• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Organizing a tournament that's inviting for English speaking Smashers in Tokyo

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

Hello.

The Who & What

I'm Zipzo. I live in Japan (where I found my beautiful wife). At heart I've always been a huge Super Smash Bros fan. I'd really like to get a strong community going here that's comprised of folks who go to Smashboards (or hell, anyone really).

I'm considering going for a proof of concept (both with this post and the actual event itself) by hosting a tournament here in Tokyo. If it turns out well, I would definitely make it a regular thing, and I would even look in to spot reservations that are more fitting (and sizeable) than my home to play at. For the first run, I'm not expecting a huge turn out or anything so I think my apartment will have to do.

I'm looking to breed and cultivate a strong, consistent, English-friendly community over here in Japan. I am mostly interested in hosting Melee, Project M, and Brawl, but I am not against the presence of the N64 version, but I lack any kind of N64 or the game itself. I know it's available at a few shops in Akihabara so I'm not against acquiring it if there's enough demand but we'll see.

The Where

The first tournament I'm planning to host will be at my home. It's a reasonably sized apartment meant for one couple but we've crammed lots of folks in before. We have a reasonably sized TV, and places to sit/stand.

If this meet-up goes well I'm planning on looking in to spots that I can get on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for some smash.

My nearest Station is Gotanno. I live practically a 30 second walk from that station. If you've never been past that station, it's 2 stations north of Kita-senju, which you can reach taking the Hibiya line.

The When

I recently acquired fiber optic internet (200 down, 100 up) and I'm planning to make a stream out of this if it ends up bringing in enough smashers. That internet will not be implemented for another (at most) 1 and a half weeks due to scheduling of the technician. I'm shooting between the dates of May 21st-June 5th. I leave for on a trip to Thailand on June 6th and I will return on the 14th or so, looking to host more (or any).

The Nitty Gritty

I have but one Wii U and one copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl (and as a result, Project M), which means no GC slots. I also have a PC that comfortably runs Super Smash Bros Melee, Project M, and Super Smash Bros Brawl (and potentially Smash 64 but no controller adapter to speak of there), but obviously controllers are an issue.

Essentially what this means is I will need volunteers with equipment in order to really kick start this event, because my equipment is not exactly as ideal as the good ol'e cube when it comes to Melee. Again, there are shops in Akihabara that have these things easily obtainable, so I'm not against the idea of acquiring the materials to make this happen only if there happens to be enough interest in this becoming a regular thing.

I'm thinking we could do a cash prize tournament. I will do all the dirty work with setting up a bracket and all the organizational details beforehand because I'm thinking that every entree could go down 500y-1000y then we could have a respectable earnings for the winner for our very first tournament, but I'm down for a friendly fest for our first time out as well. Rulesets will be the standards observed in many of the most prolific tournaments held in North America, and recognized by the Smash Boards as the "Standard".

In conclusion...

How many folks would be interested in making something like this happen? Then ultimately making it a regular thing? I'm just mostly gauging interest here, as I'd really like to get a regular smash community that's open to english speaking smashers going here in Tokyo.

Thanks for the read, let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
Same with Jman, we have at least three people at Yokota who are serious about smash ;]

I'll be busy the rest of May but June is perfect.

Your initiative in setting up the tournament is much appreciated. We'll do our best to spread the word ;]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Already "several" + 3 players + me, to me that already sounds like enough to get this party started.

If I could get a list of smash alias's of everyone that'd be involved, that'd be neat, and I could start seeing what our first tournament bracket would look like. What equipment do either of you two groups have? It'd be nice to compile what we have available.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
I'm moving to Gunma prefecture (2 hours from Tokyo) on July 26th and will be there for at least a year. I'll BYOC but probably not bring a cube or anything. I'd definitely be down to play and do tournaments, though. I mostly do melee but PM is tolerable. Currently ranked 8th on the Minnesota PR.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am pretty far from Tokyo (Kumamoto) so I doubt I'll be able attend any future events but I fully support an English-friendly Smash community in Japan! Let me know if I can do anything to help spread the word around, promote it, or help with anything else.

Last edited:

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
I will be in Ibaraki prefecture until the 29th of June. So if there's any plans within 2 weeks, I would be interested.
I play melee, brawl, and PM (fairly average at all of them) and can speak a little japanese.

S4C

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-2053-6437
Hey! I just saw this! I just organized a big smash bros tournament last Friday. I'm wanting to start a strong community. It was held in Tokyo. Specifically at Temple university at Tamachi station. We have lounge there that's free to use! Let's work together and improve the smash scene!

Last edited:

Mijusuu

Smash Rookie
Hey there, i just saw this. My name is Mijusuu and i'm from Germany. I am looking forward to go to Tokyo for holiday next year. April/May i guess.
So it would be great if the japanese scene keep playing and there will maybe be a tournament or something like that ^.^
Feel free to pm me. I will often take a look here too.
And yeah, i play melee :D

Razooky

Smash Rookie
My brother and I will be in tokyo and yokosuka late december, would love to get in contact with some of ya'll to play! I guess contact me here or @r2bball on instagram/twitter this is my first time using this

IdSaySomething

Smash Rookie
Hello.

The Who & What

I'm Zipzo. I live in Japan (where I found my beautiful wife). At heart I've always been a huge Super Smash Bros fan. I'd really like to get a strong community going here that's comprised of folks who go to Smashboards (or hell, anyone really).

I'm considering going for a proof of concept (both with this post and the actual event itself) by hosting a tournament here in Tokyo. If it turns out well, I would definitely make it a regular thing, and I would even look in to spot reservations that are more fitting (and sizeable) than my home to play at. For the first run, I'm not expecting a huge turn out or anything so I think my apartment will have to do.

I'm looking to breed and cultivate a strong, consistent, English-friendly community over here in Japan. I am mostly interested in hosting Melee, Project M, and Brawl, but I am not against the presence of the N64 version, but I lack any kind of N64 or the game itself. I know it's available at a few shops in Akihabara so I'm not against acquiring it if there's enough demand but we'll see.

The Where

The first tournament I'm planning to host will be at my home. It's a reasonably sized apartment meant for one couple but we've crammed lots of folks in before. We have a reasonably sized TV, and places to sit/stand.

If this meet-up goes well I'm planning on looking in to spots that I can get on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for some smash.

My nearest Station is Gotanno. I live practically a 30 second walk from that station. If you've never been past that station, it's 2 stations north of Kita-senju, which you can reach taking the Hibiya line.

The When

I recently acquired fiber optic internet (200 down, 100 up) and I'm planning to make a stream out of this if it ends up bringing in enough smashers. That internet will not be implemented for another (at most) 1 and a half weeks due to scheduling of the technician. I'm shooting between the dates of May 21st-June 5th. I leave for on a trip to Thailand on June 6th and I will return on the 14th or so, looking to host more (or any).

The Nitty Gritty

I have but one Wii U and one copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl (and as a result, Project M), which means no GC slots. I also have a PC that comfortably runs Super Smash Bros Melee, Project M, and Super Smash Bros Brawl (and potentially Smash 64 but no controller adapter to speak of there), but obviously controllers are an issue.

Essentially what this means is I will need volunteers with equipment in order to really kick start this event, because my equipment is not exactly as ideal as the good ol'e cube when it comes to Melee. Again, there are shops in Akihabara that have these things easily obtainable, so I'm not against the idea of acquiring the materials to make this happen only if there happens to be enough interest in this becoming a regular thing.

I'm thinking we could do a cash prize tournament. I will do all the dirty work with setting up a bracket and all the organizational details beforehand because I'm thinking that every entree could go down 500y-1000y then we could have a respectable earnings for the winner for our very first tournament, but I'm down for a friendly fest for our first time out as well. Rulesets will be the standards observed in many of the most prolific tournaments held in North America, and recognized by the Smash Boards as the "Standard".

In conclusion...

How many folks would be interested in making something like this happen? Then ultimately making it a regular thing? I'm just mostly gauging interest here, as I'd really like to get a regular smash community that's open to english speaking smashers going here in Tokyo.

Thanks for the read, let me know what you think.
If this is still going on and is running Ultimate, I would be interested.

Top Bottom