• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Organizing a melee event - Need help with video config (crt to a big screen)

SBTHGelo

Smash Rookie
So in my small country of Honduras I have recently discovered that there is a massive community that travels to events around latin america even some that have been sponsored by smash.gg in some places and all that... So for so long I have desired to make a huge smash bros tournament in this city and invite people over to watch and get it noticed so it gets recognized by people in the country and it earns some respect. I have ran to a very difficult problem that I do not know the solution to;

Basically I do not know who to contact or who the smash bros melee content producers are to ask them for this info but here it goes

We have CRTs. somehow the community that we are in owns them. I myself own a gamecube and a copy of melee. I want to be able to transmit the CRT TV content onto a very big tv or possibly even a projector so that everyone can see.
The problem is I do not know how. I doubt I can STREAM it since the internet speeds here are very bad however I do want to project what is being done in the crt tv onto a bigger screen or the projector. I just do not know how. What hardware do I need? We have powerful pcs in fact we use pcs for 20xx and all that but some people would probably want to play on crt tvs so I was wondering how to do it. How can I get the image of a crt onto a projector or a big screen. Anyone has any recommendations or suggestions?

A friend also has a wii if that helps with anything.

I would also appreciate tips on how to properly host an event and what to offer and what to do etc... but mainly the crt tv stuff.

Thank you once again. I love this community and it makes me really passionate about gaming in general.

Pauer

The Pauerful
What hardware do I need?
This will just be about getting a beamer to work. First of all, you can simply split the video signal from the gamecube with a Y-Splitter like these ones. Then you will need two more extension cables like these. Connect those cables to the splitters. Then one cable will go to the TV, the other one will go to the beamer.
If the beamer accepts the cables (like in the bottom right in this picture) then all you have to do is plug them in. If the beamer does not accept those cables, you will have to convert the signal using some sort of converter, like this one. That's it. Now, the quality of the video that the beamer displays won't be great but I think it's enough to watch, I suggest you just try it out. Many of the things I listed you find in local electronics stores.

If you want significantly better setup, then it's probably best if you record the footage on a PC and output the video to the beamer from the PC. For that, read throught Kadano's perfect setup thread. It's quite technical so if you have any questions, you can ask them here.
If you decide to record the matches but you can't stream, then you could still record them locally and then upload them to youtube. I'm sure people would appreciate it.
But I think it is very likely that you have enough upload speed to stream. The maximum allowed bandwidth on twitch is 3500kbps, meaning 3.5mbit upload speed.

SBTHGelo

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for your help. I will try this out if I can find the parts if not I will order them. Hopefully it turns out good and I can organize a nice event.

Top Bottom