• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I just remember that we are 5 days away from Advance Wars' 20th anniversary! If we get that rumored Nintendo Direct, Advance Wars HAS to be in it! I also hope Nintendo of America tweets about it. Is it safe to say they will?
Like, if AW is in the Direct, is it safe to say NoA would separately tweet about the news from the Direct, potentially acknowledging the anniversary at the same time?

Yeah, seems in-character for them. They enjoy using anniversaries to promote upcoming products.
And this would be a first for the series because Nintendo has never done anything for the anniversary of any Advance Wars game (or any Wars game at that).

This reminds me of when Nintendo ignored Metroid's 30th anniversary back in 2016 but couldn't stop talking about it's 35th anniversary this year. Hopefully it's the same with Advance Wars.

And hey, if we're lucky enough to get Andy or whoever as Fighter 11, Sakurai would post an anniversary tweet like he does for everything else in Smash, And this Friday no less if it was revealed in a Direct this week.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wow, if this is all true, color me surprised! In regards to voice acting, I really thought Andy would get Antony Del Rio or a sound-alike.
I'm kinda glad it wasn't ADR because I don't really want Andy to sound like Pit lol.

From my fan cast some years back, I had Andy being voiced by Joshua Seth (Tai in Digimon Adventure) as well as Bryce Papenbrook (Zidane in FF9). Ironically enough, both Bryce & Veronica have voiced Trainer Red from Pokemon in some shape or form (Bryce as Red in Pokemon Origins, Veronica as Ash Ketchum from Seasons 1-8 in the anime).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, here's something of interest:

This is a thread for a hypothetical Ultimate sequal. We recently voted to have an Advance Wars rep as a playable character. Though we actually had two submitted (Andy and Sami), so now we're debating who that should be.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I threw my two cents in. It was a fun discussion.

ELI5 - people were unsure what would suit an AW rep better - run and gun action or unit summoning. Funnily enough we settled on both where big units would instantaneously spawn in as chargers smash attacks but the rep would still have some over the top run and gun attacks to provide both brunt force and elusive maneuvering

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I saw the discussion but I didn't really feel like participating. I get that Sami is the fan favorite of the franchise and all but people seriously sleep on Andy IMO.

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
Hi! Advance Wars was a huge part of my childhood. I'm even one of those weirdos that really liked Days of Ruin! I think I've wanted an Advance Wars rep in Smash since Brawl, and with the announcement of the remakes Advance Wars fighter stocks are at an all time high!

I think a mix of using wrenches, summoning in vehicle units in smash attacks / specials (like Bayonetta fists or Pac Man attacks?) would be amazing.

Definitely put me in as an Andy supporter 🙂

(Also not gonna lie, the 2nd biggest reason I would want Andy in Smash is the smallest chance we would get some Days of Ruin tracks in the game. Amazing songs there)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hi! Advance Wars was a huge part of my childhood. I'm even one of those weirdos that really liked Days of Ruin! I think I've wanted an Advance Wars rep in Smash since Brawl, and with the announcement of the remakes Advance Wars fighter stocks are at an all time high!

I think a mix of using wrenches, summoning in vehicle units in smash attacks / specials (like Bayonetta fists or Pac Man attacks?) would be amazing.

Definitely put me in as an Andy supporter 🙂

(Also not gonna lie, the 2nd biggest reason I would want Andy in Smash is the smallest chance we would get some Days of Ruin tracks in the game. Amazing songs there)
Welcome aboard my friend! You will be added to the support list.

I've also been wanting an Advance Wars rep since the Brawl days. I remember seeing the Infantry & Tank AT in Brawl and thinking that Andy might have been a hidden unlockable lol. I also liked Days of Ruin but not so much as an Advance Wars game (kinda wish it was a spinoff series TBH).

I'm kinda skeptical of Andy's chances. I mean I think he has a chance for sure and that people are writing off the chances for an AW character. I just don't think he's one of the more likely characters the way an SMT character is or an Undertale character. Here's hoping for him being Fighter 11 though!

Love your moveset concept! I've gone through so many different movesets for Andy I lost count haha.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Happy 20th anniversary to Advance Wars indeed!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Feels so good knowing this franchise isn't dead anymore. I mean, i've been so used to hearing things like "Advance Wars is dead and never coming back" and "Nintendo only cares about Fire Emblem now" that this doesn't feel real to me TBH. I mean thank goodness because I was getting sick to death hearing those things over and over again from people who think they know everything. I want these remakes to sell like hotcakes so I never have to relive that era ever again.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Feels so good knowing this franchise isn't dead anymore. I mean, i've been so used to hearing things like "Advance Wars is dead and never coming back" and "Nintendo only cares about Fire Emblem now" that this doesn't feel real to me TBH
Even though I got into the series after it had gone dormant, I'm glad that I'll be able to properly support the series once Re--Boot Camp is out!
Given that I'm still quite new to Twitter, I was worried that NoA would spend the entire day roleplaying as Wario. At least now I know that isn't the case and they can still tweet about the anniversary. I got to admit that using their account to roleplay as Wario is a good marketing strategy. What if they did something similar for AW? Like roleplaying as Andy or Nell.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Even though I got into the series after it had gone dormant, I'm glad that I'll be able to properly support the series once Re--Boot Camp is out!
Given that I'm still quite new to Twitter, I was worried that NoA would spend the entire day roleplaying as Wario. At least now I know that isn't the case and they can still tweet about the anniversary. I got to admit that using their account to roleplay as Wario is a good marketing strategy. What if they did something similar for AW? Like roleplaying as Andy or Nell.
NoA roleplaying as Commander Nell would be funny/cute. It would sort of be like the Isabelle Twitter account but for Advance Wars instead.

Alternatively, it could be Olaf "seizing control of Orange Star's social media" and just him talking about how much he loathes Nell & Orange Star. That would be even more funny.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
NoA roleplaying as Commander Nell would be funny/cute. It would sort of be like the Isabelle Twitter account but for Advance Wars instead.

Alternatively, it could be Olaf "seizing control of Orange Star's social media" and just him talking about how much he loathes Nell & Orange Star. That would be even more funny.
Now imagine if the leaks are true and they got the voice actors involved!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now imagine if the leaks are true and they got the voice actors involved!
Oh that would be sweet. If the VA leaks are true, imagine if we got Matthew Mercer voicing Grit in his southern accent and Veronica Taylor voicing Andy, almost sounding like Ash. And all of the tweets are just the characters breaking the 4th wall and maybe some inside jokes about Advance Wars (i.e. "What's an airport again?")

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
If I had to guess as to why Nintendo didn't tweet about AW's 20th anniversary, I'd say it's because of what happened on September 11th. But we should start to get more info in the upcoming months.

I've seen people discuss the idea of Re-Boot Camp changing a major event in the story of AW2. And I figured I could share my thoughts on said idea with you.

People have said that what if Re-Boot Camp hits at Sturm still being alive?

We know that most fans were disappointed with Von Bolt in Dual Strike as the main villain. We also know that at the end of said game, Hawke and Lash pretty much changed sides. As for Von Bolt, he's pretty much useless without his chair. In other words, Kindle was left in charge of the Black Hole Army alongside Jugger and Koal.

Here's an idea of mine: What if Kindle helps Sturm recover and launches a new invasion? I assume Adder and Flak would join her, given that they didn't have a change of heart like Lash and Hawke. This way the developers can give Jugger and Koal unique abilities/powers. While bringing back Sturm and keeping Adder and Flak.

Personally, this is how I picture a new game in the series.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, tomorrow will likely make or break the leaks from earlier, I suppose. They were so all-encompassing that it is hard to imagine AW getting a gameplay showcase and them not being confirmed/disconfirmed one way or another...

Beyond that, I'm just excited to see more of the game!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, tomorrow will likely make or break the leaks from earlier, I suppose. They were so all-encompassing that it is hard to imagine AW getting a gameplay showcase and them not being confirmed/disconfirmed one way or another...

I'm about 99.9% sure it's gonna be "break", haha. Those leaks seem like nonsense to me. But agreed, I can't wait for more news!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
We are finally getting news!

I'm about 99.9% sure it's gonna be "break", haha. Those leaks seem like nonsense to me. But agreed, I can't wait for more news!
Gonna be interesting hearing whatever news to come out for Re-Boot Camp. Also consider that they haven't showed off anything to do with the 2nd Advance Wars not to mention all the other features. We'll also see if the leaks are true like the rumored voice acting and all the extra stuff that was rumored.

And I know this doesn't have the best likelihood of happening but i'm still holding out hope for Andy in Smash Ultimate tomorrow. Doesn't have the best chances but it's not impossible IMO. In fact, it could be announced alongside the game's Japan release date (on that note, I really hope the Japanese release for Re-Boot Camp is announced in this Direct, with or without Smash).

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
I want the smash reveal to appear to be andy but then sami comes along and stomps his hq and she's the one who gets in smash instead,

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I want the smash reveal to appear to be andy but then sami comes along and stomps his hq and she's the one who gets in smash instead,
I mean, I for one would not like Andy to get Chrom'd or Springman'd but that's just me. If something like that were to happen, i'd like it if Andy, Sami, & Max were a 3-in-1 fighter like Pokemon Trainer.

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
well in a perfectly ideal world sakurai would open up witha solemn apology for shafting advance wars for so long and give us 3 separate fighters. but that wont happen so i want the one that's my personal favorite, sami. That being said, in a perfectly ideal world, advance wars never would have been shafted in the first place and we'd be talking about the possibility of a 4th or 5th rep right now

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I'm afraid of the ASTRONOMICAL amounts of hate Advance Wars would get if Andy got in as the final character. . .

If Andy did got in, what would his splash screen title be?

I also noticed that the trailer for Re-Boot Camp has gotten some extra views quite recently. Nice.

Here's an underrated AW meme I found:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm afraid of the ASTRONOMICAL amounts of hate Advance Wars would get if Andy got in as the final character. . .
Honestly, I haven't been participating in speculation much today for that very reason. It's hard for me to get truly amped up at the prospect of the entire internet having a reason to **** on one of my favourite characters or franchises...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
well in a perfectly ideal world sakurai would open up witha solemn apology for shafting advance wars for so long and give us 3 separate fighters. but that wont happen so i want the one that's my personal favorite, sami. That being said, in a perfectly ideal world, advance wars never would have been shafted in the first place and we'd be talking about the possibility of a 4th or 5th rep right now
Okay fair enough, All i'm saying is that there could be a possibility where Andy, Sami, & Max get in together and have the same specials but with different Melee attacks. That's what I meant by a 3 in 1 fighter. I do agree Advance Wars should have been repped before, like in Brawl even.

If Andy did got in, what would his splash screen title be?

I also noticed that the trailer for Re-Boot Camp has gotten some extra views quite recently. Nice.

Here's an underrated AW meme I found:
I mean, I don't think there would be too much hate other than people being like "wow another character from a game that's like Fire Emblem oh my god" or something lol. Maybe that's hyperbole but I can't think of much else other than people wanting it to be their character or having a pre-conceived notion that Smash has to go out with a "bang".

Andy's splash card would be something like "Andy Advances The War" or "Andy Takes His Turn". Something like that, i'm sure they'll come up with a neat title card if he were revealed tomorrow.

I haven't checked in a while. Last time, it was hovering below 300K views which is a bit disappointing. I wanted Re-Boot Camp to break 1M views but perhaps once we get closer to release date, fan interest will really pick up.
Honestly, I haven't been participating in speculation much today for that very reason. It's hard for me to get truly amped up at the prospect of the entire internet having a reason to **** on one of my favourite characters or franchises...
I mean, it wouldn't be like the Smash community reacting to another FE character getting in but at the same time, it is the last Smash fighter for Ultimate so yeah lol. And to be fair, I know what it's like to be bummed out when speculation is all said and done so I can't be too mad at those people. Still, holding on to hope that Advance Wars takes the last spot for Smash Ultimate DLC.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Let's hope that in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, Japanese AW fans get their well-deserved Japanese localization announced. 🤞

Translation: "This is the first time l've heard that there is Nintendo Direct and l'm trying to see it from overseas instead of Japan from the beginning!"

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Let's hope that in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, Japanese AW fans get their well-deserved Japanese localization announced. 🤞

Translation: "This is the first time l've heard that there is Nintendo Direct and l'm trying to see it from overseas instead of Japan from the beginning!"
Oh yeah, i've seen a lot of Japanese fans expressing their desire to see Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp localized. I'm really hoping to see the announcement of a release over there in this Direct, with or without Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, it wouldn't be like the Smash community reacting to another FE character getting in but at the same time, it is the last Smash fighter for Ultimate so yeah lol. And to be fair, I know what it's like to be bummed out when speculation is all said and done so I can't be too mad at those people. Still, holding on to hope that Advance Wars takes the last spot for Smash Ultimate DLC.
Obviously there are layers to this and some outcomes will result in more chaos then others, but I think speculation is kind of a powder keg at this point... Hope is good! I like hope and I like discussing possibilities. The problem comes when groups convince themselves that their most-wanted is the only possible outcome, which is just asking for stuff to blow up badly...

Hopefully I'm just being overly pessimistic, but I am not currently feeling too hype for how the community will be tomorrow... but I am looking forward for AW news, Smash or no.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Obviously there are layers to this and some outcomes will result in more chaos then others, but I think speculation is kind of a powder keg at this point... Hope is good! I like hope and I like discussing possibilities. The problem comes when groups convince themselves that their most-wanted is the only possible outcome, which is just asking for stuff to blow up badly...

Hopefully I'm just being overly pessimistic, but I am not currently feeling too hype for how the community will be tomorrow... but I am looking forward for AW news, Smash or no.
True true. This is the last character after all so blowback is to be expected regardless. I mean hey, they could literally reveal Sora or Master Chief tomorrow and you'll have tons of people pissed off somehow. Granted, it varies from character to character but unless they drop another FE character, I think we'll manage whatever blowback the reception will skew more positive than negative.

And hey, if the last character were Andy i'd be on Cloud 9 regardless. Smash Twitter can burn for all I care as long as I get my boy. :)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Very upset with the lack of news, the fact that Nintendo isn't bothering to market this game is very discouraging and to top it off, there's still no Japanese release date.

This like, really REALLY sucks. Very unhappy right now.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Very upset with the lack of news, the fact that Nintendo isn't bothering to market this game is very discouraging and to top it off, there's still no Japanese release date.

This like, really REALLY sucks. Very unhappy right now.
Yup, it's quite irritating. Nintendo not giving a crap about AW is hardly surprising, but the least they could do is allow Wayforward to talk about it if they don't want to talk about it themselves. I am sure WF would be happy to.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yup, it's quite irritating. Nintendo not giving a crap about AW is hardly surprising, but the least they could do is allow Wayforward to talk about it if they don't want to talk about it themselves. I am sure WF would be happy to.
WayForward in June: Thanks for the positive reception, stay tuned to Nintendo for more news on this game.

Nintendo: complete radio silence in their biggest presentation of the year

Y'know, it's almost like we're being set up to fail. This sounds awfully nostalgic (thinks back to Dual Strike & Days of Ruin).
Nintendo's logic in a nutshell:View attachment 331373
Also this.

I guess our Smash Bros prospects are completely shot after this. FML.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
WayForward in June: Thanks for the positive reception, stay tuned to Nintendo for more news on this game.

Nintendo: complete radio silence in their biggest presentation of the year

Y'know, it's almost like we're being set up to fail. This sounds awfully nostalgic (thinks back to Dual Strike & Days of Ruin).

Also this.

I guess our Smash Bros prospects are completely shot after this. FML.

With respect, sir, have you been hiding under a rock since E3 to not notice that Metroid Dread is clearly the game Nintendo wants to push hard right now, especially now that it's only two weeks from release? Avoiding spoilers, perhaps? And they didn't need a direct for 90% of it.

This direct seemed to be aimed at games either releasing very soon, or in 2022. Advance Wars is currently in a slightly awkward spot right now where it's already got it's announcement trailer at E3, yet it's current release date is a bit too far off at the moment to start a big push and keep a potential audience interested.

Can you at least wait until after Dread finally releases before making any condemnations?

sonic black knight drama.jpg

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

With respect, sir, have you been hiding under a rock since E3 to not notice that Metroid Dread is clearly the game Nintendo wants to push hard right now, especially now that it's only two weeks from release? Avoiding spoilers, perhaps? And they didn't need a direct for 90% of it.

This direct seemed to be aimed at games either releasing very soon, or in 2022. Advance Wars is currently in a slightly awkward spot right now where it's already got it's announcement trailer at E3, yet it's current release date is a bit too far off at the moment to start a big push and keep a potential audience interested.

Can you at least wait until after Dread finally releases before making any condemnations?

View attachment 331397
Bruh, that makes no sense. Why would they at least not throw in a trailer to market to people who aren't sold on the remakes (i.e. why they need to buy this game). This is literally not an issue of them only wanting to promote Metroid Dread, otherwise this Direct would have been nothing but news on that game only. Clearly, that wasn't the case since Mario Party had a segment and even SMTV was featured. This is one of the big 3 Directs, where consumers are paying the most attention. Throwing this game in some random ass mini-direct in November isn't going to cut it. Or even worse, just posting Youtube trailers and calling it a day.

And hell, that's hardly even the only issue. There's still complete radio silence on the Japanese release date. I'm getting Game Boy Wars 1 + 2 vibes where they released years after release and performed terribly. That's not how you market a game and that's how you set up a game to fail.

Please do not accuse me of that, I have every reason to feel the way I do right now and I hope you understand.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Bruh, that makes no sense. Why would they at least not throw in a trailer to market to people who aren't sold on the remakes (i.e. why they need to buy this game). This is literally not an issue of them only wanting to promote Metroid Dread, otherwise this Direct would have been nothing but news on that game only. Clearly, that wasn't the case since Mario Party had a segment and even SMTV was featured. This is one of the big 3 Directs, where consumers are paying the most attention. Throwing this game in some random ass mini-direct in November isn't going to cut it. Or even worse, just posting Youtube trailers and calling it a day.

And hell, that's hardly even the only issue. There's still complete radio silence on the Japanese release date. I'm getting Game Boy Wars 1 + 2 vibes where they released years after release and performed terribly. That's not how you market a game and that's how you set up a game to fail.

Please do not excuse me of that, I have every reason to feel the way I do right now and I hope you understand.
"Just posting Youtube trailers" seems to be working pretty well for Dread. Now, it is a bit of an unfair comparison since one is a remake with some people already aware of what the games are about and the other is a brand spanking new episode in a series that fans have been waiting for longer than the last Wars related games ever released... ahem.

I understand. I just try not to let myself get so emotionally invested in what's supposed to be a hobby that I cause myself anguish when things don't go my way.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Just posting Youtube trailers" seems to be working pretty well for Dread.
Big difference my friend. One is a well-established franchise that has had exposure in Smash Bros since it started. The other is a long-dormant franchise that needs all the marketing it can get to not only succeed but build up it's popularity. That's not even mentioning all the bad luck it's seen in Japan in the past. Nintendo isn't even giving it a chance to succeed over there which is infuriating.

Top Bottom