• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Origin of the name "Gentleman"

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I figured I'd post this here, since it's relevant. Everyone knows it's the Gentleman but nobody really knows why.

The origin of the name "Gentleman"

I'm in Japan, and I went to a tournament this weekend with a lot of the good players. (Mach Dash won, by the way, which might make you guys happy.) And I took this opportunity to find out why the "Mach Punch Cancel" (as it's called in Japan) is known in America as the "Gentleman."

At TG6 (Tournament Go 6), back in 2004, Isai and a Japanese Falcon player, Kein (who at the time was known not as "Kein" but as "Gentleman") were playing Melee and Kei (not to be confused with Kein - this is the WA/Japan smasher from SKYPAL) said, "Wow, how do you guys do that jab cancel so consistently?"

Isai said, It's easy, you just hit A, A, Z. And Gentleman said, Wait, what? You can just hit A, A, A.

So the two of them began a competition to see who could do the jab cancel the most consistently. Finally Isai screwed it up, and got the rapid punches, and Kei exclaimed "It's the Gentleman!"

And apparently Kei started spreading the name around the place, and it stuck to this day.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
posting after toph!

also smash history is the best

Velox

Smash Ace
In the 1300s, it wouldn't be uncommon to see English gents holding down and thrice pressing thy 'A' whilst relaxing during the festival season.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
you know, by becoming the best, and winning his way up, and then by sandbagging every match after that, isai had no real reason to lose. He made sure he stayed the best. He remained a legend by making everyone think he was never using his full potential.

D

Deleted member

topic was great until gay peach players gayed it up gayly

g-regulate

Smash Hero
whenever i mess up the gentleman and go into multi-punches, i just call it the "fake gentleman" and act like i meant to do it on purpose. so basically i invented the fake gentleman

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
so if isai had won that little contest...

we would be calling the technique the "isaiah" instead of the gentleman?
I think Isai realized that that would sound pretty silly and, as aforementioned, sandbagged. So, thus, the hidden meaning is that Isai is the gentleman for letting Gentleman win.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Before I read this thread, I just made a very lazy and poor assumption that it was called the gentleman because gentlemen wouldn't go around jabbing and kneeing people, so it was funny. I'm ignorant, smash history ftw.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
wow, awesome thread I've always wondered where that came from

"the gentleman makes a difference"
-my friend tom after ****** me at some falcon dittos

Top Bottom