• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Origins of Gamertags and In-Game Tags?

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
EZPZ example: Switch's "4GAH!" tag means "For Gallo". NY/NJ apparently has a tradition/convention of giving shout-outs in their in-game tags via "4----" followed by, most likely, an abbreviation of the person's name they are playing for, but obviously it's not limited to their scene. Switch plays in Gallo's name because when Switch was getting into PM, Gallo gave him helpful encouragement and reassurance about his potential for the game.

Malachi's gamertag is just his first name.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Kirin is a monster in the Monster Hunter series. The day before my first tournament, my brother asked me what my tag would be and as he said that, I was getting carted (died) to the monster again. I just stuck with it.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Battletech was one of the first real sci-fi franchises I got into as a teenager, and before I started playing fighting games seriously, I thought "It'd be pretty cool to use the in-universe title for mech pilots as a name if I ever enter any events." ...The rest is history.

Osudude5

Smash Rookie
Mine is "shrinky dink" because i got the nickname in freshman year after one of my friends told me I looked like a Shrinky Dink left in the oven too long.

TOVL

Smash Cadet
Tovl
Two Ounces of Vodka Later

That's not why I made my tag but after a few months of having it somebody made that acronym that replaced the previous acronym. This one is probably better

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
I will tell you about all my names

My first online name was Hollyboy10: The name of my dog, my gender then the age I made that account.
The name I use right now is Crosstails20: Reference to the anime Akame ga Kill where this green haired guy uses a weapon called Crosstails, but then died on episode 20. This is also the name where I entered my first actual smash tournament where I used the tag CROSS, as a simplified version of my full name. Now I use a combo of tags Cross, Tails, CT20 and Crosstails20 each with different controls. Cross is the tag with bidou controls, Tails is the one with smash stick, CT20 is the one is the one with special stick and Crosstails20 is the one with attack stick
And in the future I may change my name to Gear Rat: This is a play on my Real Name and is somewhat a reference to my personality where when I get something going I am letting those gears in my mind turn.

Last edited:

Fazesupernappa

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
HONC#140
Well, my gamertag is Nessbound (it was already taken on this site for some reason lol)
That came from me just really liking earthbound and the main character ness, so I combined the two and it just kind of stuck
My in game tag is Shaq, because Shaquille O'Neal is excellent
And fazesupernappa came from me and my friend sitting in science class bored so we were talking about dbz and I was like "What if nappa could go super sayin?" and me and my friend started talking about it and somehow it became my name for everything that isnt a game and I added faze in because I thought mlg memes were funny like 4 years ago

maxwave

Smash Rookie
My gamertag is : ShootMax . Meaning : I normally play first person shooter game. I love to clear the ground by shooting maximum. Got my tag from gamertagorigin

Top Bottom