• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orbital gate assault

Baddest bih

Smash Cadet
Is there a particular reason on why this stage never made it into ultimate. I was really looking forward to playing it since I never got my hands on a Wii U. Apparently it took them a year to design it but decided to throw it away for some reason. Somebody should start a petition to bring it back

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Meh, the stage was all over the place and it was hard to concentrate on the actual fight going on. I’m kinda glad it got removed in favor of more stable stages. Although it was a shame they did spend a year on it, but it be like that.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'd imagine the part where it took an entire year to make contributed to it not returning. Something tells me no one wanted to deal with that nightmare again

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Apparently it took them a year to design it but decided to throw it away for some reason. Somebody should start a petition to bring it back
This sums up why they didn't bring it back. Considering every stage was remade, remaking a stage that took a year to create would be a pain in the ass.

Also, petitions do absolutely nothing when it comes to Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem with Orbital Gate Assault has to do with the amount of stuff that you have to deal with during a match. That makes it very tough to do a competitive battle. The Omega form stage variant is much more tolerable though.

Also, while this may be an aesthetic thing, the voice acting for the special conversations is extremely terrible.

In terms of development, since we are talking about a stage that took over a year to fully make, the developers likely didn't want to mess around with making it compatible with Ultimate.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The problem with Orbital Gate Assault has to do with the amount of stuff that you have to deal with during a match. That makes it very tough to do a competitive battle. The Omega form stage variant is much more tolerable though.

Also, while this may be an aesthetic thing, the voice acting for the special conversations is extremely terrible.

In terms of development, since we are talking about a stage that took over a year to fully make, the developers likely didn't want to mess around with making it compatible with Ultimate.
Competitiveness is a nonfactor in like 95% of the stages.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd imagine the part where it took an entire year to make contributed to it not returning. Something tells me no one wanted to deal with that nightmare again
They didn't remodel the Wii U stages. They would, however, need to deal with relighting the stage.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Point taken in a game that has so many stages, and yet, very few stages that are not Battlefield or Final Destination replicas are even competitively viable.
Granted, I think the community is too picky or there might be more than eight or ten played on.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Even casually, it was kind of unbearable to play on. The missile crashing and the Arwing section was fairly stupid to deal with. Combine that with the moving background, and it was just hard to really tell what was going on while you were also dodging all the crap thrown at you. I'll pass. Corneria any day over this stage.

Geicosuave

Smash Rookie
I assumed that it got removed because it would be weird to have stage morph work with it. Probably the same with vertically scrolling stages like Rumble Falls.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I, for one, am glad to see it gone. I do enjoy the more interactive stages and never really had too much of a problem with the likes of Big Blue or Rumble Falls, but this stage was just a chore. It felt like there was never any ground to walk on since the platforms kept changing so quickly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Generally, there are four different reasons stages didn't come back in Ultimate: incompatibility with 8 player Smash, incompatibility with Stage Morph, broken mechanics outside of the source game, or assets specifically ported over from another game.

I'd argue that Orbital Gate Assault fit three of these. Mechanically, it was generally considered one of the least popular stages in Smash for Wii U, so that didn't help it. But I also think it was one of the stages that took up a LOT of resources to run effectively. If I remember correctly, it was one of the stages in Smash 4 that occasionally struggled to run in a more chaotic four person match. I imagine 8 players would only exacerbate that problem, especially with a character like the Ice Climbers in play. I just don't think the engine could handle the strain of the stage in addition to everything that Ultimate was promising. The original stage also probably didn't have the kind of payoff they had hoped for all the effort invested, so I'm sure that also made them not super keen to put the effort into making it return or finding workarounds.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I had no idea that this stage alone took them a year. That is a lot of waste time and resources. I can see why it never came back. And to be honest, if no one ever said anything and I didn't stumble across this thread I would had forgotten that it didn't make it over.

The stage was too janky online anyway. When lag hit, it was the worst stage to be on. And lag hit far too often for it to be remotely enjoyable.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Don't forget the glitch that caused many final smashes to cause all platforms to disappear. People would just continually SD until the final smash ended and a platform could spawn.

Top Bottom