• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
It's cool, nobody has done anything wrong. We all have our opinions on wobbling, whether it's picking a side or ambivalence.

I talked to Al about it, he's fine with it.

Montreal has it banned so I'm thinking we'll roll with that.

Sounds good, I'll be sure to have another TV setup if he does come!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Pretty much as Bl!tz said, when talking to him and with the possibility of people from other cities coming out for this, as someone who doesn't play Melee, I wanted to try and keep it as fair as I could with suggesting things by thinking of using the most commonly adapted ruleset for not only the past few majors, but for areas such as TO and MTL. I have no stance personally on wobbling or not (though I do know that if it were Brawl to be played as opposed to Melee I personally would have pushed for MK to not be banned, but that's a different story), but I feel that barring any opposition from the tournament organizer, this would probably be something that's most accessible, and can accommodate most people, potentially. It's not to say that those for enabling wobbling are wrong, it's just that this area of Canada is considered "East Coast", and as the people coming out will be from that area zone too, having the typical East Coast rules, whatever they may be, is likely something that would probably be the most fair.

Hopefully you guys understand that, and if anybody has anything about it they wish to discuss with me, just hit me up.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
On an unrelated note, I don't know if anybody is coming today, haha.

Alan said he couldn't, not sure about you Parallax. There's a lot of snow suddenly...

Parralax

Smash Rookie
Hey, sorry for not showing up but by the time I got home on Thursday it was 2 o'clock and I still hadn't had lunch. Also I was pressured into going climbing that afternoon.I am going to try and make it out to the tournament on Sunday but I work 11 until 4. Does anyone know if it is worth showing up around 5 or 6?
Next week is pretty stress free for me, most of the earth science department at Carleton is shut down for PDAC so would anyone be free to play at some point Mon through Thursday?

mighty_swordmaster

Smash Rookie
Hey what's up !

Regarding the tournament rules, in my honest opinion it is great to use the standard tournament rules like: no items, Battlefield, Final Destination, P. stadium, Dream land 64, Yoshi story and Fountain of dreams. And allowing using other stages if both players agree. However for specific oriented rules like banning certain character or movement, as well as specific tactics like egde climbing or "stalling" etc. I think these things shouldn't be banned. Mostly because melee is a game that has lost a little of it's former popularity, and using such strong set of rules can "scare" people new to the game or casual melee gamers. Maybe when a larger amount of melee players is established we could use those more strict set of rules. Idk what do you guys think about this.

Anyway, I've tried to find a copy of melee with no success. I looked on microplay and they didn't have it, and even there was a waitlist in the case they'll get a copy. If anyone of you know of someone who is selling a copy, I'll really really appreciate if you could tell me to get in touch with that person! I really need to practice lol!

see you later guys!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I can make some between Monday and Thursday for sure.

I'll keep an eye out for a copy and redirect you to it Cris. Have you tried random pawnshops?

mighty_swordmaster

Smash Rookie
Thanks Chris!

Honestly I haven't checked pawn shops but I think those places will be next on my melee hunting. If only my brother could send me my own copy from Mexico, but I think the cost of delivery would be much more than the actual game lol!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
It might be, lol

The only other way I could think of getting a copy if you can't find it in stores would be to try sniping it off eBay. Well, you wouldn't have to snipe it, but it might be cheaper lol... Watch out for shipping prices though, they can be terrible.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Maybe my brother and I will bring a SSB setup after brackets are done, haha!

I wonder how long it'll take... also how many people will show up.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Hell no.

Actually I might consider it, but I wouldn't enjoy myself... Unless I tornadoed my way to victory!

I can host Thursday, who's coming?

I think I've convinced somebody to try to make it out. He's a more casual player.

I'll keep trying to get more but I'm skeptical.

ramHolidayBache

Smash Rookie
well im new to this and im actually pretty amazing on ssbb been looking for tournaments for a while how many ppl be attending the alg game fest for the ssbb bracket trying to get recognition ???

ramHolidayBache

Smash Rookie
im looking forward to it!! ssbb is pretty popular in my neighbourhood and im getting tired of playing the same old ppl. hopefully brawl gets it popularity back up cuz i want some more competition out here :p

Parralax

Smash Rookie
I
Hell no.

Actually I might consider it, but I wouldn't enjoy myself... Unless I tornadoed my way to victory!

I can host Thursday, who's coming?

I think I've convinced somebody to try to make it out. He's a more casual player.

I'll keep trying to get more but I'm skeptical.
I will show up, what time 1 o'clock?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
1 pm at the earliest! You can stay until whenever.

ramHolidayBache... I'd beat you with one move. I don't even play the game either.

#trashtalk

I wonder what the rules for Brawl are... specifically the ledge grab rule. >: )

ramHolidayBache

Smash Rookie
1 pm at the earliest! You can stay until whenever.

ramHolidayBache... I'd beat you with one move. I don't even play the game either.

#trashtalk

I wonder what the rules for Brawl are... specifically the ledge grab rule. >: )
if only that were true! id love to see that happen BL!TZ. anywhere i can play yall i live in Ottawa :D

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I'll tell you the address if you'd like to show up. I think you'll be playing Alan more than me, unless you play one of the other two games also. Do you have any pet allergies?

Lock

Smash Apprentice
Hi all - I was just thinking about visiting Canada for spring break from NY, and saw the Algonquin tourney. Would anyone be up for housing me and a friend afterwards for a night (I'm a melee and P:M player)? Lots of fun and food will be brought!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
If nobody else can, I'll see if it's possible. You may need sleeping bags.

We should have a party after the tournament. We could get... SMASHED.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright sounds great! I'll have a setup for Melee and Brawl then.

@Lock: I highly doubt housing will be a problem, I'll just have to check with my parents to see if it's alright.

Lock

Smash Apprentice
Hey, that's amazing news! And I fully support all your post-tourney smash activities. Yeah, I can't wait, it's going to be a fun trip. I can bring a full TV/Wii setup too, if you or the tourney needs it. (not the tourney, from the looks of it)

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I don't think it will be needed for the tournament, but I only have two TVs so if we were to do something after we might need it. Unless someone else volunteers.

I haven't checked yet, I'll do so ASAP. lol

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Slumber party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll check with parents tomorrow. You guys could probably take my room. I can't have a lot of people staying the night, it's already a packed house.

QcRice

Smash Rookie
Sup guys first post on smashboards :O even tho this ****ty-named account was created so long ago,
alright followup to Diakonos' post - trying to represent Montreal lol so do you guys have any more information about the tournament? Player limit? Setups needed/tvs/gear in general? could you guys guide me?:p also does ottawa have their own facebook group? i'm trying to rally the competitive melee scene in mtl to come in numbers! Thanks :)

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
We have a tiny Facebook group. Look up Super Smash Bros - Ottawa. It's really tiny right now... Also not all of us are in the group.

There aren't a lot of players in Ottawa right now, though things seem to be gearing up with this tournament around the corner.

Ask LivewiresXe about tournament stuff! He can answer any questions you have.

QcRice

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to find it on facebook.. i dont get why its become so limited now.. probably too many stalkers lol thanks for the response! Is he the one in charge of the actual tourney that day?

Charlesz

Smash Champion
If there' no ledge grab rule then I'm playing brawl. I don't even care if I time you guys out.

Top Bottom