is actually good now so just don't be bad players and you should be able to win.
Couldn't agree more. I honestly think Pit is competitively viable now. He's got great OoS options, a brand new, fairly reliable kill confirm, great juggling tools, great recovery, several grab combos, decent frame data, good projectile, a reflector/aerial defense option and solid combo/poking tool with Dtilt. Time to **** up some ****.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
So what's the verdict now that the dust and excitement has settled a little? Most people don't seem incredibly impressed. I'd be curious to see a Pit main in the future rise up and prove people wrong.

Personally, the fact up-air wasn't a very viable KO option before was really starting to bother me (I also like playing Yoshi, MiiSwordfighter, Corrin, Falco, so no surprise there) and the move felt like it came out too late before so the changes to up-air are by far my favorite out of the adjusted moves. I really like being able to pressure people in the air with it too because of the new launch angle!
The up-smash and down-special changes were also very welcome adjustments with affects that should be felt often as well.

Look, since the beginning of Ultimate this has been my favorite iteration of Pit and I'll still be happy even if he doesn't get any further changes but I think the main concern for the Pits now is buffing the consistency of at least a few of their moves.

It'd be nice if the Nair could more reliably hit and scoop up opponents that are right behind him while moving them closer into the center of the move so they don't drop out.

Similarly, it'd be great if the up-tilt hitbox better matched the animation and hit opponents directly behind him at ground level, scooping up into the rest of the move. Perhaps up-tilt's reliability of combo'ing into up-air could be increased too, working in a wider range of percents.

For better or worse, side-special also has its plethora of consistency issues that could be fixed.

I'd also like it if down-air was made safe if you hit the sweet-spot when someone is on the ground (shield or no shield), experiencing more hit-stun, perhaps even when spiked offstage.

In my mind, these kinds of changes would help further the constant creative pressure this character likes to put up. While other moves are on my mind, the aformentioned ones are my main concern and I'd be curious to see how the character would do after those first.

Phyras

Smash Rookie
So what's the verdict now that the dust and excitement has settled a little? Most people don't seem incredibly impressed. I'd be curious to see a Pit main in the future rise up and prove people wrong.
For most non-pit players, they go through the patch without knowledge of pit inconsistencies
- "up air kills earlier but it's not impressive"
- "Down tilt combo now that's good"
- "Down special was already op"

Well... down special's fine but landing with pit never was the issue, down tilt combo are a bit more consistent mid and high percents.
And up air is "buffed". It would send almost horizontally closing the advantage state, those 12 frames startup felt like a year, and you were in trouble if you missed.
Now it's fixed, it keeps the juggle going, is more surprising and frametraps... and yeah it finally can kill before brown percent.

Up air was a joke and now it's fixed: Pit actually got an advantage state.
That's all.
"Not impressive."
A whole advantage state with this fix alone.

I must say, Nintendo did great.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Up Air buff was huge. What I wanted at the least was for it to be frame 10 and maybe they could make it stronger. They not only made it frame 10 and significantly stronger they changed the angle as well. I KO’d a Luigi with down throw Uair with rage somewhere around ~90%. His DI was probably lacking but these kinds of situations were impossible 40% later than that prepatch. Not only is Uair stronger it also has less end lag, a significant amount less. This allows Pit to shark ledge a lot better as well as his issue with covering top platform on battlefield. Up Smash finally KOs at reasonable percents, ridiculously early percents if Pit has rage. This was one of Pit go to ko options particularly on stages with platforms and it being made stronger is really significant. Dair Up Smash now actually KOs most of the time when you hit it. D tilt has a much larger combo window and if the opponent doesn’t DI can kill confirm into Uair. Given it’s Pit’s best tilt this is a major buff to Pit’s neutral. Down Special probably can do a lot of silly things as an aerial shield now but what I’m focusing on is how it used to be a joke reflector and now finally can be reasonably used in MU such as Young Link and Mega Man who previously would punish you for attempting to reflect. Long story short these buffs were big but people still want to pretend the character is bad. “Low Mid Tier...maybe, if only he had six jumps and his arrows had halved end lag.”
The reality is Pit still has issues and inconsistencies but they don’t prevent him from being good like how Sonic is good despite his inconsistency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom