• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Presents: Charity Gaming III

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
I'm in for this. Need to get some practice in, though -- been on campus a week and haven't played anyone other than my roommate.

Looking forward to it.

edit: lol, just saw your post, Sparkaura. I live in Morrill Tower; let me know if you want to get in a few games.

edit2: or... anyone, for that matter.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
yo i live on campus mssg me if u wanna melee and ill send u my #

im pretty good tho so ill prolly **** u

Ray T

Smash Cadet
The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH USA
Response

Hey All,

This is Ray T with The Ohio Smash Initiative.

Sorry I haven't been active on these boards; in fact, I haven't realized until recently that there was a thread made for this event and have been busy since classes started. Let me address a few points made.

For one, the date is firm at Oct 22. We will not be changing the date for another tournament; in fact, I booked the great hall meeting room for Oct 22 knowing full well that the Michigan tournament would take place the same day. The reason is simple- This is the only non-football game Saturday the entire quarter (10 weeks) and regardless of your views on how well OSU's team is doing, you do not want to fight for parking that day. Heck, WE don't want to fight for parking transporting all of our televisions, power strips and extension cords and other peripherals to the event and have it start on time. We are happy to be providing TV's already so you guys only have to bring consoles and games to count as a set up so please bear with us here. The other scheduling restriction was of course, getting the venue itself, between all of the other conferences happening at Ohio State. Once Fall (football) quarter is over, we plan on having tournaments with increased frequency. There is a chance we may do another tournament this quarter though, room availability pending.

Second, I realize that a lot of you on this thread are students at Ohio State. Therefore, I urge all of you to come to OSI's informational meeting this Friday, Sept 23 for our informational meeting. There are two sessions, one from 3-3:30pm and one from 5pm-5:30pm and the meeting will take place in the Senate Chamber on the second floor of the Ohio Union Building, the same building where we hold our tournaments. We will be talking about many things- our tournament coming up in October, possible games we will also be doing in the future and how you can help out with our organization, a charity that aims to benefit under-privileged and terminally-ill children. You will also get to meet the Smash community on campus at Ohio State, including some avid players in OSI itself. Perhaps you can even become one yourself ;)

Finally, Chris Brown, if you could change the listing for this event to include Melee, Brawl, 64 and other games? We plan on hosting tournaments for all three smash bros games for sure this time around, and are considering doing other fighting games at least, because those would be easily manageable. The ones in consideration right now are Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the newest Street fighter game. If people have suggestions as well, I urge them to come to our meeting as that is where we will be taking suggestions for other games to add.

I hope to meet as many of you that can come to the meeting as possible tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Ray T

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Baker West just so we are clear. Also, I will attend the meeting ray T thanks. I tried looking for you guys during the involvement fair but hell it was mega inconvient

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Agreed, the involvement fair was a super congested and OSI's table was assigned to the the performance hall, one of the smaller rooms. It also might have been hard to find, since we're classified under "Awareness and Activism" and one might not know to look there if he or she doesn't know we're also a charity.

Regardless, tell your interested friends to come to the meeting as well, if they missed us at the involvement fair, otherwise they wouldn't know about it.

Ray T

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
248-875-6735 feel free to call me if any of u guys wanna play melee i havent played enough since i got here

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I live in Mount Vernon and live on campus at MVNU. I am in some need of some practice because I haven't found any other melee players here. If anyone wants to smash sometime, feel free to message me or something and we can put something together!

SDM

Smash Cadet
Just to let everyone know, if you couldn't make it to the information meeting today for whatever reason and want to play with others in the community, we created a "Community Boostter" list for people to organize smashfests or find others with the same interests in those games. The goal of the Community Booster is to jumpstart the gaming community for their respective games. If you want to be added to the Community Booster list, PM me with your name/alias e-mail, your phone number (if possible), and which Community Booster(s) you would be interested in.

So far, we have Community Boosters for the following:

Code:
Super Smash Bros. 64
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Other Fighting Games (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Blaz Blue, etc.)
G4
Halo (Specify your version)
Call of Duty
Here is a sample PM if you would like to join a Community Booster

Subject: OSI Community Booster

John Smith
jsmith@email.com
555 555 5555
Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Other Fighting Games (Marvel vs Capcom)
And again, thank you to those that took their time coming to the infromation meeting today.

Duckman

Smash Rookie
Dang, wish I read this thread earlier. Been kinda chillin on campus...my resident hall is having a small smash 64 "tourny" (pretty sure everyone there including me will be terrible) so that made me remember smashboards.

Might come for the oct. 22 tourny, might not...been outa practice. Need something other than lvl 9 computers to play.

Though, I am a bit interested if a significant amount of people at the meeting played MvC3? I'm pretty bad, but its quite fun when there's no lag.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
I missed the info meeting. >___> lost track of time. If anyone wnts to practice just pm me. I have a wii but no tv atm. Also I play brawl...I don't own melee

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Please send your contact info to SDM above, in the format he requested. We will be in touch with you about other players of the games you are interested in and set up some gatherings, and you can find out more about our organization too and the upcoming Oct 22 tournament. And Duckman, there will be free play at the tournament all day long with just the venue fee, along with free Coke products. You are under no obligation at all to enter any of the tournaments. Speaking of which, I can also secure a popcorn machine and snow cone machine for the event as well.

SDM

Smash Cadet
Dang, wish I read this thread earlier. Been kinda chillin on campus...my resident hall is having a small smash 64 "tourny" (pretty sure everyone there including me will be terrible) so that made me remember smashboards.

Might come for the oct. 22 tourny, might not...been outa practice. Need something other than lvl 9 computers to play.

Though, I am a bit interested if a significant amount of people at the meeting played MvC3? I'm pretty bad, but its quite fun when there's no lag.
There is at least one other person that is interested in Marvel vs Capcom 3. If you'd like to join the MvC 3 Community Booster, send me a PM.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
If people have suggestions as well, I urge them to come to our meeting as that is where we will be taking suggestions for other games to add.
If you guys could manage a station or two for Super Smash Land, that'd be great! Just a laptop and a handful of wiimotes would be all that is necessary.

http://www.danfornace.com/games/super-smash-land/

hope to meet as many of you that can come to the meeting as possible tomorrow.
Yarg, I didn't check smashboards until this was well over with. My bad.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
That smashland idea is interesting Paradigm. You have a copy on your laptop? We can see about having at least one station there as a pilot or something for people to try out, but I'm unsure as to the popularity to merit it as a tournament; having it as a small side tourney might be a possibility though.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Yeah, it probably won't get enough for a tournament, but I'm sure a few people there would like to go at it at SSL.

Sadly my laptop won't suffice:
(1) It runs a fairly stripped down version of Linux, and Super Smash Land is Windows-only (at the moment). I might be able to get something hacked up with WINE or Virtualbox, but I wouldn't count on it.
(2) My laptop doesn't have bluetooth (and hence, no wiimotes)
(3) Getting non-bluetooth controllers to work will likely be quite a pain due to my... unusual setup.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the lack of SSL if I'm not putting up my own hardware. Figured some people would be interested in it, though.

SDM

Smash Cadet
If you guys could manage a station or two for Super Smash Land, that'd be great! Just a laptop and a handful of wiimotes would be all that is necessary.

Yarg, I didn't check smashboards until this was well over with. My bad.
I could install Smash Land on my laptop as a pilot but only one Wiimote. I'm also a bit hesitant with entrusting my laptop to others and making it unaccountable. Maybe we can limit its usage can keep it supervised?

By the way, you can still go to the Thursday meetings for OSI at 7pm in the Union.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm not entirely sure how you feel about it, but Ray there's also something of an established scene that you might want to get into contact with in terms of MvC and SF. They're also on the SRK (Shoryuken) forums.

We meet every Wednesday night over at Zeno's on 3rd Avenue not too far from Campus. Kiester probably has the contact of the people in question, as I don't so you might want to talk to them. They also are setting up Ranbats-like Buckeye Bar Battles on select Sunday nights that started yesterday. There will be one on October 1st and they are in adding in Smash as well. Currently there are a good collection of Melee players that show up on the Wednesday night fests, so I think some collab would be nice.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Might be coming to this if there are some Bead Art commissions to deliver on this date.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
I could install Smash Land on my laptop as a pilot but only one Wiimote. I'm also a bit hesitant with entrusting my laptop to others and making it unaccountable. Maybe we can limit its usage can keep it supervised?
Yeah, I figured that would be the situation with most people :(

C'est la vie. There'll be other smash games for me to play; as long as there is Melee I can live without SSL.

By the way, you can still go to the Thursday meetings for OSI at 7pm in the Union.
Thursdays at 7:00PM are all booked for me for the foreseeable future, sadly. It's alright, I'll see you guys at the tournaments d:

We meet every Wednesday night over at Zeno's on 3rd Avenue not too far from Campus.
Wednesday's dno't work for me either, or I would totally go to these ):

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
smashland looks kinda interesting... but is anybody in the P:Mbr going? It'd be nice to have a Project M station... like the little tourney version of the game, not just the public demo version.

it'd be pree cool side thing.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
What is Project M exactly? I realize it's like melee physics with brawl characters but is it some piece of data that's placed on an sd card that you just put into your wii alongside the brawl disc? Or is it a stand alone game or a home-brew program?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
It's code put on an SD card and run through Riivolution/Homebrew Ray. Though my boy MX knows OWN1N aka Falco400 who is one of the guys developing PM. So if MX goes, I guess I could get him to ask Falco400 to come down from Cleveland.

:phone:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
who is Falco400 and how would one contact him? I want to play all teh cleveland smashers. unless his real name is owen, because then I know him. kinda.

Edit: Oh wait... I probs do kinda know him... He's a member of the P:Mbr who is super duper white yes? He said he wasn't coming when I asked him. (unless he's a different person than the one I'm thinking of...)

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I remember that story. You and MX were at like a four person tourey or so and he beasted on you. You told your brother who happend to main Yoshi like him right?

:phone:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Still not 100% sure if we're talking about the same person, because he never told me his smash name... He just sounds like the only P:Mbr member I know of in cleveland.

SDM

Smash Cadet
If anyone wants to bring Project M during the tournament on October 22nd, I think it would be easy to accommodate as long as you also bring a Wii with Riivolution pre-installed, assuming Ray is okay with it, of course. By the way, we'll have a short meeting on September 29 (tomorrow!) in the Union at Sphinx Centennial Leadership Suite located on the second floor.

D

Deleted member

I'm definitely gonna make it out to this. If not with Solecalibur, then I'll take the bus.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ok. what this really needs. is rotating platforms with melee setups on them. it'd be so cool if we could play while spinning, much more epic that way.

Top Bottom