• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming III

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

The Ohio Smash Initiative is a club for Smash players at Ohio State. The first event in OSI's Charity Gaming series took place on April 23rd and the second event on May 21st, 2011. What makes OSI events special is the organization and planning that most other events cannot offer. The club will provide dedicated pool captions who will be responsible for making sure matches are played quickly and little time is lost. The club has the benefit of over 20 helpers for the event, and will be advertising the event to the entire Ohio State University of 50,000+ students. This means there will be a lot of casual players who will be experiencing tournament Brawl & Melee & Smash 64 for the first time - with that in mind make sure to be polite and nice to the plethora of new players at the event.

In addition to having a large staff for the event, tons of casual players, and a great venue, OSI also offers a dedicated stream for the event and has purchased 32 CRT TV's. That means if you bring a wii/Brawl or gamecube/Melee you can get your venue fee waived (if the setup is used for pool play) and there will be 2 TVs per pool as well as several TVs for freeplay available during the entire tournament. In addition, projector screens will be used so people can keep an eye on the bracket as it is updated. Finally, food and parking (only $5 for all day) is conveniently within and right next to the venue. There is a $5 discount on your venue fee if you bring a Gamecube/Melee and/or Wii/Brawl that is used.

Under the vision of the President of OSI, Ray Tan, these events are all about giving and less about filling the pot for the winners. Your $5 donation will be used to help children who are suffering from terminal illness. The idea is that the OSI team will visit children in local hospitals and determine what their needs are - many of these children are confined to bed and are unable to move or participate in 'normal' physical activities. This is where gaming comes in, as the OSI crew will use the money generated from your generous donations to buy things like video games consoles, video games, board games, books, movies, and any other media that will make the lives of these children more comfortable. Our hope is over time we will detail exactly what has been done with your donation and what children you have helped, so that everyone who has participated in these events can feel a special connection.

Ohio State Student Union at Ohio State University
1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210

The event will be held in the "Great Hall Meeting Room", room numbers 1101,1103, & 1105 on the first floor (same location at Charity Gaming I). The room can hold upwards of 300 people and is 5,070 square feet.

Click here for parking information!

Schedule
October 22nd, 2011
11:00AM: Doors open - Registration for Brawl & Melee Singles and Doubles begins
12:30PM: Brawl & Melee Doubles Begins (double elimination bracket)
3:30PM: Brawl & Melee Singles Pools Begins (8 pools per game, top 4 advance)
6:00PM: Melee Double Elimination Singles Bracket Begins
7:00PM: Brawl Double Elimination Singles Bracket Begins
10:00PM: Begin packing up

Food
Food is available in the OSU Student Union and in the surrounding area. The Student Union features the following eating choices

Just outside the Union within 5 minutes walking distance is Chipotle, Jimmy Johns, United Dairy Farmers, Mark Pi's, Panera, Five Guys, and several pizza places.

Money
Venue Fee: $5 (waived if your wii and copy of Brawl is used for the tournament)
Mandatory Charity Donation: $5
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $5 per person
Entrance fee for Doubles (2v2): $5 per person

Total entry for both Singles and Doubles (either game) w/o a setup: $20
Total entry for both Singles and Doubles (either game) w/ a setup: $15

Singles Payout (*If under 32 entrants likely to change)
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Payout (*if under 8 teams likely to change)
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%
General Gameplay Rules
Brawl Rules: We will be using the Unity Ruleset.
Melee Rules: We will be using the same rules that we used for Charity Gaming I.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Director (Chris Brown) and Tournament Organizer (Ray Tan) reserves the right to remove you from the venue at their discretion for any reason.

Note: The Ohio Smash Initiative and its members, the Ohio State Student Union and its affiliates, Ray Tan, Chris Brown, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will Chris Brown, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Pools and Bracket Information
Information on teams will be posted as the schedule is developed.

Singles
Singles will be run with pools followed by a double elimination bracket.

Pool ties will be broken as follows:
  • If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
  • If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people and it is an A > B > C > A scenario, then whoever has the better game record continues (wins - loses), if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used between those two players.
  • If all three players are tied in sets and games then 1 stock 2 minute overtime will be played between each of the three players. Best of one. This continues until the tie is broken.
Attendence List

Setups
TV
The Ohio Smash Initiative will be providing 32 TVs for the event.
Wii

oliman

Smash Journeyman
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

but wait you put it a day after rapture lol

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
doublepost but w/e

are you ever going to change the listing to brawl/melee?
because I never would have bothered to click this if i didn't already know what this tourney was since its only listed as brawl.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm a little annoyed that you're ignoring this thread Alpha Zealot, I understand that you may be busy or w/e but you chose to be the tourney director, so you should be checking this thread everyday and you shouldn't be listing this as brawl only.

Its been like 2 weeks or something.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
A Play N' Trade tournament here in Columbus who have all three smash games are bringing in Kels, MI, and PA. With a Brawl/Melee/64 listing I wonder who this tourney could bring in.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol I sat here staring at your sig for like 5 minutes :p

and yea, the reason it should be listed as both brawl/melee is because:
1. ITS A MELEE TOURNEY TOO!
2. if you only list it as brawl its gonna get maybe 10-20 people in the melee bracket... last time I checked, melee wasn't a side tourney.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
ok cleveland is coming to this tourney. @king beef ill mm you for $2 if you go

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
i really do think you should switch the date to maybe a week earlier cause theres another big midwest tourney on this date

Dees

Smash Journeyman
So last time me and my friends missed this because of last minute stuff. Hopefully this time we can make the trip down. If we do come it will be about 7 of us.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
yeah try to make the date earlier (or change it at the least) so more people can come, LIKE TOPE n others who r goin to the tournament in ann arbor or whatever

Excision

Smash Rookie
So last time me and my friends missed this because of last minute stuff. Hopefully this time we can make the trip down. If we do come it will be about 7 of us.
I'm one of these guys. We're most likely going at this point, just need to tie up some loose ends and we should all be there. :D

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Hey everyone. I'm a new Ohio smasher. Just moved here from Maryland. Hoping to go to this and meet all of ya and get our smash on.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Dang, I wont make the singles because of classes. It looks like I might be able to come for some money matches and friendlies though if anyone is up for it. I prolly won't be there till around 5pm or so

Master WGS

Smash Lord
See, now I'm stuck. I wanna go to the MI tournament because it'll be bigger, but it's a 4 hour drive. THIS will likely be much smaller, but is ~ 20 minute drive.

Of course, though still doubtful, my odds of walking home with MONEY from this tournament are much greater... Hmmmm....

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Okay, now it seems that I can go xD The 22nd works perfectly!! Hope to see everyone there! ^_^

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Anyone who's going to that Melee tourney up in NEOH should bring up this tourney to people who aren't going to The Big House in Michigan.

Top Bottom